• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Featured Blog: For Black History Month: Thoughts from a Former Racist

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Link to original post: [drupal=3972]For Black History Month: Thoughts from a Former Racist [/drupal]

I used to be racist. There’re only a few people who I’ve told that to in recent years because, obviously, it’s something that I’m not proud of. It was a period of time in my life that only lasted about a year and a half but there’s a small side of me that still exists from that time. As you may have expected from the title of this essay, my prejudice was largely directed at black people and I feel that, to better understand how I am now, it is necessary to know how I once was. This paper isn’t for a class and, in truth, I haven’t written anything specifically for Black History month since the eighth grade when I did short report on Scott Joplin, the creator of ragtime and a former St. Louis resident. This essay is not only meant for me to reflect on how I am now and how I once was but for those that choose to read this to do the same for themselves as well as those I never was openly able to apologize to in person. It’s a shameful part of my past but I believe that it is necessary to share so bear with me as this former racist explains why he thinks black history month is significant.

I believe racism grows out of two things: conflict and misunderstanding. My first memory of conflict with black people was in the second grade. It was February and, for the first time in my school career, I had to recognize black history month. To commemorate the occasion, my teacher assigned the class to do a short report on Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. It was simple enough: write a page and draw a picture. For some reason, I decided to make mine a work of fiction. Everything I wrote was historically accurate except for a short little sentence at the end where I noted that I “blew up” MLK’s assassin because I “made a time machine and went back in time.” This was a phase of my life where I thought just about anything randomly blowing up was funny (although truthfully I’m still like this) and, despite it being harmless fun, my teacher wasn’t amused. This assignment still sticks out so much in my mind because it was the first assignment that I ever got anything lower than an A on. I got a C and, even at that age, it still left me pretty bitter. I didn’t understand why I had to do a report on him or why he was even that important. At the time, there was only a few black students in my grade and none of them were my friends so the subject matter meant even less to me. Until the 8th grade, Black History Month just became a giant annoyance to me.

I was a punk my 7th grade year. It was a time in my life when I genuinely hated myself and because of how I acted, I’m sure most people around me hated me too. It’s hard to sit here typing away like I am and sincerely say that I was terrible person at that time and deserved most of the conflicts I got myself into. I cussed, constantly, and one day I counted to find that I had done it over 200 times. I lied all the time to the point where I even lied to strangers about my name because I knew I’d get away with it. I told dirty jokes in front of just about everyone regardless of how offended they were except my parents. Above all, I was racist and was very open about it at school. Want to have a good idea on how racist I was? One of my assignments for that year was to do a report and presentation on one historical figure and guess who I chose; Adolf Hitler. I remember one of the big reasons why I did it was because I thought that he was “misunderstood” and that deterred most people from researching him. I was a miserable person who probably made other people’s skin crawl just by being in the same room as them. I even made other racists uncomfortable and that thought still chills me to the bone.

Racism/prejudice is like a tarp. You don’t just throw it over a few individuals you throw it over an entire people and then try to tie down the ends to prevent anyone from escaping. You take your frustrations with one person or a few and then decide to apply it to everyone like them, whether you know them or not. That’s basically what I did in the 7th grade. There were two blacks kids that made fun of me in particular and, because of them, I decided that I hated black people across the board. There were a lot of white kids who made fun of me too but I found what the two black kids to be more unforgiveable because they were different. I knew race was a touchy subject and I ran with it. I used words like “******” unapologetically and found my fair share of racist phrases and jokes from some of my friends. One of my favorite things that I liked to do at the time was to look up statistics that somehow “proved” that white people were better than black people. I remember one incident where I just about got push kicked “300 style” down a flight of stairs after I jeeringly noted that the leading cause of death of black men in America was being killed by another black man. To this day, I still don’t know why they or anyone else never told on me. There was even a couple of days when some of my classmates refused to talk to me after calling one of the black kids a “stupid ******” after being tagged out at first at a softball game during gym.

