• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.

Mission Statement

Hello! My name is Tiger Woods (not really) and I'm a full time geek and a part time jock. Now we all know that a common stereotype of gamers is that we are fat and unhealthy or skin and bones. If this is you how about we change that stereotype!!! If you're already pretty fit, why not get RIPPED? I don't have a degree or anything (yet... harhar) but I think this support group should help us get fit (or fitter)!

This is the Smash Gym. Together we shall fight a war against being unhealthy! Join a community that is hellbent on obtaining a better physique. Man or woman, old (guess we don't really have old people) or young! Help others help themselves get a 6-pack!

Three Rules

* Keep it health oriented. Not too strict on this one though. Off topic discussions or small talk go here: http://www.smashboards.com/group.php?groupid=631

* No Flaming. Banter is allowed but all rules still apply. Stay positive. Attacking someone who is trying to get healthy will anger me.

* You must do a push-up after reading this. NOW! Any violation of this rule is inexcusable. I refuse to awknowledge you if you break this rule.

Membership

Post in the thread and you become a member. If you yourself are fit and experienced, please help me help the newbies by sending me a pm or directly answering a question. Stay in touch with each other and keep at it. If you feel hopeless or just need a more personal helping hand feel free to message me. Also, I'm marking all members who have experience with an asterisk. Feel free to direct questions at them as well. Can't all swamp me now XD.

1. Tiger Woods

Tiger's Tips and Beginner's Guide

- If you are just beginning, I suggest you follow this. It's a pretty kick-butt site too, as it contains various workouts and tips. If you're a bit lost just ask and I'll help you personally http://scoobysworkshop.com/schedbeginning.htm

- Here is shmot's newbie workout! http://www.gamerhold.com/forum/index.php?topic=17149.0

- A nice push-up workout for all of you without access to a gym: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X72LtRcXR6g

- A nice workout for those with just a floor: http://www.wimp.com/spartantraining/

- I get a lot of questions about abs (rightfully so). This really works (edit: if link does not work since it breaks down a lot, PM me or just ask me about it). http://dailyburn.com/workout_programs/31685-Abb-Ripper-Workou

- Please don't buy a useless piece of junk for $5000. When you see commercials for "innovative and unique" exercise equipment, laugh at it. Simple, well known machines are where it's at.
EDIT: Unless it's a shake weight : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S3C4AC908w

- Don't "diet", just be sure to make healthy choices with your food. What I mean is don't get all worked up counting calories or make sure-fail promises to yourself like giving up candy FOREVER. Diets fail because the person who is dieting isn't enjoying his/herself. You know the expression, "A man who enjoys his work has never worked in his life?", well same goes for diets! Instead of resolving yourself to "diet", try and eat healthy foods you LIKE! There are plenty of different fruits and veggies out there for your enjoyment. Please remember skipping meals will decrease your metabolism, which will inadvertently make you fatter(in other words, EAT!!). Preventing yourself from eating is bad bad baddd.

- STRETCH! It increases the efficacy of your workouts as well as reduces the chance of injury(so you can keep working out without having to recover).

- Here is a link to the Old SWF Gym. It has some detailed workouts in it. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=213464

- Unless you have a will as strong as diamonds (there ARE some of you out there), don't make drastic changes to your lifestyle. Instead, make small changes over a long period of time.

- Don't make stupid unreachable goals for yourself; make ones that you'll reach and keep making new goals every time you accomplish one.

- PATIENCE! Things come slowly but surely. Keep your head up and watch the results come!

- Check out the fitness forum courtesy of Shmot! http://www.gamerhold.com/forum/index.php?board=67.0

So get posting! Describe yourself and your goals, and we'll all help each other out!

Meno Designed the thread due to my workload lol. THANK HIM :D

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
YESSS good **** tigerwoods

I used to be a doughy nerd, then I started going to the gym and lost weight, got in shape, and feel better every single day as a result:

I was making great progress until I got hit by a van while riding my bike. Among various injuries I sprained my back, both ankles and broke my wrist, leaving me unable to lift for about 6 months. I got fully cleared from PT just about a month ago so now I'm trying to get back into shape. I'm continuing my lifting and also joined a sparring gym that just opened up. They hold training classes for boxing, muay thai, jiu jitsu, mma, wrestling, and conditioning, and I've been trying a little bit of everything. It's a LOT of fun and I would heavily recommend it to anybody looking for a fun way to get into shape.

