• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mass Madness Ranking Battle +$250 to singles pot!

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Mass Madness presents:
New England Ranking Battle #1

In order to help further the community and eventually be bringing new faces into it we're going to be kicking off 2011 with a Ranking Battle!​

I recently made some changes to how this will be run. Please see the bottom of this post for that information.

VENUE:
Game Underground
1251 Worcester Road
Framingham, MA
508-283-1503

ENTRY FEE AND PAYOUTS:

$10
The event will pay out to the top5.
48% / 22% / 14% / 8% / 4%

Teams will only be happening under the circumstances that this event does not take the entire day.
If teams happens it will be
$10 entry fee/$5 per person
The event will pay out to top3.
55% / 30% / 15%

SCHEDULE:

11am - The venue opens and sign ups immediately begin.

1pm - Sign ups are over, and the pool will be starting very shortly after.

There will be food breaks for those who play enough matches or will be having enough time between matches to get food.
There is a McDonalds literally next door.

11pm - The venue closes

MELEE RULESET

SINGLES
Default Stages

Fountain of Dreams
Yoshi's Story
Final Destination
Battlefield
Dreamland 64

Counterpick Stages

Donkey Kong 64
Pokemon Stadium
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise

DOUBLES
Default Stages:

Pokemon Stadium
Yoshi's Story
Final Destination
Battlefield
Dreamland 64

Counterpick Stages:

Donkey Kong 64
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise

stage strike is as follows:
1-2-2-1​

- Matches are best out of 3 with advanced slob picks and dave's stupid rule (explained below).

Advanced Slob Picks:
The first game in a set is double-blind, and the stage is random (using the random stages listed in the stage selection section).

The following applies to any game in a set played after the first:
The loser of the previous game declares the stage to be used, using any stage that isn't banned. The winner of the previous game then chooses his character. Lastly, the loser of the previous game chooses his character, and the game can start.

- Dave's Modified Stupid Rule: No stage may be used twice in a single set if the player choosing already won on that stage.

- All games are played with 4 stock, 8 minutes, and no items. Any tie that occurs is settled by comparing stocks remaining (More stocks = win). If there is a tie remaining after comparing stock, compare damage % (Less damage % = win). If a tie remains after comparing stocks and damage %, play out sudden death.

- Before any stage is selected both players may agree to play on a specific stage or to not play on one of the random stages. (If both players don't like Battlefield, then you can agree that Battlefield will not be played if it comes up as the random stage)

Stage Striking:
At the beginning of the set, each player may strike one stage from the random list.
(It is only banned from the random selection, and can still be counter-picked later in the set)

Counterpick Striking:
After finishing a match, the winning player can choose to strike any stage from being selected by their opponent.

Additional Rules:

Players may have a coach that can give advice to a player for one minute in-between games. As soon as the stage is declared, the coach must not say anything to the player (in terms of advice) until the match ends.

• Glitches that freeze a character, freeze the game, or simply make the game unfinishable are banned and using them will result in losing the entire set.

Mages DQ Rule:
• • • 2 Minutes Late – Warning
• • • 4 Minutes Late – Loss of first match of set
• • • 6 Minutes Late – Loss of set

• You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

• Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be disqualified from the tournament with no refund.

• Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer. Failure to comply can also result in disqualification.

• Do not leave during the tournament unless given permission. If you leave without permission and you have a match called during the time you are out the Mages DQ rule applies to you. This will be strictly enforced.

• Watch the amount of profanity in the air. This store is generally considered a family friendly area, and there are small kids and their parents that show up to these tournaments. Do your best to watch yourself, we don't want to give the smash community a bad name.

So how exactly is this going to work?
I will be running 2 rounds of pools, followed by a bracket. The players will be ranked using the results from this and Hall of Gaming 3 put into an Elo rating system.

You can find more information here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system
and here:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=226443
Big ups tho this thread^
If I didn't see it and read it I would never have known about this system.

I'll be creating an official thread at the end of January displaying the results.

I'm really, really excited about this event!
Bring anybody you know who plays smash to this! It'll be a fun experience for everybody. You'll play the best of the best and players of your skill level.

If you have any questions you may ask them here, send me a PM or contact me by e-mail at MattDotZeb@gmail.com

omnicloud7strife

Smash Apprentice
Well, this seems like a lot of fun. :O

I'll almost certainly be there. Since, it seems like a lot of fun, and a ton of matches. :D

HYPE!