I was known by a few people as “that racist kid” at my school and my church and that was something a few people used to make fun of me for. There were only a few people who thought I was wholly justified for my beliefs including my grandfather (now deceased) who I learned some of my behavior from. Racism loves company so I sought out people who were like I was. I actually felt a lot of guilt when I was around people I knew that weren’t like I was but those feelings would quickly dissipate when I found someone who was. Something that most people don’t get about racists is that most know that their beliefs are morally wrong so they actively seek out others to bury those feelings. You’re a tool, you know that you’re a tool, and you do what you can to cover it up. You can be proven wrong about your beliefs but then you make yourself believe that a particular person is “an exception to the rule” or that a particular incident was “a fluke.” You also go out of your way to find something wrong (like how in recent years many racists had hay-days with Michael Jordon’s and Tiger Woods’ affairs) and then laude it over the entire group of people as if, collectively, it was their fault. No matter how ridiculous my comments were or how goofy I got with my stereotypes, there was always a layer of acid inside all of them even when I tried to convince myself that “I was only kidding, I don’t REALLY believe that.” It was completely destructive behavior and it would be in the summer of 2001 when I would turn my thoughts around.

The moment in my life when I started to really critically think about what all was wrong with being racist was when I went on a mission trip to Memphis, Tennessee shortly before the beginning of the 8th grade. Black people make up the majority of Memphis’s population and I was well aware of that. I wanted to help them not really for the sake of doing good but because I figured that the black people had messed up their communities so much that they now needed white people to help bail them out. (If you just bit your lower lip while reading that line, don’t worry, I did too.) I mentioned this to a few of my friends early in the trip and one swore he’d “knock my teeth out” if I ever said anything like that again. The group was split into different task forces and I ended up in the group that acted like a sort of day-care in a nearby park. It was there where I met Charles.

Charles was probably about six years old and he was black. His mom worked two jobs so she was out most of the day and there wasn’t anybody to watch over him until about 7 at night. From the get-go, he showed a lot of interest in me. I didn’t know why being how I was incredibly standoffish with even the white people in the group. I would sit by myself under a tree near the middle of park while everyone else sang, played, and made crafts. It was hot and disgustingly humid and I didn’t feel like putting too much effort into doing anything. I remember one of the adults asking me why I was even there and I didn’t even answer her. Charles would come up to me and ask me questions despite my hate for the city and the situation being all too visible. He talked loud and I held that against him and tried to keep conversations as short as possible. We were given a “Passion Cube” to help tell the story of Jesus’s life and I remember giving one of mine to him just so that he’d stop talking to me. Things continued like this for a few days and then I got my toy concertina (it’s like an accordion but with buttons) at the mall close to the Peabody Hotel in downtown Memphis. I quickly learned how to play a few songs on it and my playing really peaked his fascination. We then started talking about music and what all he liked to listen to, which was mostly rap.

After that day I got a lot more involved in the activities. I began to play with the other children and even made some crafts. One of the days, Charles painted a butterfly on a rock and gave it to me and I still have the rock at home to this day. I started to come along with the group when they picked up the kids at the beginning of the day and took them home when the sun started to set. Time passed and it was eventually the last day. While walking Charles home, he asked me about what I thought about rap. Now you have to understand that this question will send most racists into a tirade of epic proportions and is the equivalent of flipping him off with both hands while necking his girlfriend. Even now, rap is still my least favorite music genre but back then I had a fiery irrational hate for it that could inspire me to tear down buildings with my bare hands. I had grown to think of this kid like a little brother and I knew I couldn’t say what I really thought. I grinded my teeth and then I ended up spitting out what was probably the best lie of my entire life. I began to explain the history of African American music from how I understood it. I covered blues, jazz, rock n roll, as well as people like Ray Charles and Scott Joplin. This longwinded attempt of me avoiding putting my foot in my mouth ended with me calling rap “beautiful music” because it reflected a part of his culture. I think I heard and felt a few of my ribs break as I told that most epic of lies but he seemed satisfied and maybe even inspired. We eventually reached his house and he asked me if he would ever see me again. I told him that I would see him next summer but, unbeknownst to me at the time, my church would choose another location. I walked down his driveway and watched as he waved goodbye from a crack in the door and that was the last time I ever saw him.

