• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SNOBOT Model 001 - MK BANNED - Halifax, Nova Scotia, November 20th, 2010

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247

Presenting the first SNOBOT!
(Name credit to jXian and Raziek)

Smash
NovaScotia's
Official
Barely
Organized
Tournament

Tournament Information

• Venue: The Hub - 2nd Fl, 1673 Barrington St.
  • DATE: Saturday, November 20th, 2010
  • Venue Fee: $10
  • Entry Fee: $10/entrant singles, $20/team doubles, $1/entrant for side event
  • Singles Pot: 40/25/15/10/5/5 (1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th x2)
  • Doubles Pot: 50/30/20 (1st/2nd/3rd)
  • Schedule: (approximate)
    • 12:00 Doors open, Registration for all events begins
    • 12:45 Singles Pools Begin
    • 14:00 (Or Whenever Pools finish) - Lunch Break, Brackets Constructed (Winner's and Redemption bracket, more on that later)
    • 14:45 - Singles Brackets Begin
    • Whenever that finishes - Doubles and Side Events begin

SINGLES DETAILS

This time around, we're doing two major things special with Singles.

First, pools are back, so everyone will get to play a few matches at minimum.

Second, anyone who does NOT advance into the main bracket, from pools, will be entered into a "Redemption Bracket". The winner and Runner-up of this bracket will be refunded their entry fee, and we may have a small door prize for them as well.

Ruleset
General Rules
-------------
3 Stock
8 minute timer
Items are set to "off" and "none"

* All sets are best 2 of 3 matches. Bracket Finals and Grand Finals are Best 3 of 5.

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage. In teams, each players stock/percent is added together.

* Resolving Ties: If percents are the same or both players die simultaneously (Causing Sudden Death. If you Dedede/Ganoncide and you LOSE, that is the result. Be aware of the risk.), there will be a 1 stock, 3 minute, same characters, same stage rematch.

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by ONE ROUND of Rock-Paper-Scissors. In teams, controller ports shall be used in a 1221 fashion.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Meta-Knight is banned. He may not be selected under any circumstances unless BOTH players agree to his use. The Player who wishes to use him MUST inform the other player that he is banned, and request to use him.

* Stalling is banned.
Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while using an infinite to run out the timer rather than to score a KO is. As such, any infinite chain-grabs, locks, etc. cannot exceed 300%. IDC IS ALSO BANNED, SHOULD THE OPPONENT PERMIT MK.

* Any action which prevents the game from continuing (i.e. by causing the game to crash or causing all characters to freeze indefinitely) is banned. If the Tournament Organizer or a judge can conclusively determine the player responsible for the failure, that player loses the interrupted game. Players are expected to know their characters and prevent this from happening.

* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players. (Dave's Stupid Rule)

Set Format
----------
1. Opponents make their character select screen choices for the first match, DOUBLE BLIND PICKS OPTIONAL.

2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure.

The stage striking order changes depending on the number of stages allowed. When reading this order, “1” is player 1 and “2” is player 2. The optimal striking orders are as follows:

9 Stages: 1-1-1-2-2-2-2-1 (Read: Player 1 strikes 3, P2 strikes 4, then P1 picks the last stage)

3. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2.

4. The winner of the previous match announces his
2 stage bans.

5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List.

6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character.

7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character.

8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches.

Stage List

Starter

Battlefield
Smashville
Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1
Final Destination
Halberd
Castle Siege
Pokemon Stadium 2

Counterpick

Delfino Plaza
Luigi's Mansion
Pirate Ship
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Pictochat
Rainbow Cruise
Jungle Japes
Norfair
Green Greens
Distant Planet
Port Town Aero Dive
Yoshi's Island (Melee)

REGARDING MELEE
Raziek said:
I've discussed it with Parker, and here's what we've agreed on.

Here's how it's gonna be.

AS I SAID BEFORE, Melee will have the same two stations that it had last time, off to the side. You guys are free to do WHATEVER you want, as long as it doesn't hold up the other events.

What PARKER will be running, is a Swiss tournament (Entry Fee: $5) for those of you who wish to enter, then the top 4 from the Swiss tournament will be seeded into a 4-man SINGLE elimination bracket (Sets are 3/5) so you guys can still have that "Finals" feel. (This is Parker's idea, not mine)

The only stipulations with this: The matches from the Swiss tournament are NOT to interfere with the rest of the events. If you are called for a Brawl match, you are expected to finish your melee GAME, pause your melee SET, play your Brawl match, then resume your set.

