• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So we're good at platform canceling now

Calzorz

Smash Lord
also for snake for any1 who didnt know

Jump and press sheild + down on control stick u will platform cancel in ur sheild so u can punish peoples landing with sheild grab and on a platform sheild grab is prety **** as u all know , or u can release sheild and f tilt or up tilt depending on how much time u got

Underload

Lazy
Yep, shield is always an option. You'd have to decide whether buffering a move out of this platform cancel or shielding immediately is the better option, though.

I'm pretty sure it does... no reason for it not to.

:nifty::leek:
SuSa, be quiet.

Actually, this would explain why I could always C4 platform cancel on smashville by accident at times, but never with other moves. Alright, now that we have this, I can start working on applications if any proper ones exist. Too bad I do not have a wii to start testing this stuff out :(

Maybe it would be possible to force a tech chase on SV platform by Uthrow/Utilt at the right percentage to force the person to land on the platform into either a tech in which case we could follow up with a platform cancel into a grab which leads to a dthrow tech chase on a platform?

Calzorz

Smash Lord
no it doesnt , and i know for a fact the sheild platform cancel doesnt work on NON moving platforms as its basically snakes version of marths d air platform cancel which only works on moving such as SV , LYLAT , RC etc

edit: and yes xeylode iv got some freindly vids of me punishing ppls landing on sv platform with grabs just not uploaded / yet , best option is to sheild platform cancel that way if u cant grab u can atleast tilt there roll direction on the platform for some %
and not get hit

no it doesnt , and i know for a fact the sheild platform cancel doesnt work on NON moving platforms as its basically snakes version of marths d air platform cancel which only works on moving such as SV , LYLAT , RC etc

edit: and yes xeylode iv got some freindly vids of me punishing ppls landing on sv platform with grabs just not uploaded / yet , best option is to sheild platform cancel that way if u cant grab u can atleast tilt there roll direction on the platform for some %
and not get hit
But did you force the person onto the platform from below it through the usage of Utilt/Uthrow, at the correct percent so that the only thing they could do was to tech it, and then you followed up with a platform cancel, following the tech into a grab? If you did that, then snake just got more broken on SV due to dthrow tech chasing on platforms being awesome.

There is a surprising number of moving platform stages. I believe Yoshi story and delfino count as well.

Calzorz

Smash Lord
iv not seen the delfino platform u can platform cancel? which bit?
yoshis u can but its very limited its only when its tilting and thats not that often

i cant rember wot i did to get him on the platform i think i just hit him he missed the tech , did getup attack and i came up with sheild and just regrabbed and then d throw then he stayed in 1 spot so i up tilted for kill or something

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIhoCXhHvVA

1st stock kill its not a platform cancel regrab but just sheilding platform canceling put him in a awkward position basically gaurenteeing me a kill xD

il try upload some of platform cancel regrab after hitting them onto it at some point

vs anaky is just random freindlies he uploaded so not a set or anything

Well, I consider Delfino literally a moving stage the whole time. If not, I think it works when the stage changes. It rises in and out of the ground.

Calzorz

Smash Lord
Well, I consider Delfino literally a moving stage the whole time. If not, I think it works when the stage changes. It rises in and out of the ground.
just tryed it the STAGE is moving but i think it just counts as the background unfortunatly , the platform itsself has to be moving for you to be able to platform cancel , so doesnt work the same as RC i guess that works on the ship because the ship is moving so it counts as the platform moving also same as the bit after the ship were as delfino just the background is moving unfortunatly

Underload

Lazy
Obv. moving platforms and non-moving ones are coded differently. Something in the coding for the moving ones probably makes it exploitable in this way. I'll check out some stages later.