Do you remember that scene in “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” when the Grinch is "standing with his feet ice cold in the snow" and then he asks "how can it be so" when he starts to come to terms that he's a bitter ******* and just needlessly pulled off one of the biggest acts of kleptomania in recorded history? I had one of those moments. My heart didn't suddenly "grow three sizes that day" but it did make me think about how I had been acting for the past year and a half. Why at one time did I needlessly hate this little boy just because he was black? Why did I hate the whole race when, in truth, I had only personally known maybe five black people up to that point in my life? These thoughts continued on for several weeks afterwards and it starting making sense to why so many people were so uncomfortable around me. I slowly began to change my ways. I stopped using racial slurs and I even apologized to one of the black kids that bullied me for taking things too far. I still cussed excessively and told jokes and stories that probably would have caused my mother to spontaneously combust but, by the next summer, I kicked those habits too. I'm grateful for that mission trip because it brought about a "personality cleaning" that I had desperately needed for a long time.

I will admit that, even now, I only have a few black friends and I didn't become friends with any until early 2009. I will also admit that I did lapse into my prejudice behavior in my high school years but this time with gay people until I started making gay friends at SEMO in early 2009 (but that's another story for another time). Perhaps I'm putting my character into a hole here but I will also admit that, although I don't tell them anymore, I will still laugh at racist jokes and stories. Nobody's perfect and I believe that's one of the big lessons that should be taken away from all of this.

Black History Month is significant because it shows that black people have a history. "So", you may say. "So does everyone else." That's exactly the point though. Everyone has a history. Everyone has dreams. Everyone has fears. Everyone wants love and to feel secure and to feel like that their life has some meaning to it. This really isn't a matter of "we're not so different, you and I" because the reality of things is, yes, there are people out there that are very different from you are but similarities still exist and you shouldn't become so obsessed with the differences that you never even acknowledge them. Not only should you celebrate diversity but you should also celebrate the individual. Someone may be black but they have a mind and heart and, unfortunately, this is a lesson that America is still trying to learn. Black History Month isn't about "White Guilt" (as I used to openly complain) but about providing a window into cultures and lifestyles we may not immediately relate to. With Black History Month being only a few days away, I would like to ask that at some point after reading this that you not only look at your own history and beliefs but people in your life whether they are your friends or not. All people have significance and coming to that conclusion can provide redemption, even for a former racist.

Fatmanonice, January 28th, 2011

“Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend.” -Martin Luther King Jr.

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.” -Thomas Paine

“No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgments are wrong. Only racists make them.” -Elie Wiesel

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Fascinating read, it sent shivers down my spine at the end. The perspective was an entirely new one to me too.

Kudos for writing this, much appreciated.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I was so ready to throw a chair if I read anything starting with "You're moving with your auntie".

Otherwise, powerful.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Man don't even start with the Bel Air jokes.

Anyway, this is probably the best blog I've read in ages.

Definitely going to be the first featured blog of 2011.

Yay.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Thanks for making this a featured blog. If anything, it was nice to reflect on how much I've changed in a decade but it's somewhat chilling too to know that I could have wound up as an enormous prick if I hadn't had changed my ways.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Once a Racist,
ALWAYS a Racist.
Yeah.

Don't make posts like this.

That said, I'm kind of glad you made that post, because I only happened upon this thread after somebody reported you for it. And this is a pretty great thread.

Thanks for posting it, Fatman. I'm glad you're not a racist any more.

EDIT: I assume you didn't like Bill Cosby while you were a racist?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Once a Racist,
ALWAYS a Racist.
Technically this is true and I kind of think of racism like alcoholism. (Yes, I am aware that psychologically and biologically there's a huge difference so nobody use that last comment as a jumping off point for a long winded rant.) As I said in my essay, I have retained some characteristics from that time. While I don't discriminate, use racial slurs, etc anymore, I still laugh at politically incorrect jokes/stories and I still make comments from time to time in my head. Also, as the song from Avenue Q goes, "Everyone's Just a Little Bit Racist" and a vast majority of people act really coy about it or keep it entirely to themselves. Actually, if you've never heard it before, that song perfectly describes how dishonest most people are when it comes to the subject.

