• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Round Robin Bracket Hybrid Format

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Hey everyone,

In Michigan we've decided to mix things up for an upcoming tourney by running a round robin/bracket hybrid for loser's bracket of Melee singles. We think this format puts more weight on ability to defeat a variety of players and playing styles, resulting in more accurate final placings, not to mention more playing time for people who don't make it very far into the bracket. What do players and TOs in other regions think about this?

Blank Bracket:

Example:

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I like this. It's also neat how when you're in say, Winners' Round 5 you go to Losers' Round 5, rather than Losers' Round 7 or something like that (since people both come and go in Losers'). Makes it more elegant that way. It also gives more rankings out, rather than the endless amounts of ties.

I'm all for it.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
This is a pretty neat idea, I'll give it a go at my next tournament.

I recently gave the Swiss RR format a try, and most people seemed to enjoy it at first, but it ended up becoming pretty taxing by the end of the tournament. I did 6 rounds of Swiss into an 8 man bracket and even the folks who didn't make brackets were pretty exhausted. That's the only real problem I can see with this format also.

So in the example provided here you have a 32 man bracket. Let's say Kels loses his first round but then proceeds to win every round into grand finals. He'd have to play 14 sets by the end of the tournament. While this particular case is pretty unlikely, that's a LOT of smash for anyone to play in tournament. I guess this isn't necessarily a problem, but it's definitely something that you might wanna keep in mind.

Oh but for things that could/should change - I feel bad for the players that go 0-2. A lot of times those kids are the ones that want to play the game the most, but then get completely wrecked and never wanna come back. It'd be really discouraging to attend a tournament that promotes more playtime for less experienced players, and then end up going 2 and out. My only suggestion would be to play an initial round of pools during the first round of losers and have the top 2 advance. Of course I'm sure you've noticed the problem here would be - what to do if the top 2 players happen to be from same branch of the bracket (top or bottom). In this case I'd just take the simple route and rename the players. Yes this'll change the perception of "who beat who" for the first round of the tournament, but since we're already tinkering with the bracket for the new tournament format, I wouldn't be too concerned with the bracket image looks like at the end.

Big_R

Smash Champion
i get hella tired at tournys but at small local ones that get the same attendance i think it's a great idea.

even with exhuastion it might be awesome. once i "got it" i was amazed haha.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
This is a pretty neat idea, I'll give it a go at my next tournament.

I recently gave the Swiss RR format a try, and most people seemed to enjoy it at first, but it ended up becoming pretty taxing by the end of the tournament. I did 6 rounds of Swiss into an 8 man bracket and even the folks who didn't make brackets were pretty exhausted. That's the only real problem I can see with this format also.

So in the example provided here you have a 32 man bracket. Let's say Kels loses his first round but then proceeds to win every round into grand finals. He'd have to play 14 sets by the end of the tournament. While this particular case is pretty unlikely, that's a LOT of smash for anyone to play in tournament. I guess this isn't necessarily a problem, but it's definitely something that you might wanna keep in mind.
I don't think this is an issue at all. It's true that someone who pulls a Mango at Pound 3 would have to labor through 14 sets with all those round-robins, but they would have to play 11 sets through grand finals under the traditional double-elimination bracket, too. That difference isn't quite significant enough to be addressed, and the scenario is also extremely unlikely to happen like you mentioned. On the TO's part, I guess seeding/placement would have to be done extremely carefully for winner's bracket to minimize the chances of a top player making an early exit. But there should already be enough incentive for those top players to stay alive in winners.