Calzorz

Smash Lord
SV = u can do the platform cancel underload has found , or u can do the sheild platform cancel

Lylat = the left and right platforms = u have to have a diffrent timing than the SV platform to platform cancel its a bit later , the middle platform = is SV platform timing

Yoshis island = u can only do this when the platform is tilting (not a great stage to do it imo as u cant really rely on it as much as other stages as its not always tilting)

Rainbow Cruise = Sv platform timing , u can do it on the ships middle platforms and and the bit where the ship crashes and all the other platforms baically xD so prety much everywhere dont think u can do it on carpets tho? il have to test it

BF = no it doesnt work its platform cancel platforms have to be moving in some way , and BF platforms obv dont register as a moving one

Delfino = u cant platform cancel from what iv tested so far on ANY platform in the stage there might be 1 im really not sure i havent found it if so

i think thats it for stages u can platform cancel on

Underload

Lazy
SV = u can do the platform cancel underload has found , or u can do the sheild platform cancel

Lylat = the left and right platforms = u have to have a diffrent timing than the SV platform to platform cancel its a bit later , the middle platform = is SV platform timing

Yoshis island = u can only do this when the platform is tilting (not a great stage to do it imo as u cant really rely on it as much as other stages as its not always tilting)

Rainbow Cruise = Sv platform timing , u can do it on the ships middle platforms and and the bit where the ship crashes and all the other platforms baically xD so prety much everywhere dont think u can do it on carpets tho? il have to test it

BF = no it doesnt work its platform cancel platforms have to be moving in some way , and BF platforms obv dont register as a moving one

Delfino = u cant platform cancel from what iv tested so far on ANY platform in the stage there might be 1 im really not sure i havent found it if so

i think thats it for stages u can platform cancel on
Consistent with my findings.

As for Halberd, you can only PC on the platform at the beginning section when it's taking off or coming down. Hardly useful.

Calzorz

Smash Lord
Consistent with my findings.

As for Halberd, you can only PC on the platform at the beginning section when it's taking off or coming down. Hardly useful.
haha yea considering them animations last for like 1/2 secs xD wud be really strict timing getting ur oponent in a position u can get good use from the platform cancel to do % with on halberd but good find ;p didnt think of halberd to be fair

napZzz

Smash Hero
considering I start 90% of my tourney matches on smashville I'm gonna say thats a given

but I was more trying to say, is it worth learning application wise?

Underload

Lazy
Yeah, why the **** not? Velox drop -> PC -> lightshield fall-through OR shield, punish a mistake with PC -> utilt, I can't think of any because I'm tired as balls

G'night

napZzz

Smash Hero
what the hell is a velox drop

was that just falling through a platform and grabbing the nade on your way through it?

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
You might as well learn it.

More oppurtunities to grab people for me.

I don't know why, but it doesn't seem to work on BF's platforms.....

BTW, all characters can use this, even Gray Fox(The timing is very difficult though) LOLOLOLOL.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
How come people are just learning all of these platform cancel variants NOW?

You could also just tap down, or even cstick down for some characters (Ganondorf, Sonic, etc). Cstick might work for everyone too.

napZzz

Smash Hero
How come people are just learning all of these platform cancel variants NOW?

You could also just tap down, or even cstick down for some characters (Ganondorf, Sonic, etc). Cstick might work for everyone too.
I never knew about it. Didn't ever see anything about platform cancels, let alone one for snake

Exdeath

Smash Master
is this worth learning?

I hate to be that guy to say it, but well....?
You can mix-up air pressure. Mix-up Nairs, Bairs, etc. with grabs, retreating/advancing pivot grabs (that happen to be on a platform as well), Ftilts, etc. in what is essentially mid-air/full-hop height.

You can Up-B onto the platform and immediately jab/shield/etc. -- it's useful for juggles.

It's situational since it requires the platform, but ues it's useful, if only for "just another option." You probably won't use it more than a few times in any given match, though.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
it depends. i know it works on some of the platforms on delphino (the umbrellas too?), lylat, and yi seems to work sometimes too.

if it works on rc, that would be amazing.

Top Bottom