• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basic Brawl/Team Battle Signals

global-wolf

Smash Champion
Since Nintendo didn't make a way for people who meet up in team battle to exchange friend codes and play each other more, I was thinking we could make a sort of system where we could figure out the other person's friend code, or at least direct both players to a "meeting spot" online where they could communicate with each other. Lots of times I run into really good players in With Anyone mode and I really wanted to play with them some more. Obviously this would only work if the other player was also onto it and knew the the signals, but that'll probably come naturally if this has any success at all.

--IDEAS--

Jab counting
Something like duck>duck>short-hop could mean "I want to exchange FC." The other also responds with a duck>duck>short-hop as well. You can duck 3 times to say "I get you but lemme get a pen and paper," then to the duck>duck>Short-hop sequence. Then the one who initiated the FC starts to give the FC. Slowly jab-cancel at the speed it takes to say Mississippi. Do 3 single jabs if your first number in your FC is 3. Short-hop in order to say "next number" then start jab-canceling your second digit--6 single jabs if your second number is 6. Whatchuguys think?

Edit: Honestly, I myself would never do this. I just figure it's for T-Partiest since you'll be in a mild big environment like on Hyrule.
With Marth:
How about this.

Grab-release, duck, duck, short-hop, to signal you want to exchange friend codes. Then next battle both players choose marth (maybe green marth specifically?)

The player on the left goes first.
Players count jabs for the number. With counter=0, ducking once you've finished that number.
shielding signals you stuffed up.
The recording player ducks to signal they've recorded it. (shields if they need to see it again)
And so on. Dolphin Slash when you've finished a set of 4, fully charged shield-breaker when it's all finished.

Then the other player does it.

How does that sound?
I guess the problem would be if there's more than 2 players, and the other players interrupt it...but there's really nothing to do about that.

Though actually.....just having a meeting spot for players to go to would be a lot simpler:laugh:
Meeting place
@ghostbone: Inr xD

Duck>duck>shorthop sounds like a pretty good idea, the jab thing seems awfully easy to interrupt though. It would work really well for taunt parties. DDS in a normal match could tell the other person to meet them online.

Example: Pikachu is in a Basic Brawl with Ike, Jigglypuff, and Falco where they're actually fighting. The Pikachu thinks the Jigglypuff is pretty good and walks up to Jigglypuff and does the DDS. The Jigglypuff replies by either DDS (yes) or shielding 3 times (no). If the Jigglypuff says yes then the Pikachu goes to some place (this thread, maybe) and says "I was Pikachu and I met a Jigglypuff in Basic Brawl today."

Edit: ninja'd 2x, I post too slow >.>

Judgement
Hmmm... you maybe on to something there. How about you keeping using judgement. And once the number of your FC shows up you start ducking in an attempt to say "that was my number!":awesome: Then proceed to the next digit. Of, course the other player must be aware of the numbers coming up.

Dancing Blade
Possibly something like this.

First ally with somebody using typical taunt party tactics

Counterspam = I want to trade FCs
walk over and spam counter = I'll trade with you
walk over and duck = I'll protect you from P4 while you two trade

DB1-0
DB1/2up-1
DB1/2fd-2
DB1/2up/3up-3
DB1/2up/3fd-4
DB1/2up/3dn-5
DB1/2fd/3up-6
DB1/2fd/3fd-7
DB1/2fd/3dn-8
DB1/2/3/4-9
jump-dair between each set of four

empty jump=delete a number
selfdestruct (possibly Shield Breaker instead)=start over
dolphin slash=understood

jump+nair=start the last set of four over, I missed one

A specific Marth color might help as well.

Alternatively we could spam a particular DB combination to advertise Smashboards <.<

--Advantages/Disadvantages--​

Jab counting pros:
-easy to input
-easy to remember
-easy to tell what the number is

Jab counting cons:
-depending on the character's jab speed, could be slow
-you might miscount... but that probably won't happen.
-no "0" yet...

Meeting place pros:
-very fast

Meeting place cons:
-where to meet? players might come from different sites.
-players might fail to meet up.

