• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gaming Ottawa: January Monthly -- RESULTS UP

buenob

Smash Lord
RESULTS!
Melee Singles:
1: Tect <-- because he is way too sexy!
2: GPwn!
3: C Man
4: Omni
5: Dave
5: PND
7: HiDef
7: CloneHat
9: MYCP
9: Linkshot
9: Linker
9: Ryan0
13: Batanu
13: Kutku

Brawl singles:
1: Holy Nightmare
2: Guard
3: Mar1
4: Knuckles
5: Linkshot
5: Buenob
7: PND
7: Haze
9: Linker
9: Mal
9: stef
9: Dark Shadow
13: ?
13: Jiggernaut
13: HiDef
13: BitStream
17: Kutku
17: Fuzzy
17: Nez
17: Batanu
17: Mario
17: TheJuggz
17: P13

Brawl Doubles:
1: The Furry and the Bat (Guard, Holy Nightmare)
2: Puffy Blue Balls (Linkshot, Hidef)
3: King Ace (Stef, Buenob)
4: Team Katy Perry (Knuckles, Haze)
5: Fat with Benefits (Bitstream, Nez)
5: ROCKET.PUNCH (Jiggernaught, PND)
7: Gren (Kain, Skippy)
7: Small Town Ottawa (Brawl, Fuzzy)

SSF4:
1: Buddahforce
2: Jensine
3: Gonzo Show
4: Gillette
5: Contra
5: aznretro
7: CollJJammer
7: iRockTheVote
9: Ryan
9: NateD0gg
9: Grokslam
9: familyman
13: AbilityUp
13: SanderVenGuurn (61F)
13: Cassidy
13: RXS
17: Geneijin87
17: PLA Soldier
17: CrashOverride (61F)
17: jak d ripr
17: Xaph
17: Rigel
17: Nicko (61F)
17: ScrubbleTrouble (61F)
25: Kal
25: HIPBUFFALO

Gaming Ottawa Presents - January Monthly - January 29th - Ottawa, ON

Gaming Ottawa Presents - January Monthly

When: January 29th
Where: 523 St. Anthony St at the St. Anthony's Banquet Hall

If you have questions, or can donate equipment for use at the event please contact:
buenob : bbueno@gamingottawa.ca
GO President : ahadi@gamingottawa.ca
general: info@gamingottawa.ca

Tournaments:

Super Street Fighter 4 Singles (Xbox 360) $5 entry
* Round robin pool play followed by double elimination brackets
* 2 out of 3 games per match
* 3 out of 5 games per semi final match
* 4 out of 7 games grand finals

Super Smash Brothers Brawl Singles (Wii) $5 entry
* 3 stock 2 out of 3 games per match
* 3 stock 3 out of 5 games per semi final/finals match

Super Smash Brothers Brawl 2v2 (Wii) $20 per team

Super Smash Brothers Melee (GC) $5 entry

Super Smash Brothers Melee 2v2 (GC) $20 per team

Prize Distribution:
If under 20 people enter each event respectively the following will be paid out for SSF4 and Brawl Singles:
* 1st place: $100
* 2nd place: $30
* 3rd place: $10

If over 20 people people enter each event respectively the following will be paid out for SSF4 and Brawl Singles:
* 1st place: $100 + % of entry fees
* 2nd place: $30 + % of entry fees
* 3rd place: $10 + % of entry fees

Brawl and Melee 2v2 Info:
70 / 20 / 10 split for 1st/2nd/3rd
(no guaranteed pot)

Basically if costs are covered for the guaranteed prize pot ($100/$30/$10) any extra income from entry fees will be added to the pot at the same ratio. The SSF4 pot is not dependent on the number of entrants in Brawl and vice versa.

Example:
>20 people : 140 pot
21 people : 145 pot
22 people : 150 pot
etc.

Schedule:
Noon - Doors open and registration begins
1PM - Registration closes, pool play begins followed by double elim brackets

Venue is available until ~1AM for casual play, MMs, whathaveyou after that.

Rules:
* No drugs at the venue!
* No Turbo buttons.
* Any breaks in gameplay, deliberate or not, will award a decision to player NOT responsible for the break, to either restart the round or accept the round win.
* Disturbances must be reported the moment they occur. If both players resume play consensually, there will be no reverse judgment on the results. Judges reserve the right to make a final call on any issues.

Who is Gaming Ottawa?:
Gaming Ottawa is a registered Not-For-Profit business run by a group of gamers in the Ottawa area. Their website can be found at Gaming Ottawa - Ottawa's Gaming Community!. This will be the first event that they have run in the Street Fighter world and hopefully it will be the start of a long, successful, foray into the tournament scene. The current plan is to hold events along these lines on a monthly basis.

