• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Match-Up Chart v2

t3h Icy

Smash Master
From Phanna's original concept to Worldjem7's updated chart, to mine most recently to this new one by me again, I present the new project of the Melee Match-up Chart.

The previous failed attempt can be viewed here. It's cluttered with old discussion, half-attempts and poor organization, which resulted in a sloppy chart.

The difference between this and the previous is a different layout style, no attempts at changing to a numerical system, and better organization.

What is a match-up chart and what is it for? A match-up chart displays all the characters on the horizontal and on the vertical, creating a grid. At each point of the grid is a number from +3 to -3. These represent >>>, >>, >, =, <, << and <<<, and explain the difficulty of the match-up based on character and stage when performed by top players.

This match-up chart is for a general reference to those unfamiliar with characters, a place to learn the wonderful world of people's opinions, of the characters' abilities against one another, and for the sake of completion. Also, I have fun with organizing and analyzing stuff. If this project is ever completed and works out well, it may also be used for creating a Tier List.

On to this chart, we use the (dis)advantage system, which separates match-ups into 7 categories. Due to problems with people agreeing on how much each category should represent, I created simple examples for people to base their opinions off of:

= (Marth vs Fox, Fox vs Falco, Sheik vs Falco, etc)
> / < (Fox vs Sheik, Sheik vs Marth, Fox vs Jigglypuff)
>> / << (Sheik vs Ganondorf, Peach vs Ice Climbers)
>>> / <<< (Sheik vs Zelda, Marth vs Bowser, Fox vs Kirby)

These are concrete, and I expect that these ranges are used for any suggestions coming in.

Wobbling is considered banned for this project. If legal Wobbling becomes more common, that may be changed. For now, Ice Climbers' match-ups are based on Wobbling being illegal.

Likewise with category problems from before are stage problems, so I've created six charts; one for each of the main stages, which will lead to a total mess, but also a ton of information for those that are interested. I will also add Brinstar, Rainbow Cruise and Kongo Jungle if those stages stay legal (they're currently being discussed). Also if enough effort is put into this, I'll reflect it back with making some formulas to get an overall chart.

Due to the size, the chart is spoilered:

Slowly, we'll go through these and make changes. The base is from the old advantage system chart. Obviously a bunch will be wrong, but instead of flaming and hurting yourself, just make a suggestion with information, and I'll consider it. The base chart is also the same for all six stages currently.

When you suggest something to be changed I greatly appreciate it being in this format:

Character X vs Character Y:
Final Destination (Symbol)
Battlefield (Symbol)
Dreamland (Symbol)
Fountain of Dreams (Symbol)
Yoshi's Story (Symbol)
Pokemon Stadium (Symbol)

[Explanation]

So for example:

Roy vs Fox:
Final Destination <<
Battlefield <<
Dreamland <<<
Fountain of Dreams <<
Yoshi's Story <<
Pokemon Stadium <<<

Because Roy has t3h p41r3.

Feel free to make multiples of these per post. Using this format would be much easier for me to collect data this way, and much easier for people to flame your dumb opinions. Please don't use numbers such as 55-45 or 30-70, etc for this chart. Once a consensus is formed and discussion is completed about any new suggestions, I'll have it pending for the next time I update the chart (which will be relatively often).

As the metagame of this game always changes, this project will be constantly on-going, so feel free to visit in the event of new discoveries, ideas or new levels of perfection.

Let's see how this goes.

Update History:

December 23rd, 2010: Initial Chart
December 27th, 2010: Re-organized and new graphics

john!

Smash Hero
hope this turns out well...

it's never gonna be perfect, but that's to be expected.

also (at the risk of sounding elitist) i think that the opinions of professionals should be taken a bit more seriously than the opinions of some random on the boards. just saying...

