• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geist's Art Thread - *Updated 1/11*

Geist

Smash Master
Hello there, Art Emporium. I've decided it's about time to finally have an art thread of my own to share, store and take requests, but of course, ultimately to show off. Most stuff in here is outdated by up to 3 years, and only a few drawings are recent. It's really easy to tell, and it doesn't really matter which ones are which anyways.
Usually I post my stuff in the Social thread beforehand, being a regular poster in the AE and all - but this thread is mostly to those new people joining the boards, or just someone coming into the AE for the first time.

A little about me:
I'm a 19 year old college freshman currently attending the Art Institute of Vancouver for 3D Modelling and Animation. I've been drawing since I could hold a pencil, and it's been a regular hobby of mine from that point. Other kids were busy playing sports, socializing and doing homework, the losers.
I mostly work with graphite, but I'm familiar with most mediums and styles. I also play smash more than I should. Go figure.
I also don't have a DeviantArt. But I'll probably get to that.

And if you're nice, I might be your friend. Maybe.

Requests: but not yet
Yeah I'll do them.
No not now.
If you really want something done for you, you can request it in this thread, PM me on smashboards, or contact me at bsaumure@yahoo.com. I sift through my spam box every week or so.
But not now. I'm busy. I'll set this up later. Relax.

Featured Artwork
~Simone Simons
Digital 500x279 / elapsed time: 15 hours
One of the lead vocalists from symphonic metal band 'Epica', and imo one of the most talented (and good looking) vocalists in modern music. I stepped it up this time with full color, which was a lot more difficult than I had thought it would be. Smudge tool works wonders.

Artwork
* denotes that a piece is not finished
** denotes that a piece will never be finished
*** denotes a unicorn
[collapse=Portraits]
~ Jamie
Digital 512x384 / elapsed time: 11 hours
A good friend of mine from Las Vegas. This is my first attempt at a purely digital portrait, and I like how it turned out, to be frank. I went for more of a stylized look, keeping the lines and with heavy use of the smudge tool for a painted effect. I felt that will all the tools at hand in the digital medium, I could literally just render to the point of perfect imitation, and I didn't want to go for that. This time >:D

~ Zooey Deschanel
Graphite on 9x12 sketch paper / elapsed time: 15 hours
I love Zooey <3 I picked this composition specifically because her eyes were so bright and engaging. I probably spent an equal amount of time and effort on her eyes as I did the rest of the drawing.

~ Chris AKA Desh
Graphite on 8x11 sketch paper / elapsed time: 9 hours 30 minutes
My best buddy Chris, known as Desh on the boards.

~ Untitled
Graphite on 8x11 sketch paper / elapsed time: 7 hours
I never met him personally, but this portrait was commissioned to me by a friend of mine after the portrait's subject passed away.

~Bonafide @ Open Mike
Graphite on 8x11 paper / elapsed time: 2 hours
My buddy Imadh on an open mike session. Also known as IB on the boards, AKA Canada's best Marth player *cough name drop cough*

~Canada Smash
Graphite on 8x11 paper / elapsed time: 1 hour 30 minutes
My buddies, and also Canada's best Smashers (melee, not lolbrawl). Well I don't know Kage, but I have been in the warrior's presence once, and my, was it a glorious moment.

~ Grandchild #1
Graphite on 9x12 sketch paper / elapsed time: 5 hours 30 minutes
Part of a series of commissions I had for the grandchildren of family friends. I was never satisfied with this one, but they were. Oh well, money is money. whyisthissobig

~Grandchild #2
Graphite on 9x12 sketch paper / elapsed time: 8 hours
The better of the 3 commissions for the 3 grandchilden. Unfortunately I didn't have time to scan in the third and final one :[

~ Self Portrait
Graphite on 8x11 paper / elapsed time: 4 hours
For the AE Social first post haha. Man, I look super serious. And sexy. Mmmmmhmm

~ Will
Graphite on 8x11 paper / elapsed time: 2 hours 30 minutes
My younger brother Will. Unlike my portrait, this captures his personality perfectly. No, he doesn't have ADD, stop asking.

