• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The voices and Sounds of the Characters

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if this has been talk about before, but I think the voices of the characters sound weak compared to the previous titles.

They're not bad per se, they just sound less excited and eccentric then they did before.

Compare Peach's voice ad sounds in Melee to them in Brawl. Especally, when she say, "Ohhh, did I Win?" and "This is Fun!"

Red M is usually the optimistic yeller("HERE WE GO! WHOO HOO!") back then. Now, all he ever said was "Let's-a go." in a weaker, more tone down voice.

Well, that's what it sounds to me.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
They aren't that bad, I know that some of the character's taunts such as Sonic's still make me annoyed, so I guess they did well there, haha. "You're too slow!!"

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
The idea was that because Brawl is on a next gen system and had more of a realistic texture and feel, they wanted the voices to match the style of Brawl as well. To be honest, I like Peach's new voice. Also, Luigi's voice was in a serious need for a makeover, as his previous voice sound exactly like Mario's, only high-pitched. My only disappointment was Wario's voice - in the E3 teaser trailer, his voice sounded like that of his Mario Kart 64 incarnation. When his voice changed to the more low-pitched tone, I felt somewhat cheated. Regardless, the voices aren't bad overall, and I believe some sound better than their Melee counterparts, though there are some Melee voices that sound better than their Brawl voices too.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
As far as SFX, there are only two things I have beef about:
- Donkey Kong(Even though they are more realistic, I just prefer the more cartoony SEs from Melee.)
- The characters don't have a "got hit by a powerful attack at high damage" voice effect, like in Melee, even though they WERE planned for the game.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The idea was that because Brawl is on a next gen system and had more of a realistic texture
Except for Bowser anyway.

Compare Peach's voice ad sounds in Melee to them in Brawl. Especally, when she say, "Ohhh, did I Win?"
I prefer Brawls on that one tbh, she doesn't sound like a clueless airhead like she did in Melee.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I like brawls better. More win quotes and what not and everything feels more fitting. Falcos personality feels much more expressed in brawl then melee. Also fox doesn't sound australian anymore. :V

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
- The characters don't have a "got hit by a powerful attack at high damage" voice effect, like in Melee, even though they WERE planned for the game.
I was wondering what happened to those. I actually liked those. Also, as far as sound effects go, I enjoy Smash64's, as the SFX sound so violent. I mean, do you hear Link's bombs? They sound like they hurt like hell. Ahaha.
Except for Bowser anyway.
I dunno, I thought Bowser's look seemed more realistic than Melee's, though Bowser's overall design is somewhat cooler in Melee. Maybe if they took his design from Melee and tweaked the textures to fit Brawl's, we'd have a hell of a good-looking Bowser... that's just in theory, I guess.
I prefer Brawls on that one tbh, she doesn't sound like a clueless airhead like she did in Melee.
^ This.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
The idea was that because Brawl is on a next gen system and had more of a realistic texture and feel, they wanted the voices to match the style of Brawl as well. To be honest, I like Peach's new voice. Also, Luigi's voice was in a serious need for a makeover, as his previous voice sound exactly like Mario's, only high-pitched. My only disappointment was Wario's voice - in the E3 teaser trailer, his voice sounded like that of his Mario Kart 64 incarnation. When his voice changed to the more low-pitched tone, I felt somewhat cheated. Regardless, the voices aren't bad overall, and I believe some sound better than their Melee counterparts, though there are some Melee voices that sound better than their Brawl voices too.
I'm not sure about that. I mean, it's Mario and though you could give him a more realistic and believeable texure, it still doesn't feel the same. To some, Red M is not Red M is he doesn't have his loud and happy, hyper quotes. Fans were in love with the voices from Mario Kart for the Nintendo 64(YEAH! HA HA HAAA!) and I think he had the best quotes(as well as everyone else in the series) in the 4th Generation of Nintendo(GameCube/GBA Saga).

"Here we GO again. Again?"

Haaa. Also, Red M needs toshow more emotion and expressions, but considering that Next Level Games only did that to the characters, well... yeah.

Well, she soulds like a psuedo Zelda here. A bit more boring, not much personality(like there ever was). And one has to remember that in some forms of canon, Peach IS a clueless airhead.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The idea was that because Brawl is on a next gen system and had more of a realistic texture and feel, they wanted the voices to match the style of Brawl as well.
So that's why Mario hardly smiles and sometimes sounds bored?

For the most part, I'm good with Brawl's voices. The sound effects though annoy me to some extent. None of the attacks, especially the ones that look damaging, sound damaging. Everything sounds kinda muffled.

Top Bottom