• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest Challenge! South Bend, IN, August 9th (Snex approved!)

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
KISH TOURNEY I
MIDWEST CHALLENGE

Inviting anyone (even if not from the Midwest) willing to drive to glorious South Bend, Indiana for a tournament the likes of which have never been seen! The tournament will be held August 9th at Trinity Church in the auditorium/gym. The plan for right now is to open up the gym at NOON for everyone, and start the team tourney at 1:15. Ending time is planned for 10 PM.

Address:
Trinity Church
61770 Miami Road
South Bend, IN 46614
The number to call on Saturday if you get lost or are late is (574)274-5122

Entry Fees:
$5 for singles
$10 per team (5 for each person)

Prizes:
Pot for both will be 60%/30%/10%
1v1 winner will receive $20 from V if he doesn't win
Out-of-state bonus of $15

Rules (a snexus/TG hybrid):
Double Elimination Randomly Seeded for teams
Depending on turnout, there may be a small round-robin entry/seeding round prior to the 1v1 tourney
Best of 3
4 stock, 7 minute limit (depending on turnout, subject to change)
Items on LOW, no hearts, tomatoes, stars, cloaking devices, or mushrooms
Damage Ratio 1.0
Hyrule Temple and Yoshi's Island 64 are banned
Snexus Slob Picks (Each person knocks out one stage for first round, Loser may switch either stage or character)
Team Attack ON
Life Stealing Allowed

Bracket Setup:
Teammates will be on opposite sides of the singles bracket.
States will be separated as much as possible for the initial winner's bracket setup.
Entry location into the loser's bracket will be randomly determined UNLESS if in the first two rounds, if two people that have already fought are placed together, the enterer will be randomly switched with someone else entering in that round.

We already have 4-5 GCs taken care of, but the more that you all can bring, the more friendlies we can get in. Let us know if TVs are a problem as well, as we may be able to supply one if for some reason you can bring a GC but not a TV. Obviously, alcohol will not be permitted on church grounds, but judging from the tourneys I've been to this won't be a problem!

If time permits, a crew tourney will be held, no entry fee, just for pride and a possible prize if we get around to thinking of one. Rules are below, but they explain better in person than online...
Crew tourney rules: Scamp got us thinking when he started asking about running the Kish gauntlet. A crew can be between 2-6 people. Register your crew upon arrival with a crew name. The total number of wins for each crew will be recorded throughout the day (team wins count double) and the crews will be seeded by wins into a single-elimination bracket. The sequence of each match:
1. Both crews will submit their player order secretly.
2. The #1 players (in order, not quality) will fight first.
3. Each member of a crew is eliminated after two losses. Losses carry over from fight to fight.
4. As players are eliminated, the next player sequentially takes his place.
5. Each team may swap the current player with one of their remaining players ONCE per crew match. This swap may be used before any match, and the other team may not respond to it until the next match.
6. A crew wins when all the opposing crew's members are eliminated.

So...you don't have to understand it yet, but it's an idea. Discuss. Anyway, even if we don't have a tournament, we'd be willing to take on any challengers in this style of fight. We hope to see representation from every midwest state, and might possibly have some more challengers from outside the region! So start making plans now! You can IM me (silverhk11), KishSquared, or KishCubed with any questions!

Signup List (* means bringing GC, X means confirmed for Saturday)
1. X-KishPrime*
2. X-KishSquared*
3. X-KishCubed*
4. X-Joshu*
5. X-Ignatius*
6. X-Snex*
7. younghark
8. younghark's friend Henry
9. X-x1372
10. X-V*
11. X-LazyNova*
12. X-Barogrei
13. OneWingedAngel
14. X-Keefer_Blunt
15. X-The Siege (+crew?)
16. X-Alex (Kish friend)
17. MarthMasterDan (+crew?, and hopefully!)
18. X-Eddie
19-22. (Depending on rides) PimpLuigi, Fusegen, Smog, Nmindi
23-26. X-4 Gamefaqqers from Columbus, IN
27. X-pacn99*
28. X-pacn99's friend
29-?. Brahma (+4-5 people)
?. Some locals (2 confirmed, maybe more)
People Needing Partners Right Now
Barogrei

LazyNova

Smash Journeyman
Well... I'd like to attend. Don't know if I will though. I think that's the weekend when I move back into my other room... and making sure I get the couch back from the people I'm storing it with this summer is more important to me than any amount of smashing.

But anyways I'd like to come, and I'll try.