Oh but for things that could/should change - I feel bad for the players that go 0-2. A lot of times those kids are the ones that want to play the game the most, but then get completely wrecked and never wanna come back. It'd be really discouraging to attend a tournament that promotes more playtime for less experienced players, and then end up going 2 and out. My only suggestion would be to play an initial round of pools during the first round of losers and have the top 2 advance. Of course I'm sure you've noticed the problem here would be - what to do if the top 2 players happen to be from same branch of the bracket (top or bottom). In this case I'd just take the simple route and rename the players. Yes this'll change the perception of "who beat who" for the first round of the tournament, but since we're already tinkering with the bracket for the new tournament format, I wouldn't be too concerned with the bracket image looks like at the end.
You read my mind. I've thought about running eight round-robins as the 1st round of losers to ensure no two-and-outs, but you're right that if the top two of a round-robin were to come from the same branch it would complicate things. I mean, this tourney format is pretty much incompatible with tio to begin with, and I was planning on just typing out the names onto a blank bracket in Photoshop... so with a little extra manual TO work, it could easily be done. Definitely still considering it. Thanks for bringing up some excellent points. Let me know if you'd like a copy of my blank bracket, I have a .psd file ready to go.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Hobbes said:
I don't think this is an issue at all. It's true that someone who pulls a Mango at Pound 3 would have to labor through 14 sets with all those round-robins, but they would have to play 11 sets through grand finals under the traditional double-elimination bracket, too.
Yeah, with 11 vs 14 sets it's not too big of a deal. The only problem I can see is if I decided to do that extra round of pools for first round losers. 11 vs 17 is actually pretty significant. Again though, extremely unlikely.

edit: oh and if you could send me the .psd file that'd be great.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
wait wtf is going on, I'm trying to set up tournaments in madison, and now there is something new I need to know about, I don't understand this.

Ace55

Smash Lord
This seems like a great idea. For new players, only playing two sets kinda defeats the purpose of getting more tourney experience. I've always included pools for this reason, but I might check this out.

Zone

Smash Champion
yeah the people in the circles play eachother like you would in pools, and I guess the top 2 progress on to create 2 members for the next pool combined with the 2 winners of a different circle group.

2 red circle winners go on to group up with the other 2 circle red winners to create the green group to play a new round robin(pools style of play). rinse repeate.

EDIT: this method would also prove to make way more tight matchups happen.

Random Example: Did you want to see Dashizwiz vs Amsah? (Assuming they hit losers) Well it's WAY more likely the matchups you want to see will happen. because people are forced to play people they otherwise usually wouldn't have to.

Less crying about bracket **** too.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Doesn't really help the people going 2 and out, but I definitely like the idea because of all the awesome matchups and more playing in general. If you did this along with an mini-amateur bracket for everyone who goes 2 and out (it would just be for fun, or maybe to waive venue for the winner or something) then everyone would benefit. This also seems like it would help out TOs because there are less matches to call. They can just get the 4 people in each pool, assign them to 2 TVs, and let them play it out. Of course I might be idealizing how smoothly that would go.

Juggleguy, are you going to do a Melee 2010 Year in Review? :awesome:

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Yeah, I'm writing a 2010 Melee Year in Review. The thing keeping me from completing it is the disturbing lack of photos from national events last year. If someone could link me to any online album where some kinds of pictures were taken at Pound 4, APEX, or RoM 3, it would be greatly appreciated.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Am I getting this right?

For the modified idea, the losers of Round 1 are put into groups of 4 and the top two advance.
The winners of LR1 and the losers of WR2 go to LR2 and once again are grouped in fours, but now only the top player advances.
Rinse/repeat: winners of LR2 and losers of WR3 go to LR3

In other words:

Round 1: unchanged
Winners: unchanged
Losers R1: Losers grouped into fours and play a RR; top two advance
Losers R2: Two who advanced from LR1 (I assume it'd have to be different pools or else two players would play each other in two consecutive RRs) and two who lost in WR1 are grouped into fours and play a RR; top two advance
Losers R3: Winners of two different LR2 pools and losers of two different WR3 matches are grouped into fours and play a RR; top two advance
Repeat until losers RR after winners' semis; the winner of this final pool plays the loser of Winners' Finals (in Losers' Finals, and the winner of this match plays the winner of WF in GF)

This does make a lot of sense, but could potentially double the length of Losers'...where three matches would normally be played (ie to eliminate 3 players in losers) now six or more must be played (ie to crown a champion of a four-player RR and eliminate three players, even when not accounting for tiebreaker matches/sets
And also, it would decrease the hype of matches...regular player A could beat amazing player B, which would normally be incredibly hype and be a massive upset and so on, but if regular player A loses to good players C and D while amazing player B beats good players C and D, amazing player B would still advance...the standings would be
1. B 2-1 (advances on h2h)
2. C/D 2-1
3. D/C 1-2 (ahead on h2h)
4. A 1-2

Rat

Smash Lord
Ok I'm not 100% sold on this.

