• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link's Ledge Options.

MJG

Smash Hero
Before going into deep discussion with this topic, I wanted to see if enough people were even interested in discussing Ledge Options/Tactics when it comes to game play. Getting back on stage is an issue for TL and being able to decrease one more issue for TL will only help our metagame further evenmore.

Thoughts?

:toonlink:

NearZzz

Smash Lord
I'm all for this as well. Ledge game is one of the weakest aspects of my game, and def. something I need to work on.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
This topic was eventually going to be discussed in the guide, but if people were going to discuss it here anyway, it'll help get the guide done quicker as I can just use this thread to get everyone's input. So if this thread actually kicks off, I won't have to ask for input through my thread and this will act as the guide's discussion. Which means that any posts I use from here will go towards credit in the guide.

More towards the point of this thread, I've known about this problem for quite some time now and I've worked on my own ledge game since then, first by thiniking of new tactics and then by applying them in friendlies. I feel a lot more confident now in saying that it's no longer a problem for me. My current tactics are a bit strange though and I honestly don't feel like they would be accepted with much enthusiasm. It's not a specific tactic exactly, it's more that I make use of extra options on the ledge that seem like a bad idea. I may let you in on them later, but you really have to have an open mind about it.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I can't believe this hasn't started yet.

Toon's ledge options.... where to begin...

If I'm returning on stage I will generally use the ledge hop or the double jump back on stage. These are mixed up with attacks or airdodges. Toon's other options such as doing a ledge attack, returning with a bomb, rolling etc, all involve actually returning to the stage. But this is only half the story. Has anyone ever considered simply not returning to stage as a legitimate option? You see, if one of your mix ups is not going on stage, then the options that involve actually getting on stage will become less predictable and will work more often. This isn't just theory craft, this actually works for me.

So what do I mean by not going on stage? One option that will no doubt come to mind for most of you will be the re-tether. This option imo, doesn't seem to be as effective simply because it's over quite quickly and you only have three of them. This is because essentially, what you're trying to do when you use the options that don't go on stage is either bait a response or get them off their guard for when you do actually return to stage. Other options that might come to mind are pulling out a bomb then going back on the ledge or hitting away from the edge throwing a boomerang then returning to the edge. Again, these options aren't that great because it makes you vulnerable because when you're bomb pulling or boomerang throwing, you are left with no options and a lot of lag. So what else could I be suggesting? It's simple, a little too simple. You hit away from the edge when you still have invincibility, drop for a bit doing nothing, then at the right time, you double jump back towards the lip of the stage and auto snap on to the ledge from the maximum distance below the ledge. I know right? But just hear me out.

The reason why this works is because it leaves you with many more options compared to the bomb pull or rang toss for example and it's the perfect bait. Not only that, but it's surprisingly safe if you space it correctly. Opponents won't be able to hit you from the stage even if they are right on the edge. You'd be surprised how far away from the edge you can be and still snap on. Now I know what you're thinking, but this idea is just begging for a stage spike or any other type of spike for that matter. Exactly. People are more than likely to try and go off stage and hit you somehow. So what's the plan? If you do try this too many times and they do fall for the bait, you can double jump early quite easily on reaction and airdodge on-stage. Or, you can double jump U-air them, keeping in mind that our U-air beats almost every Dair in the game (except for like Lucario and on some angles Link). Or, you can double jump and stall the timing of your recovery with a tether (depending on the character, this has worked for me). They edgehog? Uair will beat it. They wait for you to double jump then try to hit you? Uair will still work or you can airdodge the attack (to tether) or you can stop your double jump with the tether. It's not actually that hard. Now I'm not suggesting that you tempt fate every time and simply wait for them to respond, that's where the other side of it comes in. Not returning not only baits responses, but it also puts them off their guard for any other options. If you've done one or two of these, an attack is more likely to hit them and a ledgehop is more likely to not be punished.

