• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An Analytical View of the Smash Hacking Community

perfectedidiot2

Smash Cadet
This would probably fit better under the debate forums, but it’s technically within the realm of Brawl so, though I have a feeling my wording is geared towards another audience.

This is gonna get wordy, brace yourself.

More or less I’m looking at the Brawl hacking community from an analytical standpoint. I feel a little compelled to present this after reading an article on gaming societies and cultures., I’m probably not the first to do so, and the accuracy of some statements may vary, but I might as well present my two cents. No one is entitled to agree with the arguments I present or to even listen to me for that matter, I am after all an idiot by nature and name. Anyways, with that out of the way let’s begin.

First, a history lesson, skip this if you‘re not interested, and take everything I say here with a grain of salt. Brawl was released a little more than two years ago and since then it’s community has developed in an interesting way. We originally started off as consumers, people who, in the broadest terms, simply just played the game. Most of the user generated content at this point were of gameplay videos, walkthroughs, photos, and the like. Then came the creation of the Twilight Hack and Homebrew Software, thus opening up the gateway for players to expand their ability from being players to generators of content in the form of hacks. Yet despite these opportunities the producer community in Brawl, in terms of hacking at least, remained relatively small. Most likely due to the relative difficulty of developing hacks. I believe at around this point, Brawl+ came out. This marked a time in which the community attempted to change the gameplay mechanics Brawl, under a standardized system, thus separating a separate game. Such developments lead to the creation of a hacking subculture in the Brawl community, and gave some players the experience of taking on the view of game developer. Then came Phantom Wings’ File Replacement code which made textures possible. Suddenly, the hacking community in Brawl experienced a sudden growth spurt, it was suddenly a lot easier to create altered game content for the masses. The increase in accessibly lead to increase in producers, causing distributor groups like ESH, KittyCorp, MeowMix, and StackSmash to emerge. Though the changes were purely aesthetic, the inception of file replacement lent to growing transition of players to producers. Then came the next File Replacement Code, and PSA, opening up Pandora’s box. Now the masses had the capability of viewing the game from a developer’s perspective, much like Brawl+ before it, but on a more public scale. From then on the hacking community continued to grow and it snowballed with the invention of development tools that allowed for more accessible alterations such as Brawlbox and Riivolution. Thus in a little more than two years the Brawl community has developed a rather large, thriving community of players who are also producers.

Is this a new thing? Not in the slightest, patterns like this are as old as gaming communities and probably even older. So why even bother noting it? Well first off, if you like the history of obscure things, there’s one for ya, and second off it interests me as how the Brawl hacking community developed. Mainly I’m intrigued by how it’s growth was possibly influenced by the transition from a closed source system to a fairly open one.
Now for those who don’t know what open and closed source systems are I’ll give a quick summary. Open sourced systems are systems in which the source code is open to the masses, allowing them to edit and alter it as a community, an example of this would be Linux. Closed source systems are the opposite, the source code is not up for public eyes or hands. As you probably can figure, Brawl began as a closed source system and has slowly been developing into a de facto open source system by the hacking community. Now this isn’t a new pattern, I believe the Starcraft community had similar circumstances. However, what I find intriguing is how this might of led to such a large hacking community in Brawl. Brawl probably has the largest hacking community out of any other Wii game and its still growing. Now I’m not saying that it’s the predominant community in Brawl, non hackers probably out number hackers by quite a margin, but it’s size is still considerable. Is the diversity and size of the hacking community due to the way the game’s code was steadily introduced to the masses, the relative size of the actual Brawl community, or just an anomaly?

Why am I asking this? Because it’s an interesting example of some of my subject material, I have too much time on my hands, and it’s might entertain a few people here and there.

I think I managed to be wordy without saying a whole lot…..there are probably a lot of ways I could have worded this different and there are some points still in my head, but I think I’ll just shut up for now, less I molder until the end comes.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
The only reason Brawl hacking is big is the File Replacement Code, BrawlBox and PSA.

The main reason why PC games have modding communities is this:
1) Ease of messing around with. Developers provide mod tools sometimes, and since its a PC game, modding the game is as simple as editing the files installed on your computer. For example, check out the online GTA mods. When the game is on PC, its much easier to break into it, as you have no real limit as to what you can do with enough time.

The Wii is the most easily softmodded system, and thanks to the File Replacement Code, BrawlBox, and PSA, Brawl is the easist game to mod. In fact, I would say that Brawl is the most hacked console game of all time, in terms of amount of hacks and depth of hacks.

Phantom Wings, Kryal, Dantarion - I honestly believe that in terms of the actual hacking and reverse engineering, we are the 3 who have really opened up Brawl. There are many users of the tools, but only so many tool makers. The tools are what allow randomSmasherHacker1353 to even attempt to do anything.

There are exceptional tool users (shanus fanboy #1 speaking) and most of them (bias) have been gobbled up by Project M. Project M represents the height of Brawl hacking, as our decision making is no longer based around "what is possible". We now just think "what is the best method of accomplishing X". Sure, theres some stuff that will never be done, like perfect clone engine, fixed Wifi, etc. But we have made almost NO design sacrifices.

Anyways, I am done ranting about how I am awesome.

On the open source comment, I kinda disagree. Unless you just mean the sharing of information. BrawlBox, BCSM-GUI, OpenSA1/2/3/Tabuu, etc, have all been open source in terms of code, but....the only people to work on any of them are... Kryal/Bero/Me/WindOwl/pokelover?

Bero

Smash Journeyman
I totally agree with Dantarion.
But don't forget Sakurai's existence. Ironically, he himself attracted hackers by making this game amusing.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
In fact, I would say that Brawl is the most hacked console game of all time, in terms of amount of hacks and depth of hacks.
You sir forgot Super Mario World.