My short term goal is to get back under 190 lbs and work running into my daily routine. Here's to a healthy 2011 :)

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I was making great progress until I got hit by a van while riding my bike. Among various injuries I sprained my back, both ankles and broke my wrist, leaving me unable to lift for about 6 months.
Holy crap dude. o.o At least you're walking.

I joined a class at my college for exercise. Twice a week, (Tuesday - Thursday) and lots of moving around. Tiring as all hell. Plan is to do stair runs on weekends.

I'm around 160 pounds right now - 5'11" or so. Definitely out of shape, though.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
i don't have before/after photos. should probably work on that when australia's summer actually arrives.

also, how do we get mino's design as a sig?

@18: you wore a towel to a smash tourney? classic.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I don't really have any before photos either. I was too self conscious to take the before ones. After photos may be a problem as well. XD

I had something else to share but I forgot what it was...

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Awesome thread!

I was working out pretty regularly last year but I slowly dwindled down to barely ever working out, just due to low motivation. It really does help you to feel better in general, and not just because you look better.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I'm in. I really need persistence and consistency. I workout and train whenever on irregular days.

Will post 'before' pictures when I take em lol.

What do push ups work on exactly?

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Why don't we just start taking before shots now? I can start with one tonight

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622

Here's the sig I made. Linked and ready to go. Just quote and copypasta.

Also, lawl. Tiger... none of the formatting showed up. Copy the BBC code and TRY AGAIN.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Alright, so here's my intro.

Name's Manny, and I've technically been working out for about three years. I haven't actually put a lot of focus into my workouts until recently, fall 2010. With my goal being size, I'm going in with the mantra "EAT BIG, LIFT BIG, to GET BIG." I'm also trying to approach it very analytically, like everything I do, keeping tabs on every detail, but not strictly attaching myself to anything to allow for mix-ups and spontaneity. I enjoy a challenge, but my rule is: if I'm not having fun - quit.

Previous goal post and before pic.

Current!

Weighing-in today, I'm at 148 lbs! +8 lbs since September, and almost +20 since last year! I'm about to reach my goal of 150 lbs, but I'm bumping it up to 175 lbs by winter. I'm 5'7" tall.

Workout
I'm working out five days a week, with weekends off. Exclusively weight-training with no cardio. I do abs and squats everyday.

Abs
100 crunches, 80 bicycle kicks, 60 heel touches, and 50 ball crunches/decline crunches/ab machine crunches. Iurrno I play around with the last one.

Squats
10 reps x 3 of 125 lbs. I've always been neglecting my legs, but I've decided to bump these up in priority.

Mon/Fri: Chest
Benching 145 lbs, with a max of 185. Goal of 200. Bench, pec fly, and machine press. And dumbell bench press when I stop SLIPPING OFF.

Tue/Thu: Arms
Last I measured, arms are 13 inches. Curling 40 lbs, probably improperly. Dips, pull-ups, ...that one thing were I push the dumbells over my head while seated. Trying to put an emphasis on the pull-ups, but my HANDS KEEP GETTING PINCHED.

Wed: Legs
Trying to add on an extra five pounds to my squat set every Wednesday. Calf raises on stairs and weighted, various machines, and a lap of lunges on the track.

Diet
3500 calories a day. And yes I'm counting. That's kind of a lot of food for me. But no strict diet, just trying to eat "healthy". Keeping away from soda and desert (my dining hall's deserts aren't that great). Four square meals a day. Breakfast, Elevensies, Lunch, Dinner.

Supps
Creatine
Protein

I'm trying to be healthy wherever I can as well. Drinking tons of water, trying to remember posture, and I'm becoming one of those people who brushes their teeth after every meal. :bee:

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
just a heads up -- if attila puts pics of himself here he's going to probably make you feel VERY inadequate

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Meno is a peach player? :awesome:

also, inb4 shmot. So I guess I need to hurry up and do this before he gets here?

