• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HexInsert 1.1 - SFX replacement without a hex editor

libertyernie

Smash Ace
HexInsert
current version: 1.1 - Download

HexInsert is a very simple Java program to replace portions of a file with the contents of another file. It was made for SFX replacement in smashbros_sound.brsar, so people don't have to use hex editors anymore.
You can edit the Offsets.txt with lines in the format:
Code:
Name_of_file.hex xHEXVALUE
If you omit the "x" before the number, it will be treated as a decimal value.

The program will ask for a file to "Open" (and start in My Documents, which I might change once I figure out how.) It now starts in the directory that the .jar is in. (This is the only change in 1.1 IIRC.) Choose the smashbros_sound.brsar you want to replace. It will then ask "are you sure?" It modifies the file you choose directly - you should probably make a backup first.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
HexReplace is a cool name, but you should have called it "AboutDamnTime"

I'm VERY happy to see this finally made. Awesome job! ^_^b

libertyernie

Smash Ace
Jaklub's program actually converts the .wav files for you. Mine just inserts hex data, but it could potentially be used for many things.

I never understood what the "fix" with the 32 bytes was. Could someone explain it to me, and also why it isn't needed for, say, the Mewtwo pack?

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
Okay, tested it on PAL smashbros_sound.brsar. Inserted kwrk85's King sounds. Works.

Great job with the tool.

u got served

Smash Rookie
Is there a tutorial or something for this because im not really sure how or what im meant to add/edit in order to use this.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
I tried inserting Mewtwo's SFX and it didn't work. My Brawl disc is really screwed up and that may be the problem (Japanese voices work with few characters and only occasionally even though I have the full brsar and sometimes vertex hacks don't work) so I'll try getting it buffed and see if that works.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
You could try copying the .brsar, editing one manually (with a hex editor) and the other by using HexInsert, then checking their md5sums. They should be the same.

Top Bottom