The main problem is after you lose a set in RR, it's pretty much pointless. You are guaranteed more matches (compared to being Knocked out right away.) Yet without the chance to move on any extra matches you play feels like a glorified friendly.

I'd almost rather be Knocked out, then have more time to play friendlies and MM than be forced to play a few extra matches.

There should be some incentive to fight for second seed.

I still want to try it a couple more times.

voorhese

Smash Master
well i guess that makes sense, but then again there are still ties that can occur and u would get a 2nd shot

also i think this would get rid of placings like

13. so and so
13. ajhsga
13. asiugld

because u would just be placed based on ur RR performance

so if u care about placings that dont matter also u should try

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Am I getting this right?

For the modified idea, the losers of Round 1 are put into groups of 4 and the top two advance.
The winners of LR1 and the losers of WR2 go to LR2 and once again are grouped in fours, but now only the top player advances.
Rinse/repeat: winners of LR2 and losers of WR3 go to LR3

In other words:

Round 1: unchanged
Winners: unchanged
Losers R1: Losers grouped into fours and play a RR; top two advance
Losers R2: Two who advanced from LR1 (I assume it'd have to be different pools or else two players would play each other in two consecutive RRs) and two who lost in WR1 are grouped into fours and play a RR; top two advance
Losers R3: Winners of two different LR2 pools and losers of two different WR3 matches are grouped into fours and play a RR; top two advance
Repeat until losers RR after winners' semis; the winner of this final pool plays the loser of Winners' Finals (in Losers' Finals, and the winner of this match plays the winner of WF in GF)

This does make a lot of sense, but could potentially double the length of Losers'...where three matches would normally be played (ie to eliminate 3 players in losers) now six or more must be played (ie to crown a champion of a four-player RR and eliminate three players, even when not accounting for tiebreaker matches/sets
And also, it would decrease the hype of matches...regular player A could beat amazing player B, which would normally be incredibly hype and be a massive upset and so on, but if regular player A loses to good players C and D while amazing player B beats good players C and D, amazing player B would still advance...the standings would be
1. B 2-1 (advances on h2h)
2. C/D 2-1
3. D/C 1-2 (ahead on h2h)
4. A 1-2
What I bolded is the only incorrect part. Losers 1st Round remains unchanged and the round robins only begin in Losers 2nd Round.

It does NOT double the length of losers, not even close. Normally someone plays one set for the chance to advance one round in losers. Under this format, you play three sets for the chance to advance two rounds in losers. That only adds seven extra sets total to the entire tourney.

It also does not decrease hype at all. We tried this yesterday at a tourney in Michigan and I think it's safe to say the format actually increased hype by a considerable amount. It pretty much guarantees competitive pools due to the way they're created, so the final couple round robins were extremely interesting to play out and/or watch for us.

And we already addressed the tiebreaker situation by making clear that:

Ties are broken by
1) number of sets won
2) head-to-head matchup
3) overall winning percentage in games

If still tied (only possible with a 3-way tie), each player will face off against their two opponents again in a one-game playoff. Make sure to keep track of stock counts; if there is yet another tie in sets and winning percentage, the player who loses the fewest stocks is the winner of the round-robin.

Armada

Smash Lord
People are saying Bo5 takes to long time so i can´t see how this would be possible in this persons eyes.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
The idea is interesting, but flawed. A regular DE bracket is based around the number of sets won by each player. If a player goes to losers, he has to win two sets in GF, because otherwise he'd be able to win the tournament while winning just as much sets as the player who won WF.

