• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Working backwards - why it can be logical

SuSa

Banned via Administration
So I took a shower this morning wondering about working backwards. What are the harms and benefits of it?

(The TL;DR is a lot more straightforward so I put my real post in collapse tags.)

Well first off, you have to look at what it implies. It can apply one of two things depending on your outlook

1) Okay, maybe this stage wasn't so gay after all and I jumped the gun.

OR (and this is where it's important!!!)

2) The stage is competitively bad, but we don't care as a whole.

Why is #2 so important?

Player's can agree to play on a banned stage if both players agree to it. Why not stretch this a tiny bit? Because the majority (67%) agrees they are willing to play on it, it is implied everyone is okay with it.

When you're stage list is as objective as possible, and removes all stages deemed non-competitive for logical reasons. Banning them makes NO SENSE! All of those stages are 100% legitimate and should not be banned. However, if you take a look at my list in my other thread, you'll see Halberd is banned.

Halberd, to many, isn't deemed non-competitive (it is, but that's another matter) - therefore what is the problem with saying:

"We know Halberd is uncompetitive, and we do not care. We are willing to lose a match due to an amount of luck that we deem "not too much""

They are admitting, that they don't care if it's not competitive. They are agreeing to play there anyways.

The only problem is the minority? Correct.

The majority is always right, the minority is always wrong. That is simply what it comes down to for subjective views. If you are a part of the minority - convince members of the majority to switch to your side until you become the majority.

I hope you're still reading and haven't ridden off the top as "Dude, that makes no sense". KEEP READING!

The majority is also known for correcting mistakes. They may say "Halberd is totally legit. to play on, therefore we agree to play on it." and sometime later... they find out, they were wrong. Halberd is an uncompetitive stage.

So the members of the majority change their mind and decide to no longer agree to play on it.

You may be asking: "Well then why can't they ban stages?"

These stages are shown, with logic, that they are OK. Saying that they aren't is to challenge that logic. Can you prove it? If something is bad for competitive play, there is always something you can point to. If there isn't - it's NOT BAD FOR COMPETITIVE PLAY. You're just a scrub.

tl;dr
The problem arises when people ban for "that's too gay" and lower their competitive bar for no reason. They remove depth from the game - and make it easier to "master" the game. Keep in mind that this is banning from an extremely objective, competitive list such as the stage list I made (check my other thread) - this isn't legitimate.

However if players want to unban for "that's not gay enough" and still lower their competitive bar - it's to add depth to the game. That is there reason for unbanning the stage. They feel that that depth added from the stages raises the competitive bar more than it lowers it by adding the stages. This is a subjective view that is... actually legitimate!

EDIT: BPC asked me to add this over AIM

that as soon as you remove a stage for any reason beyond absolutely proven degeneracy (i.e. remove any stage from the list you placed there), your whole criteria falls apart
This is true because stages are only banned for being uncompetitive. There is NO OTHER REASON to ban them.

If you feel a stage is degenerate. Stop for a moment and do the following:

1) What is bad about this stage?
2) Is it because I cannot adapt to the stage - or is it another factor?
3) If the latter, what is this factor?
4) What is unique about this factor?
5) Is this factor degenerate to gameplay, overcentralizing, or is it just polar?
6) If degenerate - why?
6.5) If polar, it is not bannable.
7) If degenerate, it is bannable.

This is the process I used to come up with my competitive stagelist. This is why it's logically sound. When you point out something, I can point to a competitive and logical reason as to why I am right. It cannot be refuted - and that is why it works.

I realize this could be a totally stupid idea. :awesome: Tear it to shreds if you want.

SuSa

Isn't this kinda the point you've been saying for most of the threads you've been posting for a while?
Yes, but I'm getting somewhat tired of people saying subjectivity is ALWAYS bad. Honestly, it isn't. Once you get as OBJECTIVE as possible, and ADD THINGS BACK IN.

Because at that point, you are saying "While I know it is banned I am agreeing to use it because I feel that, while uncompetitive, it adds enough depth to the game to be warranted playable. Not competitive, but playable."

Try to do the reverse to ban a stage... its simply uncompetitive and NOTHING MORE. You can't even argue it's adding depth to the game, as you're REMOVING depth from the game. You are adding NOTHING by doing so.

The first at least balances out on a reasonable level, and in the end, it only effects the minority. Which is kind of how most things are ran, but I'm showing why it's NOT a double-edged sword and that the majority should NOT be able to BAN things that they want. Because quite frankly, at that point, the majority is WRONG.

If something is uncompetitive, it's VERY EASY to point at logic and criteria and to say "This is why." Which is what I have done.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
It's fine if your doing that, but I kinda feel like you could condense all of these threads into one giant topic about the issues in our ruleset at hand.

It feels really messy with all the topics being made about the issue, or maybe that's just me.

SuSa

More people may want to read up on one issue rather than a 5 page essay covering multiple points where they may read the first point, and remember it improperly when they respond.

Threads are for organization purposes based on topic. While these are related to our current rule system, each covers a vastly different topic IMO.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Adding things because of subjectivity == good.

Removing things because of subjectivity == bad.

The reason for this is because adding things is a personal decision; you may agree to play on a banned stage, but that decision doesn't affect any other players in the bracket (directly), save for your opponent, who has also agreed.

However, banning something is a ruleset-wide change, meaning that it is enforced on EVERYONE. Forcing people who don't agree to do something for anything other than an objective reason is bad, and always will be.

That's why this thread is correct. That being said, ruleset-wide subjective additions are bad, because they contradict the ruleset's own criteria, rendering the entire ruleset void.

SuSa

I agree it does ruin the objective ruleset.

But I'm a man of realistic change.... <_< while not "100% total awesome-sauce objective" it's far closer to standard than the current mess we have....

SuSa

A ruleset backed by logic that is only added upon by what the majority feels they can tolerate.

If a stage is banned, and the majority votes it in, and it ends up being gay. It's not the ruleset that is at fault - the ruleset already banned it. It's the majority.

So the majority, changes their mind. Rebans the stage.

Simple process. The majority admits they may be wrong before making the change.

Removing things has no basis. It's proven to be competitive, and you're lowering the competitive value. It's against everything - and having it "be okay" to do so is largely what's tearing our community apart... but it goes beyond that.

Too much of our ruleset is currently subjective. The split between starters and counterpicks (when this shouldn't even exist!), the 3 levels within counterpicks themselves!, and other issues.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'll say this.

Susa and co. have change how I have viewed banning stages a bit. There are some stages which i agree are at enough of a grey area that i cannot objectively say a stage is bannable or not.

While I tend to favor a stage list that goes as far as tier 2, - norfair, I agree I most likely haven't given some stages the well deserved look on tier 3 and it is worth a second look.

I may test some like PTAD and find them unfit and find some like jungle japes which might not be as bad as some have put it as.

I think the correct way to test stages is to try them out as a side tournament or a samller one where it is easier to see what happens on that stages.

I've been worried about what could happen at a national level if we allow somw stage that we later find to be degenerate. It can ruin games simular to how I've seen Norfair affect MLG on their stage list.

I like to say prevention is better than a cure, but we really should try out some stages that are in the grey to see if they are too far. Yet at the same time I'm worried about about what could happen if we were wrong.

Top Bottom