• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Game Discussion

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I'm getting tired of using the SF4 thread as a fg discussion thread so I decided to make one.

Post here if you play GG, Vampire, BB, SF, MB, CvS, MAHVEL, KoF, JJBA, HnK, Smash, Tekken, VF, w/e as long as its a fg and it's a little competitive.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Alright. I've been getting into Melee. Here is my story:

I started off playing as...Link. Yeah, I've always been a speed guy in games, so this wasn't for me. At the time I picked up Monster Hunter Tri though,and have gained respect for slow weapons. (Though Long Sword is my favorite). Still, going back to my roots [Long Sword], I love Speed. It's probably why Tyranitar is my favorite Pokemon, as he is one of the faster strong bulky Pokemon (If that makes sense)

Going back to Melee, I picked up Mewtwo and couldn't handle him. It wasn't because he sucks so much as I can't handle slow sluggish things, it's not my style. So I moved to Sheik a bit, then realized, "holy crap Marth is fun" I also did some research and realized Marth is a pretty cool character in the games he is in as well. So I began to main Marth in Melee, and Brawl, as of recently. I like the guy.

Moving off of Melee, I'm probably going to get Street Fighter (Super) IV soon, an the character I want to be is Claw..but he sucks apparently? Since he does, I'll probably be Ryu, fast, effective, and...though he is the head of the series, I've always liked Ryu.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Moving off of Melee, I'm probably going to get Street Fighter (Super) IV soon, an the character I want to be is Claw..but he sucks apparently? Since he does, I'll probably be Ryu, fast, effective, and...though he is the head of the series, I've always liked Ryu.
Vega doesn't suck, he's mid tier.

Please don't play Ryu. There are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many Ryu players. Ken and Akuma too.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
As ETWIST said, don't pick Ryu since there are so many of him, Ken, and Akuma. I think you're getting Vega's placing mixed up with his Vanilla placing which was near the bottom (with Dan as usual being the bottom). I would look into Chun-Li as well. Maybe it's just me, and a gigantic stretch, but I might be willing to call Marth the Smash equivalent of Chun-Li (pokes:sword swings).

Anyway, I think, thanks to SF4, I can finally say I have my own preference in style: Mobile and speedy with mixups and okizeme. It's too bad that I can't seem to find one character in BlazBlue that satisfies this. I'll look into Guilty Gear for that one. It looks like Spider-Man and Ammy might satisfy my needs in Marvel as Ammy seems tool-based which allows for mixups, and Spider-Man looks like he has that mobility I'm looking for.

If I ever get back in SSB seriously, I don't know who'd I pick now.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I have the same problem with BB. Bang, Ara, Valk, Makoto, and Jin are my types but I can't choose. GG is Faust allllll daiiiiiii.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
As ETWIST said, don't pick Ryu since there are so many of him, Ken, and Akuma. I think you're getting Vega's placing mixed up with his Vanilla placing which was near the bottom (with Dan as usual being the bottom). I would look into Chun-Li as well. Maybe it's just me, and a gigantic stretch, but I might be willing to call Marth the Smash equivalent of Chun-Li (pokes:sword swings).

Anyway, I think, thanks to SF4, I can finally say I have my own preference in style: Mobile and speedy with mixups and okizeme. It's too bad that I can't seem to find one character in BlazBlue that satisfies this. I'll look into Guilty Gear for that one. It looks like Spider-Man and Ammy might satisfy my needs in Marvel as Ammy seems tool-based which allows for mixups, and Spider-Man looks like he has that mobility I'm looking for.

If I ever get back in SSB seriously, I don't know who'd I pick now.

Lets put is this way:

In RPGs I've always been Assasin/Ninjas, I like fast an effective. Marth, kinda defines that.

In SSF4 (I really haven't played a whole llot of SF in years), I don't know "who I'd be"

I think (before playing) it comes down to Chun-Li, Ryu, and Vega(Claw?)

I'm talking about the guy with the mask on, who is apparently really fast?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I have the same problem with BB. Bang, Ara, Valk, Makoto, and Jin are my types but I can't choose. GG is Faust allllll daiiiiiii.
Well, in my case, the characters that I have an interest in: Noel, Taokaka, Tsubaki, Makoto, either suck or focus too much on one area (Tao) for my liking.
Lets put is this way:

In RPGs I've always been Assasin/Ninjas, I like fast an effective. Marth, kinda defines that.

