• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TOs please read. An important project that requires your help. IT'S BEGUN!

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
starting Jan 1st 2011 and ending Dec 31st, I plan on overseeing a project that will hopefully show how popular each character is in the current metagame. but I need your help. I need TOs to post the characters that each and EVERY person used in tournament in the results thread. If a player used more than 2 please only list the 2 MOST used by that player in the tournament. if you don't know who they used PLEASE ask others. I want everyone's characters. not just top 8 or 16 or whatever. EVERYONE.

yes, I'm aware this is basically a popularity contest, but it gives meaningful insight into exactly how much of a chance you have of running into a specific character

I hope you guys are appreciating what I'm trying to do for the community and I hope you guys help out as well.

please and thanks.

-RIP

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
I feel like this could be broken down regionally as well, because there could be different ratios on say the west coast versus the east coast. That and each state's personal ruleset could influence the ratios slightly as well. I really doubt there would be a significant change, but it's possible.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Let the new metagame BEGIN!

mio

Smash Ace
-This is a plan to make a distribution chart of which characters are picked most often... sorry but do you realize how hard it is to make a statistical chart like this that's accurate? How will you deem this sample data to be accurate once you obtain it? Even if you obtain tons of tournament results, people pick up new characters or switch over all the time, so your data has the potential to become completely inaccurate from one month to the next, or even one tourney to the next. Not to mention, your distribution chart will be completely dependent upon the specific tourneys that you gather the results from (if you gather results from one area then there might be more MK players, another area might have more Snake/Wario players, etc.), which can also skew the accuracy of your finished project. Even expert statisticians would have lots of difficulty obtaining accurate data and making an accurate distribution chart for this sort of project.

-How valuable will these statistics actually be to tournament players who attend tournaments regularly and already know (generally speaking) how often each character is used? Simply so they can look up a chart and say "oh I need to study this match-up because I'm more likely to run into it"? People know that higher tiers are picked more often, and lower tiers are picked less often, so they should practice their match-ups against higher tiers more often, and for the lower tier match-ups they should mostly only focus on the match-ups they're uncomfortable or unfamiliar with. That's just common sense; a tournament player shouldn't really need a (possibly inaccurate) distribution chart to know what match-ups to practice. Under the right kind of tournament mentality, a tournament player should know through their performance what they really need to work on.

Not to be rude, but to me this project just doesn't seem all that important to the smash community. Organizing good tourneys and smashfests seems like a much more important project for the community at this point. I could be wrong though.

Top Bottom