• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Delta Upsilon VI Results 1/15/11 Full results posted!!!

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Delta Upsilon VI Results
January 15th, 2011

Thanks everyone for making it out! I had a lot of fun and I hope everyone else did to! Next DU will be in February some time!

Singles Bracket

Singles Results (30 Entrants, $290 in Prizes)
1: Shugo :falco: ($140.00)
2: Infern :snake: ($63.00)
3: DJIskascribble :metaknight: ($40.00)
4: Y.b.M. :kirby: :zerosuitsamus: ($23.00)
5: Fizzle :dedede: :metaknight: :lucario: :falco:($12.00)
5: Kel :metaknight: ($12.00)
7: Z :metaknight:
7: Fonz :lucario: :metaknight:
9: AlphaZealot :diddy: :pikachu:
9: Sneaky Tako :rob:
9: Quivo :toonlink:
9: Mr. Eric :rob:
13: Sai :diddy:
13: Luminoth :wolf: :diddy:
13: Sorasin :falco:
13: KB :peach: :metaknight: :pikachu:
---Pools Cut Off---
17: Kassandra :metaknight:
17: Moose - :marth: :snake:
17: Mr. E :rob:
17: MX :yoshi:
21: Slimjim :metaknight: :kirby:
21: ShyGuy :falco:
21: JT - :sonic: :link2:
21: Duckman :marth:
25: Kiest :dedede:
25: Drillbit Sammy - :luigi:
25: Hael Phael :pikachu:
25: Soulpech :jigglypuff:
29: Kirakou-Rung - :metaknight:
29: Fortenium :metaknight:

Doubles Bracket

Doubles Results (9 Teams, $170 in Prizes)
1: Fonz & Kel (Fonz & Kel) ($93)
2: Infern & Y.b.M. (Infern & Y.b.M.) ($51.00)
3: AlphaZealot & Z (AlphaZealot & Z) ($26)
4: Fizzle & DJIskascribble (Fizzle & DJiskascribble)
5: Sneaky Tako & Kiest (Sneaky Tako & Kiest)
5: Shugo & KB (Shugo & KB)
7: MX & JT (MX & JT)
7: Kassandra & Luminoth (Kassandra & Luminoth)
9: Guitarmaster & Fortenium (Guitarmaster & Fortenium)

Vinnie

Smash Master
ALPHAZEALOT WHAT THE **** IS THE POINT OF POSTING THIS?!?!

DO YOU REALLY THINK SOMEONE IS GOING TO TAKE THIS SPOT

DLSKFJSDLKJFLSDKFJSDFSDLFJS

caps

clowsui

Smash Legend
LMAO @ Vinnie

1. Shugo (6-1 Infern GF, 3-1 DJ Iskaskribble WF. Lost to Y.b.M. in Winners, beat him in losers also. His losers' run was something like Tako/Z/Fizzle/Y.b.M./Skribble)
2. Infern (beat DJ Iskaskribble in WF).
3. DJ Iskaskribble (beat Y.b.M. in Winners)
4. Y.b.M. (lost to DJ Iskaskribble in Winners, Shugo in losers)
5. Kel (lost to Shugo in WR1 [got a 4th seed in pools for not using MK, iirc] and Y.b.M. in losers)
5. Fizzle (?)

This tournament was stacked. 9/10 Ohio PR members, HMs 1 + 2

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
People like to talk about the tournament, so why not?

I'm heading back to the frat soon to get the bracket posters, and when I do I will look for a phone but when I cleaned up last night I did not run into anything.

DBSammy

Smash Ace
Stacked tourny was stacked. Anyway this was fun for my last DU and hopefully I will be able to come to more later on. And by later on I probably mean 2-3 years if DU will exist then.

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
I wanted to come to this, but woman happened and I didn't go anyway. :/

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
yo AZ (or anyone for that matter) a list of characters would be awesome

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
How was the lgl with mk only? Complaints? Congrats
The majority of the room cheered as soon as AZ announced it out loud.

@ Thread- I'll post my shoutouts as soon as I am able to post vids as well (Monday, maybe Tuesday if MLK Jr. day has any influence on delivery).
I'm not very happy about getting 13th at a state event for the first time since '09, but I'll just have to shake this one off and not let it get to me. **** happens, lol.

Luminoth64

Smash Ace
here you go ripple. if anyone played more people, just post up. this is from what i remember seeing.

1: Shugo :falco:
2: Infern :snake:
3: DJIskascribble :metaknight:
4: Y.b.M. :kirby: :zerosuitsamus:
5: Fizzle :dedede: :metaknight: :lucario:
5: Kel :metaknight:
7: Z :metaknight:
7: Fonz :lucario: :metaknight:
9: AlphaZealot :diddy: :pikachu:
9: Sneaky Tako :rob:
9: Quivo :toonlink:
9: Mr. Eric :rob:
13: Sai :diddy:
13: Luminoth :wolf: :diddy:
13: Sorasin :falco:
13: KB :peach: :metaknight: :pikachu:
---Pools Cut Off---
17: Kassandra :metaknight:
17: Moose - :marth: :snake:
17: Mr. E :rob:
17: MX :yoshi:
21: Slimjim :metaknight: :kirby:
21: ShyGuy :falco:
21: JT - :sonic:
21: Duckman :marth:
25: Kiest :dedede:
25: Drillbit Sammy - :luigi:
25: Hael Phael :pikachu:
25: Soulpech :jigglypuff: g&w (no idea what the words are for his pic >.>)
29: Kirakou-Runy - :metaknight:
29: Fortenium :metaknight:

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Pikachu instead of Falco for me. I only used Falco in one pools match. Pikachu actually saw some Bracket action.