SIDE EVENT

Preliminary Note: If this event finished in a timely manner, we will also be doing a low-tier bracket.

The side event for this tournament will be a tourney run with the goal of testing out some custom and borderline-banned stages that deserve a second (or first) chance in tournament play.

Entry fee is $1, the stages for this event will be SET for each round, so that everything gets a decent amount of play.

All sets will play ALL THREE GAMES, Regardless of whether or not you 2-0 your opponent. This is to ensure stages are not left under-tested.

ROUND ONE: Equity, Libra, and Skyworld.

ROUND TWO (Winner's Bracket): Isolation, Lesser Stairway, Green Hill Zone

ROUND TWO (Loser's Bracket): Ironfield, Dreamland 64, Onett

ROUND THREE: Microcarousel, Pervovskite, Mario Circuit

ROUND FOUR: Underworld, Skyscraper Peak, Foxhole Atheist

ROUND FIVE: Abyss, Hill, Kalashnikov

Any further rounds will be done in traditional set format using the following starter/Cp setup, with NO STAGE BANS.

Starters:
Equity
Abyss
Isolation
Libra
Ironfield
Dreamland 64
Underworld
Kalashnikov
MicroCarousel

CPs:
Hill
Foxhole Atheist
Lesser Stairway
Perovskite
Sky Scraper Peak
Mario Circuit
Skyworld
Green Hill Zone
Onett

All of the aforementioned stages can be found here, you are expected to be practice them PRIOR to the tourney, so 'I didn't know there was a ledge there' is not a legit john.

Equity - By Overswarm
Hidden Message Hide

Abyss - By Overswarm
Hidden Message Hide

Libra - By Overswarm
Hidden Message Hide

Lesser Stairway - By Crow!
Hidden Message Hide

Perovskite - by Crow!
Hidden Message Hide

Skyscraper Peak - By Niddo

Hidden Message Hide

Isolation - By Niddo

Hidden Message Hide

MicroCarousel - By prOPAC, modified by Crow!

Hidden Message Show

Foxhole Atheist - By Sunshade

Hidden Message Show

Ironfield - By MikeKirby

Hidden Message Show

Hill - By Luxor

Hidden Message Show

Dreamland 64 - by Krazyzyko

Hidden Message Show

Underworld - By Krazyzyko

Hidden Message Show

Kalashnikov - By Croi (Modified by Raziek)

I will have a download pack up for these soon.

SETUPS

As usual, we will be calling on our wonderful community to provide what they can for this event. We need 8-10 Wiis, (IDEALLY HOMEBREWED FOR INFINITE REPLAYS), and a few TVs from people.

Wiis + Brawl
1. Raziek (Wii + Brawl, hacked for replays)
2. Lambnadr (Wii + Brawl, hacked for Replays)
3. Adapt (Wii + Brawl, NOT HACKED)
4. Croi (Wii + Brawl, hacked for replays)
5. Nysyarc (Wii + Brawl, hacked for replays)
6. Wiles (Wii + Brawl, hacked for replays)
7. KOTS (Wii + brawl, hacked for replays)

TVs
1. Raziek
2. Croi
3. Paul's TV that we need to pick up.
4. MAYBE Nysyarc's TV.
5. Wiles
6. KOTS

LASTLY, REGARDING COSMETIC TEXTURE HACKS:

This is our current official policy:

Permitted
Music Hacks
(Cannot be lyrical or super-intrusive. No MK Da Bess, please)
Character Texture Hacks
(Vertex hacks NOT PERMITTED. Only the color scheme may be changed, please refrain from using all-black textures as they can be extremely difficult to see. If possible, include a DISTINCT color scheme for Lucario and Sonic's team colors.)
Menu Hacks
(You are free to do whatever you wish to the menus OUTSIDE of the matches)

NOT PERMITTED
Sound Hacks (JP or otherwise)
Stage Textures
Vertex Hacks of any sort
Anything that alters gameplay

Pre-Registration

Singles

1. Raziek
2. jXian
3. Nysyarc
4. Croi
5. Niala
6. Drast
7. Capt. Collins
MetaKOrNotMetaK :p

Doubles

1. Darkwing Duck and Launchpad (Raziek and jXian)
2. Croi the Magnificent and Nysyarc the Warrior King (Croi and Nysyarc)
3. Niala (Is Looking for a Partner)
4. Drast & Capt. Collins
5. MetaK and Keith

Get Hyped for the 20th!

