• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Triforce of Courage: Link's Match-Up Thread!

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Link's Match-Up Thread

This thread is used to discuss the match-ups regarding Link from Super Smash Bros. Brawl. As Link mains/Secondaries we will be talking about what to do in each match-up, which stages are appropriate for each characters, and a final ratio to give an estimation on how good or bad Link does against each of the characters.

Previous Match-Up Ratios

Link to the old MU discussion: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=231077

Exports:
*None* :(

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I was messing around with a couple of themes and such and settled for this one. I could add more art stuff, but I don't want to go too far with it.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Its a nice pic. But i have to wonder why Link is holding his sword backhanded or w/e.

Also is this like a re-discussion thread?

Rizen

Smash Legend
Good looking thread.

A few changes off the top of my head:
Snake 6/4
Marth, Wario, ICs, DK worse ratio.
Sheik, ROB, better ratio.
Lucas, Jiggly, slightly worse.
Zelda, TLink, slightly better.
I'm just throwing my opinion out before we get started.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Its a nice pic. But i have to wonder why Link is holding his sword backhanded or w/e.

Also is this like a re-discussion thread?
Well, several of the discussions are old so we're redoing them, but not all of them. Zelda is about even, Snake is not almost neutral thanks to him just dealing so much more damage (although take away that and I think Link would keep pace very well), ROB is not longer threat level: Ostrich, etc. etc.

And Link is holding his sword backwards to make him look like a big bad mofo. He needs something to make him look cool with all those depressing MU ratios, haha.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Helll yeah. I think we should have a set criteria for discussion. Here's some I came up with.

Stage talk is an important one that I can think of that not much people get into.
Getting videos of this match up is a must.
What X character can do to Link
Frame data if you want to get into that complex stuff

BTW is this thread going to be run the same way like last time? So the talking of match-ups go in here instead of exports?

IYM!

Smash Lord
Only insure yourself Red Ryu of not filling the Link boards with so many exports, we will not be interested in speaking of characters that we do not know or we do not like them and it will give like proved dead and empty topics.

I believe that the exports are not bad ideas, but I believe that it is better than them organize.

For example, it creates approximately two or three export periodically. As 3 weeks, and the fourth one (to complete the month) concludes the radius of the controversial prominent figures and there is updated the Link MU threat

i said this before, because i watched the Samus boards and... well the idea wasnt a good solution for organization.

Please Red Ryo follow my council if you want make exports :)

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
It shouldn't be too bad in terms of cluttering the board, IYM!. The exports eventually will disappear from the main page but will still be there to be linked to; they just won't be able to be seen. And I don't think we're going to be doing too many exports at one time.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
At the very least I'd say unsticky it and sticky this one.

We could lock it so people don't post in it in the future thinking it's a discussion thread.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Alright done can you put a link to the old matchup thread in this thread just so people have another resource to look at if their in need of matchup help.

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
maybe samus, or pikachu, falcon is a good option too

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
If we do Zelda, I recommend doing Sheik/Zelda together, since Sheik mains seem to switch to her or Zelda mains will go to Sheik in some situations.

Or they stay solo, it varies on the players, just my thought about it though.

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
^ well that is something to care about, but it's too random to know if we are going to play against a zelda, sheik, or zelda/sheik, so in order to see them, we need to care about those three sides, it can be a good option but it would be rather long to discuss.
In my opinion, snake is ok with the current MU.

also the MU chart must be updated with the new rob MU

Fuujin

Smash Champion
^ well that is something to care about, but it's too random to know if we are going to play against a zelda, sheik, or zelda/sheik, so in order to see them, we need to care about those three sides, it can be a good option but it would be rather long to discuss.
In my opinion, snake is ok with the current MU.

also the MU chart must be updated with the new rob MU
Hardly anyone uses Zelda and Sheik together.
Unless they bring Zelda out as a kill move.
Anyways I play Legan Tuesdays and sometimes he uses Link.
I dunno how you guys got 40-60....