In SSF4 (I really haven't played a whole llot of SF in years), I don't know "who I'd be"

I think (before playing) it comes down to Chun-Li, Ryu, and Vega(Claw?)

I'm talking about the guy with the mask on, who is apparently really fast?
Chun-Li and Vega are some of the fastest walkers in the game and Chun-Li has a really nice backdash. Vega is more about mixups because of his ambigious wall-jump while Chun-Li is more about pressure and spacing. If you're just starting out, I'd go with Chun-Li at first and then decide once you get more accustomed to the battle system.

And outside of Japan, Vega=Claw, Balrog=Boxer, and Bison=Dictator.

Now that I think about it, if I have Spider-Man and Ammy, who should I look at for one more character?

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Vega isn't really a "fast" char really, All he does is mixup and counterpoke really. I think the chars you lookin for are like Rufus, Cammy, Juri, and Seth. They're fast.

Now that I think about it, if I have Spider-Man and Ammy, who should I look at for one more character?
Weskerrrrrrrr

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Hmmm Iunnno, I just know I've never been great with slow characters. Watching me try to master Mewtwo's basic things was atrocious. And in MH, I'm so much better with SNS/Long Sword over the sluggish things XD.

But neither am I a button masher, so don't get the wrong idea :p

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Yeah, as Etwist said, Rufus, Cammy, Juri, and Seth are good rushdowns. Balrog is too, but, aside from Cammy and Seth, they are all very sluggish with major bullcrap that helps their rushdowns + they are hard-shelled turtles. Cammy is a very technical character and you will need to practice a lot if you truly want to succeed as all of her best combos are 1-frame links, sometimes multiple 1-framers in the same combo. To top it all off, several of her best combos are character-specific!

Sakura has a scary rushdown too. Don't assume she's bad. She is very solid.

Seth can be fast, but a lot of characters have such good tools to keep him from getting in that it can get hardcore discouraging. Once he gets oki, the magic starts though.

Other great rushdowns are Abel, Akuma, Dudley, and Bison (also a zoner).

btw, in MvC3 I'm definitely picking up X-23 and Arthur, and my third is a choice between MODOK, Wesker, and Ammy. 2/3 of these choices will inevitably suck though and MODOK might be a bad assist.

Boycott CSII.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I play a ton of fighters, and I still like going back to a lot of old ones. My mains are

SSF2T - Ryu, Guile
SFA2 - Ken, Rolento
SFA3 - Ryu
SFIII3S - Ibuki, Ken, Q
SSFIV - Ibuki, Cammy, Ken
MvC2 - Team Clockwork, MSP, and Spidey/Doom/BB Hood
CvS2 - C groove Guile/Rolento/Ken K Groove Hibiki/Cammy/Rock
GGXXAC - Ky, Dizzy, Millia, May
BBCS - Rachel
Vampire Savior - Jedah, BB Hood
SSB64 - Link
Melee - Marth, Link, Falco

I didn't play TvC enough to have a team I truly liked. When I used to play Brawl, I guess I'd use Pika and Marth.
My character choices vary, but I tend to like characters who are rushdown or control space really well.

In MvC3, I'm planning on using Spidey/X-23/Amaterasu or Spidey/Tron/Doom or Dormammu.
Of course, this will change once they show off newer characters.

cutter

Smash Champion
My fighting game summary in a nutshell is that I played a ton of Darkstalkers and Mahvel growing up. I use Row in MvC2 along with B.B. Hood/Doom/CapCom when I like to mess around and be a *****. Not too big a fan of TvC mainly because when it came out I only recognized the Capcom characters lol.

My current team for MvC3 at the moment is Magneto/Dormammu/Doom, but I want to see more than two videos showcasing Magneto in how he's changed from MvC2. I also am quite eager to squeeze in MODOK because I love his playstyle and I know at least several people I can piss off with him :cool:.

kr3wman

Smash Master
I play alot of fighting games, my favorites are HnK and Smash 64

ST - Balrog/Guile
SFA - none really, never played it that much.
3s - Akuma
SF4 - Guile
Smash 64/Melee - Falcon
Brawl - Snake/Kirby
TvC - Ryu/V.Joe/Polymar/Ippatsuman, never got into it too seriously, I really dislike playing on a pad and I can't even afford a stick, so I'm not thinking about two.
HnK - Kenshirou
MvC2 - Scrub/Row/ Cable/Sent/Cykes
GG - Slayer
CvS2 - C-Guile/X/Y, haven't really played the game much, but I love Guile and he's good in that game.
Tekken - I'd play that Fei Long guy, and Gon in 3 (or was it 2?)
SC - Maxi

I'd like to learn the poverty fighters (MB/AH/VS, etc) but I don't really even have the time to improve my SF/Marvel/HnK game, but you know, everyone by now ***** new players at Marvel and I'm literally the only HnK player in my area.