Darn summer. All these good smash tourneys. I only want to go to tourneys like every 2 or 3 months. (Other than the Ohio tourney, I haven't played at all since Snexus) But summer comes along and suddenly everyone's gotta have their tournaments. So anyways, even if I end up not making this one, there's still a good chance I'll make Kish Tourney 2. (who wants to spend thanksgiving with their familys anyways?)

oh, and cool idea about the crew thingy. So what's the limit on number of people in a crew? Do larger teams automatically get the advantage of extra losses allowed, or could you maybe have a set number of losses per team and have them split based on how many people are on a crew? I guess if you did something like that then a crew of just 1 really good person would do too well... But if you set a minimum of like 3 and set a maximum of like 6... You'd probably want to set some sort of limitation about how a crew has to play together somewhat regularly so people don't just put together some sort of dream team. (although it isn't for money) Let's see... 3-6 people could have... 12 losses, so 3 people get 4 each, 4 people get 3 each, 6 people get 2 each, and 5 people get 2 each but the last 2 people get 3. Anyways, just some thoughts, do whatever you'd like.

x1372

Smash Ace
well, IF V and/or lazynova are going and can give me a ride, count me in... and what time would this be expected to end? enough for us from cleveland to be able to drive home that night? if so, I'm guessing we'd be more likely to be able to attend, because paying for the hotel room was rather expensive at snexus...

I'm considering offering a 5 dollar bet for anyone who plays sheik
best of 5 against my peach, no items, stock 4, 7 minute, stages final D, dream land, fourside, pokemon stadium, and jungle japes, in that order. Offer rescinded if I drag myself 20 dollars in the hole with this, but since I've never truly been dominated by a shiek...

well, it's possible. can't totally commit to it, just like I can't totally commit to my even being there. oh, and I'm not having the first one against recipherous.

well, hope there's a good turnout, whether or not I can be there.

KishCubed

Smash Apprentice
Ill take that bet!

Ill take that bet! Ill beat you down with a shiek and stuff and win money! Come to Indiana and see me beat you down for money for me!

KishSquared

Smash Master
All right! I've been waiting for this opportunity for a long long time!! Get your smash games ready!

Anywho, to answer your question, we're going to make every effort to be done around 10:00. We need to find out what time we'll be kicked out of the church, so that may change. We're going to try to hold the tourney so that there's time for friendlies before and after the tournament.

Also, I hope this crew tournament works out. I want this to ignite some crew pride, so that we all have something to brag about other than who our strongest player is. So sign up, everyone!

Joshu

BRoomer
BRoomer
No hammers? You crybabies...I thought if anything you woulda said no food...boohoo! Put em back on!
And how can we do a crew tourney thing or whatever when THERE IS NO IGNATIUS!?!?!?!
That's right, our dad wants to take Iggy and my sister on some wacky trip sightseeing around Indiana (it's possible?) for AN ENTIRE WEEK!! Sure, Ignatius could decline, but then he goes to FLORIDA TO VISIT A FRIEND!!!
Either way, this tourney will be Ignatiusless...which I hope doesn't turn too many people off...at least the people that haven't been turned off by the stupid no hammer rule...:crazy:
Although...I'll be there, sure thing....so yeah....FIGHT ME!
And Kazuki better be comin! We went to his!!!

Chris_The_Girl

Smash Rookie
Team attack?

Why do you have team attack on? It is basically a free-for-all with alliences. Team attack defeats the basic purpose of being on a team. Team matches should be won on a basis of how well you work together, not how well you can avoid killing each other.

IMO, team attack should be turned off for all competitive play, mostly for the reason that it messes up alot of good team combos.

Fusegen

Smash Cadet
those "good team combos" are the main reason team attack is on.

it'd be too easy to spam a character's strongest move without consequence of it hitting your teammate (link's up-b)

Keefer_Blunt

Smash Apprentice
Kishes, you can prolly count on Keefer_Blunt to make an appearance to South Bend. Hopefully this time the Ohio guys can back up all the **** im going to talk for the next couple of weeks. This means you Pimp and Fuse! I hopefully can bring one of my little brothers as a partner for the team tourny.

As for you x3423 aka bob, ill take your silly challenge becuase I know how to beat you and I also figured out how not to kill myself after coming back to nearly kill you.

Any columbus guys have room in their car if my lil bro wont show his face with me?

KishPrime

BRoomer
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

No Ignatius? How can we be a ship of fools without a ship? Grrrr...well, anyway. As far as hammers go, I thought that was standard TG, but I will check on that. Team attack on has been proven to require much more skill than with it off. Timing your attacks so that they don't hit your partner while causing spectacular damage to the opponent requires greating timing and teamwork. Thus the better teams will often win. Plus it introduces a wealth of new strategies. And Fusegen is exactly right, it prevents a team of two Peaches doing nothing but standing on top of each other and downsmashing from winning it all. That's not teamwork, any set of randomly paired fools can do that! Now it's impressive when one Peach's downsmash sends the opponent into the other Peach's downsmash elsewhere, something I have seen done...

Edit: You were right, Joshu, sorry about that, hammers back on. I was just trying to take standard TG items.