Yeah.

Don't make posts like this.

That said, I'm kind of glad you made that post, because I only happened upon this thread after somebody reported you for it. And this is a pretty great thread.

Thanks for posting it, Fatman. I'm glad you're not a racist any more.

EDIT: I assume you didn't like Bill Cosby while you were a racist?
I was reported? Are you allowed to disclose any details why?

Regarding Bill Cosby, I didn't really start to get into his comedy and all the material YTMND produced about him until 2005. With that being said, no I didn't like him back then but, unlike other black celebrities like Chris Rock, I didn't go on big long rants about him.

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
Wow, that was really amazing. I'm surprised how you can be so comfortable telling thousands of people, but that is great that you have come to terms with that. I live in the Georgia, and being a high school student 95% of the student body is immature/racist, or (isn't this rich) "say the n-word for fun". That is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard, but I digress. I'm 14, not racist, and have never said that word in my life, but I laugh at some racist jokes, and it makes me feel like a horrible hipocrate when I look back.

I hate people who discriminate, weather it be against gays, blacks, ect, and it disturbs me when people are racist. It may not seem like a big deal, but it kinda leaves a hollow feeling inside of me. I chastise people for being racist, but I laugh at the jokes. I know when it's going to far and I say so to people, but is it not just as bad? I just kinda feel really horrible when I sit down and think about it, does anyone else agree?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Goddamn, that was a good read. I knew people were racist, but not THAT racist. And to think that there was an entire generation of white people probably worse than this about 40 years ago :urg:

This also made me think how racist I've been in the past. Well not racist, but I still hate myself every time I tell someone to stop being so gay when they do something stupid. Sure, they probably don't think much of it and everybody knows I'm not racist to anybody, but I still feel pretty bad every time I have to tell someone to stop being gay.

It also makes me think how ashamed I get at my father sometimes. I mean, he's a nice guy and everything, but for some reason he's racist towards black people (which is kinda funny because he's dark skinned himself). For some reason every time we pass by a black dominated neighborhood, he has to point it it's populated mostly by blacks. Every time a black person messes up while driving, he always has to point out that it had to be a black person and on even on one occasion I think I remember him saying that he hates black people

So yeah... I dunno :/

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wow, that was really amazing. I'm surprised how you can be so comfortable telling thousands of people, but that is great that you have come to terms with that. I live in the Georgia, and being a high school student 95% of the student body is immature/racist, or (isn't this rich) "say the n-word for fun". That is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard, but I digress. I'm 14, not racist, and have never said that word in my life, but I laugh at some racist jokes, and it makes me feel like a horrible hipocrate when I look back.

I hate people who discriminate, weather it be against gays, blacks, ect, and it disturbs me when people are racist. It may not seem like a big deal, but it kinda leaves a hollow feeling inside of me. I chastise people for being racist, but I laugh at the jokes. I know when it's going to far and I say so to people, but is it not just as bad? I just kinda feel really horrible when I sit down and think about it, does anyone else agree?
As I said earlier, everyone's a little bit racist to some degree but what makes the difference is how you carry yourself out with it. For example, the fact that you actually somewhat feel bad about laughing at racist jokes shows that you don't believe what is said in them. There's definitely a huge difference between thinking stereotypes are funny and thinking that stereotypes are true for everyone in a particular race. It's one thing to say things in your head from time to time and another to say them outloud.