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Raziek said:
Preliminary Note: If this event finished in a timely manner, we will also be doing a low-tier bracket.
Why. Why now and not before Ike was bumped out of low tier. Oh well, I'll just have to power through the side event (and hope everyone else does too) so I can wreck you guys with Ganon.

/gettinthesmacktalkrollin

:034:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Yes, Pre-registration is open. Feel free to post your team names, Tags, and equipment, if relevant.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Yes, get me a picture of it using the Stage Builder Tool that I can download, and I'll test it out and may consider implementing it.

Alternatively, get me the .bin file for it, and I'll just plunk it on there.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Darkwing Duck and Launchpad is the most awesome and nostalgic team name I've seen in awhile.

Might as well pre-register me for singles, the side event (as Nysyarc, or Nyke, doesn't matter) and for doubles with Matt:

Croi the Magnificent and Nysyarc the Warrior King

:034:

Croi

Smash Lord
Screenshot.

.bin file. And I know how god-awful Rapidshare is, but Megaupload was choking for me tonight.

It's not overtly complex or awe-inspiring, but next to Dreamland 64 and Equity, it ought to fit right in ;) The name is just supposed to be a placeholder but I dun giv a ***

EDIT: And I will pre-reg for all three as well. If I could go as Croi for doubles and The Great Bouzouki for singles, super, but if not, just Croi the whole way.

Drake12

Smash Ace
Are these rules final? I think it would be nice for people who aren't familiar with character hacks to request a normal skin color be selected.
Seems a bit more fair and familiar to some newer guys. Maybe force at least one regular skin per character?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
There will be at least one normal skin per character. That's a requirement.

Also, Matt, I like your stage.

I have modified its design slightly, named it "Kalashnikov", and we'll be using it. I just need to get a better picture of it using the stage builder grid.

Edit: Kalashnikov has now been added to the main list, with a picture.

Niala

Smash Ace
Question: If we want to do doubles bracket but don't have a partner can we sign up and wait and see if somebody else does the same?
Also, hurrah! I might be able to make it to this. My first Brawl tournament :')

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Yes, Niala, we typically pair up anyone who doesn't have a partner with someone else who is missing one, if they both want to enter doubles.

Alternatively, you can seek a partner on the facebook group.

Niala

Smash Ace
Alright, well, pre-register me for the singles bracket and put me in looking for a partner for doubles then. Also, if we do low-tier, I'm down for that too.

Meta-K

Smash Rookie
Pre-register me for Singles!

Name: Matt
Tag: MetaKOrNotMetaK :p

( the :p is part of the name :p )

If Keith can make it, we're teaming as "Fire-Blasting Magikarps"

EDIT: I know MK is banned, but you might want to mention that if players do agree on using him, the IDC is still banned. Unless you like it the way it is. XD

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Pre-register me for Singles!

Name: Matt
Tag: MetaKOrNotMetaK :p

( the :p is part of the name :p )

If Keith can make it, we're teaming as "Fire-Blasting Magikarps"

EDIT: I know MK is banned, but you might want to mention that if players do agree on using him, the IDC is still banned. Unless you like it the way it is. XD
Ah, right. I'll note that.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Unfortunately so. Melee will make a return as a side event now and then, but it's not drawing in enough people who actually play the game.

You're free to have a station for MMs and friendlies, if you'd like.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I just realized what the pot is for singles.

:facepalm:
Care to explain why you think it's BAD to encourage people to enter by making the chance of placing in money (even if it's a small amount) more realistic?

These tournaments aren't just for filling the wallets of the top 3.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
So, you don't want to reward your top players for doing well? In a competitive tournament?

I see.

