• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

N64 controller - any new breakthroughs?

Gruelius

Smash Rookie
yeah ive got 2x2 64 controller adapters. was going to use it to play goldeneye 64 in 1080p with mates but i forgot to check if the n64 emulation scene had progressed much, all these small glitches/differences could be found when trying to play it lol.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
yeah ive got 2x2 64 controller adapters. was going to use it to play goldeneye 64 in 1080p with mates but i forgot to check if the n64 emulation scene had progressed much, all these small glitches/differences could be found when trying to play it lol.
sorry to everyone if this is an obviously stupid question but how are you playing n64 emulator on 1080p?

GIMME DAT

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
yeah i think i may have misunderstood something here.

simply resizing my screen once it's plugged into a HD TV will cause it to display in what ever pixels i set it too...im dum lol

Dingus

Smash Cadet
Sorry to bring back this dead thread, but Im still looking for a controller solution. There seem to be a number of options, and Im curious what most people recommend

1) replace the thumbstick with one of those replacement ones you find on amazon (but I heard they lag)

2) Get some random new 3rd party joystick that might be a piece of crap (can anyone recommend a good brand)

3) Get a used N64 controller off ebay and hope for the best.

4) Buy a hori mini pad (I need to replace at least 2, maybe 4 controllers and I dont have the $$ to get 4 hori pads)

5) Do some complicated controller mod and put in a psx thumbstick or something (not realistically feasible since I have no mod experience and I am pretty incompetent)

I cant imagine that most people who still play on console are using fancy modded controllers or hori mini pads. So what does everyone play on and where do you get controllers?

Thanks

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
I ordered a SuperPad and am going to mod in a Gamecube stick since you don't need to do anything extra like add resistors, and it's just a matter of soldering the wires together.

I'll let you know once I finish it how hard it was, but I can't imagine it'd be too difficult.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Just get a hori. Shop around on Taobao and Ebay and stuff and you can probably get a pretty good deal ($40-$50) on a Minipad that works perfectly. Long run, it'll be cheaper than getting more sticks.

Why do you need 4? If it's for 4 people, let the other 3 play on ****ty controllers or else pay for their own minipads, lol.

Olikus

Smash Champion
I buy N64 controller on ebay which is very safe as long as you make sure to read about the items. Make sure its a well praised seller and that in the description of the controller. It stands tight joystick. Thats very important. Ive bought 5 and they all were as good as new. So that shouldnt be a problem.

But hori mini pad is allso a good option. I havent tried it but its a much better joystick than on 64 so even if its more pricey and harder to find, its a good investment that as well.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
option one
pay money for a hori - too bad if you dont like tiny z buttons or a loose stick.

option 2
replace the thumbstick with the new potentiometer style ones - bit 50/50 as to whether the qc is ok.

option 3-
diy, effort for great results

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
blaze! You ended up creating your own IC for a genuine controller and a GC stick, right? How did that end up working out for you?

But more importantly, does it lag/function differently than it should?

Dingus

Smash Cadet
I buy N64 controller on ebay which is very safe as long as you make sure to read about the items. Make sure its a well praised seller and that in the description of the controller. It stands tight joystick. Thats very important. Ive bought 5 and they all were as good as new. So that shouldnt be a problem.
Thanks. Its reassuring that all 5 have been like new, but depressing that you've needed to buy 5. Damn you N64 controllers.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I got three regular N64 controllers on ebay, and one was a little loose. Other two were more or less like new. Make sure it says something like "firm stick" or "refurbished, like-new joystick" in the descrip.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
I'm using an original N64 controller with an USB adapter I bought on Amazon, and it's been working fine.

But, how'd a xBox 360 controller work for smash?

blaze3927

Smash Ace
blaze! You ended up creating your own IC for a genuine controller and a GC stick, right? How did that end up working out for you?