Judgement pros:
-easy to input
-very obvious when a number has been reached

Judgement cons:
-entirely luck dependent, you might have to use it many times before getting the right number
-might accidentally skip over the number while mashing side+b.
-no "0"

Dancing blade pros:
-if the other person knows of the system, it's obvious what you're trying to do

Dancing blade cons:
-somewhat difficult to input
-difficult to remember
-limited to one character

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
I heard someone once mention people communicating their FC with a series of ducks, hops, and jabs(?). Hey it could work! Maybe this thread could become a universal guide in doing said FC swap.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Well something as complicated as a friend code would be really hard to give to someone using symbols in-game.....but idk, could use Marth's Dancing blade, it has 18 combinations? So different combinations would mean different numbers. And maybe jumping up and down could be a sign you want their friend code? Crouching repeatedly while giving someone your friend code could mean you stuffed up and need to start again. But then everyone would need to use marth to exchange them......idk

global-wolf

Smash Champion
I think all these ways of exchanging friend codes could work, except for people are gonna attack you in the middle of them. That's the biggest problem... most people are gonna be like "wtf is this person doing" and interrupt your message. A signal would need to be short and very obvious to the recipitent. *thinks*

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Something like duck>duck>short-hop could mean "I want to exchange FC." The other also responds with a duck>duck>short-hop as well. You can duck 3 times to say "I get you but lemme get a pen and paper," then to the duck>duck>Short-hop sequence. Then the one who initiated the FC starts to give the FC. Slowly jab-cancel at the speed it takes to say Mississippi. Do 3 single jabs if your first number in your FC is 3. Short-hop in order to say "next number" then start jab-canceling your second digit--6 single jabs if your second number is 6. Whatchuguys think?

Edit: Honestly, I myself would never do this. I just figure it's for T-Partiest since you'll be in a mild big environment like on Hyrule.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
If only we could control G&W's hammer numbers.....
Hmmm... you maybe on to something there. How about you keeping using judgement. And once the number of your FC shows up you start ducking in an attempt to say "that was my number!":awesome: Then proceed to the next digit. Of, course the other player must be aware of the numbers coming up.

Life

Smash Hero
Possibly something like this.

First ally with somebody using typical taunt party tactics

Counterspam = I want to trade FCs
walk over and spam counter = I'll trade with you
walk over and duck = I'll protect you from P4 while you two trade

DB1-0
DB1/2up-1
DB1/2fd-2
DB1/2up/3up-3
DB1/2up/3fd-4
DB1/2up/3dn-5
DB1/2fd/3up-6
DB1/2fd/3fd-7
DB1/2fd/3dn-8
DB1/2/3/4-9
jump-dair between each set of four

empty jump=delete a number
selfdestruct (possibly Shield Breaker instead)=start over
dolphin slash=understood

jump+nair=start the last set of four over, I missed one

A specific Marth color might help as well.

Alternatively we could spam a particular DB combination to advertise Smashboards <.<

global-wolf

Smash Champion
@ghostbone: Inr xD

Duck>duck>shorthop sounds like a pretty good idea, the jab thing seems awfully easy to interrupt though. It would work really well for taunt parties. DDS in a normal match could tell the other person to meet them online.

Example: Pikachu is in a Basic Brawl with Ike, Jigglypuff, and Falco where they're actually fighting. The Pikachu thinks the Jigglypuff is pretty good and walks up to Jigglypuff and does the DDS. The Jigglypuff replies by either DDS (yes) or shielding 3 times (no). If the Jigglypuff says yes then the Pikachu goes to some place (this thread, maybe) and says "I was Pikachu and I met a Jigglypuff in Basic Brawl today."

Edit: ninja'd 2x, I post too slow >.>

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Usually when someone regects your FC request it's with a F-smash.:laugh:
Coming to this thread is a good idea but first this thread needs to gain popularity. Finding random people on a large scale is hard.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
How about this.

Grab-release, duck, duck, short-hop, to signal you want to exchange friend codes. Then next battle both players choose marth (maybe green marth specifically?)

The player on the left goes first.
Players count jabs for the number. With counter=0, ducking once you've finished that number.
shielding signals you stuffed up.
The recording player ducks to signal they've recorded it. (shields if they need to see it again)
And so on. Dolphin Slash when you've finished a set of 4, fully charged shield-breaker when it's all finished.

Then the other player does it.

How does that sound?
I guess the problem would be if there's more than 2 players, and the other players interrupt it...but there's really nothing to do about that.

Though actually.....just having a meeting spot for players to go to would be a lot simpler:laugh:

arch knight

Smash Lord
good concept but you what remember there might be lag so alot of mishaps might occur so by the time you get half your fc done the match might end while you try to avoid others :laugh:

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
I think the G&W idea that Ghostbone thought of would be pretty good. You wouldn't have to worry about lag. Just Judgment until your first number digit comes out then ring your bell taunt and proceed to the next digit. The Self-Destruct idea by InferiorityCompelx sounds good if you want them to start over. :laugh:

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
I think the G&W idea that Ghostbone thought of would be pretty good. You wouldn't have to worry about lag. Just Judgment until your first number digit comes out then ring your bell taunt and proceed to the next digit. The Self-Destruct idea by InferiorityCompelx sounds good if you want them to start over. :laugh:
Pure Genius!!!!