KishSquared

Smash Master
Yeah, hammers are on for TG, so we'll leave them on as well. Food is something to consider as well. Maybe we should just turn off party balls; that way individual food items will appear, but mass amounts won't. If you've ever played someone who opens a party ball full of food as you're flying into the distance, it's rather frustrating. They might as well have grabbed a tomato.

And Iggy, sorry man, we aimed for the 16th but there's a wedding there that day. Still, we had no idea you wouldn't be able to make it on the 9th. Don't worry, we'll defend Indiana's pride with all we've got!

jv3x3

Smash Champion
Hopefully I can make it. Right now its like 50/50. If I did would any good people need a partner for teams?

And u guys should take party balls off if you have food, thats what i always did for my item tourneys. Also, does snexs slob picks include an agreed upon first stage?

KishSquared

Smash Master
First pick is random, but if two players agree on a stage that's fine as well. The main difference between normal slobs and snex slobs is that the loser can pick EITHER a new character or select the next stage, not both.

jv3x3

Smash Champion
lol, yeah i know that... he stole that rule from my knob tournaments. Less, sbp came up with it first, im not sure. Either way im familar with that rule.

SmashBroPro

Smash Ace
The chicago crew has requested that the tournament be at a later date due to some cross-dressing plans they had made early (some kind of comic book convention).

Would it be possible to back it up a weekend?

younghark

Smash Cadet
hey

this is mike and my friend henry is thinkin about comin and i think yall are gonna b in trouble when you hit our ice climbers samus combo lmao

o by the way would any 1 b interested in comin to a missouri tourney or would that b 2 far out of the way let me know jpe@ce

KishSquared

Smash Master
I'm really sorry, Chicago crew, we aimed for the 16th, but, like I said before, there's a wedding that day (consequence of holding this in a church, I suppose). I guess your cosplaying will have to take precedence to this tourney, although we were anxious to take your crew on in the crew tourney. Hopefully most of you can still make it!

snex

Smash Master
which chicago guys will make it and which wont? i know DJ XXX is out, but what about eddie and eduardo? id like to join that crew if possible, and if they have an odd man thatd be good for a teammate for me.

LazyNova

Smash Journeyman
Well, I still don't know what exactly is up with the Cleveland crew. I checked out the distance, about 4.5 hours... still somewhat long, but doable. Umm... are you guys on central or eastern time? I looked up when I move back into my dorm for the fall, and it's the sunday right afterwords, so I'd need to drive back that night, not stay at a hotel or something. I still need to talk to the people who have my couch, see if I'll need to do something earlier to make sure I get it back, although that probably wouldn't have to occur on that saturday.

Sounds like V does want to go, so it looks like there will be 3 of us coming from Cleveland. I'm assuming V and I will be a team again (if he isn't too unhappy with me sucking) so x1372 will probably need a partner.

No one ever did answer my question about if having a larger crew is purely advantageous since each person gets 2 losses.

I can say if I make this tourney it'll probably be my last til at least October (sorry Supernova) other than maybe local stuff at school.

Oh, and if I can make it I'll bring a cube, but I probably won't bring a TV or power strip. (leaving my fridge unplugged for snexus 2 didn't work out so well)

Wuhubettur

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm, this is a no-go for me. I have a physics exam 8-10AM on the 9th (yes, a Saturday, insert profanity here). If it's at 1PM, I definitely can't go, but after waking up at 5:30AM I don't think I'll be ready to travel whatever 4 hrs straight from my exam anyway. So humph, the date worked very poorly for me; maybe next time. =\

Hmm, and what does that leave in the future? Xmas break may work, weather-permitting. The weekend after Thanksgiving would work as well. Prime, I'll just have to see if Marth lets me keep practicing Jiggs until then...

KishPrime

BRoomer
Hmmmm...well, Lazynova the lives thing is open to debate as far as I'm concerned. If we do that I'd have to say a minimum of 4 people in the crew. I'll post a list of people needing teams at the start of the thread.

SmashBroPro

Smash Ace
Odds are I won't be able to make it either as I wasn't able to get that day off from work.

As far as who will and won't make if from the Chicago crew I know DJ and I'm pretty sure Da Sheike are out, as far as Eddie and BigG I don't know.

Would the 3rd weekend of August work? Well if not I understand and either way here's hoping this tournament will be one for the books.

snex

Smash Master
i sure hope some of the east coasters can make it, so we can prove once and for all that smash skills are indeed directly proportional to longitude.

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
lol... what a crazy character that snex is. No wonder they love him so much over on GameFAQs!!!

Anyways, I'm going to look into this tourny as a possibility. I'll be out the previous weekend for my brother's wedding (hence me missing TG5) but I might have to make another trip out there the following weekend to help some peeps move out to college out there.