But more importantly, does it lag/function differently than it should?
yeah worked out great, mounting the analog stickcan be rather annoying though
i made two and sold one to 1der/cheers, no lag, multiple range configs, l33t DI , ff uairs peezy,and accurate

Banana Jack

Smash Cadet
what is this ic you speak of? if it's not too hard i may give this a shot.
my previous plan was to take apart the stock thumbstick and try to machine some replacement parts for the ones that were worn...but when i put it back together it started acting funky, so if i can't even take it apart and then put it back together without having issues then i think that plan is a lost cause.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
You guys realize the patent for the n64 controller has run out right?

They sell brand new replicas online and at game stops.

The only downfall I can see with the new replicas is that they might not work online with the adapter (I haven't tried one though so they might work fine).

clubbadubba

Smash Master

The only downfall I can see with the new replicas is that they might not work online with the adapter (I haven't tried one though so they might work fine).
Didn't get the best review iirc.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
what is this ic you speak of? if it's not too hard i may give this a shot.
Integrated circuit. He converted the potentiometer signals (variable resistance) from a Gamecube stick to photodiode signals (that a genuine N64 controller uses) by programming a chip and putting it in the circuit.

And for anyone who still doesn't know what photodiodes are, it is what N64 controller joysticks use, and is actually much more accurate and a better option than the cheaper potentiometers.

Everybody remember these? Well, if you look at your N64 controller, you'll find two small black wheel things with tons of holes, like the white viewmaster slides, connected to the big white part that the stick rests in. When the joystick is moved, these black pieces spin, and as the holes pass a beam of light, the main chip interprets how many times the light is broken and how fast to determine the digital signal (what happens in the game).

Quite fascinating, really! Just like laser tripmines!

my previous plan was to take apart the stock thumbstick and try to machine some replacement parts for the ones that were worn...but when i put it back together it started acting funky, so if i can't even take it apart and then put it back together without having issues then i think that plan is a lost cause.
I once had thoughts of recreating the white bowl part, since it's the main culprit here, getting ground away all the time, but gave up because of how precise the measurements and quality was. I just don't have the tools to measure it out, and I'm not sure the ****ty 3-D printer I was thinking of using would work....

Dingus

Smash Cadet

All the reviews Ive seen for the replica controllers have been real bad though.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yeah, I always heard they had tons of sensitivity problems and so forth. Do you play with one, sheer? I remember you talking about how hard it was to get a controller and how you'd "have to quit" for a while if you didn't find one, so I'm assuming you use the old-skool ones as well?

Banana Jack

Smash Cadet
Integrated circuit. He converted the potentiometer signals (variable resistance) from a Gamecube stick to photodiode signals (that a genuine N64 controller uses) by programming a chip and putting it in the circuit.

And for anyone who still doesn't know what photodiodes are, it is what N64 controller joysticks use, and is actually much more accurate and a better option than the cheaper potentiometers.

Everybody remember these? Well, if you look at your N64 controller, you'll find two small black wheel things with tons of holes, like the white viewmaster slides, connected to the big white part that the stick rests in. When the joystick is moved, these black pieces spin, and as the holes pass a beam of light, the main chip interprets how many times the light is broken and how fast to determine the digital signal (what happens in the game).

Quite fascinating, really! Just like laser tripmines!

I once had thoughts of recreating the white bowl part, since it's the main culprit here, getting ground away all the time, but gave up because of how precise the measurements and quality was. I just don't have the tools to measure it out, and I'm not sure the ****ty 3-D printer I was thinking of using would work....
well, the ****ty cnc machine in my basement might work. if it doesn't, i can always challenge the machine shop operator at school to a game of smash, if i win i get to use it to refurbish thumbsticks. i like the odds.

i did wonder about that...i remember seeing (while setting up emulator controllers) that controllers with optical joysticks were better than ones with pots, which meant that n64 controller -> gamecube controller was a downgrade...(besides the fact that the gc is just way inferior anyways)

i like your viewmaster analogy, by the way.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
Yeah, it's the entire controller. The people that are replicating controllers should just replicate the sticks. Since they're just manufacturing one part of the controller, they can focus more and it should result in higher quality. Not to mention it's cheaper to make just a single part.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
well, the ****ty cnc machine in my basement might work. if it doesn't, i can always challenge the machine shop operator at school to a game of smash, if i win i get to use it to refurbish thumbsticks. i like the odds.