If you can bait a response, Toon has the tools to turn the situation around and you'll find yourself doing the edge guarding. If you throw in one of these every now and then and they don't take the bait, your other options are more likely to work and you'll get back on stage just fine.

I can't explain everything and there's no doubt in my mind that I've missed something (try to fill in the obvious gaps for yourselves), but if there are any questions, just ask. Give it a go in some friendlies, if it doesn't work for you, then don't use it. It works for me, that's all I'm saying. You've heard it before, don't be predictable, and that goes for this too. Use every option you have even if it means not going back on stage.

Maybe others will have better ideas. If you think you do, please share.

Lobos

Smash Master
Agreed @ fox......sometimes its just better to not return on the stage right away. Depending on the character and situation either delay returning on the stage or play keep away and just wait for an safe opening to return back on stage.

MJG

Smash Hero
One of my new issues that I have had in my previous tournaments is the fact that I don't want to go over the LGL,so I feel obligated to get back on stage ASAP. I just need to be more patient on the ledge. There are some Ledge Options that I came up with and I think Twink came up with some of them as well (it was on BF). Ill post them soon enough..

EDIT: I just read your post. One of the many things that I do as well is to re-tether so that I can try to force a reaction from the opponent. I like all your options tbh lol.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Yeah, I didn't mention it before, but before I was stuffing around with those options (revolving around just stalling with an empty double jump), one thing I tried was baiting responses with the tether by just hanging there, and when they react either snapping to the edge or hitting down then double jumping to whatever. Bad idea. It just doesn't work that well in practise. You might get it to work once (especially if you use the hitting down option) but it just seemed to get punished too much. That's where I started developing the new stalling/baiting tactic.

@~mjg~: You actually bring up a good point about the ledge grab limit. Because in Aus we don't really have a stalling on the edge problem (not as many MK's for example), I've never seen the rule enforced (not to say that it doesn't happen, but the odds are, many people have gotten away with too many ledge grabs by now without knowing because it just isn't checked). I actually don't know how many ledge grabs I do a match using this tactic. Next time I play I'll check the ledge grab count and if it's over I'll have to re-think things a bit. I honestly doubt it'd be over though, just because it takes a long time to float down then jump back, I mean, compare three of them to three re-tethers in a row. But yeah, I can see that you'd have a big issue with Toon's ledge options if you feel rushed. That'll get punished hard almost every time.
Tell us about these ledge options you came up with. I'm intrigued now.

Can I just say, I'm impressed. People read that long post? Maybe I should post more often...

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I suppose depending on the ledge, like Yoshi's Island, or Frigate, another option one has is to drop down slightly, wall jump, and proceed to harass with Bair. Or you can semi-stall with wall jumps, though be wary that excessive abuse with this is easily punished. Just a thought.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I suppose depending on the ledge, like Yoshi's Island, or Frigate, another option one has is to drop down slightly, wall jump, and proceed to harass with Bair. Or you can semi-stall with wall jumps, though be wary that excessive abuse with this is easily punished. Just a thought.
From my own experience, this option is quite risky and I usually try to avoid it. I'm not saying don't use it at all, I've already said previously to try and use all options (just use the worse ones much less often of course). Sometimes like on the right side of picto it just does it anyway if you forget about it, like I always do... I hate it when that happens.
But yeah, it's like a ledge jump, so you keep your double jump, only you no longer have tether as an option cause you're facing the wrong way.
I will say this though, it definitely has potential to be a great option (you've gotta love Bair), it just has to be used properly, which may be where I'm going wrong for all I know. Does anyone use the wall jump option frequently? If so let's hear your thoughts on it.
Oh and I almost forgot, wall jumps can be used on many more stages than previously mentioned like BF, only you won't have your double jump. Just think Instant Wall Jump AT.