Attila_

BRoomer
Finished work late and didn't get around to doing a write up lol.

And yes, Attila is my real name O_o

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Re-sign me up!

My goal: to be pretty much like eighteenspikes in his After photo. As for Before/After pictures, I too am self-conscious but I do promise to post them when I reach my goal. <.<

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Meno is a peach player? :awesome:
YEA WHUT OF IT

Looking forward to the rest of the bios. I live with a HUGE guy, and frankly a good part of me going so hard this school year is me trying to "catch up".

Also: I think my kidney exploded while doing squats.

I had just added an extra five pounds, and on the third or so rep I feel this weird pressure or something above the groin. It gets REALLY warm, and I put the bar back, but it goes away after a couple seconds.

I shrug it off and finish my set, but I'm probably gonna die in the next few days.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Oh, nothing. I just heard this theory about Peach players... ;)

so shmot=attila? It all makes sense now.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
**** the peach theory. did two spin classes this weak and lifting today, again tomorrow. hopefully i'll be kickin rad for a fraser trip.

Attila_

BRoomer
Haven't got around to taking pictures yet, but for now, i hope this will do.

I'm Attila, been working out for almost 5 years, but have only been serious for about 3. Originally my mission was to put on size (as I'm naturally one of those malnourished looking skinny people), but 15kgs later, I decided to use my new found strength and compete in track again, as I had stopped just after high school. This is now the primary focus of my training, and what most of my exercises and ideals revolve around.

As a sprinter, most of my weights work involves heavy lifting and powerful movements, although this year, I've used my imagination somewhat, and was able to incorporate powerful plyometric moves into my routine. The result is a leaner, more powerful me, although I most definitely notice that my endurance and resistance to lactic has diminished somewhat. Can't be everything, I suppose. At the same time, I'm also currently running at state level, with national level competition not being too far off the cards. If not this year, hopefully next year.

Outside the weights room, I'm a 22 year old Physiotherapy student, with a view to work with sportspeople, professional or otherwise. I also play brawl at a pretty high level in Australia, although M2K absolutely schooled me when he flew down last year. Other than that... I don't do a whole lot. I'd rather exercise to fill in spare time, and find myself busy juggling uni, work, and my own training. And even then, I try to occupy my time with exercise or nutrition related research, which comes back to, and is good for, my studies anyway.

As far as my split goes, I'd typically go a 3 day program: Pushes, Legs and Pulls. During off season, I'll complete this split twice weekly, giving myself Sundays off. During pre-season, and the start of season, I just backed it off to once weekly, while running on 3 other days. Now that the season is in full swing, I've cut it back to a 2 day program: Upper and Lower. It's a little sad and I'm dropping weight (Pre-season starting weight was 80.2kgs, current weight is 72.3kgs), but getting lean is nice anyway, and I'm running fast, which is what counts.

A lot of my training is based from my own research and experience, and hence, I've developed views that are quite different to most people. I don't train arms or abs, don't use machines, and don't do any isolation exercises. Feel free to ask me about these things, cause I'm pretty confident in my opinions, and am more than happy to enlighten others.

Nutrition wise, I'm a big fan of supplements, and I'm a picky eater. I don't calorie count or anything like that, I just eat sensibly, and try not to eat late at night. I split my supplements into catagories, as detailed below:

Everyday Supplements
GNC Myocell-SR
L-Glutamine
Vital Greens
Flaxseed Oil
Calcium Citrate + Vitamin D3

Specific-Use Supplements
GNC Whey & Oats
Controlled Labs DH20
Controlled Labs Purple Wraath
Endura Rehydration Formula
Endura Magnesium and Potassium
1.M.R.

Cycled Supplements
Creatine Monohydrate
Milk Thistle

Trialing Supplements
Leucine
GNC Ultra Mega Gold

Wanted Supplements
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Colostrum

Like I said, I like supplements. The 'trialing supplements' will not be used again, I cycle creatine 2 months on, 1 month off, and complete a course of milk thistle every 6 months or so. I'll try the 'wanted supplements' after I've finished off the Leucine and Multivitamin.

Other than that, I can't really think of anything else to say. If you've got any questions, fire away.

