• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sawndz 0.1 - Replace SFX in seconds

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
Sawndz 0.1
I couldn't think of a better name.

This is a program to make sound replacing much quicker, as no hex editor is needed. It still needs fixes and improvements, but it's usable.
Downloads​
No additional files are needed when using the versions 0.03 and newer.
Special thanks to mastaklo and stickman.

Please write what should I do to make this app better.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
this is genuis but one problem I saw directly.

where can I find the 3 missing files? xD
People say they're from Wii SDK or stuff, so I decided not to publish them. xP
Every sound swapping guide requires at least one of them.

Captain Kwark

Smash Apprentice
Finally a sound replacement GUI.
But after Step 2 fixless I get Error left mouse click or something.

For app improvement, you should put in keyboard shortcuts like Ctrl + V and make it read Hex values if possible.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
It would be nice if you remembered what the error message was about. I had them only when one of files was missing (but that was after "failure" message was shown).

Now I'm working on reading hex values. I've put Ctrl+V and Ctrl+C functions into new version.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
Within one day, I come up with a new version with some basic stuff that make it much more comfortable to use implemented (no more converting offsets to decimal values). Next will take a longer time, unless there are BIG errors in this one.
It can load files from previous version. I included some examples for PAL soundpacks with it.
Check out first post.

Smash Bro

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like this app has potential XD Maybe I'll finally be able to get into SFX replacing.

A tip, though; change the thread title to attract more people, potentially the people who could help perfect this. Make it something like: "Sawndz: the new SFX Replacement App!"

Or something.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
If you post the step by step way your program automates replacing of files then someone could help, or the src, or something

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
It's pretty easy anyway - it's basically automatically doing steps from stickman's tutorial.

If somebody wants to, PM me for details.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Looks ******. Glad to see you got an automator for this process. I'll try working with it some when I feel like getting Melee Link in sometime.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
I noticed a huge bug in the program. Therefore, I rush with the new update. File compatibility was kept, but there is a big probability wave size is incorrect (I messed up second offset to size converter - it was spitting hexadecimal values instead of decimal).
Note: wave size was replaced by offset of next wave on the list. I thought these would be more comfy to use.
Everybody who got the program before, please download this.
http://www.mediafire.com/?nbr9aw5sa4lja11
Report bugs please.

edit: Also, a bit of info for those who wanna help.
- Inserting sounds to group snd_group_joucyu works only with fixless insertion, quality isn't perfect and they come out very quiet ingame. (tested on 3 punch sounds - Wave49-51)
- Inserting voices works fine. (tested on 2 Captain Falcon samples)
- Inserting announcer character calls works only with fixless insertion and quality isn't perfect. (tested on Metaknight call)

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Good to hear voice insertion is clean. I hope you get general sound effects (if that's what joucyu is?) working since it applies to every character. I'd love to get me some Melee and 64 hit sounds in.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
New version up - 0.03
Big features:
- New interface by mastaklo
- No additional files needed - just grab the program, sound, smashbox and insert it
-Unavailable-
Report any bugs you find immediately.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
a little help please :/
I can do everything to step 1 but the step 2 is the problem :/
in the help, it saying I will get 2 sounds files (stp and snd) but I dont get them D:

what should I do?

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
You don't? Well, that's a problem - I get those files after pressing Step 1 and I assured I'm using the uploaded version. I'm gonna check the program.

In meantime you may want to use the older version - 0.2. It's still up (but it requires those 3 files and has a bug that makes using it a bit harder).
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?nbr9aw5sa4lja11

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
You don't? Well, that's a problem - I get those files after pressing Step 1 and I assured I'm using the uploaded version. I'm gonna check the program.

In meantime you may want to use the older version - 0.2. It's still up (but it requires those 3 files and has a bug that makes using it a bit harder).
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?nbr9aw5sa4lja11
the problem is I dont have the 3 files either D:

but I can wait :3 no need to hurry

stickman

Smash Apprentice
I have the same problem; the .spt and .spd don't show up after I hit the step 1 button. It appears that the file name that the program is looking for has been changed. (It can't find the name of the sound to replace, so nothing happens) I used a .dat file and it worked on the old version, but not on the new version (the .dat itself is fine, it's just the step 1 button with an issue)

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
Okay, here is quickly fixed app. Version 0.035. All changes that were made are about Step 1 button - now it works like in older versions of program, but also informs the user about the results of conversion and doesn't leave garbage (this is sound.txt and sound.h).
-unavailable-
Write if it works, then I'll update the first post with this.

Captain Kwark

Smash Apprentice
I've tried version 0.031, but I can't get passed Step 1.
Created a backup of the brsar and named the wave file sound.wav, but all i'm getting is "you're doing it wrong". While in 0.03 I can't get pass Step 2.

