• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nattorei Roasting on an Open Fire - Gates Wins, Everyone Else Doesn't

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
You might be wondering why this thread exists. In fact, you probably should be. It would be in your best interest to read this little bit, if you are interested in participating in this tournament. If you are not, well, there's no real reason for you to be even reading this post, it's mostly just boring rules with a cool picture. Also, Pokémon Special is a great manga, and you should read it. Anyways, to the story.

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, there were successful tournaments in the Poké Center. Why these rarely occur now, I can't be sure. Perhaps it's the decrease in active members who participate in tournaments. Whatever it is, it doesn't change anything. Perhaps to host a successful tournament, old ways must be changed. Posting in this thread does not necessarily make you eligible for this tournament. In line with the hope for active participants, this tournament will use an actual bracket, to be fair. On a similar note, mods are now fairness police and can close threads if the fairness level is not satisfactory. On top of being able to ban people for having lots of expired infraction points. But I digress. This actual bracket to increase the fairness level of this thread, ironically, means that if you see yourself playing Terywj in the second round, you should dig the **** up his RMT and build a team that perfectly counters it. If you have a problem with this, you should complain to the fairness police. Another practice of the "old times" are what I will call "executive decisions". If one pair of players in the first round doesn't finish their matches in a 16-player tournament, what do you do? Do you reward the more active person for NOT doing his or her match and throw him or her in winners? Do you kick out the less active player? Do you base the answer of the previous question on the activity level of the player in question? If so, where do you draw the line between active and inactive, where do you draw the line between "throw him in loser's" and "get the **** out"? In traditional tournaments, this is not a problem. A Super Smash Bros. Melee tournament is a good example. Brawl sucks. Everyone is in one location. If someone doesn't make it to a match, it's safe to say that they aren't there, and you should just kick them out. Online, it might not be fair, because one player lives in Singapore and another lives in Brazil, while both are active online. This is where executive decisions come into play, when there is no definitive "right" answer. In the first NROAOF tournament, the friend of a mod was booted out of the tournament for not posting in the thread until the first round 1 was called. Said mod was understandably upset. However, this is a Christmas tournament, in case you did not notice the clever pun in the title (denying the cleverness of the reference makes you ineligible for this title). To sign up for this tournament, either PM me or send me a message on Skype with the form at the bottom of this post. My Skype name is "wave.dash". I tried my best to keep the tournament active without compromising the ending date, which I planned to be before or on December 24th. Needless to say, this end date is now thrown out the window, because **** the holidays. In addition to this, if you planned to gift your prize to a friend and / or relative for a Christmas present, well tough ****, complain to the fairness police.

General Rules:

1. I am always correct.
  2. If I am not correct, please refer to Rule 1.
  3. Yes, there are prizes. No, there is no entrance fee. Donations are welcome.
  4. Just kidding, there is an entrance fee. The fee is your word that you will attempt to your best ability to complete your matches by the deadline.
  5. All matches must be played on Pokémon Online.
  6. Save your logs.
  7. In Pokémon Online, there is an option to always save battle logs. Do it.
  8. Each round will one week.
  9. The tournament is double elimination.
  10. All matches are best two out of three, with the sole exception of the finals, which will be best three out of five.
  11. Feel free to use as many teams as you wish, as long as all teams operate within the boundaries stated in the rules. This rule does not require usage of multiple teams.
  12. After finishing a match, post in this thread the result. For example, if player A beat player B in the first battle and lost in the second and third battles, this is what is expected to be posted - A: "Lost, 1-2" - B: "Won, 2-1"
  13. Do not post publicly, anywhere, the contents of your opponents team unless your opponent explicitly gives your permission to do so.
  14. No scouting.
  15. I reserve the right to deny entrance to this tournament from anyone who has shown a lack of activity in the past or for other reason, in either tournaments and / or general posting.