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Anyways I play Legan Tuesdays and sometimes he uses Link.
I dunno how you guys got 40-60....
Well to me I want to cover both, the characters while being separate still are very connected. The playstyle can verymuch differ from person to person. So we could cover both together or seperate, either way I think they are too connected to not be talked about so maybe back to back discussions.

I'll leave that opinion to everyone else to decide.

spurtz

Smash Rookie
Hey, I'm having trouble beating Kirby!!! Isn't it suppose to be easy because link outrange kirby? but why is it difficult?

Rizen

Smash Legend
I've seen several people switch but it was wifi so ehh.
Hey, I'm having trouble beating Kirby!!! Isn't it suppose to be easy because link outrange kirby? but why is it difficult?
Kirby is a killer MU for Link, 35/65 or 70/30 Kirby's favor. Every Link has trouble with him. There's a write up somewhere...

spurtz

Smash Rookie
Kirby is slow, but he tries getting close and destroying my spacing and punishing my lags if I fsmash. if I attack using projectiles he would fly up high and try to get behind me.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^ Here's an old Kirby MU discussion:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=8791488#post8791488

The best tactic I've found for small stages like battlefield is hop/jump from platform to platform dropping/throwing down bombs until Kirby's hit and try to combo into Nair or Dair. Mix in other projectiles and air attacks/Zair if necessary for spacing. Double jump bomb pull and invincibomb only if you need to. Retreat and spam until you get an opening.
-------------
We're discussing Zelda/Sheik now?

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
^ Ryu said that is up to us to decide, and I've already said try it, so we are waiting for the others

spurtz

Smash Rookie
^ Here's an old Kirby MU discussion:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthrea...88#post8791488

The best tactic I've found for small stages like battlefield is hop/jump from platform to platform dropping/throwing down bombs until Kirby's hit and try to combo into Nair or Dair. Mix in other projectiles and air attacks/Zair if necessary for spacing. Double jump bomb pull and invincibomb only if you need to. Retreat and spam until you get an opening.
Thanks. I got more fighting chance now, but he is still good.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Here is my opinion (i know im gonna get criticized for this)

:metaknight: 30:70
:snake: 50:50
:diddy: 45:55
:falco: 30:70
:wario: 40:60
:marth: 45:55
:popo: 45:55
:olimar: 40:60
:pikachu2: 42.58
:dedede: 40:60 (Link can space from him easily)
:gw: 45:55
:lucario: 45:55
:zerosuitsamus: 40:60
:toonlink: 47.53
:kirby2: 35:65
:fox: 30:70
:rob: 40:60
:pit: 40:60
:peach: 45:55/50:50
:dk2: 45:55/50:50
:luigi2: 45:55
:wolf: 40:60
:sonic: 50:50
:ike: 45:55
:pt: 45:55 :squirtle: 40:60 :charizard: 60:40 :ivysaur: 60:40
:ness2: 50:50
:yoshi2: 45:55
:lucas: 55:45
:mario2: 40:60
:bowser2: 55:45
:falcon: 52.48/50:50
:samus2: 55:45
:jigglypuff: 52.48
:zelda: 50:50
:ganondorf: 65:35

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Hmm, I do agree that Falco and MK are awful. I might even go as far as to say 75-25 or worse although it's hard to distinguish (and honestly, kinda pointless to try) between the regular ol' 70-30 Link gets ***** and the 75-25 or 80-20 Link gets super *****; the point is just they're nigh-unwinnable matchups.

I don't think Snake's even because he's so much stronger than Link. He can keep up with Snake move for move if you ignore the fact that Snake's moves do like twice as much damage. I'd put him at maybe 40-60.

Diddy's just too fast for Link to keep up with. Link has ways of dealing with him more than he does other top tier characters though. I think it's in the 35-65 or 40-60 range. Definitely Diddy's favor but Link can win.

Wario is 40-60, MAAAAYBE 45-55 if you're being really gracious, in my opinion. Personally I think Wario and Marth are Link's best top tier MUs.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
His best top tier match-ups are tied between Marth and Snake imo, that's because Link just happens to have traits that are good for facing both.

Top Bottom