:131:

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
My opinions on G&W, will probably edit according to how people view < << and such

Fox

Final Destination <
Battlefield <
Dreamland <<
Fountain of Dreams <
Yoshi's Story <
Pokemon Stadium <<

Sheik

Final Destination <<
Battlefield <<
Dreamland <<
Fountain of Dreams <
Yoshi's Story <
Pokemon Stadium <

Falco

Final Destination <
Battlefield <
Dreamland <<
Fountain of Dreams <
Yoshi's Story <
Pokemon Stadium <<

Marf

Final Destination <
Battlefield <
Dreamland =
Fountain of Dreams =
Yoshi's Story <
Pokemon Stadium =

Jiggs

Final Destination <
Battlefield <
Dreamland <<
Fountain of Dreams =
Yoshi's Story =
Pokemon Stadium <

Falcon

Final Destination <
Battlefield =
Dreamland <
Fountain of Dreams >
Yoshi's Story =
Pokemon Stadium =

Peach

Final Destination <
Battlefield <
Dreamland <<
Fountain of Dreams <
Yoshi's Story <
Pokemon Stadium <

Ganon

Final Destination =
Battlefield <
Dreamland <
Fountain of Dreams =
Yoshi's Story <
Pokemon Stadium <

IC

Final Destination <
Battlefield <
Dreamland <
Fountain of Dreams =
Yoshi's Story =
Pokemon Stadium <

Samus

Final Destination <
Battlefield <
Dreamland <
Fountain of Dreams </=
Yoshi's Story <
Pokemon Stadium <

Doc

Final Destination <
Battlefield <
Dreamland <
Fountain of Dreams <
Yoshi's Story <
Pokemon Stadium <<

Mario

Final Destination =
Battlefield <
Dreamland =
Fountain of Dreams <
Yoshi's Story <
Pokemon Stadium <

Luigi

Final Destination <
Battlefield <
Dreamland <
Fountain of Dreams <
Yoshi's Story <
Pokemon Stadium <

DK

Final Destination =
Battlefield <
Dreamland <
Fountain of Dreams >
Yoshi's Story =
Pokemon Stadium =/<

Pika(scum)

Final Destination =
Battlefield =
Dreamland =
Fountain of Dreams =
Yoshi's Story =
Pokemon Stadium =

YL

Final Destination <
Battlefield =
Dreamland <
Fountain of Dreams =/>
Yoshi's Story =
Pokemon Stadium <

Link

Final Destination <
Battlefield =
Dreamland =
Fountain of Dreams =
Yoshi's Story =
Pokemon Stadium =

Zelda

Final Destination =
Battlefield =
Dreamland <
Fountain of Dreams =
Yoshi's Story =
Pokemon Stadium =

G&W

Final Destination =
Battlefield =
Dreamland =
Fountain of Dreams >>>>
Yoshi's Story =
Pokemon Stadium =

M2

Final Destination <
Battlefield =
Dreamland <
Fountain of Dreams >
Yoshi's Story >
Pokemon Stadium =

Yoshi

Final Destination >
Battlefield >
Dreamland =
Fountain of Dreams >
Yoshi's Story =
Pokemon Stadium =

Roy

Final Destination =
Battlefield >
Dreamland >
Fountain of Dreams >
Yoshi's Story >
Pokemon Stadium >

Ness

Final Destination >
Battlefield >
Dreamland >
Fountain of Dreams >
Yoshi's Story >
Pokemon Stadium >

Kirby

Final Destination >>
Battlefield >>
Dreamland >>
Fountain of Dreams >
Yoshi's Story >
Pokemon Stadium >>

Bowser

Final Destination >
Battlefield >
Dreamland >
Fountain of Dreams >>
Yoshi's Story >
Pokemon Stadium >

Pichu

Final Destination >
Battlefield >
Dreamland >
Fountain of Dreams >>
Yoshi's Story >
Pokemon Stadium >

Edit: falco vs G&W is bad, but on most stages it's not unwinnable. some << but YS/FoD are easy < while BF is closer to <<

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
DK vs Fox is even on FD

Roy vs Fox is less ****, still Fox advantage but not by that much. 55/60.

Urgh this is so much ****, I'll just have Mexican post here lol

VGmasta

Smash Lord
Well, I definitely like the 5-level chart system better than the 7-level. Using that 7-level scale was just too messy because of how knit-picky people were about >> vs >>> in low tier match-ups.