~ Gav
Graphite on 8x11 paper / elapsed time: 3 hours
My step bro. The one guy in the family who's going to be 10x more successful than everyone else. Keep those thumbs up dude. Keep 'em up.

~ Keo
Graphite on 8x11 paper / elapsed time: 2 hours 30 minutes
My youngest step bro. The spunky chipmunk of the family. He kept trying to be coolio Mcloltough for the shot so I told him something funny and snapped it. That'll learn ya, cretin.
[/collapse]
[collapse=Colored Pencils]
~Orca
Colored Pencil on 9x12 sketch paper / elapsed time: 2 hours 30 minutes
In a rush to finish procrastinated work, I whipped up one of my most successful pieces ever. It won me a contest at high school, appeared in a Las Vegas local newspaper (where I was living at the time), and I sold almost 15 copies at school for $15 each. Suckers LOL

~AWYP 4 Entry
Colored Pencil and Watercolor Pencil on 8x11 / elapsed time: 3 hours
For the smashboards AWYP project. I came in second. I hate you Lokii.
Forever.
<3
[/collapse]

[collapse=Concept Art and Sketches]
~ War Machine*
Graphite on 11x17 paper
A bigger and more detailed version of a sketch a drew while listening to "Crusher Destroyer" by Mastodon. No piece has spawned as many "what is that :/" questions as this one. What is it? USE YOUR ****ING IMAGINATION

~ Dragon Concepts
Graphite on 8x11 paper / elapsed time: 20 minutes
RAWR

~ Armor Concept
Graphite on 8x11 paper / elapsed time: 15 minutes
I didn't feel like doing the back. I modelled this suit after a Skagen watch lol

~Knight Concept
Graphite on 8x11 paper / elapsed time: 1 hour
I think I should have made him in a more dynamic pose, but I'd rather think that I successfully made him look like an *******, which is what I was going for.

~ Samus Concept*
Graphite on 8x11 paper
I did this for a social AE project, and never finished it because I wanted to put more time into it. I'm coloring it digitally now, but that's not very far along yet. Later though.

~ Car Concept
Technical Pen and Marker on 8x11 paper / elapsed time: 15 minutes
My first time working with markers that didn't suck. Might be one of my favorite mediums now.

~ Jeep*
Graphite on 9x12
I will never finish this. I do about 30 seconds of touchups every once in a while and it's never good enough. Maybe someday. Maybe someday.

~Saleen**
Graphite on 9x12
This scan is outdated, but the one I have presently isn't done either LOL. Yeah this hasn't been finished for 3 years now... Uhm moving on

~ Kitty :3
Graphite on 9x12 / elapsed time: Wasn't keeping track. Maybe 6 hours.
Aw it's a kitty :3
Kitty kitty kitty. Fur sucks to render. By the time I was close to finishing this I was doing it so half-***** LOL
[/collapse]
[collapse=Other]
~ The 3 Godesses*
Anime on StupidxDumb / Elapsed time: 35 minutes
Yeah this is me doing anime. Stop asking me to do it people.
This is actually semi-fitting because no other style would work with Zelda fanart. That, and I found exactly zero good Farore, Din and Nayru fanart drawings. I personally think that they can potentially be very fleshed out characters in the Zelda universe, and would love to see a Zelda game with them in the spotlight. No Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons don't count.

~Mat
Graphite on ?x? (it's a small thumbnail)
A quick drawing I made of a friend as a part of the beginning phase of facial studies I started a few years ago. I literally drew nothing but faces for almost 8 months because I was determined to make my weaknesses my strong points. I overdid it a bit, and now drawing faces is my strongest suit lol. Thought this would be interesting to share, to show exactly where good old fashioned practice can take you.
[/collapse]

More to come later, obviously.

Geist

Smash Master
Yessir that one's from me haha. Glad you like it :D
Thanks a lot for commenting guys. I'm going to try to update this on a regular basis. Since i'll be flooded with school artwork, so will this thread lol

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Love the pencil portraits, especially the Canada Smash series, which is legendary

mzink*

Smash Ace
Love the colored pencil stuff, I haven't figured out how to do well with colored pencils.

Also the War Machine one is very interesting. I like.

WIGI

Smash Champion
oh bren, i liked watching you grow from our gradeschool doodles all the way to this.

your future is bright.

