• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New kirby AT! Item Slide~

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Alright for the sake of
not being a douche
the Kirby community, I have decided that I will make this a community effort in exploring this new AT.

WHAT YOU NEED:

Kirby vs. Diddy on Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

HOW TO:

1.Get a banana from Diddy and go to either edge.
2.Roll @ the edge (or get as close to the edge as possible) and face the stage.
3.Crouch! (You don't have to crouch but the success rate goes up massively if you crouch)
4.While holding down crouch, CStick Forward to throw the Banana.

WHAT HAPPENED?!???

FUUUUUUUU-
While Kirby is crouching on the slant, the nana is below level w/ the stage. When Kirby throws he uncrouches while throwing and is inflating as he throws. During this process the nana is level w/ the stage when thrown and begins to slide 3/4 of the stage (or right behind Diddy if he gets hit within the 3/4 range).

MY ANALYSIS:

From the looks of it, it's a similar abuse of the slope like Sonic abuses it (where he gains invincibility if spin dashes from the slope). W/ that said, it doesn't work on Picto like Sonic's does.

TAKE IT A STEP FURTHER!:

As Kirbies I feel we should explore this and see if it works on other stages w/ other items.

Lylat, Delfino, PS1, PS2, Picto (other than the main stage), and any other level w/ small slants should be tested.

Stages AT Works On:
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Code:
Stage Edges Slopes
Delfino:
Code:
Sand Mound Slopes
Big Shine Slopes
Walkoff w/ middle indent Slopes
PS1:
Code:
Fire Transformation Right side of Tree Slope
Water Transformation Under Windmill Slope
Pictochat:
Code:
Stage Edge Slopes

Items that JoWiiSlide:
Diddy Nanas? Yes.
Peach Turnips? No.
Diddy Peanut? No.
Snake Grenade? Yes.
TL Bomb? No.
ROB Gyro? No.
Beam Sword? Yes.
Mr.Saturn? Yes.
Wario Tires? Yes.

NAMES FOR AT:
Item Slide
JoWiiSlide
Nana Slide

VIDEO:

A video has been put up by TKO (and we lub him for it).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JhUXxh-nK8

Umby

Smash Master
This is p.cool. Knowing Diddy, though, I wonder if we can set up with something from that kind of distance.

edit: a cool thing about it, since he the banana slides instead of directly hitting Diddy, it lands in closer proximity after he slips (likely right back on top of him) instead of flying off if it was to directly hit him or if he simply walked into it.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
It actually looks like it only works because of Kirby's crouch. I think if you play the MU correctly (get a nana) then this situation wouldn't be too hard to pull off. I'ma try it a lot tonight and see how often I pull it off. It's fast too so it's hard to grab. And if it's at furthest distance Diddy can't throw his nana and hit Kirby.

I think I'd try it if I'm playing a campier Diddy or if I'm already ahead and decide to camp.

GanonkingAbyss

Smash Apprentice
i think ive seen this before, ive seen vids of similar things like ddd throwing a bana on delfino plaza and it sliding a bit. i can rec somthing if i can finish my homework fast enough.

Umby

Smash Master
It works to a lesser extent on the right side of PS1 during the fire transformation. You have to stand on the left side of the slope facing right.

Works during the water transformation too, underneath the windmill. I've only gotten it to work from the right side, and it stops where the bridge angles down. Perhaps:

[10:49] TheReflexWonder: It's all about angles, I think.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
I agree that it's all about the angels.I also think the slopes have to be short buttttt we'll disregard that until more testing is done.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
so I was like "what is this thread" and then I read it and tested it out.

First thing: you DON'T need to crouch. The only requirement is that you're as far to the side (like you said, rolldodge to the edge) as you can get. Ok, right after I typed this, I found that it doesn't work sometimes when you're just standing. I'm guessing this has something to do with Kirby's idle animation. It seems to work 100% of the time while crouching though.

Second thing: lol this is cool xD

On Yoshi's Island, the banana literally goes almost across the whole stage, except it stops right before the opposite ledge slope.

Just tried it with snake's grenades, it slides the same distance but grenades pretty much go that far anyway. Not sure what the advantage is, except that Snake can't shield the grenade while it's sliding in the ground. That's the major difference.

Peach's Turnips: they just get destroyed the instant you throw them. They're too big, they touch the ledge and disappear.
Same with ROB's gyro.

Umby

Smash Master
In the event you get a Beam Sword from Peach, it works for that too. Was going to test for Mr. Saturn, but my Wii turns into a little ***** in the conclusion of a power outage.

Edit: Yup. Works for Mr. Saturn too.

Triple R

Smash Lord
I got this to work almost 100% without even crouching on YI. There only seems to be one requirement: Just be as close to the ledge as possible. A light throw will make the item about half way across the stage, a hard throw will make it go the whole stage. Maybe crouching effects it on other stages, but as far as I noticed on YI you don't need to crouch.

Edit: The crouching maybe just helps you stay in place so you don't move a sliver away from the edge making it not work.

Edit2: Did you guys notice what happens when the Naner actually hits the opponent? It pops up like normal but retains it's momentum to land what looks like exactly where it would have slid to if no one got hit by it.

Edit3: So I did happen upon times where it didn't work, so crouches does seem to help make it happen.

Edit4: lol Beam sword goes all the way, but it doesn't have a hitbox while sliding.... :/

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
YAY FOR ADVANCING THE KIRBY METAGAME!!!

Like I said, this is a group effort by the Kirby boards so as more stuff is found out I'll update the OP.

