• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong's Barrels of Matchups~ Character ~ ROB

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I'm helping Dfear get some of our matches updated for this year. Right now i have decided to do ROB since apparently we lose that MU and we have no thread for it.

Discuss this robotic freak

Both Characters Air Game Against Each Other:
Both Characters Ground Game Against Each Other:
Moves To Avoid and HOW to avoid them:
Diddy's Moves to Utilize In The Matchup:
Personal Strategies To Help With Matchup:
Overall Character Ratio:

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
wow really? stingers has gone on and on saying that ROB ***** diddy. hmm. well if anyone wants to discuss just do the normal

Overall Character Ratio:

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
Both Characters Air Game Against Each Other: He ***** ours if he can space well, kind like Marf cept` his aerials seem to have more start-up lag. Our Fair can **** his Nair if they use it carelessly but his Fair or a spaced Nair either trades or beats out Fair. Also Bair > Uair against him unless he lost his second jump in which case juggling him is easy as long as the Uair isn't mistimed.

Both Characters Ground Game Against Each Other: Diddy has one of the best ground games in the game but it's weakened because of that **** Gyro, which can block naners at least once, or more if it's fully charged(IIRC) and ROB can take the opening we give him to lazer us and knock us away, same if he spaces Ftilt. Dsmash shouldn't be a problem, and naners can usually create a trap to **** his rolls.

Nair - Either run under or run away him if he's using it up high, if he's approaching with it, OoS Uair or Bair can punish. If they FFNair, shieldgrab or OoS Usmash.

Fair - A rly well-timed OoS Fair or mabee Bair can punish it. If they approach, space and time a MFK.

Dsmash - Shield, don't spotdodge, we have a lot of OoS options to destroy him if he tries spamming it. (Dsmash, Bair, Uair if it's timed, Fair, grab, etc.)

Fsmash - MFK or Monkey Hump are the best punishes IMO, aside from using naners. Its range isn't that gud, just bait it and the rest is history. :I

Bair - Most of the time ROB won't be able to use it so much, just be careful and hope you have a Monkey Flip to punish or recover. MFK is best for punishing.

Fair - For offense, since it'll trade hits if they don't space and it comes out faster than their Nair which they like to use a lot.

Uair - For juggling or juggling set-ups.

Dsmash - To punish his Dsmash.

MFK/Monkey Hump - To recover or punish any spaced attacks.

Utilt - Juggling set-up.

Usmash - Juggling set-up; to shield poke.

Dtilt - Badly-spaced ground attacks or if yur next to him.

Personal Strategies To Help With Matchup: Stay at least out of Ftilt/Fair range but no further than that, have a naner on the floor in front of yourself and shoot a peanut then move in. T counter any planking, camp from behind a naner with a naner in hand, PS any lazers(they tend to use it after shooting their Gyro.

Overall Character Ratio: 30-70 or 25-75 ROB's favor. :I

stingers

Smash Obsessed
wtf p1...fair does not **** ROB ever. where did you get that from?

ROB does beat diddy. gyro controls nanners. ftilt ***** everything you have on the ground. ROB edgeguards diddy HARD. better than MK does imo. you have no way to get past bair if you're on the ledge.
55-45 ROB i'd say.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
is it better to play patiently against ROB or go aggro? how is ROB's camp game against diddy? and is there a weak spot where he cant out range us, but we are still close enough to overwhelm him?

DFEAR

Smash Hero
he can only do 1 move to u from far-range, some mid-range, everything close-range

just limit his options based on the range both of you are at. continue from there ;)

Count

Smash Champion
Okay, when I play ROB I like to pretend like there is a string connected to ROB and Diddy, as if they are puppets. We want to be outside his tilt range and inside our banana range. Additionally, my eyes are on ROB at all times, not Diddy. You can powershield ROB's laser on reaction, the timing isn't difficult.

-Peanuts are a hindrance to ROB. This sounds stupid at first, but peanuts really bug ROB and mess up his spacing. Seriously, try pestering him with peanuts.

-You HAVE to keep it a mixup, but side B can be abused on ROB.