Team Rules:

1. The following Pokémon are not permitted:
    Arceus
    Darkrai
    Deoxys
    Deoxys-A
    Deoxys-S
    Dialga
    Giratina
    Giratina-O
    Groudon
    Ho-Oh
    Kyogre
    Lugia
    Manaphy
    Mewtwo
    Palkia
    Rayquaza
    Reshiram
    Shaymin-S
    Zekrom
  2. The item Soul Dew is banned.
  3. All Dream World abilities and moves are allowed.
  4. Team Preview is off.
  5. The following battle clauses are in effect:
    Evasion Clause
    Sleep Clause
    Freeze Clause
    OHKO Clause
    Self-KO Clause
    Species Clause

Prizes:

1. First place: a fabulous set of Kanto gym badges!
    I am not in any way affiliated with Mr. Glyph. This prize may be replaced with something of approximately equal monetary value, plausibly similar to second and third place prizes, in the case that Mr. Glyph either discontinues production or does not want his badges to be used as a prize.
  2. Second place: $15 worth of games from Steam or any other similar service. Other games that support gifting, such as Minecraft, are also acceptable.
  3. Third place: $10 worth of games from Steam or any other similar service.
  4. In the case that the first place winner does not want his or her designated prize, he or she can "drop down" a level, and take any other prize.
  5. Prizes do not necessarily have to be delivered to the prize earned. If he or she wishes, the prize may be gifted to someone else.

As always, but with an addition:

SWF Username:
Pokémon Online Username:
Skype Name (optional):
Time Zone:

Sign-ups will close when 16 people have signed up. Anyone interested after the quota has been filled will be used as a substitute.

[collapse="Contestant details"]1. SWF Username: UltiMario
Pokémon Online Username: UltiMario
Skype Name: ultima_mario
Time Zone: EST

2. SWF Username: SilentVerse
Pokémon Online Username: SilentVerse, VileSenters,
Time Zone: MST (GMT -7)

3. Username: vVv ChiboSempai
Pokemon Online: Chibo
AIM: ChiboSempai

4. SWF Username: Terywj
Pokémon Online Username: Terywj
Skype Name (optional): Terywj Lee

5. SWF Username: Fuelbi
Pokemon Online Username: Fuel

6. SWF Username: TheRealGamer
Pokémon Online Username: appleseed
Skype Name (optional): RealGamer123
Time Zone: Eastern Time zone

7. Username: Yoshididdy
Pokemon Online: Chimpakt
AIM: lbjames92

8. SWF Username: Moozle
Pokémon Online Username: Moozle
Skype Name (optional): Moozle
Time Zone: Central

9. Username: Angel.M <3 C:
Pokemon online: Sapphire Birch
Aim: leafninjamarth
Timezone: EST

10. Username: Punishment Divine
Pokemon Online: Punishment Divine
AIM: secondreference

11. Username: Wrath`
AIM: Akward Seabass
PO Name: Seabass

12. Username: Riddle
AIM: RiddleSWF
Po Name: Riddle

13. SWF Username: ss118
Pokémon Online Username: articanus

14. SWF username: why is this required for tournament entry when it's painfully obvious
Pokemon Online Username: Alice Margatroid
Time Zone: PST

15. SWF Username: BLM (black mage)
Pokémon Online Username: B.L.M
Skype Name (optional): none

16. SWF Username: Circa
Pokémon Online Username: Circa
Time Zone: EST[/collapse]

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I like how this fixes nothing because now "people that have fairly won round 1 are now being unfairly reset," now we have a different issue.

This thread really shouldn't exist and instead we should've just given Angel the bye, or gotten a sub to play Angel.

Rule 1 Wave. It's your goddamn tourney. People don't want to show up or post more than once in the tourney thread? Tough **** for them.

Also, $547865865865986579657965795697 and 185235 sets of Glyph's badges say that there won't be 16 people to play in the tourney and the mods are just completely ruining the forum.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Rule 1 Wave. It's your goddamn tourney. People don't want to show up or post more than once in the tourney thread? Tough **** for them.
Actually, rule 1 doesn't always apply because of the fairness police.
Also, $547865865865986579657965795697 and 185235 sets of Glyph's badges say that there won't be 16 people to play in the tourney
Chibo says he knows people.
mods are just completely ruining the forum.
Get the **** out of my thread.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Ulti, do you really have to derail my thread? What do you have against me holding tournaments?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I have nothing against your tourney.