<3 you guys.

Triple R

Smash Lord
Works with Wario's tires too, by far the slidiest thing I tested, they just fly right off the stage, but again no hitbox while sliding... :/ Seems only practical for naners and nades right now.

Edit: If you trip the person right where the banana would stop sliding, it pops up and lands right on them again tripping them again, but they have time to roll in between obviously. That may sound like bad news, but you could look at it as it forces them to roll, if they don't they get tripped again and by that time it's a free attack cause you run across the stage already. So hopefully the opponent is dumb and rolls toward you which you could punish.

Edit2: Looking at it again you could actually punish any option they have I guess, but it would take some guess work, since it looks like Kirby might be able to reach them even if they roll away. This is possible because you can start running before the naner gets to them giving you a head start to pressure i suppose.

Edit3: Confirmed this works at various spots on Deflino. Most notably is the sand mound with water on each side, slides pretty good. On top of the buildings walk off part you can do it on most of the slopes. Above the big shine part you can do it but it only seems to go to peach of hump abover shine.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
LOL BEAM SWORD

dude I'm going to make this video so hot...I'm gonna call that technique Item Passing and have coney stand on the otherside of the stage and Grab the Beamsword as I slide it too him

but yea going home now...about to get started on the replay

items in video now=Banana, Beam Sword, Grenade

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
@TKBro- But...it's called Item Slide jerkface...I named it in the OP....

@ Kirbies- Do you feel it's relevant enough to have an excerpt inside the Diddy and Snake summaries?

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
@Jowii

ITS CALL NANA SLIDE!

but since a BEAM SWORD is not a BANANA and it HAS NO HITBOX I couldnt only see this as a safe way of passing a beamsword to a teammate...lol

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
In the OP I said if it worked on other items we can call it Item Slide or Item Zoom.

Item Slide works (plus it's in the title :D))

Soooooo.....w/ what TKO, prolly unintentionally said, think of the possibilities during doubles?~!????

SkylerSilver

Smash Journeyman
Kirbies- Do you feel it's relevant enough to have an excerpt inside the Diddy and Snake summaries?
Well Im going to a tourney this Saturday, So I try it in the Diddy/Snake matchup.

Edit: I finished my slow character testing Lolz. Jigglypuff, Falco, and Fox can also do it.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
***- After the tourny make sure to post in this thread If you find anything ****** or relevant.

Triple R

Smash Lord
So I just realized that not all items work on all slopes lol

The naners I couldn't get to work on pictochat, but I could get nades to work there instead. Nades seem easy to do this with in general it seems. I don't know if kirby throws nades at a flatter slope, but that's what it seems like.

Edit: Beware on Picto though, if a Drawing is in the way the nades will slide 'right back at ya!'

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
If you duck and face the opposite direction, it also works with Squirtle.

I think it actually goes further than Kirby's.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Call it the JoWiiSlide.

Or the KirbySlide.

The opportunity for puns is too good to pass up!

Since apparently the slide can work with multiple items, and with multiple characters, I don't think it should be called anything with the words Kirby or Naner.

However, JoWiiSlide (JWS) is pretty cool. :)

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Whatever you name it, the SL will end up making an official name for it that everyone will ignore anyways.

So... yeah

Showing this to the SL for testing, that's just... weird... I totally misunderstood what was going on in this thread and was taking it all as a joke.. but that video.

Weeeiiirrd

:nifty::leek:

Teh Future

Smash Master
shut up why is this umportant its not u guys r so dum lol wat are u gonna do southerpick to YI lol wordst idea ever

still pretty kool tho imo LOL u cant even shield it wtf kirby diddy 91-1

Judo777

Smash Master
this is neat but very useless.

It doesn't have to do with kirbys crouch animation. It has solely to do with kirbys throw animation and his height. You don't have to crouch you can just throw standing from the edge of yoshis. Just roll backward to a ledge and throw the banana and youll do it.

Everyone can do this you just have to be said height from a slant. Kirby's height happens to be the right height on the side of yoshis. Its nice because the sliding banana isn't blockable, but kirby is way too slow to follow it up for the most part. A good one time trick maybe.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
So I was using this last night a bit and whenever I used this AT I was changing between dash attacking and grabbing as a follow up. >_> Another thing is w/ this being so easy for Kirby to pull off, it completely changes the pace of the matchup. The first time you pull it off, you get a nice follow up so use it when Diddy is semi-close. After the Diddy knows Kirby can do this, it slows the pace down to a halt because Diddy doesn't want to approach as aggro (so if Kirby has the lead he has a easier time camping :D)

@SuSa- **** the SL. Those greedy *******s. This is staying on the Kirby boards as long as we can keep it here. Obviously testing is underway and since it's abusable mostly by Kirby, we'll be responsible for it.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Good discovery.

And Judo just explained the mechanics to it, so thanks XD

Sadly, as neat as this is, it's very situational (and don't get me wrong, very much worth learning, despite being situational). The only thing I can currently think of to really utilise this is to use it as a close/mid range (so we can try to follow up) unblockable projectile vs. diddy.

Vs. Snake, this seems ridiculously good if you get his power. This allows you to camp him way harder IMO while severely limiting his options.

It could have some team uses too maybe?

Tesh

Smash Hero
#
mariorqs
13 hours ago

Cool. Didnt kno kirby had such an easy way of doin this. Other characters usually have to go offstage. Good find.

Ninjalink's comment on the video implies that everyone can do this from the ledge. Sonic would actually be able to get across the stage before the banana gets there.

Top Bottom