-Simply hit up to DI out of ROB's downsmash. SDI isn't even needed.

-UPTHROW ROB. ROB has a huge blind spot underneath him. He has a terrible airdodge, and has very few options on his way down.

-Most ROB's spotdodge all the time. Dribble bananas underneath their shield.

Recovering against ROB is tough but its definitely easier than meta knight..just use all of your options! Be careful about recovering from low, rob can FF fair and its a pretty easy gimp.

Basically, powershielding on reaction and using upthrow are key in this matchup. The matchup is tough, don't me wrong, but it is far from a 60-40 matchup. And I'm not just using empty words here..I've fought every noteworthy ROB except stingers and chibo. I say that the matchup is even.

Sails

Smash Ace
Airgame on stage is about even. As said, each character can punish each other equally and trade hits. Diddy has a slightly easier time juggling ROB, while ROB can land harder hits in the air easier. The air game is solely ruled by player skill and outperforming. Each character has a range attack in the air that can set up strings, with ROBs being more difficult but more powerful with Diddy's being vice versa. Offstage, ROB performs better. A great recovery allowing plenty of counters to any gimps Diddy may try, as well as being able to travel offstage after Diddy without (much) fear.
The ground is a different story from the air sadly, with ROB having enough camp and punish that tips the matchup in his favor. Diddy can't sit behind bananas all day due to ROBs projectiles, as well as can't throw his bananas around too much for fear of ROB nabbing one. If ROB gets a banana, things can become quite annoying and it becomes priority to get it away from him. This is where ROBs camp and punish shines the best, with three (Or four if that second banana got away too!) projectiles and glide toss setups making you sure to be in fear.
Don't bother trying to pick up the gyro, it's just going to make you mad. You'll not only take hits from it randomly, but you'll also open yourself up to punish by taking the bait. Just as Diddy can punish when characters go for his bananas, ROB also excels at this. Attempt to put yourself between the gyro and ROB so the wall stops existing for the time being. This also removes a key move from ROB momentarily, making it an excellent chance to move in (Don't forget to shield that incoming laser though!). Other moves to watch out for are all of his kill moves (Nair, dair, bair are deadly when being air dodge baited) which will destroy you at early percentages, as well as dsmash. This move is annoying, keep your distance.
SideB is great against ROB as has been said. You'll want to throw this in, but don't finish the flip with a kick very often. It's high risk low reward, the extra possible damage is not worth the incredible punishment ROB can lay on you. Bait ROB with bananas if you feel confident about it. Throw one near him and capitalize when he goes for it with sideB or even better; a rising Fair. This is especially recommended since ROB is large and leans forward when on the move. ROB is quite big horizontally, so if you're next to him do not be afraid to dribble right through him and almost always land a trip. Bair out of shield works well against ROB as well, mostly because if a ROB hits your shield there is a high chance they're going to spam Dsmash which you will be hopping over and punishing with.
Be good. This matchup is tilted almost entirely by player skill. If you want to win this, you have to know the matchup better than your opponent. If you end up winning game one, it's not over yet. ROB is at a much larger advantage in a good counter pick like Frigate or another ROB favored map such as Halberd. It will likely go to game three if player skill is equal. If you lose game one though (Which on a conservative stagelist, you shouldn't), you're in a largely uphill battle.

Overall Character Ratio:
ROB 55-45

Quick summary: The matchup is even in almost all areas. Sadly, almost exists in that sentence. ROB will win on more stages than Diddy will, has a great ground and offstage game, and will punish and kill early. However, Diddy's usual tricks still can slip up ROB provided a proper environment and will rack up damage due to ROBs size/speed and general predictability.

Note: I've played this matchup quite a bit, but not against any pro ROBs yet, so my input may be inadequate.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Choco: Let's see Nexus take on Felix and see who's viable. I agree with Felix, it's about 50-50, there might be an advantage to one of them somewhere, but if it's anyone it'd be Diddy.

And I don't recognize the name Greatness 007, who are you exactly if you've played with me?

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
if the last sentence isnt a troll, then im in stitches.

anyways, T0mmy can u shed some light of what you think diddys should do in this MU?