Tournament Directors:
Gaming Ottawa staff

Notes:
* There most likely will not be room for additional setups/BYOC. If you are interested in this please post up and one of the GO guys will confirm.
* We are still looking for more volunteers for setups for both Brawl and SSF4 so if you can supply a 360, Wii, or TV please let us know!
* Alcohol will be sold at the venue (LLBO Licensed)

---
Melee Rules:
MBR Recommended Rule Set

Brawl Rules:
(This Brawl Ruleset is taken from Toronto standards)
3 stock
8 minute time limit
Best 2 of 3. finals matches (losers/winners/grand) being best 3 of 5
Double Elimination
50 Ledge grab rule ( if you time out each other in a match and you go over 50 ledge grabs you lose that match. )
Items are OFF including smash ball
* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

* Resolving Ties: If percents are the same or both players die simultaneously, there will be a 1 stock, 3 minute, same characters, same stage rematch.

* All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above should be played out for any "finals" matches)

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by the G&W hammer rule.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Extending Meta Knight's Dimensional Cape by leaving the ground and returning to it while invisible is banned. (For example, flicking the C-Stick up while holding down on the control stick during the move will cause this to happen.)

* Stalling is banned.
Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while using an infinite to run out the timer rather than to score a KO is. As such, any infinite chain-grabs, locks, etc. cannot exceed 300%.

* Any action which prevents the game from continuing (i.e. by causing the game to crash or causing all characters to freeze indefinitely) is banned. If the Tournament Organizer or a judge can conclusively determine the player responsible for the failure, that player loses the interrupted game. Players are expected to know their characters and prevent this from happening.

* Some interactions (for example, a throw with a wind attack) can cause one character to become frozen until being hit. If this happens, the free character is expected to capitalize on this in a timely manner; a failure to do so is stalling.

Doubles:

• Team attack ON
• Life stealing is allowed

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
Opponents start the stage striking procedure in a 1-2-2-1 fashion**
Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counter picks of the set
The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
The winner of the previous match chooses their character
The loser of the previous match chooses their character
Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match
**If there is a dispute, the striking order will be decided with the G&W hammer rule.

Neutral Stages: Each player can strike a stages until one stage is left. That stage is then played.

Neutral:
* Final Destination
* Battlefield
* Yoshi's Story
* Smashville
* Lylat
* Pokemon Stadium 1
* Castle Siege
* Delfino
* Halberd

Stages for Counter pick:
* Frigate Orpheon
* Rainbow Cruise
* Brinstar
*Jungle Japes
* Pokémon Stadium 2
* Norfair
* Pictochat

Banned Stages:
*Everything Else

Mages Dq Rules :
2 Minutes Late: Warning/Loss of first stock
4 Minutes Late: Loss of first match of set
6 Minutes Late: Loss of set

Stage Banning: Each player / team may select up to 1 stage that will be banned from the tournament set from the neutral/or counter pick group

Counter pick Rule: The loser of the match first chooses the stage that the next match of the set will be played on. The opponent, then, makes the choice of changing character or not. than the loser of the match selects his/her character.

If the loser of the match chooses to select the stage at random. The opponent CANNOT change character. The loser of the match than makes the choice of changing character or not.
• Excessive stalling tactics are banned.
• Controller Mods are banned
Violation of any rule is punishable by non-refunded disqualification.

buenob

Smash Lord
I am participating in singles and doubles, since I don't have to TO my own tournament :)

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Yo ben I was wondering if you could add some melee in there as well. Lots of Melee players who also play some brawl would show up and register for both games.

KnucklesTheEchidna

Smash Apprentice
I will be there.. In both brawl events events.

50 ledge grabs? is that a thing now?

Are setups needed? I have some of those...

Sounds like you dont need help running pools or anything but let me know if theres something else I can help with.

In the future i can probably offer up a couple of couches for out of towners, but I don't think I can do so this month.

Im psyched for this, but also concerned about just how rusty I am at this game...

and tin i dont think its entirely accurate to call ottawa "nothern ontario", eastern is probably better

buenob

Smash Lord
as stated, first gets 100 bucks, second gets 30, third gets 10... Teams I am not sure how popular it was so we extremely lowballed the prize, if there is a lot of interest we will offer top3

I am hesitant to run melee as well, because we are already running SSF4 and Brawl, pools + brackets for both...

buenob

Smash Lord
so there was some confusion with flat fee, so we have re-worked the payout! it appears that people didn't have faith that we would increase the pot should we get a sweet turnout... no trust!