i did wonder about that...i remember seeing (while setting up emulator controllers) that controllers with optical joysticks were better than ones with pots, which meant that n64 controller -> gamecube controller was a downgrade...(besides the fact that the gc is just way inferior anyways)

i like your viewmaster analogy, by the way.
I say go for it with the CNC machine, if you can! How does that work, can you scan in the parts you need to recreate? I was thinking of doing that as well, but again, I don't have the stuff. Perhaps my university can help... but then there's always the problem of getting the right measurements. Anything I measure would be worn away, so I'd need to do some estimating/trial and error to see what the ideal depth for the bowl is.

The main grey stick part also wears a tiny bit, but you could get away without replacing it. The main problem is that the bottom of the stick gets rough (which attributes to the bowl wearing away), and that is what leads to the scratchy feeling you sometimes get with a controller (just doesn't feel smooth. Stick may be tight, but it doesn't feel good).

Ideally, we should replace them all! Any thoughts to using metal or a different material for the bowl? So many possibilities if we could just get the dimensions. I wonder if Nintendo would give them out...

What's wrong with n64 stick replicas? I would order those if my controllers stopped working to a certain efficiency.
They just don't feel nice. They're very sensitive and are stiff. The motion from neutral to a direction feels like it has to overcome a lip, i.e. it moves a little, the resistance cranks up, the stick "pops" (because of the force required to overcome this part) and then continues the rest of the way. That's why it feels so sensitive; you're always jerking your stick around ( ;) ). The stick-feel is NOT consistent at every position.

Side to side is bad, but not terrible, but up and down is especially bad, making tilts in those directions taps, unless you have superb control (that you shouldn't need).

Yeah, it's the entire controller. The people that are replicating controllers should just replicate the sticks. Since they're just manufacturing one part of the controller, they can focus more and it should result in higher quality. Not to mention it's cheaper to make just a single part.
These replicas use different technology from OEM controllers, so the new sticks would not be compatible unless there was a chip to convert the signals, and that gets messy because people don't know how to program efficiently. Hell, there already are 3rd party sticks, and they blow.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
I know but if the rights to the N64 controller are expired, can't they just simply tap into the programming of the chip and replicate it? I dunno, maybe I'm making it out to be easier than it really is.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
I know but if the rights to the N64 controller are expired, can't they just simply tap into the programming of the chip and replicate it? I dunno, maybe I'm making it out to be easier than it really is.
Well, the hardware is different in OEM controllers, so there's no chips to be replicated, only new chips to be created from scratch. My bet is that whoever's replicating them doesn't exactly have any sort of expertise in programming anything.

All new controllers use potentiometers, whereas OEM N64 controllers used photodiodes, which are more expensive (so aren't used).

I guess the N64 was one of the forerunners of modern joysticks, back in the days of optical ball mice (same technology). Ball mice are obsolete, replaced with newer technology, and controllers have evolved as such. Unfortunately, to be cheaper, not better (not that you can really tell the difference).

Point is, for the best experience in replacement sticks, manufacturers would have to use old, outdated, and more expensive technology. Can you guess how willing they are to do that?

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
Dang, I see. Well, looks like there's no hope in good 64 controllers unless you get a Hori Minipad.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
It's interesting, though, because blaze programmed his own chip to do exactly what I presume 3rd party stick makers are doing, and it works great (supposedly)!

So the problem here isn't a limitation of technology, but rather shoddy execution of cheap technology.

There just ins't enough of a market for this stuff for some bigtime company to take on a project like this.

Banana Jack

Smash Cadet
I say go for it with the CNC machine, if you can! How does that work, can you scan in the parts you need to recreate? I was thinking of doing that as well, but again, I don't have the stuff. Perhaps my university can help... but then there's always the problem of getting the right measurements. Anything I measure would be worn away, so I'd need to do some estimating/trial and error to see what the ideal depth for the bowl is.