@ Fuel-bee:

I personally think the gay arguement has been blown a little out of proportion. I think it's a stab at political correctness that really isn't nessecary because there's so many other examples that do the same and could be considered "equally offensive." For example, saying "that's ********" would technically be offensive to those that are mentally challenged, saying "that's lame" would technically be offensive to those that are physically handicapped, saying "that's dumb" would technically be offensive to those that can't speak or have crippling speech impediments, and "that's stupid" would technically be offensive to people with low IQs or mental handicaps. When you say those things, is your intention to degrade any of those groups? No, it's just common slang like using the word "gay" in such a context, not a homophobic statement. Also, as I have even been to gay bars and have a decent number of gay friends, I don't think I've ever run into one of them who has ever mentioned that they considered it offensive and, in fact, most of them use the phrase itself on a fairly regular basis.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Thoroughly enjoyable blog. Especially enjoyed the last paragraph.

I can't imagine how hard it must've been to be able to go public with something like this, but I'm glad you changed your mindset. I've been of the opinion that racism and prejudice will still be around for quite a while (maybe forever), but that doesn't make it any less powerful to see at least one person making a difference. It was definitely interesting to gain some first hand insight about this mentality from someone who used to have it.

It's made me think about a lot of things, like my own heritage and what I should be doing to fully appreciate what I have, and what people before me have done. I know I take a lot of things for granted like being able to have friends of any color, or just being able to read a textbook without repercussion. Glad you took the time to write this out, I really needed to read something like this right about now.

I hope we can take something away from this not just for the black community, but apply it to any group different from our own.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
I'm black, so I deal with racism on a daily basis.
(Getting followed around at stores, people assuming I do drugs or talk incorrectly, etc).

And it's really really really hard for me to go through life each day. (I definitely learn to keep my head up, though!)

But honestly, racism brings myself and I'm sure many many others down. I also live on a campus where it's up to 85% white.
I guess all I'm saying is, I'm glad that you have changed! It makes my life just a tad easier. My dream is to be able to walk outside without having to worry about being stared out, being called a monkey, or people afraid of me. I only wish people can accept my heart, and my love for the world, as well as my skin color.

I also remember being younger, and wishing I were white (and this is when I was around 7 mind you) because of how well everyone else was treated and how poorly I was treated. Being at an art camp and being the only black child; the teacher treated me poorly. I sat on the bus by myself each day, and we were a poor family so while everyone had amazing lunches I sat alone eating left over chips that I try and save for the next day and the next. I was extremely envious of white children and adults. And I'm really happy I've overcame that and accepted myself for who I am, but this is when I was only a child. And it amazes me to this day that if a child can think like that then there is obvious something wrong.

I still do admit that I have some self-esteem issues as a female. Mainly because I always hear guys saying, "I will never date a black woman!" or, "Black women are ugly!" And it puts so much pressure on me because I realize it will be very difficult for me to find someone I can settle down with. I always wanted to get married, have children and live a happy and wonderful life. But I know how difficult that will be for me just because of how I was born. I wouldn't want to date anyone that judges me based on my skin, but I still occasionally get those self-esteem issues.

The worse part of it all, is that I hear black men saying this the most! Black men, white men, Asian men, etc all wouldn't want to date me. And it breaks my heart sometimes. But I definitely know that there will be someone out there!
Sorry, I kind of ranted! All I'm saying is, the less racism the better! There's not much I can do to change the whole world, but I hope people will change one person at a time. The world is a gorgeous place, and I think we've all became so materialistic and judgmental to see the world and its people and how simply amazing everything is!

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
(Getting followed around at stores, people assuming I do drugs or talk incorrectly, etc).

And it's really really really hard for me to go through life each day. (I definitely learn to keep my head up, though!)
Wow seriously?

Funny how Americans call us racist then pull off **** like that. >.>

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
This also reminds me how many gringos will call me out on being Mexican, even when I'm not, on any game that has mic capabilities, just because I forgot to turn off the mic and said oh my God once.

Really annoying when you have to play CoD without your mic if you have some crap like Turtle Beaches :/

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

But honestly, racism brings myself and I'm sure many many others down. I also live on a campus where it's up to 85% white.
I guess all I'm saying is, I'm glad that you have changed! It makes my life just a tad easier. My dream is to be able to walk outside without having to worry about being stared out, being called a monkey, or people afraid of me. I only wish people can accept my heart, and my love for the world, as well as my skin color.

