• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Showdown in O-Town

PND

Smash Champion
MBR Ruleset:

MBR Recommended Rule Set
Super Smash Brothers: Melee (Singles and Teams)

This is the updated and simplified recommended rule set for Super Smash Bros. Melee. This rule set is strictly recommended in an effort to maintain an encompassing standard for our vast community. This rule set is not for copying into a tournament thread, as some small personal tweaks will still need to be addressed. These are dependent solely on the Tournament Host and any authorized assistance.

Stage List

Singles

Starter Stage List:
  • Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
  • Past Stages: Dream Land
  • Special Stages: Final Destination
  • Special Stages: Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
  • Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
  • Planet Zebes: Brinstar
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
  • Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

Teams

Starter Stage List:
  • Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
  • Past Stages: Dream Land
  • Special Stages: Final Destination
  • Special Stages: Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
  • Planet Zebes: Brinstar
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
  • Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

General Rules

• Items are set to off.
  • Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
  • Regular sets are best of 3 matches.
  • The Tournament Host is the arbiter of all disputes.
  • Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
  • Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
  • Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players and the Tournament Host agree to it, including banned stages. This can be used in tandem with the Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR).
  • Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.

Additional Rules for Teams Play
  • Life Stealing is allowed
  • Set team attack to ON

Redwood Counter Pick System

1. Blind Picks character selection.
  2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 2 1 order.
  3. The first match is played.
  4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
  5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
  6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
  7. The losing player picks character.
  8. The next match is played.
  9. Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.

Recommendations to Tournament Hosts

• Players are responsible for their own general welfare in regards to the tournament. In other words, players are responsible for:

1. Being familiar with the rule set and stage list
    2. Entrance and venue fees
    3. Arriving on time
    4. Maintaining personal hygiene
    5. Controllers and Character Knowledge
    6. Minimizing Johns

• Sets are usually based on brackets which may be seeded at the Tournament Host's discretion. If your tournament is any other format, make a note to advertise it accordingly.
  • Some kind of stalling prevention is highly recommended. Since a definition of stalling is too potentially ambiguous here, all instances of stalling are determined by the Tournament Host.
  • Unnecessary delays in a set should be discouraged. This can occur before (not playing a match) or during (taking an unnecessary amount of time to counter pick) and after (not reporting) a set that has been called. The Tournament Host is recommended to keep tabs on set completion.
  • No more than the previous match should be replayed in the event of a rule violation and it is recommended that any disputes be brought promptly and quickly to the Tournament Host's attention.
  • When running a pool, the game count of each set in pool play should be recorded (i.e. whether the set was 2-0 or 2-1). Ranking in a pool is determined by the number of sets won. In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker is the win/loss ratio of the individual games, where the higher ratio wins. In the event of a tie in both set victories and match-up ratios, the player who won the set between the disputed players should advance.
  • The semi-final and championship sets should be in at least best of 5 format.
  • Wireless controllers should be discouraged or banned because of interference, unreliability (battery life), and time hindrance.
  • The Tournament Host reserves the right at any time to make anyone leave the premises of the tournament.
  • For all Melee tournaments, use of the character Metaknight is banned.

PND

Smash Champion
What?:
Melee, all day, all night. Singles, doubles, and hopefully crews

Where?:
PND's House -- PM for Directions

When?:
January 1st, noon until midnight. . . or beyond. Events start at 3.

Who?:
Participants
1. PND
2. Linkshot
3. Vanitas (BC AL RETURNS!)
4. DAIKONOS
5. BL!TZ
6. Florence
7. HiDef
8. Charles
9. Tect
10. Kage the WARRIOR
11. MEGA

TV's:
1. PND & Crew
2. PND & Crew
3. PND & Crew
4. PND & Crew
5. PND & Crew
6. Linkshot (If needed)

Cubes/Wiis
1. PND & Crew
2. PND & Crew
3. Linkshot
4. BL!TZ

How?:
See MBR rules in first post.

How much?:
$5 entry for singles
$10 for doubles ($5 per person)

Why?:
Because Melee ****ing Rocks

---

CONFIRM YOURSELVES! GOGOGO! HYPE HYPE HYPE!

Linkshot

Smash Hero
It's mostly 64 and Melee here now, but Gaming Ottawa plans to host a Brawl Tournament.