I have something against the mods ruining the old tourney and them causing me to have to redo Round 1 because they won't stop yelling about it.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
We should do an 8-man instead so it feels like its Round 2 even if it isn't :3

At least the tourney will start and go through that way.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Ulti just stop this please. I imagine Wave is obviously pretty frustrated right now he's just trying to host as smooth of a tournament as possible and various people are making it difficult for him, including you.

SWF Username: TheRealGamer
Pokémon Online Username: appleseed
Skype Name (optional): RealGamer123
Time Zone: Eastern Time zone

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Ubers Cup signups start whenever this thread gets to more than 2 pages and is still a bunch of *****ing about rules and brackets and we don't have 16 people signed up.

Oh, and there's no way I'm going to waste my time signing up for this again. Completely resetting the tourney because you don't know how to run it and punishing people who were one win away from being guaranteed 3rd or higher. LIKE ME.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Is it me or are people not reading the wall of text that tells you to send him a PM or a message on skype to sign up.

****ing really?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Username: vVv ChiboSempai
Pokemon Online: Chibo
AIM: ChiboSempai

You guys need to lower the snark level like 30 notches real talk

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Username: Yoshididdy
Pokemon Online: Chimpakt
AIM: lbjames92

Angel.M <3 C:

Smash Champion
Username: angel.m <3 c:
Pokemon online: sapphire birch
Aim: leafninjamarth
Timezone: est

I know it says pm or skype the form but I'm posting from my phone since I won't have internet til tomorrow. So I hope you take this post as the same.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
You might as well add ultima_mario for my Skype, Wave.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Username: Wrath`
Skype, AIM: Akward Seabass (Yes Awkward is spelled wrong on purpose)
PO Name: Seabass

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
hi chibo's subs (2 spots left)

SWF username: why is this required for tournament entry when it's painfully obvious
Pokemon Online Username: Alice Margatroid
Time Zone: PST

Moozle

Smash Champion
Don't worry Chibo. The only people that speak out are the ones who have a problem. Most of us are happy that you are trying to help.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
To be honest, people who do not actively post in the PC generally are worse at completing their matches than the "regulars". You can't really deny that. But I'm sure Chibo's not advertising the tournament on like a Farmville forum or some ****. I trust his judgment.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Shockingly enough, there is a pokemon community outside of the PC lol
even I'm not a "regular" anymore I'd say

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i mean your guys' as in regulars who are acting elitist and not liking people who don't regularly post here
give people a chance and stop being so prejudice

Gates

Banned via Warnings
We give them chances by letting them in our tourneys and they **** it up.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Riddle is a ****** 12 year old kid who thinks he's hot **** because he almost got to second base one time.

:p

Riddle

Smash Lord
Gates is some 40 year old comic book nerd who has Hannah Montana posters in his room and has never even stepped up to the plate.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
i mean your guys' as in regulars who are acting elitist and not liking people who don't regularly post here
give people a chance and stop being so prejudice
We have. Ever since my Mixed Bags a fair amount of participants outside of the PokeCenter have registered for the tournaments. Unfortunately, they have mainly dropped out or completely ignored their matches, etc.
It's not that we don't like them, it's that the countless people before them don't quite give them a good name.

Also, Wave's not going to be too happy about some of these posts.

Edit - This makes it seem like I'm completely hating on the non-regulars, which I am technically not. Just speaking from a neutral standpoint.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Gates is some 40 year old comic book nerd who has Hannah Montana posters in his room and has never even stepped up to the plate.
Wizards of Waverly Place, actually. I took down the Hannah Montana posters because Miley Cyrus' solo career is terrible.

And I'm 37, I'm not old.

Also, Wave's not going to be too happy about some of these posts.
I'm not happy that Wave reset the tourney when I was in a good position to get third.

But hey, that's just me.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
EDIT: NINJA'D

10 african american ninjas with afros.

I feel like the tourney will run smoothly now with all of this criticism... lol

Top Bottom