The first black friend I ever had was a girl and I met her in early 2009. She became really attached to me quickly and within a couple of months she wanted to know if we could start dating. I turned her down because I knew that us dating would cause problems. I'm white, 6'7, and lanky as all get out and she's black and has the body shape of an apple. I knew there would be racial issues, not from me, but from some of our friends and family. I knew people would make fun of us for our differences and I didn't want her to endure that for my sake. For years, an ongoing joke between me and my dad would be that everytime he opened a fortune cookie he'd say it said "You'll marry a large black woman" and then give it to me so I knew that no one in my family would let me hear the end of it as long as I dated her. There was also the unlying fear of how she'd react if she found out how I used to be. She was one of the first people I became genuinely close to in years and after I turned her down, we slowly started to drift apart. It hurt (and still hurts, admitably) because I had come so far in my views but knew that most people around me hadn't. Love is color blind but most people are just blind to begin with.

I can relate when you mentioned that you have a hard time finding someone to date but my issue is my religious views. I'm an agnostic-theist and, of course, I live in a country and state that is predominately Christian. A lot of people are inherently suspicious of me simply because I'm "non-religious" so, to a degree, I can understand what you say when you mention that people are irrationally afraid of you. I'm a political and religious minority so it has come with its own fair share of problems. Obviously, they don't nearly compare to the hardships you've faced because I didn't choose my lifestyle until my college years and you were born the way you were. Still, thank you for sharing your own experience here.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sorry, I kind of ranted! All I'm saying is, the less racism the better! There's not much I can do to change the whole world, but I hope people will change one person at a time. The world is a gorgeous place, and I think we've all became so materialistic and judgmental to see the world and its people and how simply amazing everything is!
Day, you are one of the most optimistic people I've come across. I am old, bitter, and cynical, and completely convinced that we will all end up killing each other. And if the world ends in a race war, my neighborhood is going to be ground zero.

But I know there are guys out there who prefer black women.

Flutter NiTE

Smash Lord
I live in a little redneck town where people come into school with a Swastika on there backpack, and Teachers just don't say anything. That being said, it is difficult for me not to be influenced, since it is just all I see.

I don't hate black people, but rather, I hate some of the paths that they decided to take. (As far as wearing pants down to there knees, stealing, shooting, etc). I'm not saying thats every black person, but the ones that are like that, are quite upsetting to me personally.

Same with Rednecks. I hate them, i'm sorry if i offend anyone, but I can't stand them. That doesn't mean i'm racist of my own race, it means that i'm against the certain paths that people take.

I really think that if Racism was eliminated, World Peace could come closer to a possibility.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
But I know there are guys out there who prefer black women.
They usually aren't the kinda guys you'd wanna settle down with though (if they're white that is).

In any case, it'll be easy enough to settle down with a black guy. That may sound kinda mean, but tbh, society is gay when it comes to interracial marriages. White parents will have a heart attack, the black parents will hate it just as much, society will give your hard time, kids will give your children a hard time unless they're attractive (lol).

Course if you and a white guy happen to fall in love then go for it anyway because **** everyone else amirite? BUT, we all know the world is mad racist so, convenience ftw.

Blarg I'm Dead

Smash Apprentice
I live in a little redneck town where people come into school with a Swastika on there backpack, and Teachers just don't say anything. That being said, it is difficult for me not to be influenced, since it is just all I see.

I don't hate black people, but rather, I hate some of the paths that they decided to take. (As far as wearing pants down to there knees, stealing, shooting, etc). I'm not saying thats every black person, but the ones that are like that, are quite upsetting to me personally.

Same with Rednecks. I hate them, i'm sorry if i offend anyone, but I can't stand them. That doesn't mean i'm racist of my own race, it means that i'm against the certain paths that people take.

I really think that if Racism was eliminated, World Peace could come closer to a possibility.
Of course world peace would be a closer possibility, but the only prevention for racism is education and being open minded. Other factors like environment also come into play, but that's a different story.