The main grey stick part also wears a tiny bit, but you could get away without replacing it. The main problem is that the bottom of the stick gets rough (which attributes to the bowl wearing away), and that is what leads to the scratchy feeling you sometimes get with a controller (just doesn't feel smooth. Stick may be tight, but it doesn't feel good).

Ideally, we should replace them all! Any thoughts to using metal or a different material for the bowl? So many possibilities if we could just get the dimensions. I wonder if Nintendo would give them out...
if i had access to a 3d scanner, i would totally use that, but i don't...so i would probably just measure the dimensions and figure out what i'm doing wrong by trial and error. alTHOUGH...i really should check on that guy and see if his homemade 3d scanner ever worked out...
my brother stockpiled some almost new thumbsticks from an ebay auction a while ago i could steal and get measurements from parts that have negligible wear. if i tell him i'm solving the thumbstick problem forever he won't mind. (problem is, i already claimed one to check out the guts and when i put it back together, now it acts weird when i try to use it...it'll be fine for maybe 30 seconds, then get stuck moving hard left. this is the main reason i have doubts for my plan.)

i know the scratchy feeling...i didn't realize the bowl played any part though, it looked like the wear was mostly on the black pieces (attached to the quarter-gears) and the reason they deteriorate was the gray stick moving inside the black piece without touching it (sloppy fit, should be a tight fit) that was my diagnosis, but i'll have to check it out in more detail.

i considered that...well, still am. but i'm not sure if i should be going for harder materials so they wear less, or just more slippery materials like brass or delrin to reduce friction. i like the second idea. but i think i might try both.

edit: i didn't really know the best way to word it or even what section to put it under...but it only took me a minute, so i went ahead and emailed nintendo about the thumbstick specs. we'll see how that goes.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
if i had access to a 3d scanner, i would totally use that, but i don't...so i would probably just measure the dimensions and figure out what i'm doing wrong by trial and error. alTHOUGH...i really should check on that guy and see if his homemade 3d scanner ever worked out...
my brother stockpiled some almost new thumbsticks from an ebay auction a while ago i could steal and get measurements from parts that have negligible wear. if i tell him i'm solving the thumbstick problem forever he won't mind. (problem is, i already claimed one to check out the guts and when i put it back together, now it acts weird when i try to use it...it'll be fine for maybe 30 seconds, then get stuck moving hard left. this is the main reason i have doubts for my plan.)

i know the scratchy feeling...i didn't realize the bowl played any part though, it looked like the wear was mostly on the black pieces (attached to the quarter-gears) and the reason they deteriorate was the gray stick moving inside the black piece without touching it (sloppy fit, should be a tight fit) that was my diagnosis, but i'll have to check it out in more detail.

i considered that...well, still am. but i'm not sure if i should be going for harder materials so they wear less, or just more slippery materials like brass or delrin to reduce friction. i like the second idea. but i think i might try both.

edit: i didn't really know the best way to word it or even what section to put it under...but it only took me a minute, so i went ahead and emailed nintendo about the thumbstick specs. we'll see how that goes.
I took one look at the bowl part and realized that there was no way I could measure accurately, especially considering all I have is a crappy analog caliper. It has to be precise to the tenth of a millimeter (perhaps more), since the optical viewmaster wheels have to be fitted on, and I can't imagine much tolerance for that.

Not sure exactly what you did wrong with that one thumbstick... maybe take it apart and try again? I've done that numerous times without a hitch.

And you know all that white powder that starts forming at the base of the stick? Ever take apart a well-used stick? You're practically swimming in the remnants of what once made your joystick nice and tight. And since no other part is white, it has to be the bowl. However, I hadn't thought of the black things, but I haven't noticed much difference between those parts on new and old sticks. You do raise a good point, though, and I'm very sure it's a combination of things within the stick mechanism that causes looseness.

The problem of looseness exists because the very center of the bowl loses its surface, meaning the grey stick loses contact with the bowl and so falls until it regains contact away from the center, resulting in the stick flopping over in the neutral position. It only gets worse, as the central problem area's radius expands until there's nothing left for the stick to rest on. This, and perhaps the widening of the two black pieces just spells trouble through and through.