Since it's only a 5-level chart, I'll just use the double arrows if I feel the matchup is extreme for one character towards the other. For example, Marth vs. Kirby would be when I decide to use the double arrow:
Marth >> Kirby

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Sveet said:
Marth
|_vs._____| FoD| BF | YS | DL | FD | PS
+----------------------------------------
|_Fox_____| 55 | 50 | 55 | 40 | 60 | 45
|_Sheik___| 40 | 45 | 45 | 40 | 45 | 45
|_Falco___| 50 | 55 | 55 | 45 | 50 | 45
|_Jiggly__| 50 | 50 | 60 | 45 | 50 | 55
|_Falcon__| 60 | 50 | 55 | 40 | 45 | 50
|_Peach___| 55 | 60 | 60 | 45 | 55 | 55
|_Ganon___| 60 | 50 | 50 | 55 | 55 | 50
|_ICs_____| -- | -- | -- | -- | -- | --
|_Doc_____| 60 | 60 | 60 | 50 | 55 | 55
|_Samus___| 55 | 60 | 60 | 55 | 55 | 60

I have almost never played Marth vs ICs so I didnt even bother giving a bad guess. Puff is my second least played in this list.

5 is my unit of advantage. A 50 match-up is approximately even. It won't be exactly even (impossible outside of mirrors) but the players will play the biggest role. A 55 match-up is a slight advantage. Definitely winnable but will take some work. 60 is gonna be rough. I would consider this unwinnable without having a skill gap over your opponent. I don't have much experience with match-ups that are outside of this range....
reposting .

Conversions:
50 is =
55 is >
60 is >>

idea

Smash Master
although the extra info is nice, for the moment i think it's best to exclude stages. maybe those could be added in at a later date but it seems like it's more important to fill out most of the chart with advantages first. also good **** icy =D

LOL kk that was silly <_< i'll have to rematch you with falco vs. jiggs at some point. it is one of my weaker matchups so i could see it being in jiggs' favour too. for the moment i'll leave my opinion at even.

i kinda like playing not jiggs vs. people's jiggs anyway. ...it's just kind of dumb till i get used to it <_<

reposting:

Idea said:
puff < fox
puff = falco
puff > sheik
puff >= marth (I would put it as 55/45...significantly harder than sheik, but still in jiggs' favour...)
puff > falcon
puff > peach

less sure about:
puff = ganon
puff ? ICs (I've only played one ICs in tournament, and it was Wobbles.)
puff = doc
puff >= samus
puff > mario
puff > pikachu

and after that i just don't really know what i'm talking about. but i could make educated guesses.

heh, i started typing in numbers at first. if my >= doesn't work with the chart, just make it =. in fact, just read those as = and i'll leave them in for clarification.

idea

Smash Master
it had a bunch of them, but not most, and they were in numbered form. as i understand it, the new chart is in

< > = format

and the old numbers don't necessarily transfer over because people might change their minds when trying to think about their character's mathcups in a new format. but in theory you could convert the whole old chart. i dunno, i don't really want to make icy do any more work =P

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Before the numbered approach we just had advantages. I think this list is an extension of that list in a way that could gather more useful information.

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
uhhhh i can explain my reasoning on the matchups if you ask me specifically one each one... but i'm not gonna explain for every matchup on every stage x.x

t3h Icy

Smash Master
It really just hit me with how many match-ups there are, and since I don't want to distract discussion by constantly posting pending updates, I'll do it once a week or something, where we can discuss match-ups and decide what should be changed in between.

Good stuff. t3h Icy for mod because of RoM 3 updates, DGDTJ updates, and this. :)
I've done a lot more than that if you look around. ;D But I won't rant.

also (at the risk of sounding elitist) i think that the opinions of professionals should be taken a bit more seriously than the opinions of some random on the boards. just saying...

:131:
That's not elitist, that's just common sense.

do I need to re post m2's?
Stage information would be nice. :3

My opinions on G&W, will probably edit according to how people view < << and such

[Stuff]
Thanks a lot for all the info, but I have to ask quite a few things. For one, is G&W and Falcon actually close to even, and does G&W actually give Falcon trouble on FoD? Likewise, is Bowser on FoD with G&W extremely difficult to win? And is Marth relatively even with G&W?

I don't know G&W at all, but I think I speak for more than just myself when some enlightenment would be nice. I'll also ask QERB is he wants to help out.

is it really necessary to discuss how matchups vary on what we consider to be neutral stages?
Holy unnecessary chart, Batman!
It can shift a match-up, and it's nice for informational purposes. I never said this would be quick and easy to do. =P

Roy vs Pichu/G&W on YS is ****. D-tilt->reverse blazer gimp kills from anywhere on the stage xD
Is it actually that easy to land? That'd be pretty sweet if so.

