• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
This is the thread for the monthly Super Smash Bros. Brawl tournaments for the Greater Vancouver Area in B.C., Canada. The competitive community here is relatively young, but is steadily growing, and features a diverse group of players of all ages with a character spread that covers much of the roster. The result is an exciting tournament atmosphere that leads to plenty of interesting matches and generates unique results with each event.

Though we have regular events on a conistant basis, we plan to have larger events once every few months in which we try and bring in groups from outside of B.C. to compete. Our most recent event, Phoenix Brawl 4, did just that, bringing in 9 players from Alberta in addition to our regulars here. In the future, tournaments aiming to attract Out of Province attention will be designated as Phoenix events, and will have their own threads (I will update this post with relevant links when needed). The results for all tournaments held at the Home Video venue, including both the monthlies and the Phoenix events, will be archived below for your convenience. =]

Links to Past Results:

Phoenix Brawl 1 (29 entrants)
Phoenix Brawl 2 (15 entrants)
Phoenix Brawl 3 (19 entrants)
Phoenix Brawl 4 (guest appearences from Alberta!) (35 entrants)
Home Video Monthly I (14 entrants)

Other Links:

Home Video Tournament Series on AllisBrawl
B.C. Brawl Power Rankings

Stronghold Games
5558 Lane St, Burnaby, BC V5H 2H4
(604) 568-6030
(click for a link to the location on Google Maps)

If you have any questions or concerns about reaching the venue via public transit, feel free to ask me, whether it's through a post in this thread, a VM, or a PM.

Entry Fees:

Venue Fee: $5
Brawl Singles: $5 (free for first-time entrants)
Brawl Doubles: $5 per person ($10 per team)

Low Tier Doubles: $2 per team
Payouts:

Total entry fees for each event will be split into portions and distributed among the top placing players as follows...

Doubles
1st - $(pot size - 10)
2nd - $5 each

Singles
1st - 60%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%

*Note - Pot splits may change depending on the attendance.

Schedule:

12:00pm - Venue opens, friendlies, registration begins
1:00pm - Brawl doubles starts
3:00pm - Brawl singles starts
7:00pm - Brawl Low Tier doubles starts
10:00pm - Venue closes

If you are not registered for each event before the written start time, you will not be entered.

Rules:

We will be using the Apex Ruleset for this tournament. (click the embedded link for details) However, we will not be banning double MK from doubles, and Halberd and Delfino will be banned.

Set-ups:

The venue provides us with more than enough CRT TVs, so don't worry about bringing those. We do, however, need plenty of Wiis. If you can bring yours, please do so, and post it here! I will keep an updated list of who is bringing equipment here.

So far:

Attendence:

If you are able to attend, please post, and I'll put you on the list. A star denotes that the person is unconfirmed. Bold means they're from out of province.

Housing:
Anybody who needs a place to stay overnight or is able to provide housing for anybody should post here.

I hope to see you there!

:005::008:

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
aw man i'd love to come to this, maybe we'll see alberta come to one of these again, but even more of us to tear you apart!

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Jake, did you talk to Mike about the stagelist? I approve so hard, it's not even funny.

EDIT: Actually I don't. No pictochat or norfair? **** this monthly.

bundtcake

Smash Ace
oh gawd, what is with that neutral list monstrosity

also, entire paragraphs in italics? my eeeeeeeyes have some trouble reading that

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Sign me up!!

I'll need a partner, unless blue yoshi wants to team with me again

very colourful OP
Why thank you! :colorful:

aw man i'd love to come to this, maybe we'll see alberta come to one of these again, but even more of us to tear you apart!
I want to plan another Phoenix event in a few months to get another great showing from AB. We might be able to get some people up from the U.S. as well. I'm thinking sometime in January or February will work best, but we're going to have to coordinate tournament dates to make it happen. I don't know if you guys have anything big planned around that time, but we'll work around it. =]

Jake, did you talk to Mike about the stagelist? I approve so hard, it's not even funny.

EDIT: Actually I don't. No pictochat or norfair? **** this monthly.
lol

No, this is just B.C.'s old stagelist with Lylat Cruise and Castle Siege moved to the Starter list to get a 7-stage strike list going. A lot of people wouldn't be impressed if I added those stages. >.<

:008:

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Neither was AB, but honestly I think a lot of the people now like it. The twins and Ash even admitted that they missed all the CP's at Pheonix, and Ash said he wanted to apologize/thank Mike lol. You'll get a mass dislike for it, but eventually people will adjust and in the end like it, unless they're like Dan who just likes smashville and battlefield.

EDIT: You're INSANE if you think brinstar is a less polarizing stage than pictochat >_>

DOUBLE EDIT: Ok this is not my province so I'll leave the stage list a lone lol.

KillLock

Smash Lord
wow luke you forgot one thing-

japan stage list is the best!

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
That's the thing I think a lot of people don't realize; even with a liberal stage list, most of the matches will still wind up on the stages people are comfortable with. Even with the 7-stage starter list, I think a lot of people will find they still play on SV most of the time unless one of the FD/SV/BF loving characters is involved. Still, I'd rather make small changes to the stagelists so people will hopefully be more inclined to feel comfortable with them.

Edit: For the record, I definitely don't think Pictochat is more polarizing than Brinstar, rofl. Pictochat is just frowned upon because of the randomness in the stage, and I didn't add it because I know people will object to it. I have put some thought into this; though I don't fully agree with the stagelist we had before, I don't want to alienate the people who attend by making a lot of sudden changes right away.