I sprayed my controllers with silicone, so hopefully that'll slow down the wear a bit, but we need a more permanent solution...

Slippery metals would be fantastic. They shouldn't be terribly heavy, and I really wouldn't mind a few extra ounces in my controller.

Be sure to keep us updated if anything comes out of the Nintendo email or 3-D scanning! I'll email Nintendo as well, and maybe they'll realize there's a non-commercial, harmless, and personal interest in these things. Someone once said the N64 documentation was released, but I never found it. It's not like they'll be losing any money by giving out the specs anyway. I hope they realize this technology is obsolete and nobody in their right mind would even think of using it for profit when there are much more cost-efficient (and longer lasting) options out there.

Dingus

Smash Cadet
I sprayed my controllers with silicone, so hopefully that'll slow down the wear a bit, but we need a more permanent solution...
I was going to do this as well, but I dont know anything about silicone grease. Should I get a spray or the lube stuff? How much should a tube of this **** cost and do you have a recommended brand?

Also, how often do you need to respray/relube?

Thanks

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
I was going to do this as well, but I dont know anything about silicone grease. Should I get a spray or the lube stuff? How much should a tube of this **** cost and do you have a recommended brand?

Also, how often do you need to respray/relube?

Thanks
I can't really tell you too much about it, as I just found a can in my basement and let 'er rip. It was the spray, which I think would be better, as it leaves a more uniform layer, but lube might last a little longer. I really don't know.

Any brand should work, or you can use some WD-40. I was really just looking for something -anything- that would impede the wear. Price shouldn't go above $5-10, depending on where you get it.

Don't know how often you'll need to re-apply. I won't be able to apply some for a while since I'm at school, but every few weeks sounds like a reasonable estimate. Probably don't even need to do it that often. Again, can't really tell ya as I don't know.

Banana Jack

Smash Cadet
I took one look at the bowl part and realized that there was no way I could measure accurately, especially considering all I have is a crappy analog caliper. It has to be precise to the tenth of a millimeter (perhaps more), since the optical viewmaster wheels have to be fitted on, and I can't imagine much tolerance for that.
i can get accurate measurements, but i just don't know how i would go about measuring some of the parts...like the bowl...i'll have to take a look at it this weekend. and then there's always trial and error...first try won't be perfect no matter what.
Not sure exactly what you did wrong with that one thumbstick... maybe take it apart and try again? I've done that numerous times without a hitch.
huh. that's odd. gives me hope though...i'm pretty sure i have taken it apart again, i thought i may have put it back together with the optical wheel a little off center or something (which is an odd problem to have but it was the only thing i could think of...even though my main thought was "it's got to be so much easier and simpler and better to have it reset position whenever it receives power" so what i do with in unplugged should affect NOTHING)
but if i claim another one of those fresh sticks to take apart my brother might get annoyed. i should use one of the old ones, i'm pretty sure i've stockpiled them somewhere for one day hopes of doing this...
And you know all that white powder that starts forming at the base of the stick? Ever take apart a well-used stick? You're practically swimming in the remnants of what once made your joystick nice and tight. And since no other part is white, it has to be the bowl. However, I hadn't thought of the black things, but I haven't noticed much difference between those parts on new and old sticks. You do raise a good point, though, and I'm very sure it's a combination of things within the stick mechanism that causes looseness.
yep. ..................................................you are so right. wow. and honestly, ...well the stick part is also made out of the same material as the bowl, but the black parts are different material and won't rub off in dust form or turn gritty...
The problem of looseness exists because the very center of the bowl loses its surface, meaning the grey stick loses contact with the bowl and so falls until it regains contact away from the center, resulting in the stick flopping over in the neutral position. It only gets worse, as the central problem area's radius expands until there's nothing left for the stick to rest on. This, and perhaps the widening of the two black pieces just spells trouble through and through.
realllly...hm. i'll definitely have to check out some of these bowls.