QUIVO

Smash Master
I remember a game with Kel where he had like, 19 edge grabs without planking.

I think I had 14-16ish with TL?

Anyway, doesn't the rule only go into effect when it goes to time?

SoulPech

Smash Master
@ Quivo:

I didn't think it was made clear. Also, I didn't know it was specifically just for MK. I thought it was for everyone X_X

Kel

Smash Master
I remember a game with Kel where he had like, 19 edge grabs without planking.

I think I had 14-16ish with TL?

Anyway, doesn't the rule only go into effect when it goes to time?
Keep in mind that I had my joystick held toward you the entire game. On top of that, I was never landing on the ledge from recovering unless I absolutely had to. All of my ledge grabs were necessary/ caused by you pushing me back on to the ledge with arrows and bombs. I HAD to play super aggressive and end the game quickly (4 minutes and 39 seconds) in order to have any chance at victory. Especially since our games have historically gone to time.

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
I also went zss. Give me my zss head plz.

Shout outs to canes for being delicious.

Shoutouts to the basement for being smelly, almost as smelly as AZ's rule set. If you're going to make a lgl, at least make it a standard 40.

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
No. It was smelly, there was an individual who smelled awesome who mister eric and I were trying to find. But we didn't find that person. :(

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
No. It was smelly, there was an individual who smelled awesome who mister eric and I were trying to find. But we didn't find that person. :(
You're welcome; always fresh, all the time. :) Yeah it was pretty funky down there though lol. I need to start bringing some sticks with me to tournies from now on, I'd make a killing.

Ruleset was fine imo, if Scribbs can fight unaffected with it and place top 3 (and, imo, gave Shugo a very impressive run on a match-to-match basis), it just goes to show that MK doesn't need the ledge or time outs to do great (he doesn't anyway, but the rule kept any unnecessary abuse of it from happening, which I have to say can occur subconsciously at times whether people want to admit it or not).

No offense to Z, he plays to win and I respect the guy a whole lot. But coming from the perspective of a Peach player who has some good experience playing both sides of the matchup, just...recover. I'm Peach, how can I possibly pressure you into remaining on the ledge and planking until there is an opening? What do I have that is so dangerous? Sure, I can try to time a f-smash or something if and only if you screw up somehow with your nado, 5 jumps, or other options from your large bag of tricks. And even then, it's not like I'm a powered up Lucario or a Falco standing nearby with very dangerous options to contest you or actually pin you down with; they hit like a Mack truck if you screw up, Peach hits like a Prius; again...only if you screw up. I get so frustrated when a MK just hangs there like they're actually scared of my character that I just walk away with her when I'm playing Z (again, no offense, keep doing your thing if it's legal bro) or another MK who will do that say "recover" in a very irritated tone of voice.

SoulPech

Smash Master
There were quite a few who were like that. Also, it IS a frat party, so the basement could smell anything but "lemon scent heaven."

With that aside, there was a lot of gas passing going on, which can be a distraction. Plus, there were no windows that could dissipate the smell. I'm just saying go upstairs if you going to pass gas or just apologize.

fonzi21

Smash Ace
@KB, regardless of your character it is very difficult for anyone to recover onto the stage. Especially if the person is very good at edge-guarding, and we all know you are good at it. Even though MK has tons of options compared to other characters it is still rather difficult to get back on the stage safely against most characters. Yeah MK can just Tornado, or try to jump up and above you, but both of those can still get punished hard even by peach.

I did not see the match, but from what it sounds like is Z was trying to make you commit to something so he could recover safely and punish you. Which resulted in him grabbing the edge multiple times.

fonzi21

Smash Ace
Also correct me if I'm wrong, but was the LGL only for metaknight? Because that's a little ridiculous to only have it for Metaknight. For instance Kel took Y.b.M to Norfair on game 3 of their set, and YbM could have just timed Kel out by running away with Kirby the whole time, and if Kel had more then 25 LG's and YbM had something like 50 then where is the fairness in that? (I am not saying YbM did that, but it could have happened)

You need to make the LGL for ALL characters not just Metaknight if your going to put one in. That's my thoughts on it.

SoulPech

Smash Master
Also correct me if I'm wrong, but was the LGL only for metaknight? Because that's a little ridiculous to only have it for Metaknight.

You need to make the LGL for ALL characters not just Metaknight if your going to put one in. That's my thoughts on it.
That's what I was going to say. When I had MX in my pools, He was Egg Throwing off the ledge. I pointed out to him about the LGL and he mentioned it was for MK. I was upset because Puff cannot negate eggs with pound or fair (or any move as I know of). It can with other projectiles but not those eggs.

They must be rotten :/

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
He can't egg more than 5 or so times in a row. Then he has to return to the stage, so just run away and wait for him to come back up. After like the 3-4th egg start moving toward the edge so you cover any retreat options. It is a slow game but Yoshi cannot stay on the edge the entire game.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
also, you can stop any character in the game if they decide to be on the ledge for long periods of time....cept mk. so a rule just on him is good.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
It's 3 AZ iirc. So you wait, PS the eggs, and then punish their getup. It's really not that bad unless you try to preemptively punish.

I'm kinda split between this LGL rule. No doubt its effective, but is it particularly unfair against MK? 25 LGL not only prevents MK from planking, but it makes grabbing the edge dangerous. If they get too many grabs early, the opposing player can opt to time out the MK regardless of percent/stock as long as they can survive the 8 min. If the MK realizes what's going on, the MK is forced to approach and finish the game quickly. Now all of us non-MK mains hate MK, but where do we draw the line between preventing planking/timeouts and making MK unviable? Why don't we just say if the game times out the MK auto-loses?

I'm leaning toward raising the LGL to 30 imo. Oh and we should have 10 min games.

Top Bottom