Why not split the top three 60/25/15? Give fourth $20 or $15, and fifth $10. Then split the remainder of the pot for the top. That way they who place lower still get rewarded and the pot isn't garbage.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Viridian City 8
1st - 50%
2nd - 25%
3rd - 15%
4th - 10%

No Koast 3
* 60/30/10 Pot Split (Subject to change if entrants exceed 64 players)

The Monster (S)Mash
Payout:

1st Place: 50%
2nd Place: 25%
3rd Place: 15%
4th Place: 5%
5th Place: 2.5 (x2)
IF attendance too low (which may be the case) it will be changed to 60/30/10/$10/$5/$5

Jujment Day 2
Pay out- 1st 60%, 2nd 30%, 3rd, 10%

Rock Paper Scissors
Pot: 60/30/10 split of entry fees

Adventures of the Prima Vista
Brawl Singles
1st 50%
2nd 25%
3rd 12%
4th 6%
5th 4%
6th 3%

HBCPGA
Payout
7 or less - 70/30
8 to 15 - 60/30/10
16 and up - 50/25/15/5/5

DNA GAMING #10

•**Prize pools (Singles)
1st-48%
2nd-22%
3rd-14%
4th- 8%
5th- 4%
5th- 4%

Viriginia Johns 7
Fees
$3 Venue
$5 Singles
$2 per person for Doubles/side tourney
Payout
60/30/10

WHOBO3
The PAYOUT for 1vs1 is:

1st=45%
2nd=25%
3rd=10%
4th=7%
5th(x2)=5%
7th(x2)=1.5%

TASOL
The PAYOUT
Singles:
1-19 players = 80 / 20
20 - 39 players = 60 / 30 / 10
40 - 79 players = 55 / 30 / 10 / 5
80-99 players = 55 / 25 / 10 / 5 / 2.5 / 2.5
120+ players = 50 / 25 / 10 / 5 / 3⅓ / 3⅓ / 1⅔ / 1⅔

Socal Halloween Tourney
Singles: 1st 60% -2nd 30% -3rd 10%

That's all of the payouts I could find on page 1 of the tournament listings.

Now, when you consider the size of our scene, and the intent of the payout distribution, this is HARDLY out of the question, and I'm surprised that you (who aren't even attending), are criticizing the pot size to begin with.

This isn't about the money, nor should it be.

Croi

Smash Lord
I gotta agree with Lithium. Once you involve money (that's not a venue fee), it's about money.

I mean, I'm gonna have a blast at this thing for sure, but I want moneh D:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
*sigh*

If you're playing ONLY for the money, you're playing for the wrong reasons.

Yes, obviously, money plays a factor. However, the idea behind it is recognizing skill, based on the payout distribution.

With that said, why should first get that much more than second? What reasoning is there behind 60/30/10 splits? PREFERENCE. That's ALL.

The goal of this payout scheme is to make placing in the money REALISTIC for most players, even if it's only a little. This encourages more people to attend, if achieving that goal seems feasible. 3rd is NOT feasible for 90% of the players who attend the event. 5th IS more reasonable.

Honestly, Lythium? Are you REALLY that concerned about a tournament you're not attending? I like how you also glazed over the fact that this payout isn't even far off of the rest of them, deciding to pick specifically on one off-handed comment I made.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Sure, why not? As far as the payout goes, out of all the ones you listed, only two were less than 50 percent, and one was 48 (lolwut?), so what gives? I think the idea of rewarding more players is great. But dividing the pot so unevenly is a pretty shoddy way to do it. Depending on how many entrants you get, getting third isn't that much better than getting fourth, and so on. There's no reward at that point for placing better.

And off-handed comments count. And if you honestly think that people don't come out to play for just for money, then you're fooling yourself. Pocket MKs, am I right?

But then again, I don't play Smash anymore, so what do I know?

Croi

Smash Lord
Croi and Nysyarc change their team name to "Lock Up Your Daughter, Lock Up Your Wife, Lock Up Your Back Door and Run For Your Life".

Meta-K

Smash Rookie
Turns out Keith can't make it, so I'm out of doubles unless I find someone else to take his place.

HoboTheOriginal

Smash Rookie
Uhm, I was hoping to sign up for Melee, but I have to work Saturday morning now >.<
Although I'm trying to get out of it as best I can, if I'm late will I be denied a place? What kindow of window do I have to opperate in?

oh, and if I'm still in, can I bring my own TV?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Uhm, I was hoping to sign up for Melee, but I have to work Saturday morning now >.<
Although I'm trying to get out of it as best I can, if I'm late will I be denied a place? What kindow of window do I have to opperate in?

oh, and if I'm still in, can I bring my own TV?

Melee is being run pseudo-separate from the main events, in Swiss format, so as long as you show before they finish the Swiss portion, you're good. I'm not sure how long that's going to take, though. You are also welcome to bring your own TV, I'm sure we can find a spot for it. I recommend bringing a set-up as well, if you choose to do so, idk how many melee discs/cubes we'll have.

Top Bottom