I like this Thread.

Everyone should be G&W and use the down taunt in case they didn't get all the numbers.

arch knight

Smash Lord
Pure Genius!!!!

I like this Thread.

Everyone should be G&W and use the down taunt in case they didn't get all the numbers.
i wouldnt call it genius its an excellent Idea however you can decide what numbers appear when so youll be there a while :/

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
True...you'll have to be able to do it in under 2 mins. It's still worth a try.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
You'll have to do it under 2 minutes while having people attack you (possibly.) I'll add all the suggestions into the OP.

We should test these out. I really want to but I don't have brawl right now :(

Red(SP)

Smash Journeyman
True...you'll have to be able to do it in under 2 mins. It's still worth a try.
True.

It depends on what match it is, though.

And you have Sudden death(If it was a taunt match, for example), owait.
Bo-bombs would be every where at that time/moment.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Wow people like the hammer idea :D.
So uhh, we still need something for zero, maybe the bucket?

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
What about:

Duck>Duck>SH to signal you want to trade FCs
Duck>duck>dtitlt from the opponent to agree

Then, use something like this:
B=0
^B=1
>b=2
<b=3
down b=4
grab=5
Up taunt=6
Side taunt =7
down taunt=8
Airdodge=9

Red(SP)

Smash Journeyman
What about:

Duck>Duck>SH to signal you want to trade FCs
Duck>duck>dtitlt from the opponent to agree

Then, use something like this:
B=0
^B=1
>b=2
<b=3
down b=4
grab=5
Up taunt=6
Side taunt =7
down taunt=8
Airdodge=9
I'd like to make one modification to that.

Change "Airdodge" to "dodge", and HUZZAH.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
The only problem I'd say about assigning numbers to moves is that you'll have a lot to remember. This is my FC;
B, >B, B, >B, grab, airdodge, Up-taunt, airdodge, <B, <B, B, Down taunt.

Now, unless you have a paper to translate or memorized the code this will be hard. Also, I am not familiar with everyone's directional taunts. As in I can't distinguish what direction your pressing for your taunt unless I know or play the character.

The Dolphin Slash idea would be good but not everyone can distinguish the whole combination. Also lag might throw you off and the slashes come out pretty quick.

I like the meeting place idea. It just has to be in conjunction with another idea. As in, you see your potential friend in Basic Brawl, exchange FC using a method trying to be established here and then once you have the friend code you can stop by here to confirm. The only problem is we might have a huge traffic of players once this gets widespread. Your request to find someone might get buried with others trying to find their players.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
That's true, but we can still try.

I think memorizing specific commands for numbers is too difficult and people will probably mess up or forget. So far counting jabs and shielding in between each one seems like the best method. Jabs are generally one of the character's fastest moves and stuff like Fox's or Falcon's continuous jabs can be avoided with jab canceling.

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
Ike's jab cancels would work best for practice.

Jab down Jab Jab down Jab Jab Jab down Jab Jab Jab Jab down SHIELD Jab Jab Jab Jab Jab down etc....

that would translate to be:
1234 5678 9012

Ike's taunt to start the Friend Coding would be "Prepare yourself"
Ike's down taunt to say "Did you get it?" would be his up taunt (the one where he sounds like a revving car)
and to say if "You want me to start over?" would be his down taunt.

But just like what was said in earlier posts, not everyone would know and it would be a tad hard to memorize what various taunts mean.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
I was thinking 1234-5678-9012 would be

Jab shield Jab Jab shield Jab Jab Jab shield... etc. 0 would be utilt. So 50 would be Jab Jab Jab Jab Jab shield utilt.

The signal for wanting to trade would be Duck Duck Shorthop, that way every character can do it.

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
Yeah shield actually works best. I think 0 is such a hard number to make/decipher. :urg:

global-wolf

Smash Champion
Yeah, there's no such thing as a no-jab and shielding twice might be interpreted as an accident. Dtilt might also be an accident. Utilt is usually pretty fast.

...Wait... what about Ganondorf? :urg:

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
Well I'm testing out every character now as we speak.
I'll start with Ganondorf and I think he's the easiest since he has one jab.
I think grab should be 0.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
Grab wouldn't work very well for characters with long and slow grabs like Samus though... same with Utilt with Ganondorf. Nair maybe?

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
Oh yeah...I forgot about Samus, Zamus, Link and Tink x__x;
A charged fsmash could work as well..

but then again we have snake with that dam starting lag with fsmash and that ending lag with nair. :glare:

Variable

Smash Ace
Just put your message as "I want to exchange Friend codes" and taunt... simple... or put your friend code in a taunt message.

Top Bottom