Urgh this is so much ****, I'll just have Mexican post here lol
lol, sounds good.

Well, I definitely like the 5-level chart system better than the 7-level. Using that 7-level scale was just too messy because of how knit-picky people were about >> vs >>> in low tier match-ups.

Since it's only a 5-level chart, I'll just use the double arrows if I feel the matchup is extreme for one character towards the other. For example, Marth vs. Kirby would be when I decide to use the double arrow:
Marth >> Kirby
People should read this post.

reposting .

Conversions:
50 is =
55 is >
60 is >>
Umm, I set 50 and 55 to "=" and 60 to >. >> is for matches that are stupid impossible, like when Bowser attempts to beat Marth but just ends up blocking all his attacks with his face. Is that fine for you or do you want to make changes?

Idea, i thought the old chart had all the advantages already?
There's two charts there, one that was a failed attempt using numbers since people begged for it for ages (and then didn't help do it, lol), and the 7-level chart is a bit outdated now. The main problem was converting from 7 to 5, hence there's a big mess at the moment.

Thanks for all the thoughts so far guys. =)

t3h Icy

Smash Master
uhhhh i can explain my reasoning on the matchups if you ask me specifically one each one... but i'm not gonna explain for every matchup on every stage x.x
Understandable, but there's a few things that stick out like I mentioned above. ^

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
All those G&W advantage/disadvantages look correct if the opponent has no idea how to fight G&W.

Literally standing there and reacting to what G&W does completely destroys him with most of the high tiers. I can see no way at all that something like marth vs G&W is anything but >>. By shielding, wavedashing, grabbing, and poking at G&W he hardly has ANY way he can do anything at all to marth... it's really pathetic. I can't believe most of those, and no, I'm not underrating G&W because I've never used him/seen a good one. People simply aren't willing to go to the extent which makes the character almost useless in most higher tier matchups.

Anyway:

Falco vs. Marth

Final Destination: =
Yoshi's Story: =
Battlefield: =
Fountain of Dreams: =
Pokemon Stadium: =
Dreamland 64: =

None of the stages make the matchup quite as bad as sheik vs ganon, or fox vs falcon. Under the current advantage system, I can't justify saying that either has any sort of advantage over the other.

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
Marth:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=285342 (2-3 hour chat between j00t/me/kirbykaze/others

Basically marth has some really annoying tech chasing with dthrow/fthrow, If G&W gets inside it can very well be a stock due to how well we combo him, if he's off the stage and we know what we're doing, dair will hit his sweet spot and dtilt hits everything else for edge guarding. We decided it's a 60-40 with stage striking, cause we don't have to play on YS/BF first round and we can cp him to one of our better ones (FoD/brimstar/KJ64) for an easyish win.

It's just a matchup that looks horrid.

G&W vs falcon is about a 55/45 in falcon's favor... they just freaking combo each other all day. dthrow knee is the only thing that gives falcon a chance... and it's good enough to give him the advantage. One grab/dtilt/dair at low-mid %'s leads into anything... really... ANYTHING. Grab at mid/high % = nair = kill. Falcon can't recover against that giant parachute. If they recover low at lower %'s you hit them with late fair (so they don't move much) double jump strong fair. If they try to nair approach you for some reason just jump back and fair... works stupidly well

Note: DL64 and FD are TERRIBLE for G&W, and give falcon a huge advantage. but not quite <<. FoD is borderline even/>, but i gave it to him, lately i've been feeling like this matchup is really even if the falcon knows the matchup, if they don't it's realllly hard for them to get in x.x

Falcon has... dthrow knee from stupidly low% to stupidly high%. uair juggles if they can launch you (this is what makes FD/DL64 really hard) and utilt edge guards? Some good speed if they have a stage they can run around on.