(First)

Pine

Smash Ace
so just to clarify. this will be the way we determine that i am the best in new england right?

i will most likely probably have to attend this event

edit: which of my 13~ chars should i pick up for this tourn? i am thinking my mario needs to make a comeback

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
dont be ridiculous matt

you cant run a round robin with everyone that enters lmao wtf

if 30 people go you have 900 sets, that ****s not about to happen

unless im missing something of course

ycz12

Smash Ace
If 30 people go there will be 435 sets, not 900.

Of course, this is still a lot, and a Swiss-style tournament might be a more reasonable proposition.

Somebody should give me a ride to this from Boston.

xHayatox

Smash Lord
mattiedotzebblez is doing what i just had in my skull today. good job lad. i might do the same kinda thing for streeet fire once i complete my project plan. wish i can do it for smash but my idea for a smash rule i dont think anyone will agree with me.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
wait so you have to play EVERYONE? cool I might not be in dead last on that list then >_<;
That's my reasoning for every kind of non-bracket event... It usually works out alright, although something like this would mean a lot of 0-2s on my part. But yeah, sounds good.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
If 30 people go there will be 435 sets, not 900.

Of course, this is still a lot, and a Swiss-style tournament might be a more reasonable proposition.

Somebody should give me a ride to this from Boston.
lol yea yu right used the wrong function xD

either way its still ridiculous.

It would be better to do swiss style like you said, or we can just have multiple (3) rounds of pools.

if we have 30 do 5 pools of 6 top 3 advance = 75 sets
then 3 pools of 5 top 2 advance = 30 sets
then a pool of 6 = 15 sets

which is 120 sets in total, way better than 435.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
That's my reasoning for every kind of non-bracket event... It usually works out alright, although something like this would mean a lot of 0-2s on my part. But yeah, sounds good.
well if they did that with every non bracket tourny, even the smaller ones would take a prohibitive amount of time.

but so long as it's orginized without being insane i have no problem with it, though playing at the top of my ability for so many matches in a row will be very tiring.

there are still people in NE that I have yet to play with neither side sandbagging.

maybe I'll get my rematch vs Darc, which has been a year coming. my goal is to not get 4 stocked twice again... :starman:

Spamus43

Smash Journeyman
This is a really ambitious idea, and I'm really interested to see how it works out. I see two potential problems (aside from the obvious one of "Can you realistically run a round robin of this size in a single day?"):

First, something relatively minor:

b.
PlayerE has a Set 9-6 / Match 18-14 ratio and PlayerF has a Set 9-6 / Match 19-16 ratio. Although PlayerF has more wins, he/she also has more losses. PlayerE will be placed above PlayerF.
First of all, 9-6 is not a match ratio, it's a match record. And that's not just to nit-pick; this confusion seems to underlie the whole problem with your example here. PlayerE, has won 56.25% of his matches, while PlayerF has won 54.29%. So, does playerE place higher because (a) he has fewer losses, or (b) because he won a larger proportion of his matches. I assume its the latter, but your example here never really states that and is really unclear because of it.

And secondly, something mroe fundamental:

In the event that two players are the only ones with the same Set W-L and Match W-L ratio the win goes to whoever beat the other in the Ranking Battle pool.

A 3rd set to finalize who places higher will ONLY happen under the conditions that
• Both players tie with the same Set W-L AND Match W-L in BOTH the Ranking Battle pool AND the Tie-Breaker pool.
• They have a 1-1 set count vs each other.
If both conditions are not met, the result is determined by Set W-L followed by Match W-L.
I think this idea needs a little revision. As it currently stands, your tiebreaker format is (1) Set W-L (2) Game W-L, and doesn't go deeper except in the very limited case that only two players remain tied. The problem here is that such a high level view necessarily excludes some relevant information that the Rankings Pool has provided. (It's the same reason why we look at games, if set counts are tied: the guy who wins every set 2-0 is better than the guy who wins every set 2-1, even though both have the same set record). The questions, then, are how deep should we look (at some point, the divisions become arbitrary and somewhat ridiculous) and how should we weight these levels of depth (whats more important: fact A or fact B).

For example, suppose Players A, B, C, and D each finish with identical set and game records. But suppose each of B, C, and D beat A, and split sets with the other two. Is it fair to put A into the same tiebreaker pool with B, C, and D? Did his performance earn him that spot? That's not an easy question to answer, given the information provided.

I think the resolution is to have (at least) an additional level of tiebreaker before jumping to "play more matches," and I think that two logical possibilities exist: (a) Set/Game record only amongst the tied players under consideration OR (b) Set/Game record only against the players who placed above you. Either case has its pros and cons, depending on how strongly you want to weigh certain factors.