Be sure to keep us updated if anything comes out of the Nintendo email or 3-D scanning! I'll email Nintendo as well, and maybe they'll realize there's a non-commercial, harmless, and personal interest in these things. Someone once said the N64 documentation was released, but I never found it. It's not like they'll be losing any money by giving out the specs anyway. I hope they realize this technology is obsolete and nobody in their right mind would even think of using it for profit when there are much more cost-efficient (and longer lasting) options out there.
exactly...if i was nintendo, i might have a problem with distributing it UP UNTIL the point when i myself stop producing them...which they definitely have. but maybe that's just me because i'm a hardcore diy'er and support all other diy projects wholeheartedly. and i was gonna say, the thing that worries me is they might not even have it anymore, they wouldn't ever use it for anything... but either way:

"Thanks for contacting Nintendo of America! I'm sorry to hear that your Nintendo 64 Controller is not longer functioning correctly. While I can appreciate your request for diagrams and measurements for you to use in an attempt to restore this accessory, we are unable to provide any internal components or specifications for our systems or accessories. Please understand that our experience has demonstrated that repairs attempted by anyone other than a Nintendo-trained technician at best may not solve the problem and at worst may cause further damage. For this reason, we do not have the information you're looking for. I realize this may be disappointing, but we appreciate your understanding."

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
exactly...if i was nintendo, i might have a problem with distributing it UP UNTIL the point when i myself stop producing them...which they definitely have. but maybe that's just me because i'm a hardcore diy'er and support all other diy projects wholeheartedly. and i was gonna say, the thing that worries me is they might not even have it anymore, they wouldn't ever use it for anything... but either way:

"Thanks for contacting Nintendo of America! I'm sorry to hear that your Nintendo 64 Controller is not longer functioning correctly. While I can appreciate your request for diagrams and measurements for you to use in an attempt to restore this accessory, we are unable to provide any internal components or specifications for our systems or accessories. Please understand that our experience has demonstrated that repairs attempted by anyone other than a Nintendo-trained technician at best may not solve the problem and at worst may cause further damage. For this reason, we do not have the information you're looking for. I realize this may be disappointing, but we appreciate your understanding."
Oh man, that's infuriating. Their reasoning for not turning over the specs is because, even with them, they are absolutely, positively sure that we will not be able to fix the stick? How can they be so sure?

That's total horse****. I bought Nintendo's products way back then, and now I own them. They are my property. What I do with them is MY business. If I fix it, good for me. If I horribly mutilate my own property, then so be it. What do they care? They have no right to care!

Now, I understand that the real reason is that they just don't want to give out their design specs, which is completely understandable, but I would have much more respect for Nintendo if they just straight up said that. Instead, they chose the condescending route and basically told us that we don't have the knowledge or expertise to actually do anything with the specs.

maybe i'm just mad

yeah, i mad

Elzevir

Smash Cadet
I have 2 of the joysticks made in Taiwan. The only issue is dashing and smash attacks. For smash attacks you need to press the A button slightly after the direction.

For a fox jab to dash usmash I do a quarter circle with the joystick so forward and upwards then press the A button. Dashing requires a different timing but after a couple months playing with the new stick I am getting used to it.

I heard the Tomee pads are good as well.

Very bad reviews for the TTX Tech replicas though.

Battlecow

Play to Win
maybe i'm just mad

yeah, i mad
It's a giant corporation. Of course they're cold and unfriendly. Corporate policy isn't tailored towards super-technical or super-obsessed, it's tailored (understandably) towards nine-year-olds who have trouble plugging in the AV cables in the right spots (been there).

And being truthful towards you isn't a priority either, because they're not gaining or losing anything by getting your approval or the approval of people like you.

tl;dr don't expect corporations to be "nice." Expect them to be efficient, and get mad when they're not (which is often, sadly).

stylisland

Smash Apprentice
Very bad reviews for the TTX Tech replicas though.

I can tell you from experience that no one should buy this controller. Right out of the box the stick malfunctions. I had one where if you press down you'd jump. So I went and returned it and got a new one, and that one had a completely different stick error where it would get stuck to the right. Had to go back to my busted controller.

Top Bottom