Sion

Island of Horizon
brendon, some of the stuff you have up is really impressive. the detail you put into it is also amazing =D
and i'm not saying this just because you're an amazing smash player either.

and this piece is amazing:

you're going to the AI of Vancouver, right? keep up the good work, dude.

Geist

Smash Master
Aha thanks everyone, I've updated the thread a bit again, expect more soon too.

and thanks Sion! :D
We need to chill sometime when I get back lol

Get@Will

Smash Champion
been a while since i've seen something that's made me go "whoa". amazinggggggg work, man.

love this piece. good at art AND good looking? double win.

WIGI

Smash Champion
post moreeee breennn

you need to brag more and build up a huge ego for yourself. its what i do.. its fun

global-wolf

Smash Champion
@3mmanu3lrc: It's not polite to post your own artwork in someone else's personal art thread. You can make your own thread for your art or post in in the general discussion.

Geist

Smash Master
Haha don't worry global, I don't mind at all.

@3mmanu3lrc, it's pretty well done, but at the moment it looks like it hasn't reached the final stage yet. May I suggest increasing your contrasts between the darkest and lightest portions of the drawings? Make the darkest parts completely black, and make the highlights really stand out. And don't forget to have a consistent light source, it'll help a lot in strengthening areas in your drawing that you wouldn't think would have much relation to light source.

Keep your lines clean and sharp too. Nothing can drag down a piece more than fuzzy lines or unintended smudges. I keep a blank piece of paper under my drawing hand when I shade to make sure I'm not rubbing up against anything.

Also not to be nitpicky, but make sure you focus on facial symmetry. People are naturally drawn to faces, and will even see faces in objects that weren't meant to have one lol. It'll almost always be the focus either directly or indirectly, so make sure you use guidelines and what-not to keep them from looking wonky or lopsided.

Anyways, keep it up, you're looking good. And son't forget to post more in the AE lol

post moreeee breennn

you need to brag more and build up a huge ego for yourself. its what i do.. its fun
All in due of time J ;D
Classes start again tomorrow. So pumped

SKidd

Smash Master
Blowtoes, you are amazing.
Anime one was really cool.

You ghostly stud, you.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
@global-wolf Sorry! that was not my intention.

@Geist Thanks for the tips... I'll upload two+ more and PM you the links for some other advices about those, if you don't mind.

Evoke

Smash Apprentice
good stuff m8

Man some of that stuff is insane.
Some of the eyes looks just a little bit off, and the second grandchild one looks a bit weird, but the rest is solid.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
What sort of paper do you use for your graphite work Bren? There's a really nice looking texture on your portraits. Also how sharp do you keep your pencil? Thanks :D

Geist

Smash Master
What sort of paper do you use for your graphite work Bren? There's a really nice looking texture on your portraits. Also how sharp do you keep your pencil? Thanks :D
For the majority of them, I use a Canson 9x12 Universal Recycled Sketch pad. It has a nice grade and weight, and isn't too textured for recycled paper.
Keep your pencils very sharp at all times. I sometimes go through an entire pencil on a single drawing from keeping it constantly sharpened. Right after you sharpen it though, scribble a small line on a piece of scarp paper to get rid of that super sharp point, because it can rip or damage your paper.
Also, I generally use a 2H, HB, 2B and 4B pencil on my drawings. I can put down my entire arsenal of what I use on the OP if you want.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
For the majority of them, I use a Canson 9x12 Universal Recycled Sketch pad. It has a nice grade and weight, and isn't too textured for recycled paper.
Keep your pencils very sharp at all times. I sometimes go through an entire pencil on a single drawing from keeping it constantly sharpened. Right after you sharpen it though, scribble a small line on a piece of scarp paper to get rid of that super sharp point, because it can rip or damage your paper.
Also, I generally use a 2H, HB, 2B and 4B pencil on my drawings. I can put down my entire arsenal of what I use on the OP if you want.
That's really helpful :O Thanks! I haven't done a graphite piece in three years, I might do one soon.

And that would be great :D

Geist

Smash Master
I'm still working on coloring that one :[
But I was actually thinking of doing another one and incorporating it into my sig.

Top Bottom