My first 'classic' 2d fg was 3S so that was kinda rough, still love it tho.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
SSFIV - Dhalsim, Rufus, soul searching
BBCS - Lambda-11, Bang (in process)
MvC2 - Duc (Spiral-A/Cable-B/Sentinel-Y), Scrub (Cable-B/Sentinel-Y/Captain Commando-B), Scrubclops (Cable-B/Sentinel-Y/Cyclops-B), need to work on my Storm so I can play teams like Santhrax, Matrix, etc.
SFIIHDR - Dhalsim, Sagat
SFA2 - Don't know, got it recently and haven't actually played it yet lol.
TvC - Ryu/Chun/TekkaBlade (don't actually own it)
Dissidia FF - Emperor, Bartz (don't actually own it anymore)
Smash64 - Kirby (don't play anymore)
Melee - Peach (don't play anymore)
Mario Party 10 (aka Brawl) - The ledge

So if it wasn't obvious from all those, I really like zoning.

I'd really like to play GG, 3S, MB, AH, KoF, and HnK.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
SSB64 - Fox, Ness
Melee - Fox, Peach, Ness
Brawl (lol) - Lucas, Pit, Zamus
SSFIV - El Fuerte
BlazBlue - Soul Searching
TvC - Doronjo, Chun-Li
Soul Calibur II - Talim, Link
Tekken 3,4 - Xiaoyu

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
SSF2T - Guile
SF3 - (eh) necro
SSFIV - Cammy
MvC2 - Jill/Sentinel/Venom (obscure, yet effective)
GGXXAC - eddie/baiken
SSB64 - Falcon
Melee - Everybody

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Super Street Fighter IV • Ken
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom • Zero & Ryu
BlazBlue Continuum Shift • Ragna the Bloodedge
Super Smash Bros. • Captain Falcon
Super Smash Bros. Melee • Ganondorf & Marth
Super Smash Bros. Brawl • Sonic the Hedgehog
Dissidia Final Fantasy • Cloud Strife
Melty Blood: Act Cadenza • Arcueid Brunestud
Melty Blood: Actress Again • Arcueid Brunestud (C/H/F-moon styles)
Fate/Unlimited Codes • Saber

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I forgot to add Melty Blood on my list. My mains for that are H Len and F Miyako.
And while I don't play Fate/Unlimited Codes really, I use Saber.
I played a tiny bit of KoF XI and liked using Kula, K', and Kyo.

Games I'm looking to play more are Hokuto no Ken, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, and possibly Arcana Heart 3 once that comes out and I end up liking it.

Atlus8

Smash Master
Me like this thread! <3

CvS2 - C Groove Kim/Rock/Ken
Tekken - Feng Wei
Melee - Falco,Puff
MvC2 - Magneto/Strider/Sentinel
GGXXAC - Johnny/I-No
Third Strike - Yun

I play other fighters too, but these are the ones I enjoyed most! First got into CvS2 way back in middle school, but didn't get serious with it! I remember getting Tekken 5 around my Junior year back in high school and played with a friend and his brother most of the time! Got into Melee around mid 2006 and have loved it ever since! I casually played MvC2 back in middle school, but really got into it around late last year I think! Around 2008, I saw a Koichi vid where he took down so many players and became hooked to GG! Picked up Johnny first after I saw a combo vid by MSY! I gave 3S a try since there was a short while where some Melee players here in SoCal decided to pick it up!

