• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MeleeTool 1.3

libertyernie

Smash Ace
MeleeTool
current version: 1.3 - Download

Known bugs:
  • None.

MeleeTool is a program written in Java to automatically insert textures into Melee .dat files. It works off a text file (Data.txt) which has the placements for each texture. See the top of the file for more information.

New in 1.3:
  • Data.txt's second column now contains the width and height of each image. (This was needed for the extraction method.)
  • Roy is now a supported character.
  • There is a new feature that extracts textures from a supported characters .DAT file to separate TEX0/PAT0 files readable by BrawlBox. (I don't know of a way to convert these files to .png or .tga with a command-line program, and I'm not going to implement the texture formats in Java myself.)

The included Data.txt has placements for:
  • Mario
  • Kirby (including hats)
  • Link
  • Pikachu
  • Pichu
  • Mewtwo
  • Roy
  • Jigglypuff
  • Character Select Screen (MnSlChr.usd)
(In case you're wondering, MnSlChr.usd required some special coding, since unlike a character, it doesn't have different colors. But now, this method could be used for other files by putting "Single" as the color in Data.txt.)

The .tga files to edit are in the Images/[character_abbreviation] folder. (Some might need to be indexed - see Indexing Information.txt.)
After editing them, run "MeleeTool.jar" (or "Run in Console.bat" if you want to see some of the TexConv.exe output.)
If the images that need to be indexed are not indexed or use too many colors, the program will throw an error and quit.

Using the extraction feature: For indexed textures, you can open the "Sample.brres", replace both the texture and palette with the TEX0 and PAT0 files, then export the texture to an image file. (There's no reason to save the changes to the .brres file.)

You'll need the Java Runtime Environment: http://java.com/

Screenshots:

An error you might get if you forget to index Jiggs' eyes:

RGB5A3 textures work since 1.1.

ILM

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure I love you right now. I've been waiting for something like this forever.

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
i'm sure you know this but tpl insert is amazing because it works off a text file which you can easily change yourself. i don't know maybe you could make it so it runs off of a bunch of separate character specific text files. I might make the command go

which dat/usd?: PlPkNr.dat
then it would read PlPkNr.txt in a folder called placements

replace all images press y, replace single texturesat a time press n:n
which textures?: 01 02 03 06 09

It would be great if you could code it so that people could easily add their own text files full of offsets. that way you can release it and let the community add to it with no more hassle from you with "hard coding"

And tpl_insert doesn't work on _8 and _9. these would be the most annoying to hard code but also the most beneficial

libertyernie

Smash Ace
I had the same idea. I did a bunch of work on MeleeTool over the week, and now it reads from a file. This will make it very easy to add support for new characters.
Also, if anyone needs to change the program itself, I provided source code in a .jar. It's released under the Apache License 2.0.

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
this is coming along really nicely. that data.txt is so full of painstaking detail. high hopes good stuff

ILM

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I have a bug to report. When trying to compile even a default MnSlChr.usd, it throws the following error:

Could not copy Melee\PlMnSlChr.usdSingle.dat to OutputPlMnSlChr.usdSingle.dat
When I renamed MnSlChr.usd to PlMnSlChr.usdSingle.dat, and placed it in the Melee folder, the result was a corrupt selection screen. Sorry to bug you, hope it can be worked out.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
Version 1.1 is out! Bugs fixed, and also, it works on Linux now.
Data.txt has an added column in it now for the texture format. Also, delete your old Images/MnSlChr.usd folder, because I renamed all the files in it.

so could this be used to convert textures that are already made since it outputs in every color?
Sort of, as long as the character is supported (or you add the placements to Data.txt itself.)
You'll need the original .tga images (or, if you don't have them, you can rip them from Dolphin like you do for the default textures.)

ILM

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I'm back, and just tried out the new version.
It seems 1.1 still has some trouble with MnSlChr.usd. It stopped throwing errors, however, when running the console, no output is seen, and the end result is always the same file. I tested this by changing many of the CSPs, and I always received the same MD5 checksum as the default file, and ingame tests showed default portraits. Sorry to be such a bother, but I thought you would want to know about this bug.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
Darn! I forgot to mention that you have to index all the CSS portraits. The maximum is 256 colors. I don't know of a way to do this without getting rid of the drop shadow, though.

Steelia

Smash Champion
libertyernie !
Last I used KirbyTool with hexing Green Pichu, it missed hexing his back backpack strap (03Strap-Buckle). It hexed in his blue color's strap instead (05Buckle). Just wondering if you caught that. :)

Top Bottom