EDIT:

Ugggggggggggh I want more stages ;-;
7-starter,
at least
Poke Floats and Corneria CP please D:

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Confirm me and my brother. I'll bring a Gamecube and Melee. I should be able to bring a VCR and tapes to record matches.

tect

Smash Journeyman
Hype-ity hype! I'll totally be there =D

But does it have to be New Years? Don't change it lol since that's what's expected.

Hangover johns.

GPWN! plz team with me but if you dump me for reggie then i guess that's cool too =(

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Hype-ity hype! I'll totally be there =D

But does it have to be New Years? Don't change it lol since that's what's expected.

Hangover johns.

GPWN! plz team with me but if you dump me for reggie then i guess that's cool too =(
Idk if Reggie is going but me and Jason will come for sure. =)

Also, there should be also a bunch more from Montreal going to this at the same time.. gonna be pretty sweet.

Diakonos got this!

EDIT: Manuel should have to use falcon for the entire winners bracket.
LOL you wish. My falcon > his falcon > your falcon. hahaha.

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero

Also, there should be also a bunch more from Montreal going to this at the same time.. gonna be pretty sweet.

LMFAO! Damn Kage, that's quite the claim. I know ur just trollin me and all, but I'd bet any amount of money that I would beat you OR manuel for that matter, in a falcon ditto set. I have 100% confidence in that.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
LMFAO! Damn Kage, that's quite the claim. I know ur just trollin me and all, but I'd bet any amount of money that I would beat you OR manuel for that matter, in a falcon ditto set. I have 100% confidence in that.
100% confidence? You going to Pound 5 right? I'll test that out, I'll beat you with my Falcon and then repeat history like at TCT2. lol.

PND

Smash Champion
Sick, so stoked for this. If Montreal is coming we gotta get TO to come out as well. Crews, anyone?

Charlesz

Smash Champion

DAMNNNN Kage getting off w/o playing looooooool. I hope you can make it man.

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
100% confidence? You going to Pound 5 right? I'll test that out, I'll beat you with my Falcon and then repeat history like at TCT2. lol.
Unfortunately, I won't have my new passport by the time Pound 5 rolls around. I am however, going to attend Genesis 2 without a shadow of a doubt. We will settle things there if you'd care to show up =)

EDIT: By the way, get at my 2006 signature Roustane!

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
Side bets 20 $ on Kage vs noobking, falcon ditto.

Also, what's the temptative schedule?
I should be hungover on the 1st. I also don't care about melee anymore. But I'd like to play teams for sure. Pew pew and stuff

PND

Smash Champion
I'll be mad hungover as well, but I have the day off work, so it's the best possible day for me.

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
LS, I play mostly Street fighter these days. I can't stand more than 2-3 hours of melee, once every 2-3 weeks, usually because I want to chill with people, otherwise I'd never play. I sandbag more than before too (so much that Diakonos passes behind me when I play teams and says sarcastically "What is this, winners grand finals?! LOLOL ME SOO MIGHTY!". And when there are too many stations, I just sit on the sidelines and drink beer.

PND

Smash Champion
T'was the before Christmas, and all through the scene
Our EC Falcons losing was a WC pipe dream
Our Falcons are manly and stylish with knees
WC can't DI, their players are free
If they underestimate us, well then, they're dead
Those wild BC drugs must have gone to their heads.
Daikonos enjoyed his 613 romp
Hitting f smashes, and uairs, and taunting, and stomps
And to no surprise, but who should appear?
Montreal guys, all groggy (but with beer!)
The ****** commenced, there was 3 stocks galore
WC got salty and threw controllers to the floor
Daikonos and Noobking may be the best of their bunch
But the Warrior will slay them, and that's not just a hunch
With Kage and PKM there's no way we can lose
So bring it on chumps, and "Show me your moves"

Merry X-Mas y'all :bee:

Diakonos

Smash Lord
LOL.

It's unfortunate you should say that. I have beaten Kage every time I've played him in tournament.
Funny rhymes though

Also, are we having Rainbow Cruise allowed in this tournament? Seems kinda silly to me :p

Divinokage

Smash Legend
LOL.

It's unfortunate you should say that. I have beaten Kage every time I've played him in tournament.
Funny rhymes though

Also, are we having Rainbow Cruise allowed in this tournament? Seems kinda silly to me :p
Basing yourself off the past will be your undoing!

Diakonos

Smash Lord
LOL that sounds like it's taken straight from Soul Calibur.

The point is it'll be fun

Top Bottom