It's a fun matchup, but basically you just combo each other to death hard, and G&W has to read an approach (nair/grab) to get the win, where Falcon has to make the G&W mess his read up to get the win... it's fast and punishment heavy

Bowser on FoD i've never actually played. But I've been playing a lot as bowser lately (had a smasher at my house for a week and i wanted to learn new chars) and FoD is kinda rough, high ceiling (up-b OoS) rough platform levels (you get hit from ANYTHING on those platforms) bad blastzones (side short, top/bottom big) and it just works against him, whereas all of that stuff helps G&W. It's between > and >> really. FD is between the 2 as well since bowser can't play that level... period

idea

Smash Master
oh, so you did want stages. my bad for not reading the op <_< i'll add in jigglypuff stage opinions later.

it might also be good, though, to make one that averages all the stages, just so people can have one chart they can look at more easily. not everyone would want to look through six charts...i mean part of the reason the last chart failed was that it was excessively detailed. it makes sense to me for there to be a simplified, streamlined option (while still keeping the six stage ones for more detail).

t3h Icy

Smash Master
None of the stages make the matchup quite as bad as sheik vs ganon, or fox vs falcon. Under the current advantage system, I can't justify saying that either has any sort of advantage over the other.
I think you're looking at it from the wrong side of things. The question is more if they're worse than Sheik/Fox. Perhaps FD in Marth's favor?

t3h Icy

Smash Master
oh, so you did want stages. my bad for not reading the op <_< i'll add in jigglypuff stage opinions later.

it might also be good, though, to make one that averages all the stages, just so people can have one chart they can look at more easily. not everyone would want to look through six charts...i mean part of the reason the last chart failed was that it was excessively detailed. it makes sense to me for there to be a simplified, streamlined option (while still keeping the six stage ones for more detail).
I mentioned this in the OP; I'll make a total chart reflecting the stages once significant progress has been made.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
I guess I wouldn't say that FD gives marth an advantage anymore than DL64 gives falco an advantage. I suppose it is a bit worse than sheik vs fox, but not significantly. I'm not sure to what degree I can change it from "=" to ">".

If it becomes:

Falco vs marth
FD: <
DL64:>

I wouldn't really see that changing much in the overall matchup, I guess? Especially since each of those is the respective characters' ban in the MU. It's a bit worse than sheik/fox, not sure how much; your judgment is what ends up mattering on this regardless.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
@icy. m2's MU's won't change based on stage using this format.

his << MU's are still bad and mewtwo stays about the same because he benefits from all stage types (neutral).

so for FD, FoD, BF, DL, PS its what I posted. on ys...falco and ganon are >> imo.

m2 is typically considered bad because he still has some gawd awful mU's with high tiers. vs mid tiers and higher low tiers he has a slight disadvantage, imo not noteworthy of < which was reserved for MU's which are considered bad.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i believe ic's being disadvantaged vs marth, ganon, and samus is an outdated concept. fox and falco are way harder than those chars

i'd give marth, ganon, and samus an =

i'll post more about my reasoning later

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I wouldn't really see that changing much in the overall matchup, I guess? Especially since each of those is the respective characters' ban in the MU. It's a bit worse than sheik/fox, not sure how much; your judgment is what ends up mattering on this regardless.
I'm planning a formula which factors this in.

@icy. m2's MU's won't change based on stage using this format.

his << MU's are still bad and mewtwo stays about the same because he benefits from all stage types (neutral).

so for FD, FoD, BF, DL, PS its what I posted. on ys...falco and ganon are >> imo.

m2 is typically considered bad because he still has some gawd awful mU's with high tiers. vs mid tiers and higher low tiers he has a slight disadvantage, imo not noteworthy of < which was reserved for MU's which are considered bad.
So you're saying that stage doesn't matter for Mewtwo at all?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Umm, I set 50 and 55 to "=" and 60 to >. >> is for matches that are stupid impossible, like when Bowser attempts to beat Marth but just ends up blocking all his attacks with his face. Is that fine for you or do you want to make changes?
I really disagree with 55 being set to even. 55 is a slight advantage. 55-60 should be slight advantage and beyond that should be advantage.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
@ teh icy: I'm guessing = doesn't necessarily mean the match up is equal, so much as it's not a clear advantage for said character.

< would mean that there's a clear advantage in the match-up and << would mean it's a pretty bad match-up

am I correct with this new format?

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I really disagree with 55 being set to even. 55 is a slight advantage. 55-60 should be slight advantage and beyond that should be advantage.
That's what was lose when going from 7 to 5 categories. It's also difficult to determine whether a match-up is exactly equal (roughly anyway) or not.

@ teh icy: I'm guessing = doesn't necessarily mean the match up is equal, so much as it's not a clear advantage for said character.

< would mean that there's a clear advantage in the match-up and << would mean it's a pretty bad match-up

am I correct with this new format?
Yes, Fox/Sheik is the borders for =.

Top Bottom