• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WALKING, why you shouldn't run

napZzz

Smash Hero
I think something alot of snakes need to move past is running, as silly as it may sound. But hear me out here. Avoid the dumb thread title too..haha. Dont bother posting if you feel like this is something you already know about, think twice about it and take it as a refresher in that case

Something alot of people dont realize is how immensely limited you become when running, your only options are to generally dash attack or shield at that point, and its not very effective if you wanna play an effective zoning game, considering that it takes snake a little while to start a dash and then waste time using your shield to stop yourself

The thing about walking, is that you retain ALL of your options from any point you're at, snakes walk is fairly decent and he can manage to close in much easier with just a few steps and some patience before that ftilt, or w/e you can do now that you aren't limited to just rushing in. You can even use dashing out of walks...just ways to abruptly throw off spacing with random ****, more mixup into your game

the beauty of walking is how versatile it is when it comes to your ground game, just a little walking in different directions and patience is the most efficient way to bait and space on the ground, because of things like buffered turn around ftilts/grabs from a walk, I dunno if its even anything fancy but if you learn how to turn around tilt from walk your life will become much easier, tilting out of walks is almost like using a wave dash in melee, you can position yoruself better with just a step or two and throw out your attack the most accurate way you can in a situation, its just all around easier to control ground space and work with nade setups

save running for chasing people down if you're trying to follow them from the air or just getting away, but in those situations mortar sliding is generally the better option, but different situations call for different actions. Or purposely shield dashing into things to powershield/punish, its up to you to categorize and apply to suit your playstyle

Just remember to abuse WALKING next time you play and see how much **** it adds into your game

etecoon

Smash Hero
snake's walk is horrible, very near the same thing as standing still, it's actually one of his underrated flaws IMO, no one realizes how much this hurts him because he can either be like totally immobile or linear as ****

that being said yes most snake's don't walk enough

yes, my only real purpose here anymore is to tell you that you're playing a bad character

napZzz

Smash Hero
he doesn't need to cover maps with it, he just needs to be able to control the space around him better, which is much much easier if you can just walk to space your moves better and keep all your options ready, like literally just taking one step backwards and then turn around ftilting is ****...not saying I'm tryin to revolutionize here but I'm definitely saying things like this really help

its not like we need snake catching up to people by walking into them, aside from shield dashing snake doesn't really need to approach much otherwise in other matchups and its still generally easier to use a combo of walking/dashing to get by things easier

iKiLLOTz

Smash Journeyman
I know im not pro or anything, but it seems like most of the time a Snake walks anywhere a tilt is going to follow. It sometimes gets a little predictable and it can/will get punished. But I agree with the facts about running

SuSa

Banned via Administration
*digs amongst posts*

I'm pretty sure this has been being stated since as early as December of 2008..... I'm glad you're reminding people and discovered it yourself however.

@iKill
You can do smashes from a walk.
You can still dash attack from a walk. (IDA, considering the dash itself is not needed... just the run)
You can still perform specials from a walk.
You can still jump and perform aerials.
You can still shield.

When you run:
You can perform specials.
You can jump and do aerials.
You can shield.
You can perform a dash attack.

:nifty::leek:

Walking in theory gets you better options, but you need the situations to know that it is indeed a better option. I hit someone across the stage with Ftilt at 100%, walking is likely not going to be the best option. Mortar slide follow up is probably the best option to get into position more quickly. This arguement has always been way to general.

napZzz

Smash Hero
playing on reaction is much much easier when walking. DID YOU READ MY POST EVEN SUSA?

its just much much much easier to make reads when you walk, and you can still start a dash anytime you want, controlling snake just becomes 10x easier

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I think the fact that you can't randomly trip from a walk is reason alone to walk.

I like to short hop a lot too since Air Dodge>Spot Dodge.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure this has been being stated since as early as December of 2008..... I'm glad you're reminding people and discovered it yourself however.
Dont bother posting if you feel like this is something you already know about, think twice about it and take it as a refresher in that case
good job actually reading 3 sentences into my post, and my bad. I'm just trying to share things people might've forgotten about or that could help other snake players....I didn't just discover this susa -_- stop being so patronizing everytime you talk to me, it gets annoying.

good job actually reading 3 sentences into my post, and my bad. I'm just trying to share things people might've forgotten about or that could help other snake players....I didn't just discover this susa -_- stop being so patronizing everytime you talk to me, it gets annoying.
Edit: Noobs run

Fail post

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Good job reading the second part of my post.

I'm glad you're reminding people and discovered it yourself however.

Calzorz

Smash Lord
i just run and walk when i feel its best to i dont plan to walk the whole match haha :p

napZzz

Smash Hero
Good job reading the second part of my post.

I'm glad you're reminding people and discovered it yourself however.

I'm gonna stop posting when I'm high

it just helps for overall movement...I feel like walking in general is something people dont really think about and should abuse more

Nicks

Smash Journeyman
i can see the benefits of walking everywhere, but i just watched the vids of razer and ally at mlg dallas and both of them basically run all the time!!!

does anyone know why they run and not walk?

XNHX

Smash Rookie
walking and running arn't snakes only options to zone or space.... just a simple dash should be good as well... im not talking about dash and keep running, im just talking about a simple tape of the control stick....a good example would be out of a dthrow... if u dash in 1 direction after the down throw to either side the opp only has two options. get up attack or roll away...hes obv not going to roll into you just to get grabbed again...so a good follow up might be a dacus or just a dash attack if they get up attack. i think fox trot is the terminology but it works well to space opp bec there is no lag from the running annimation bec u arnt running ur just doing a quick dash...theres obvi pleanty of uses and all snake mains know this but i figured that we should not only look at running and walking as the only two options

Top Bottom