Soooo... if I can swing it, I might bring a couple smashers with me, but this is a SERIOUS "maybe." Plans are still very much in the air. I suggest you guys don't plan on us and if I make it, I'll just be the special surprise for the weekend.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
on a positive note, I will now be going to this tournament. How would the Ship of Fools crew be able to fight without the ship, so I had to make sure I could come to this.

x1372

Smash Ace
mwa-ha-ha! nobody ever reads this!

well, I don't see any plans conflicting with this on the horizon, so I should be able to make it... and my bet still stands. prolly put it at 4 or 5 stock, 7 or 9 minutes despending on time and what we decide...

oh, and unless the last conversation I had is incorrect, both V and lazynova are prolly coming. shakir probably won't, as he even missed the ohio tourney. that means that I don't have a partner. I'd be hoping for someone who plays a good link, yoshi, or zelda/sheik... but I'll partner with just about anyone. it's just that yoshi/peach seems to work out extremely well, and I know link and sheik like the back of my hand...

anyway, add me to the "no partners" list. and do we have any real list of how many people are currently planning to come, or who? august 9th isn't too far away...

oh, and prepare for the revenge of the cwru crew! :grrr:

KishPrime

BRoomer
Alright! We're starting to see some solid Ohio representation! Where are Fusegen and Smog though? Snex, do you want to be partners for this thing if the number of Chi-towns end up odd? The list of people coming is now posted at the front, for those of you asking.

jv3x3

Smash Champion
Prime id be interested in teaming up... not sure how it would work out with a jiggly though. Also, does this mean eduardo is not coming??? That sucks, as i wanted to play him.

Edit: Oh and would I be able to smash with the kishs + or joshu-iggy beforehand. And does anyone want any $$$ sets, nothing huge but something that will make it somewhat interesting.

superpichu

Smash Journeyman
Bonus

If I don't take 1st place in the 1v1s, $20 to whoever does. (what a moot bonus, it's going to come back to me anyways)

I'm also bringing a GC, TV, and a power strip.

KishPrime

BRoomer
I'd be happy to team up with you jv3x3, you have a reputation around here so as a relative newbie I'm honored you asked! Good to hear that Eddie can make it at least...too bad about the rest of Chicago... As far as pre-smashing is concerned we are currently planning to open up the gym at noon. If we can get in earlier, we will and will post the change in times accordingly, but that gives us about an hour and a half of warm up/friendlies. We Kishes will rotate between setting up and playing, and Joshu and Iggy should be free!

jv3x3

Smash Champion
Re: Bonus

Originally posted by superpichu
If I don't take 1st place in the 1v1s, $20 to whoever does. (what a moot bonus, it's going to come back to me anyways)

I'm also bringing a GC, TV, and a power strip.
A week ago he was quiting smash, now he proclaiming victory. Thats what i like to hear V

Edit: Good stuff, Prime+JV=1 place in teams (and the need to think of a cool *** team name). As far as warmups we will have to get some games in to practice up, but that should be enough time for me to get warmed up and used to jiggly (cause shes a interesting character to play with)

KishPrime

BRoomer
Indeed, Jiggles is great for team mode at least. Tis tragic that Andy cannot make it or you would see the power that was Puff Stuff. Oh well. V's generosity has made me generous as well, in the hopes that you out-of-staters will be more likely to come, I'll toss in a $15 out-of-state bonus for the 1v1s if anyone from outside Indiana wins. Ok...it's not a lot, but I'm poor. Luckily, I won't have to give it anyway. But maybe it'll be enough to convince Nnamdi to drive the rest of the Ohioans out here.

LazyNova

Smash Journeyman
Nah, I think V and I will win the teams this time. Lets see... that would be team... V with LazyNova holding him back... or... Team Batman... or... STOP... or... maybe just CWRU Team #1 again. I mean shoot, it sounds like lots of good people are going to be pairing up with people they haven't partnered with before.

So you're definitely a definite now Jv3x3? I still haven't talked to the person with my couch, but I really should be able to come for just a saturday, so yea, I'm pretty certain I'm coming.

KishSquared

Smash Master
Re: Bonus

Originally posted by superpichu
You wanna make that official, V? Because I'll hold you to that unless you tell me you're joking!

Jv3x3, I'll gladly put some cash down on a match. You're gonna see some Indiana action up close and personal.
Anyways, sounds like this tourney is finally gaining some momentum. Remember, we have plenty of space, so the more the merrier!

Also, I'm not sure how many people are planning on the crew tourney, but let us know when you've got your crew locked in. That way we can know ahead of time how much time to plan for it. If you aren't part of a crew, feel free to start your own or try to join one! Remember, 2-6 people per crew, although we may up it to 4-6, so keep that in mind

jv3x3

Smash Champion
squared...

$25, 6 stock best of 5, tourney rules, items on/off up to loser (or just off, with broken stages off)??? Is that cool with ya?

Top Bottom