EDIT: Just checked 0.035. At Step 1 I get a message with "sound.wav is missing" while the sound.wav is present in the same folder.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
I've tried version 0.031, but I can't get passed Step 1.
Created a backup of the brsar and named the wave file sound.wav, but all i'm getting is "you're doing it wrong". While in 0.03 I can't get pass Step 2.
Try the newest version (in my previous post). It should get rid of the Step 1 problems, but now I'll be trying to fix the Step 2.

EDIT: Problem with Step 2 probably identified, now fixing.
EDIT3: Step 1 not working, trying to fix.

Captain Kwark

Smash Apprentice
Nope didn't work I keep getting "failure WAVE not found".
The values are correct.

EDIT: I wrote the offsets in decimal. Now I realise I have to put it in hex.
EDIT2: 0.035b is perfect. Found no problems.

stickman

Smash Apprentice
my 35 was working fine. i tried announcer calls just to see why they weren't as good of quality as the other sounds, and it is because the fix is in the wrong spot. (i don't know why it would work on other sounds, but not announcer calls) from my two tests, the announcer call fix is misplaced E0 bytes after the place where it's supposed to go (which also corrupts the sound where it does paste).
you probably knew that though, i'm just putting in my little bit of feedback :p

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks. Gotta try it out and put in next version (hopefully it won't have to be released that fast).

mastaklo

Smash Cadet
v.0.04 Release
Changelog:
new loading screen
step1 and step2 fixes
Download

edit:
didnt see that there is a fixed version now
i just leave it here or do you want me to remove it Jaklub?

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
v.0.04 Release
Changelog:
new loading screen
step1 and step2 fixes
Download

edit:
I don't mind.

Next release will have number 0.05, because I plan at least one next big feature to be there (while fixing bugs I found something rather interesting).

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
v.0.04 Release
Changelog:
new loading screen
step1 and step2 fixes
Download
edit:
now it worked 100% : D
great work you guys!
my 35 was working fine. i tried announcer calls just to see why they weren't as good of quality as the other sounds, and it is because the fix is in the wrong spot. (i don't know why it would work on other sounds, but not announcer calls) from my two tests, the announcer call fix is misplaced E0 bytes after the place where it's supposed to go (which also corrupts the sound where it does paste).
you probably knew that though, i'm just putting in my little bit of feedback :p
I know how to fix the announcers problem.
All the Waves (the characters example) has a Frequency on 32000 - 48000. Most of the Wav is in 48000 to perfect sound.
but all the announcer call has a Frequency on 16000 and if you trying to input a wav file with Frequency with 48000, it ends up bad quality and much darker sound. if you trying the other way round, it will end up with a much lighter and faster sound.

Easy to fix this. Just put the wav in "Audacity".
edit the Frequency in lower left corner from 48000 to 16000.
Save as wav,
import the sound again but take away some seconds at the end (it always add some seconds at the end so its good to take away those)
save it again!

try to put it into announcer call and ta-dah! perfect quality :3

stickman

Smash Apprentice
now it worked 100% : D
great work you guys!

I know how to fix the announcers problem.
All the Waves (the characters example) has a Frequency on 32000 - 48000. Most of the Wav is in 48000 to perfect sound.
but all the announcer call has a Frequency on 16000 and if you trying to input a wav file with Frequency with 48000, it ends up bad quality and much darker sound. if you trying the other way round, it will end up with a much lighter and faster sound.

Easy to fix this. Just put the wav in "Audacity".
edit the Frequency in lower left corner from 48000 to 16000.
Save as wav,
import the sound again but take away some seconds at the end (it always add some seconds at the end so its good to take away those)
save it again!

try to put it into announcer call and ta-dah! perfect quality :3
I know how to do that (it's in my guide ;) ) but that only works with the manual guide. The program itself is misplacing the fix. The sound will be flawless quality if the fix is there, but the fix doesn't get put in the right spot when the program is used (as of .035. I didn't try .04 yet).

u got served

Smash Rookie
Ummm im not sure if this is an issue with this tool or whether i made a mistake myself but i've been using this to try and replace Marth's announcer call and everything goes smoothly except it keeps replacing the wrong thing. Instead of his Announcer call being replaced one of his attack sounds is replaced. Im on a 64-bit PC so i am not 100% sure that i chose the right wave file to replace, i was told that wave 16 is Marth's Announcer call so that's what i've been trying to replace.

u got served

Smash Rookie
Finally thank you for that it works brilliantly now i need to extend my replacement call (I shrank it as much as possible because i thought it would be to big :p). Once again thank you this is a lot easier to use than Stickman's guide (no offense Stickman but there are some parts in that guide that are frustrating).

.Fade

Smash Journeyman
Do you need Riivolution for this?

uselessquestionisuseless

Top Bottom