MJG

Smash Hero
This was C/P from an IM with Twink in mid 2010:

Black Dwag7 (12:19:53 AM): Wall Jump>Arrow (sexy way of gimping). Wall Jump> Fast Fall Fair (Recover using Up-B immediately if this is done). Wall Jump>Bomb Throw. Wall Jump> Boomerang. Wall Jump> Bair (If the "Instant Wall Jump" is performed, then using Dair right after Bair should be possible. Wall Jump> Zair (Land behind the opponent and zair them. This one is kind of thrown up in the air. I would probably try to use it if they were too close to the ledge). Wall Jump> Air Dodge> Fast Fall> Grounded Up B

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Yeah, though as Fox mentioned, it can be risky if the oppoent predicts it well, as we will then leave ourselves at the mercy of a nasty stage spike. However, the good news is that TL's ledge options are so versatile, we can be unpredictable and thus make such an option not easy to predict anyway. ~mjg~'s post is a good example of this. :3

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I REALLY like dropping off, pulling a bomb, throwing it up, regrabing the ledge, then instant throwing it.

That's all I got.

Oh and DEMONIC ZAIR!!!

I use the demonic zair quite often actually, when enemies stand still JUST outside of your ledge attack range. It's a shame that the only stage that it works well on is BF. :ohwell:

MJG

Smash Hero
Does anyone ever try to just dropping off a ledge and instantly wall jump + bair?

This...?

This was C/P from an IM with Twink in mid 2010:

Black Dwag7 (12:19:53 AM): Wall Jump>Arrow (sexy way of gimping). Wall Jump> Fast Fall Fair (Recover using Up-B immediately if this is done). Wall Jump>Bomb Throw. Wall Jump> Boomerang. Wall Jump> Bair (If the "Instant Wall Jump" is performed, then using Dair right after Bair should be possible. Wall Jump> Zair (Land behind the opponent and zair them. This one is kind of thrown up in the air. I would probably try to use it if they were too close to the ledge). Wall Jump> Air Dodge> Fast Fall> Grounded Up B
If so then yea.

That works well too, especially on Battlefield. If you do it just from the very bottom of the lip, and Bair immediately, you can safely hit above the stage since the hitbox on TL's bair reaches higher than TL's head. He can poke through the stage with his Bair before his head pokes through.

Reference.

Dang, ninja'd.

KazeKun

Smash Apprentice
If you opponent is stay near the edge to edgeguard you, you have the option, when the opponents try to force an reaction, during you are on the edge. You can Footstool him. Perform the normal Jump on the edge and hit rejump crazy, you will immediately footstool him. ITs one of the option is use.

Another thing is empty double Jump to Fast Fall airdodge, befor you land Zair (for no landing lag) direct Uptilt or spotdodge like hell. WE should take advantage of our Spotdodge. But its very important to mixup these option like, rolling to the edge and the double jump variation. The Best Option you can do against MK, is to double Jump, and if you can predict him, using Up B, use DAIR.

I got many kills by that xD

QUIVO

Smash Master
I used to use wall jump bair all the time.. it was a pretty good mix up. You can also wall jump, airdodge behind, then zair.

Drop down, bomb pull, grab ledge, toss the bomb the opposite direction and bair towards opponent.
- I used to try the santi thing, drop down low, throw the bomb up, and up b back. Unfortunately, I lost tournament sets because my opponent was good at timing. : (

If your opponent is close to the ledge, on stages like FD/Bf/SV, you can uair through part of the stage.

Something Jerm taught me, use your invincibility frames and throw the bomb at the stage as soon as you let go. I'm not sure when to use this besides edgeguarding/when they're really close.

Full jump off ledge, dair.

Full jump off ledge, ibomb

That's just a few things off the top of my head. Honestly, I don't mix it up enough. Usually i just fair/nair cause I don't give a ****.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
The bomb throw against ledge is really useful if when you do it fast and quickly follow up. Its gets them away from the ledge, and works really well when a MK is chasing you from any angle.

I actually got the idea from hyro, though I think we use it in different ways

MaskedAvnger

Smash Journeyman
There was this thing on Battlefield that came up over the summer where supposedly we could double jump airdodge off the ledge and have complete invincibility frames until we reach the top of the lower platform and be ready to go from there.