Anyway, if you wanna talk more about this (even if its just to tell me why I'm wrong - I'd still really wanna hear your reasoning on it), PM me or hit me up some time. This is really interesting stuff, and I hope the even runs great for you. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Pine

Smash Ace
the point of playing everyone is so you get a precise numbering of everyone. if you do pools and only some advance what about the others who dont advance. they care where they stand too. or i believe that is the point matt is trying to make.
idk

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
you still get pretty precise placing with 3 rounds of pools. You could still rank those people, based on their pool records.

but swiss style would probably be the best way to do things

GameUnderground

Smash Journeyman
We will need a TON of setups at this... we did Soul Calibur like this in Sept and it was awesome but it went on FOREVER.... and Smash matches are longer... it should be sick though...

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
the point of playing everyone is so you get a precise numbering of everyone. if you do pools and only some advance what about the others who dont advance. they care where they stand too. or i believe that is the point matt is trying to make.
idk
You're right. I want EVERYONE to be able to play as many matches as possible.
I'll be working my *** off to try and get a sponsor for this to provide TVs. Gonna talk to the TOs who have more experience with that and hopefully getting one of them on board (I've already asked Solid Jake. Waiting upon a reply now)

With the right amount of TVs this can definitely work.

Say we have 15 TVs and 40 people. This is a good thing.
The reason for this being we'll always have somebody on deck ready to play so there is never a moment of "I'm waiting for so and so to finish their match so I can play" until extremely close to the end.

There will always be a match going on, and if requested players may have a bit of downtime in between their matches.
This way people who are playing well can continue to play, and those who are feeling "off" and need a moment to collect themselves may do so and speak with other players to gather advice.
If you didn't notice, I italicized the fact that coaching is legal. I want to see this happen. A lot.

xHayatox

Smash Lord
why not do just 2 rounds a piece. no best of 3.

Round 1 - Battlefield
Round 2 - Final Destination

:) I am up for that. instead of counting sets and wins/loses. Just count the wins. BF and FD are the only 2 levels that are neutral. As in no stage interferences. Then gather the score top 8 or 16 do a another gauntlet best of 3s... tourney rule. just hope that there arnt alot of ties :D

Banks

Smash Hero
wait wait, so you are making rankings based off of one set and no other criteria?

So if I beat someone who I'm able to beat sometimes, yet they place above me 80% of the time at many events, I'd get 'ranked' above them?

or do i have it wrong and i should read that long *** post

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
wait wait, so you are making rankings based off of one set and no other criteria?

So if I beat someone who I'm able to beat sometimes, yet they place above me 80% of the time at many events, I'd get 'ranked' above them?

or do i have it wrong and i should read that long *** post
read that long *** post

Banks

Smash Hero
i guess the main problem is more that you are making "power" rankings based on one day instead of a long period of time and out of region performance like nationals/tristate events many from NE have attended

[i could see this working if you did it semi regularly and updated the rankings, not if you do this just once, make some ranking thread for everyone to argue and it never gets changed or updated]

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
i guess the main problem is more that you are making "power" rankings based on one day instead of a long period of time
The whole fact of everybody playing everybody is a very quick way to get one established which is my goal for now.

After it is established tweaks can be made by future tournaments.

Also to your edit:

Yes, I plan to do this either seasonally or every 6 months. However that depends completely on the success of this.

Banks

Smash Hero
yea that sounds solid

i just look forward to when this thing is made, so i can read the thread and watch the GREAT DEBATE

(or participate in it if i lose to someone)

[[oh, lastly it could **** **** up if people don't go who should clearly be on it, but oh well]] (Darc lol) (he namesearches, he'll be here)

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
oh, lastly it could **** **** up if people don't go who should clearly be on it, but oh well]] (Darc lol) (he namesearches, he'll be here)
yeah thats my worry. but it's out in January for the reason of having as much as hype as possible and getting players of every skill level coming.

Pine

Smash Ace
well its obvious who will be ranked 1. i think we all know who is the best player in new england. put spife down there right now

:]

ughh its 1:30 am and i am trying real hard to put off going to work :/

Octave

Smash Ace
This is in Framingham and not Farmingham, right? x3

Definitely going to this. Going to train my *** off for the next few months before.

Pine

Smash Ace
so matt i got an idea. see another problem with this is that people in NE play people in NE a lot. for example thorn ***** my mario cuz he knows how to play it, but in contrast i ***** lambchops like wtf? also yedi and i go back and forth, three totally diff falcos and skill levels and styles and totally diff outcomes in random directions.

SOLUTION. every player from NE goes to the next national tourny and plays every non NE player, thus proving who is best against the mnainstream smash community.

thank you i am brilliant

Top Bottom