<3

Solaris1110

Smash Journeyman
shmot do you take fish oil? I'm just curious because I didn't see anything with EPA/DHA on that list.

and I guess i'll join this.

I'm 5'4, used to be around 100 lbs at a few years ago (ate lots, never gained weight, never gained height..), but now I'm up to 130. I have no idea what my BF is, but i'm prominantly veiny everywhere.
I rarely use the gym, but I do plenty of bboying. My "training" consists of squatting random heavy objects around my house, leg pressing my bunk-bed, and doing vertical pushups with a heavy backpack or something similar. Bboying pretty much covers everything else.

also yeah, I like to focus on physiology and nutrition. I'm big on fats, and eat tons of nuts, dark chocolate and coconut while avoiding anything involving processed oil.. I take the usual supplements: lots of fish oil, multivamins, Vit C, D3 and some zinc. I am thinking of supplementing D-aspartic acid and N-methyl-D-aspartate, but for now I just eat shellfish in bulk. I go for foods high in phosphatidylserine and alpha lipoic acid as well. lol

Solaris1110

Smash Journeyman
Well from what i've read, the ALA omega 3's like in flax seed are different from the epa/dha in fish oil, and although it does convert to dha and epa, it does so at a very low rate.

Attila_

BRoomer
you're right, ALA is the 'least effective' of the omega 3s, but at the same time, fish oil contains no omega 6, which I consider one of the most important supps for exercisers. probably should double up, but I very much doubt I'd notice the difference.

M.K

Level 55
New Years Resolution Goal starts on Monday. I've had to keep putting it off due to school work (my AP Literature teacher finds it hilarious to assign 40 pages per night of Pride and Prejudice, and when you're the kid that needs the audiobook to not fall asleep from boredom, then you know its bad XD) and also I was overly stressed for my first college acceptance. (which, luckily I was accepted *points to title*).

But yeah, I'm aiming to go every single day. I've DEFINITELY fallen out of shape....again. I'm also going to try and eat healthier things. Off-campus lunch is dreadful for me.

But here's to being in shape maybe....I'll take a before and after picture ^_^;

EDIT:

Does anyone else listen to music when you work out? If so, what's your workout playlist like? Mine is a bunch of techno/dance/electronic music that pumps me up.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
I'm still doing the SL 5x5. Alternating A and B 3x a week.

A.
Squats 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Rows 5x5

B.
Squats 5x5
OHP 5x5
Deadlift 1x5.

Just deadlifted 225 last wed. The bar looks so pretty with two plates on each end =).

I might drive about 20 min off campus to an LA fitness I still have membership for just so I can squat, because the gym at my school has a place to squat but there is a bench on the way down so I can only go about halfway. Is it worth it?

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
ill have my goals up soon.

im in the gym 4 days a week.
currently im 180lbs
my goal is 200lbs

these are old BUT
deadlift - 315
squat - 235
bench - 185

*subscribing*

Attila_

BRoomer
I might drive about 20 min off campus to an LA fitness I still have membership for just so I can squat, because the gym at my school has a place to squat but there is a bench on the way down so I can only go about halfway. Is it worth it?
depends how low it is exactly, and your purpose for squatting. for the most part, you really don't have to go to parallel (or beyond) unless you are training to lift in that range specifically (in much the same way a competition power lifter would). put simply, the (inevitable) risk on your lower back doesn't outweigh the benefit, otherwise.

when teaching people to squat, i recommend them squat side on to a mirror. go down slowly, watching for the point at which the *** 'tucks under' the back. it's a very noticable change, and it varies greatly depending on lower back and glute flexibility. given that this position crushes the disc at L5-S1, i always advise people to squat just above this point.

so i probably wouldn't worry about driving to the other gym then, unless your rack restricts you from going to this point.

ill have my goals up soon.

im in the gym 4 days a week.
currently im 180lbs
my goal is 200lbs

these are old BUT
deadlift - 315
squat - 235
bench - 185

*subscribing*
why the big difference between your deadlift and squat? they should be relatively close together, unless your deadlift form is off. i'd get someone to check it.

should look like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF69K6awJh8

instead of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuieM_Shc1Y#t=01m20s

notice how the second guy is lifting prodominately with his back? this type of lifting places pressure on the bones/ligaments/joints of the lower back (which get injured), instead of the muscles (which get stronger).