As easily conjectured, the problem lies in the number of sets necessary to win the tournament. If a player wins the tournament by advancing through the losers bracket, which in your case is a combination of a bracket and a RR tournament, he has won more sets than any player who advanced to GF through winners. Thus factually speaking, this player has proven himself to be capable of beating more players than the person thought to be the best. My point: the idea is unfair for the players in losers bracket, for the winner is better than the best in WB, and the loser is disadvantaged more than what is currently considered fair.

I very much like the idea, but for the outcome of the tournament to be valid or fair to any degree, the winner's bracket needs to have the same format. Or... using a regular DE bracket.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
The idea is interesting, but flawed. A regular DE bracket is based around the number of sets won by each player. If a player goes to losers, he has to win two sets in GF, because otherwise he'd be able to win the tournament while winning just as much sets as the player who won WF.

As easily conjectured, the problem lies in the number of sets necessary to win the tournament. If a player wins the tournament by advancing through the losers bracket, which in your case is a combination of a bracket and a RR tournament, he has won more sets than any player who advanced to GF through winners. Thus factually speaking, this player has proven himself to be capable of beating more players than the person thought to be the best. My point: the idea is unfair for the players in losers bracket, for the winner is better than the best in WB, and the loser is disadvantaged more than what is currently considered fair.

I very much like the idea, but for the outcome of the tournament to be valid or fair to any degree, the winner's bracket needs to have the same format. Or... using a regular DE bracket.
Your entire post makes no sense. Under a normal double-elim bracket, you also have to play several more sets in losers than you do in winners. Under this hybrid format, it's almost the exact same number of sets in losers for someone who is a threat to win the tournament unless they get eliminated in one of the very first rounds in winners, which is extremely unlikely. You say beating people in losers takes more skill than beating people in winners... that's completely wrong. Players who are in losers bracket have already lost a set in winners bracket; the average skill level in losers bracket is lower. Someone who beats more people in losers does not deserve anything more than someone who beats fewer people but stays alive in winners.

Ok I'm not 100% sold on this.

The main problem is after you lose a set in RR, it's pretty much pointless. You are guaranteed more matches (compared to being Knocked out right away.) Yet without the chance to move on any extra matches you play feels like a glorified friendly.

I'd almost rather be Knocked out, then have more time to play friendlies and MM than be forced to play a few extra matches.

There should be some incentive to fight for second seed.

I still want to try it a couple more times.
A much more valid criticism of the hybrid format. We found that this is a non-issue in the later round robins (3rd and 4th round losers) due to the highly competitive nature of the round robin matchups - the bracket is designed to produce a group of four players who should be very close in skill level if seeding is done correctly. However, it can be an issue in the 2nd round losers round robin. It's true that players who lose their first set of a round robin might not completely throw in the towel, but even so, they don't have the same sense of urgency to advance like they would in a traditional double-elim bracket match. I think this can be solved in future hybrid format tourneys by having everyone play at the same time. Since there are four round robins in 2nd round losers, make each round robin play their first two sets at the same time. TOs could even go a step further and have pool monitors record results and hide them from the players until after the round robin is over, but I don't think that's quite necessary.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Your entire post makes no sense. Under a normal double-elim bracket, you also have to play several more sets in losers than you do in winners. Under this hybrid format, it's almost the exact same number of sets in losers for someone who is a threat to win the tournament unless they get eliminated in one of the very first rounds in winners, which is extremely unlikely. You say beating people in losers takes more skill than beating people in winners... that's completely wrong. Players who are in losers bracket have already lost a set in winners bracket; the average skill level in losers bracket is lower. Someone who beats more people in losers does not deserve anything more than someone who beats fewer people but stays alive in winners.
Of course my post doesn't make sense, very nice attitude. However, check any bracket: the number of sets won for the winner is always the same (depending on the number of entrants).