THAT game is totally ***** by hackers.

DiamondbodySharpshooter

Smash Journeyman
You sir forgot Super Mario World.

THAT game is totally ***** by hackers.
At the same time, there are probably a good few hundred levels out there. But there are also a good chunk of textures for each character, whether up on BrawlVault or not (except wolf), lots of imported stuff, many codes, many many codes, codes that are still being made and take hours to perfect (whether 3, 30, or 300), and the fact that there are a whole chunk of PSA characters, barring the fact that every single modset has used PSA to an impacting degree, as well as the fact that each major modset has had multiple versions with improvements.

But Super Mario World has a truckload of these.

perfectedidiot2

Smash Cadet
Phantom Wings, Kryal, Dantarion - I honestly believe that in terms of the actual hacking and reverse engineering, we are the 3 who have really opened up Brawl. There are many users of the tools, but only so many tool makers. The tools are what allow randomSmasherHacker1353 to even attempt to do anything.
Would this be an accurate visual representation of that?

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
I'd say merge distributors and Content Creators into one, as your "distributors" are just groups of Content Creators. As for why Brawl has epic hacks, pretty much what Dant said and the fact Brawl could have been a lot more than it was, hence projects to create new characters and whole new renditions of Brawl (Brawl+,Brawl-,P:M, etc). Although you have the concept down.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Since were talking about devs, I'd probably like to say thank you to all of you guys for opening Brawl for me.
Maybe we should have a Brawl Hacker Appreciation Day, seriously.
@Dant if your reading this, thank you :)

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
If anything there should be a higher level of content creators to include people who work with light ASM codes & go deeper into other files. There are things like Events, MDL0s, and other files that were decoded by people who don't fit into the top of the pyramid.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm at least 90% of that pyramid.
you can divvy up the rest of the pyramid accordingly.

forreal: what Dantarion said + vBrawl sucks.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
I think Bero should be in the top part of the pyramid as well. He continued BrawlBox after Kryal left.

DiamondbodySharpshooter

Smash Journeyman
I don't think we're actually making a pyramid, I think it was just an example, guys.

Also, Brawl hacking has the advantage of causing people to interact with others, at least within their group. After all, we don't want desynching, right? Then there's trying to get the best textures/textures that appeal to everyone, then the music replacing, and sooner or later you have an entire shared pack. But it's very participatory.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I think Bero should be in the top part of the pyramid as well. He continued BrawlBox after Kryal left.
Agreed with my bud Seggy. :3

Also, yay for being a "Content Creater". A title so badass, it has 2 e's in the second word. O's are for wimps. ¦D

Bero

Smash Journeyman
OK,I got it. Please wait for a week.
------------------end off topic---------------------

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
WARNING: THIS POST MEANS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IN GENERAL. JUST THROWING OUT THERE DANT WAS WRONG ABOUT SOMETHING EXTREMELY MINOR THAT HE WOULD HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING. Thank you :3

In fact, I would say that Brawl is the most hacked console game of all time, in terms of amount of hacks and depth of hacks.
I'd like just to throw in there that you have forgotten a hacking scene of a rather old console game, Super Mario World. SMW is so easy to hack that it rivals PC games in hack numbers, and the depths of the hacking are so great that they make PSA go to shame. Can you play Mario Kart in your Brawl Hack using only the game's engine? SMW can do that.

Yay for hacking scenes!

Dantarion

Smash Champion
WARNING: THIS POST MEANS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IN GENERAL. JUST THROWING OUT THERE DANT WAS WRONG ABOUT SOMETHING EXTREMELY MINOR THAT HE WOULD HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING. Thank you :3

I'd like just to throw in there that you have forgotten a hacking scene of a rather old console game, Super Mario World. SMW is so easy to hack that it rivals PC games in hack numbers, and the depths of the hacking are so great that they make PSA go to shame. Can you play Mario Kart in your Brawl Hack using only the game's engine? SMW can do that.

Yay for hacking scenes!

Next time, try hacking SMW within 5 years of its release, on the original console.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Next time, try hacking SMW within 5 years of its release, on the original console.
Just saying, Brawl hacking has had a quick growth due to people like Phantom Wings being in the right place as the right time, but SMW is still bigger and more advanced by EONS and I just liked pointing out the fact that you got something wrong for once lol

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Just saying, Brawl hacking has had a quick growth due to people like Phantom Wings being in the right place as the right time, but SMW is still bigger and more advanced by EONS and I just liked pointing out the fact that you got something wrong for once lol
The point is, the only possible (well, incredibly easy and not super over complicated totally not worth it) way to hack SMW is by doing it on the computer, and therefore it falls under the computer game category since it's not on the console anymore :/

DiamondbodySharpshooter

Smash Journeyman
Just saying, Brawl hacking has had a quick growth due to people like Phantom Wings being in the right place as the right time,
Started before that. Sure, that's when it started growing more popular, but SMW hacking only reeeeeally started with Lunar Magic. So it's had 10 years of it's 20 year lifespan to be hacked by amateurs? (I mean no offense or connotation in that statement.)

but SMW is still bigger and more advanced by EONS
No one doubted that either, it's just the fact that it was hacked on a computer. Which is why...

and I just liked pointing out the fact that you got something wrong for once
...he said he counts it as a computer-based hacking community, as has been reaffirmed. OPINION. Sounds like there are a few deep-seated issues there...

i mad

libertyernie

Smash Ace
If we included SMW (which we're not) we'd have to include Sonic 1/2/3K/CD as well. The hacks for that game are CRAZY. But I agree with the assessment that Brawl is the most hacked game to still be run on the actual console.

Top Bottom