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
But if N3xU5 were to fight Felix he'd sandbag because he's not a d-bag and doesn't want to make you feel bad. :I

N3xU5

Smash Apprentice
btw the Mu is rob 55-45 cuz if rob takes didy bananas hes even better with them than diddy while most chracters cant do much with them, and without banas didy is a bad chracter lol soyeah its rob 55-45 maybe even 60-40

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
btw the Mu is rob 55-45 cuz if rob takes didy bananas hes even better with them than diddy while most chracters cant do much with them, and without banas didy is a bad chracter lol soyeah its rob 55-45 maybe even 60-40
stingers said the same thing.

im starting to believe it is 6-4.

T0MMY

Smash Master
At first it seems like it's R.O.B.s advantage when you start using the bananas against him, but Diddy has a lot to work with just one Banana. R.O.B. can turn into a beast with all those items on the stage though. It's really a mix, I see it more even than anything, but I wouldn't have any qualms with saying it's Diddy's favor.

I can give some general advice as to what to do against R.O.B. from Diddy's perspective, but really, it would be better if you got Felix to post.

The things that really catch me off guard are Diddy's Side Special attacks. He can Grab me when I have a Shield up and his kick seems to outprioritize nearly every attack I have (though I think F-Air and F-Tilt can stop it, the attack is just very quick to rely on reaction and difficult to predict due to how it can be used as a mindgame).

Throwing Bananas vertically will work out better in high level play because I'll just Z-Air catch or ADC Toss them right back. When R.O.B. Glide-tosses he has different ranges he can use, so he can reach you from quite a distance and if you Shield he can get you with a Grab. Grabs should be looked out for because he has a 2-frame Forward/Backward Throw which means very little time to react with DI. This means you're sent off-stage fairly easily and in a ripe position for a Gimp.

When recovering try not to get below the Stage level, mix up recovery with Side Special and Footstools to keep from getting below R.O.B., he can grab the ledge and force an Up Special where he can time invincibility on a Edge-hog and Gimp you out of it with a F-Air, B-Air, or simply an Edge-hog. If you can land on the stage it's a better place to be, but landing lag could get you B-Air'd and you're back in the same position you were in when trying to recover (or outright KO'd, because that B-Air is awesome).

Learn to always expect a Robo Beam, the laser comes often and will knock you away from Bananas you try to pick up. Gyros will be set near Bananas as well to guard you from picking them up. Once R.O.B. gets those Bananas he can do all kinds of crazy tricks like the Super Burner I invented (he'll fly off stage and KO you very quickly). There's really no way to keep R.O.B. from snatching up your Bananas, so just learn to deal with them the same way he learns to deal with yours. Catch them out of the air, learn to pick them up quickly and throw them irregularly it comes down to who can use items better.

Also remember that R.O.B. is heavy and Diddy doesn't KO very easily. The two combine into a massive trial of patience, don't go for KO moves too early or you'll spam them and have to rely on an U-Air KO or something like that. R.O.B. can KO with an U-Smash, sweet-spotted F-Smash, B-Air, N-Air, and Gimps at mid or low damage levels, so be aware of attacks accordingly at certain %
The good news is Diddy can wrack up damage fairly easily, and this is the kind of stuff you should already know and have practiced, so I won't get into what your leads and follow-ups should be.

And when I can develop the meta game further, you'll have to really watch out for my infinites/0-to-deaths. I believe this is where a major part of the game will progress. I've tried developing a few of these on my own and couldn't believe what I could pull off given 100 years of technical practice, lol. Ok, so it's not THAT technical, but some of the infinites take a lot of timing. However, I believe nearly everything I can come up with Diddy can also perform (disregarding the one due to R.O.B.'s long arms reaching behind Diddy).

Despite so many nuances, the bulk of the match will come down to who uses the items for stage control/pressure/creating openings the best. Because of this I believe it is fairly even.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
ROB has banana infinites on diddy? I was messing around in training just last week trying to figure out something that would work but I couldn't come up with anything. ROB's aerial mobility is too slow to get the Footstool downthrow regrab downthrow footstool chain.

Top Bottom