It is now $5 venue fee, $5 to enter brawl, and $20 per team to enter doubles

MELEE HAS ENTERED THE RING!!
$5 singles, $20 per team for doubles

Unfortunately melee singles, melee doubles, and brawl doubles will not have a guaranteed pot, but will pay out 70 / 20 / 10 percentage. (and we need moar setups!)

hopefully this will increase the hype! and I am accepting money matches in brawl :)

buenob

Smash Lord
lol it'll be good to see you guys again! We need to play moar!

ps. is there confusion about the legal stages // rules for melee? I am not a huge melee player but I'm pretty sure their set in stone (or am i just ignorant lol?)

buenob

Smash Lord
Yeah that's the exact location!

Worst case, you can crash on my couch, but be warned because we have to take-down I will be there really, really late lol... I would strongly suggest staying elsewhere :( (even though I want to play mad friendlies lol)

looks like kingston is coming up to rep for melee and brawl! awesome

buenob

Smash Lord
is there anyone other than PND that would be able to let us pick up their equipment and use it for the tournament? We need lots of wii/melee/brawl coppies still, and more tv's never hurt a tournament :)

we do all the work! pm me if you think you'd be able to help us out!

ps. only one more week!.. knuckles $5MM? my ROB vs your MK?

Divine_Haze

Smash Journeyman
If Montreal comes, is there any housing possible? I might be the only one coming, anyway is this the exact location? If so it's pretty close from the Ottawa bus central terminal, I could bus to it from Montreal

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sour...-75.705972&spn=0.008195,0.021136&z=16&start=0
Holy, normally it wouldn't be a problem for you to crash with myself knuckles and PND, but we are kind of in a transition phase right now with people moving in/out of the house so I'm not sure it would be the best for you to crash with us. It would awesome to see some Montreal representation though!

is there anyone other than PND that would be able to let us pick up their equipment and use it for the tournament? We need lots of wii/melee/brawl coppies still, and more tv's never hurt a tournament :)

we do all the work! pm me if you think you'd be able to help us out!

ps. only one more week!.. knuckles $5MM? my ROB vs your MK?
Bryant is currently in Las Vegas (Lucky ****er...), but I'm sure he would accept your $5 MM request :p

Exactly

Smash Rookie
I am brand new to the Brawl scene, literally. I've been playing on and off since release but only seriously got into it again earlier this month. I was a pretty big melee player though so I guess that counts for something!

I wont be able to make this one but hopefully it is a monthly thing, as I will be able to make it next month for sure. I would love a chance to try and get my name out there, though I'm pretty sure I'm still not that great haha.

Also, according to google maps, this place is Italia Soccer Club or something like that, is it just a shared building?

buenob

Smash Lord
lol yeah it's the same place :) we will have signage up, but it will be in the basement, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing you next month!

Kut-Ku

Smash Rookie
I live close to Ottawa in NY State, so I'd like to come and get some tournament experience. I'll bring myself and my friend Batanu this Saturday.

buenob

Smash Lord
well there's a car of melee players coming up with tect from kingston, all of the ottawa guys (usually like +10?) and there's you guys for melee... and for brawl we have the regular ottawa guys (probably around +10 again) plus a couple up from the states, and you guys possibly... we are expecting to attract a few new people from the advertising we are doing around town, at least that is the hope :) as for SSF4 we are expecting +20 to show up...

all of our numbers are conservative... we are expecting around 60 people total

the more the merrier :D it will be here again next month if you can't make it, but you will definitely be missing out on a sweet tournament if you can't make it ;)

pm. me if you need to get in touch with me, i will more than likely try to get you to text me, but I can be convinced to use other methods of communication lol

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Iliad's butt might still be sore from the matches I had against him when we played Brawl.
In other words, no matter how much I gripe about Brawl, I can still play it solidly.

Just don't expect me to play Melee well or even seriously immediately after Brawl! My mind is moving way too slow for that.

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Iliad's butt might still be sore from the matches I had against him when we played Brawl.
In other words, no matter how much I gripe about Brawl, I can still play it solidly.

Just don't expect me to play Melee well or even seriously immediately after Brawl! My mind is moving way too slow for that.
No johns, I beasted brawl doubles after playing melee singles.

buenob

Smash Lord
venue fee is $5, singles is $5 with brawl having a guaranteed minimum pot

registration for specific events will take place @ the tournament

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Hey, count me in for this guys! I'll be in brawl singles for sure, but I don't have a partner for doubles as of yet.

Speaking of which, does anyone want to team? Having a Jigglypuff on your team gives you many benifits such as, but not limited to:

Helping you recover, canceled rests, possibility of double planking (now with a reduced tendency for everyone hating you), extra manliness by comparison, and improved insight into your life and everything you do.

Yes, and I can bring a Wii with everything unlocked + a brawl disk, if it would be useful.

Alright Holy, I'll MM you $2 against your MK.

Top Bottom