From living in Florida and having a share of black friends, I'd say I have a better understanding than the average person.

There's racial trash for both black and white people. With whites it isn't as obvious or is overlooked because the majority of people in the US are white. For every redneck/white trash, there's a handful of decent whites.

Because of history and upbringing false or not quite correct stereotypes are still maintained. "******s" are the black equivalent to white trash. No one likes them, including decent black people [much like how white people don't like white trash]. I'd go to say most black people dislike ******s as much or more than the typical white person. Mostly because of the stereotypes that cross boundaries and affects decent black people who don't fall into that category.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
You see intelligent people will just call that "being a ****", which isn't exactly a race exclusive thing.

Of course, due to upbringing and culture, each racial group has its own special kind of ****s, but it's the same general idea that they're just ****s.

Of course the difference is the worst of black culture is what is always portrayed in the media (not really help by gangsta rap and the classless artists), whereas of course, Jews white people control the media so as all know, white people generally look good.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
They usually aren't the kinda guys you'd wanna settle down with though (if they're white that is).
I was actually talking about black guys who prefer black women. Where I am though, I see more Asian guys dating black girls than white guys dating black girls. Just random observations.

On the subject of "white trash," I tend to avoid using that term. It's applied to poor whites more often than not, and I can't really blame someone for being poor. That goes for "trash" of any color.

But since we're talking racism, my family used to not get seated at Denny's. It was kind of funny. They'd leave us in the waiting area for an hour or more. They probably thought we'd leave eventually. My parents just kept waiting until they seated us. It happened every time we went to a Denny's, which just made it even more hilarious. Then I think they got sued and had to change their policy.

I also know a girl who used to work at Abercrombie and Fitch. They kept her busy in the stock room and away from customers because she was "too brown."

I could go on, but we'll save that for another day.

Savon

Smash Ace
People can always change. I will admit I immediately took a dislike to you when I read the title of your blog, but that quickly changed as I read your story. As a black male I can honestly say that was an amazing read. It gives me a lot of hope to know that people can change, and your story will always be a constant reminder of that.

DBSammy

Smash Ace
Earlier today, I was watching a video about the civil rights movement. It had brought up the Emmit Till murder. The two men who did it beat him, mutilated him, shot him in the head, the dumped him in a river. All because he was talking to a white woman. They were found not guilty by an all-white jury, and because of double jeopardy, they sold their story to a reporter for $4000 and the law couldn't do a damn thing about it. This made me mad on the inside for a while. Until I read this. Like Savon I took an immediate dislike because of the title because I am also black. But this blog gave me hope of better days. That people can change. And this blog will remind me always.

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman

I hate rednecks, but I hate people who think that everyone from the south is a redneck. I'm from North Georgia, have lived here for 14 years. I have no accent, I don't like NASCAR, I don't like country music, I'm a trumpet player in the band, I spend 97% of my free time inside, ect, ect, and while I fit none of the general description of a "redneck", I'm automatically one just because I'm from Georgia?
It honestly makes me embaressed to be from the south sometimes, considering 9/10(literally, that is sadly the honest number) people I know say the n-word 3-4 times a day, but then I think "what the hell does it mean to be from "the south""? It's a direction! Why group 80 million people as tobacco chewing, country music loving racists? Why group people at all? I know people like that, I know plenty, but why? What is the point in grouping millions of people together based on 2-3 pointless descriptors? I just don't get why the human race feels compeled to single out people? Why can't it just be PEOPLE, instead of black and white, Christian and Muslim, North and South? The world would be such a better place if people weren't obsessed with devision, with primitive thoughts of supremacy.

Anyway, WOO! Ranty! That was fun!

Moses.

Smash Journeyman
I hate rednecks, but I hate people who think that everyone from the south is a redneck. [...] Why can't it just be PEOPLE, instead of black and white, Christian and Muslim, North and South? The world would be such a better place if people weren't obsessed with devision, with primitive thoughts of supremacy.
You mean like your own thoughts of supremacy toward rednecks?

Top Bottom