And secondly, I was not saying beating a single opponent in losers takes more skill. Nonetheless, beating multiple people (more people) does take more skill. I'll illustrate how this is true: let's say m2k goes to losers, because he lost to Mango. Instead of facing a single opponent every round in losers, he now has to face both Hungrybox and Amsah in the same pool. And despite the fact that Mango is better than M2k, fighting M2k alone is easier than fighting Amsah and Hungrybox.

By allowing this format, you are changing the philosophy behind the losers bracket and making losers bracket harder than winners bracket.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
How is that any different than in a traditional double-elim bracket, where M2K would go to losers and have to face Amsah and Hungrybox anyway? Losers bracket has always been "more difficult" because you have to play more sets. This format effectively creates damage control for unfortunate matchups in losers by requiring a comprehensive round-robin for the chance to advance two traditional rounds. Yes, it comes at the expense of an extra set here and there, but with proper execution by the TO and proper understanding by all players involved, there is no groundbreaking chance in philosophy behind the bracket. The best and most deserving player almost assuredly comes out of each round-robin to advance two traditional rounds, and in the process it is extremely fun to watch a pool of evenly matched players fight it out.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
What I bolded is the only incorrect part. Losers 1st Round remains unchanged and the round robins only begin in Losers 2nd Round.
I was referring to the idea that a few people had where the RR would be extended to Losers Round 1 so people wouldn't go 2-and-out.

It does NOT double the length of losers, not even close. Normally someone plays one set for the chance to advance one round in losers. Under this format, you play three sets for the chance to advance two rounds in losers. That only adds seven extra sets total to the entire tourney.

It also does not decrease hype at all. We tried this yesterday at a tourney in Michigan and I think it's safe to say the format actually increased hype by a considerable amount. It pretty much guarantees competitive pools due to the way they're created, so the final couple round robins were extremely interesting to play out and/or watch for us.

And we already addressed the tiebreaker situation by making clear that:

Ties are broken by
1) number of sets won
2) head-to-head matchup
3) overall winning percentage in games

If still tied (only possible with a 3-way tie), each player will face off against their two opponents again in a one-game playoff. Make sure to keep track of stock counts; if there is yet another tie in sets and winning percentage, the player who loses the fewest stocks is the winner of the round-robin.
Ah, thanks.

Bones0

Smash Legend
@Jumpman

I know what you mean when you say it sounds unfair to loser's because that was my initial impression, but just realize that if you win in your pool in loser's you are essentially advancing more than a single round. To say it is harder to go through loser's than it is to go through winner's is also false. While you have to win multiple sets to advance, you would also have to LOSE multiple sets to get knocked out. Pools doesn't change the difficulty in advancing, it only makes it a more accurate depiction of skill because more games are being played, and this accurate decision of skill is used to send players relatively "further" through the loser's bracket than in a regular double elimination where you advance one player at a time.

Most people know that the ideal tournament would be all round robin, where everyone plays everyone else. This doesn't work because of time constraints. The next best option would probably be playing a single round of double elim, and then all the players who lost play a Round Robin and all the players who won would play a Round Robin. This would also take too long. You can expand this idea down until you are running pools on just a portion of each round of the bracket in LR2. We could use a bracket system where you have pools both in winner's as well as loser's, but then you'd probably have the better players *****ing because from my experience, the people who win money don't want to waste their time crapping on kids who can't wavedash in pools. The solution therefore is to only put pools in loser's so players who don't place in the money get more matches, and the players who do place in the money don't have to be bored playing inexperienced players in pools.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
How is that any different than in a traditional double-elim bracket, where M2K would go to losers and have to face Amsah and Hungrybox anyway? Losers bracket has always been "more difficult" because you have to play more sets. This format effectively creates damage control for unfortunate matchups in losers by requiring a comprehensive round-robin for the chance to advance two traditional rounds. Yes, it comes at the expense of an extra set here and there, but with proper execution by the TO and proper understanding by all players involved, there is no groundbreaking chance in philosophy behind the bracket. The best and most deserving player almost assuredly comes out of each round-robin to advance two traditional rounds, and in the process it is extremely fun to watch a pool of evenly matched players fight it out.
1) False, let go of that.
2) If the same format isn't used in winners, the most deserving player does not in any way come out on top.
3) Stop ignoring everything I post. If you want to be critisized, don't ignore everything.