DolphinBrick

Smash Rookie
Sign me up, I'm down to get owned for my first tourney

EDIT: But I'm not 100%, seems like a pain to go so far and I won't if it's TOO painful and time doesn't permit

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Well consider this... Once you set a neutral list, everyone in BC will make their random stage list your neutral list. People will play on them, even if they don't want to. Once they start playing on them, they might learn that their character excells on it, and then boom! People start using the 7 or 9 starter list to their advantage. It's a gradual process.

And wtf!! There is like a new person from BC showing up on the boards everyday. AB sucks :(.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Sign me up, I'm down to get owned for my first tourney
Great! You have been added. =]

Edit: We have plenty of people who travel to the venue by transit. If you want to meet up with some of the other people heading there and bus down with them, it will make the trip a lot less tedious. If you have more questions about this, leave me a message and I'll help you out. *goes to add a note about transit to the OP*

Well consider this... Once you set a neutral list, everyone in BC will make their random stage list your neutral list. People will play on them, even if they don't want to. Once they start playing on them, they might learn that their character excells on it, and then boom! People start using the 7 or 9 starter list to their advantage. It's a gradual process.

And wtf!! There is like a new person from BC showing up on the boards everyday. AB sucks :(.
Yeah, we're awesome like that. :embarrass:

5 -> 7 is far more gradual than 5 -> 9. I get what you're saying, but I just think most people would rather not make a jump like that right away. Even if they will get used to it, they'd be more resistant to it at first, and I don't really want that. My primary goal isn't to expand the stagelist; it's to host good tournaments that people will enjoy going to.

ParallelEdit: WTF Rob. ._.

Metà

Smash Master
imo brawl should only be played on like 6-7 stages

everything else is stupid and should only be played in friendlies

are you guys seriously discussing norfair and pictochat? might as well add in distant planet and warioware while you're at it. I know I'm exaggerating, but I just think that a competitive ruleset should be about removing all the bullsh*t and making the game an even playing field. Counterpicks shouldn't have game-changing random elements and giant stage hazards. That's just turning this game back into a party game

TheKoopaBros.

Smash Journeyman
Sign me up. :)

I'm pretty sure I can make it, but I'll let you guys know as soon as I know whether or not anything comes up or not.

Alphicans

Smash Hero

are you guys seriously discussing norfair and pictochat? might as well add in distant planet and warioware while you're at it. I know I'm exaggerating, but I just think that a competitive ruleset should be about removing all the bullsh*t and making the game an even playing field. Counterpicks shouldn't have game-changing random elements and giant stage hazards. That's just turning this game back into a party game
Distant planet is, or was on our stage list in AB. Warioware is ridiculous. Learn your **** about stages! Pictochat is considered a very good choice as a starter by many, and the BBR easily voted it as a CP.

SKidd

Smash Master
Leave me unconfirmed

I do not approve of Castle Siege or Lylat Cruise
duelist stage needs to be leagalized lolz

Will there be Melee?

Asa

Smash Hero
why are you unconfirmed?

castle seige NOR lylat cruise

and those stages aren't even bad for mario lol

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo

This game is still very young. It took you guys a very long time before the Melee community opted for banning Mute City, taking Pokémon Stadium off of the starter list, and banning Pokéfloats, right??

There are different techniques to exploit and impliment based upon stages that are special and unique to characters, and the way things work in Brawl is very different from what works and what doesn't in Melee. Give the game some time to evolve and grow further, then we can decide and look at what's banned/CP/starter worthy and the like. Norfair is no better than Brinstar is as a counterpick, imo. The only reason Norfair gets further flack in my opinion is because of Meta Knight's planking capabilities for all the platforms. Otherwise Game & Watch LOVES that stage.

I used to think the same way that you did when it came to stages (still think that Halberd being a neutral is sort of silly; as is what some places do), but in a new game with a broader perspective, it's healthier than to just shut out all the potential in a scene from the get-go. You guys waited quite some time, didn't you??

Let us wait and see.

@ Eric

More Mario vs. Sonic! Looove that match-up.

Captain L

Smash Champion
I think we should add distant planet and remove the ledge grab limit. These two changes are completely unrelated by the way.

Crisis

Smash Ace
Going but unconfirmed. Also offering rides if I can get a car and it's on the way from my place. I'm a new driver though if that matters. :p

Edit: Asa we still need to play! :)

SKidd

Smash Master
why are you unconfirmed?

castle seige NOR lylat cruise

and those stages aren't even bad for mario lol
I am unconfirmed because I am probably able to go, but have not discussed this at all with my family. I will probably be confirmed in one or two days.

I apologize for the grammatical error.

I simply dislike Lylat or Siege; who wants to start on Castle Siege? **** sucks.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I am unconfirmed because I am probably able to go, but have not discussed this at all with my family. I will probably be confirmed in one or two days.

I apologize for the grammatical error.

I simply dislike Lylat or Siege; who wants to start on Castle Siege? **** sucks.
You're my favorite 10 year old ever.

Crisis

Smash Ace
yup we do lol

how big is your car and how confirmed are you
Going for sure unless I have way too much school work. Should be borrowing my mom's car which is small, and can fit 4 passengers, I think. Hope you guys like hello kitty seats ;).

SKidd

Smash Master
Alphicans, we should have played at Phoenix 4.

What is this sheriff business?

Top Bottom