Fighter are the s#!+

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
I loved Bloody Roar. I, too, only have a vague memory of it, but I liked... ehh... wierd monster guy with a throw that throws you into his back spikes, Bat girl, and wierd, Chameleon guy.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
My Fighting Game Mains

SF2:HF Ken, Ryu, Blanka, Guile & Vega
SSF2T DJ, Ken
SF3S Akuma I dont really like 3s to much
MVC War Machine Strider Chun li (those are like the only characters i like & i suck @ the game
SF4 & SSF4 Balrog I play with others but he is my true main
Vampire Savior Jedah L.Raptor (Learning the game only because i wanna wave dash)

I wanted to learn kof but whenever i play i just get extremely bored. but the game is fun to watch @ a high lvl

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
SF2: Chun Li, Guile
SFA3: Cody, Chun Li, Ken
TvC: Chun Li, Zero (with a little Frank West here and there)
MvC2: Spiderman, Ken, Chun Li
Melee: Link, Pikachu, Roy
Brawl: Link, Ike, Marth
Dissidia: Cloud, Tidus

Love fighting games. Favourite genre of games next to RPG. Not a hardcore player or anything like that, but eh. Need to try out Blazblue sometime...

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Anyway, I think, thanks to SF4, I can finally say I have my own preference in style: Mobile and speedy with mixups and okizeme. It's too bad that I can't seem to find one character in BlazBlue that satisfies this.
The entire game satisfies that. The system itself revolves around mobile and speedy mixups and okizeme. Pick any character.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I was just thinking... What are characters in FG series that you want to make a comeback in newer games? I feel like I'd be way more into SSF4 if it had oro or necro from third strike. Even other characters would do.

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
i play way to many fighters, thus i suck at all of them

ssf4- honda, hawk, guile, ryu
hdr- honda, ryu, dj, guile, chun li
st- honda, o. hawk, guile, ryn
3s- yang, yun, alex, q, hugo
jojo- kakyoin, iggy, n. kakyoin
tvc- yatterman 1/souki or roll or alex
msh- spiderman, america
ggac- potemkin, zappa, faust
hnk- heart-sama, rei
sc2- nightmare
sc1- taki, nightmare
mbaa- aoko (haven't played it in forever though)
umk3- i think maskless sub-zero and kung lao
mk2- raiden, liu kang
mk9- nightwolf, cage
t6- miguel, ganryu
vf- either aoi or kage
ah3- saki, elsa, heart, kira
mvc3- task/chris/spencer
cvs2- k-benimaru/honda/kyo
kof2002um- kusanagi/benimaru/athena
kof13- probably kyo/benimaru/robert

i really wanna play ah3. zenia, elsa, and eko seem like the coolest characters. plus mvc3, mk9, ttt2. too many fighters coming out

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The entire game satisfies that. The system itself revolves around mobile and speedy mixups and okizeme. Pick any character.
Really? Never seemed like that. Whenever I would watch videos, it was more about landing combos. Maybe I just need someone a bit more strategic for my tastes. I guess I'll try Arakune or Rachel.

GigaBowserXyZ

Smash Journeyman
eh i don't think i played too many but why not?

Blazblue: Tager
Brawl: Bowser
SSF4: Zangief (even though i only played for 2 days >.>)
Guilty Gear (soon to play): Potemkin
Melee: Mewtwo
Soul Calibur 4: Algol, Nightmare
TMNT TF (snes): Armageddon
Soul Calibur 2: Nightmare

also anyone know of tmnt tournament fighters for snes? that game is one of my childhood games. i mained armageddon. :D

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I just got through playing some more Vampire Savior awhile ago.
Game's so amazing.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
also anyone know of tmnt tournament fighters for snes? that game is one of my childhood games. i mained armageddon. :D
I was playin this shiz today. I also main him. Fireball + Dive + unpunishable DP = top tier.

Wingnuts rushdown is crazy tho.

I couldn't live without VS either. It's my fg of choice. Im bout to get on GGPO.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
@GigaBowser: Raph and Wingnut are def the best chars. Raphs Fireball traps are just too good. Chromedomes fun but he's terrible until you can set up his unblockable.

@zman: If you like grapplers then youll like Victor. He's one of the worst but vs is really balanced (until you get to anakaris, who is crap). His j.fierce is one of the most ridiculous moves out there.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I play a bunch of fighters, some old school too. But to make my list of stuff so far...

Brawl: Marth/Wario
Melee: Marth/Falcon
Killer Instinct Gold: Orchid, Jago
SFIV: Sakura, Ryu
Soul Calibur: Xianghua, Kilik
Guilty Gear X2 (since I don't have Accent Core yet): Millia (main), Faust, Venom (secondary)
Blazblue: Noel (main), Ragna, Litchi (secondary)
SF2HDRemix: Cammy, Ken

I think there's more, but can't remember now.

Top Bottom