Edit: @Bones0

You are correct, but in your post you ignore the conflicts I posted earlier. Yes, it IS more accurate, but you ignore everything else.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I mostly ignored your first post because almost everything you said in it is wrong. If you really want me to break it down, I guess I can...

-Jumpman- said:
No it isn't. A regular double-elim bracket requires someone to win 6 straight sets in winners to place 1st, or 11 straight sets in losers to place 1st if they get knocked out early. You keep stating that the hybrid format is unfair to those in losers... yet under a traditional double-elim format, it's just as "unfair" to those in losers.

-Jumpman- said:
As easily conjectured, the problem lies in the number of sets necessary to win the tournament. If a player wins the tournament by advancing through the losers bracket, which in your case is a combination of a bracket and a RR tournament, he has won more sets than any player who advanced to GF through winners.
There is no problem in the number of sets necessary to win the tournament. Someone who is a threat to win the entire tournament is either unaffected (because they make it to winners finals) or has to play one or two extra sets in losers. At most, they'd have to play three extra sets, but that scenario is extremely unlikely and can only happen if a player who is a threat to win the tournament is defeated in 1st round winners. 99.9% of the time, someone who is defeated in 1st round winners is not a threat to win the tournament, and is not qualified to worry about having to win three extra sets. The other .1% of the time either comes from awful seeding by the TO or a complete sandbag effort by the "top" player, and in that case it would be justified to force him/her to win extra sets in losers to get to grand finals.

-Jumpman- said:
Thus factually speaking, this player has proven himself to be capable of beating more players than the person thought to be the best. My point: the idea is unfair for the players in losers bracket, for the winner is better than the best in WB, and the loser is disadvantaged more than what is currently considered fair.
A player who runs through losers is capable of beating more players, but not better players, so he/she does not deserve anything more than a player who survives through to winners finals. The idea is not unfair for players in losers bracket because they are playing on average one extra set in the entire tourney. Even in the absolute worst case scenario, they are playing 14 sets instead of 11 sets, which is a small difference.

-Jumpman- said:
The hybrid format has been tested twice and TOs on both sides have all agreed that the hybrid format is more fair than a double-elim bracket. Placings are nearly impossible to argue against; results truly indicate who the best players are, and that's the entire purpose of hosting a tournament. Late matches in losers bracket are more hyped because they take place inside a round-robin that is inherently designed to be highly competitive. And there are fewer consequences to unfortunate character-specific or region-specific matchups in losers bracket because the round-robin requires a comprehensive test against a variety of playing styles, resulting in the best player advancing two "traditional" rounds.

Please don't post in my thread again unless you have valid points to discuss and can actually back them up with arguments. I don't mean to attack you personally, but based on what you've said in this thread so far, the only conclusion I can come to is that you simply don't understand how this hybrid format works.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
jumpman you dont understand this or normal double elim brackets by the looks of this

losers bracket clearly includes almost twice as many rounds as winners bracket, maybe you should look at the image in the first post before you tell other people to look at an image

what you dont seem to understand is that, in this format, if youre in losers bracket, you play 3 people in a RR to count for 2 rounds. in a normal double elim bracket, you would play 2 of those 3 people for the same result. if m2k loses to mango in winners and ends up in losers right next to amsah and hungrybox in a bracket, he'll play them and need to beat both of them. in this format, he actually might only have to beat one of them and then get a tie deal, so its actually more fair

you are just plain incorrect on all of your arguments

juggleguy gave you a big post and told you not to respond but i was still kind of disappointed in you and wanted to tell you to be a little more respectful myself

Top Bottom