I looked for the video for a while, couldn't find it. I know the Falco's had it as an AT, but someone got it to work with tink. I'll keep looking for the video.

I remember not being able to do it myself, and then someone else was like Twink you noob, and then he did it. :(

I still don't know if our invincibility frames cover it. I'll take it to the Smash Lab I guess.

Jaxys

Smash Cadet
Gee, I must be an uncreative fellow. I usually bomb the ledge and then up B. >_>

I like to mix it up, though. Sometimes I don't grab the ledge, which surprisingly, caught a few of my friends. I guess they expected me to grab it.

Bombs are essential to my returns to the stage. I frequently use them in all directions (except to the blast lines.) I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but I guess you could drop the bomb, insta-catch it and then throw it again to mess with your opponent's mind. Sort of typical idea, but it might work. Bombs and Boomerang could work if you angle it well enough.

I also like to Zair my opponent in the face if they're at the ledge and I know I can make it back on the stage. B)

With verical knockback, I prefer showering my opponent with bombs and then using Dair. IMO it's a predictable way of getting back on the stage and it does have ednging lag, make it punishable, but if you can predict where your opponent will sidestep, you can adjust TL and then hit him. Heck, you don't have to hit your opponent, you can make him slide away from your with the Dair and hopefully that'll be good. If you want to, you can drop/catch the bomb and then drop it again or have some meaningful delays.

But of course, that's not the only option. If your opponent isn't directly below, I'd personally use the boomerang, Nair or Bair and then quickdraw just to make sure he stays away.

Obviously mine aren't the most creative or the best approaches, but that's what I usually do. I'm kinda expecting to get loled at but meh. Help with my ledge options would be nice. :3

MJG

Smash Hero
Gee, I must be an uncreative fellow. I usually bomb the ledge and then up B. >_>

I like to mix it up, though. Sometimes I don't grab the ledge, which surprisingly, caught a few of my friends. I guess they expected me to grab it.

Bombs are essential to my returns to the stage. I frequently use them in all directions (except to the blast lines.) I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but I guess you could drop the bomb, insta-catch it and then throw it again to mess with your opponent's mind. Sort of typical idea, but it might work. Bombs and Boomerang could work if you angle it well enough.

I also like to Zair my opponent in the face if they're at the ledge and I know I can make it back on the stage. B)

With verical knockback, I prefer showering my opponent with bombs and then using Dair. IMO it's a predictable way of getting back on the stage and it does have ednging lag, make it punishable, but if you can predict where your opponent will sidestep, you can adjust TL and then hit him. Heck, you don't have to hit your opponent, you can make him slide away from your with the Dair and hopefully that'll be good. If you want to, you can drop/catch the bomb and then drop it again or have some meaningful delays.

But of course, that's not the only option. If your opponent isn't directly below, I'd personally use the boomerang, Nair or Bair and then quickdraw just to make sure he stays away.

Obviously mine aren't the most creative or the best approaches, but that's what I usually do. I'm kinda expecting to get loled at but meh. Help with my ledge options would be nice. :3
All ledge options for TL and the application of these ledge options are useful for Toon Link :)

G-Dub

Smash Journeyman
I feel like TL is one of the best planking characters in the game, the planking style is a lil odd though which can really throw off some characters (ie. fox, ZSS, olifail, among others) so being on the ledge is almost always a good place for tink to be. Of couse some characters shut down the ledge game altogether (meta knight comes to mind). I-bombing off stage can REALLY help toon's recovery, and **** with a more aggro player and players fishing for off stage kills.
UAir is an exellent tool IMO when below the ledge, jus make sure you save a jump, or rise the UAir. Creative bomb placement can lead to some nasty gimps if in unison with UAir/NAir.
Pretty much the only thing i have to say about toon link's ledge options is to say that he has a LOT of them, and creativity is the key. If you stay creative, and always thinking about what crazy **** tink can do, you'll never get predictable.

Top Bottom