Mugen Infinity

Smash Apprentice
I ran track (sprints, hurdles, high jump) in college, and performed very well there, but now I am focusing mostly on my upper body. I can do 33 legit dead-hang pull ups (not to be confused with chin ups), and my forearms, biceps, triceps, shoulders, and traps are starting to get really developed. I eat mostly fish, lettuce, hard boiled eggs, tuna, pasta, chicken, fruits, and vegetables, so I know my diet is good, but I don't count calories. Although I just signed up on fitday.com, so I'll probably find out exactly how much I'm eating soon. Just bought some whey protein a few weeks ago, figure that should help. My goal is 40 pull ups by March. Right now I bench 225lbs 3x10, squat 315lbs 3x10, and deadlift 285lbs 3x10 (lol, less than I squat). I would like to see all of those rise by about 10% during 2011. I've been physically active with running and "lifting" for years, but I only started doing those big 3 exercises about 18 months ago.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Woot. I'm up to 135 lbs on my squat now.

Not at all a lot, but it's awesome finally seeing a full plate on each end, rather then being that puny guy struggling to squat teacups.

Does anyone else listen to music when you work out? If so, what's your workout playlist like? Mine is a bunch of techno/dance/electronic music that pumps me up.
I'm liking the Fatboy Slim radio channel on Pandora.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-qFm4TdQEE

And I like the dancy electronic stuff for lifting, but a lot of it isn't good. Ooo, but Franz Fernidand, The Strokes, The Go! Team (really great stuff), The White Stripes, and that one song from the Inception soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imamcajBEJs

Ugh, Go Team is sooo good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0eso4ARXzk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMeJx1jP2C0&ob=av2em
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTBMzOycMSc

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
Bench pressing is really hard to do.

I was trying to do 170 5x5 today but I was only able to complete 5/5/5/4/3, and the sets that I did complete were very shaky.

Does anyone else feel that benching is their most difficult lift?

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Well, I dropped under 190 lbs but not the way I wanted to. Tonsillitis has me eating like 100 calories a day since Sunday. It's too strong for the antibiotics they gave me. Going to the hospital tomorrow to get my throat sliced open :(

Attila_

BRoomer
18... Dude... That sucks.

Once again, take it easy, and I'm sure you'll be fine. So unlucky though.

I on the other hand, and now dropped below 72kgs, which is the lowest I've been in two years. Not sure if it's a good thing or not.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Dang!! There was no abscess so I couldn't get sliced open! Now I'm on 10 (:() days of different antibiotics and some kind of corticosteroid (sp?) I got weighed at the hospital and I was 188 with pants jacket and shoes on, from 194 barefoot in light gym clothes on Sunday :urg:

edit: omg i still havent eaten but this steroid stuff has had me wide awake and active alllllll day ahh

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, been away from this place for a while. Just started working out again this week after a good month off.

I signed up for a free nutrition study at my university, and it was pretty neat. They had me answer a bunch of questionaires, stripped me down to my boxers and took these BMI photos I think? After that, they put me in a "bod pod" and tested my lungs and got an accurate reading on my BF.

16.6% is my current BF. Goal is to get it to 13-14% before Summer. Gonna be tough when I'm still trying to put on weight. Gonna have to eat lean.

Finally, I need help. I signed up for a weight lifting class to see what it was all about. It's two times a week, but the routines are a bit...well...I don't like them all that much. Here's an example for Tuesday...

Bench Press: 1x10 light weight. 2x10 full weight.
DB Row: 1x10 light weight. 2x10 full weight.
DB Shoulder Press: 1x10 light weight. 2x10 full weight.
Squats: 1x10 light weight. 2x10 full weight.

We're still in the "introduction" phase, so this week was all about practicing our "tuesday routine". Next week, we're gonna dive into the Thursday routine, but yeah...I don't like that one bit. She said we can add our own exercises as long as we do that routine. I'm used to doing a split so...yeah, would appreciate some help on what exercises I could implement.

I also work out a third day on my own. Usually do my standard routine before I took the month off.

Top Bottom