• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snowpocalypse

Dnyce

Smash Master
So, I guess I stumbled upon an option to beating blizzard walls... using Rich's Falco advice on how to beat Jab. Basically you want to SDI up and in to blizzard and use fair when Popo is falling.

From my understanding of playing as/against ICs is that blizzard has the most stun (or hitboxes) where it is shot out from, and this decreases as blizzard fans out - meaning if you keep to the outside, you can get through with little resistance in trying to hit them. For instance, sometimes you'll see in videos when a metaknight gets caught in blizzard he can get out at the top and dair. This is pretty much the same thing.

Doing this when Popo falls is the key, since it capitalizes on several mechanics. The first is basic SDI; Since we want to SDI UP and IN, going in when Popo falls helps us get through half the work of SDI'ing the move. I should mention the point of entry is at the top.

The second is the mechanics of blizzard; The closer you are to blizzard, the higher your chances are of freezing. If you freeze, you cannot be grabbed! That alone makes it one of our best chances to punish blizzard, since it's now and option where even if we **** up, their punishing options don't guarantee a stock loss. The reason ICs space blizzard is to use the minor stun on the fringe to try and run in and dash grab.

Lastly is Nana mechanics, and this is the MOST IMPORTANT one of all. The reason being, if we try to do this while Nana is falling our chances of getting grabbed go up a LOT. Why we want to go in when Popo falls is because Nana is incapable of pivot grabbing during blizzard. A pivot grab is the only way you will get grabbed in this tactic when executed correctly. Nana cannot pivot grab you because she is committed to only being able to run in the direction Popo is facing (you can try it out for yourself... if you know how to desync, go into training mode and try to have nana run the opposite direction of Popo during blizzard... even if you input the direction, she can only run the same way he is facing). If we go into Popo's blizzard, the only way we can get grabbed is if we mess up so bad that we end up in the middle of blizzard (outside the high freeze potential range) and get stuck (start mashing).

EDIT: Also, you don't have to worry about this being countered by another blizzard. You will hit Popo before Nana has a chance to hit you with a SH blizzard, and if she stays grounded she will change directions and you will still hit Popo. Unless they are able to beat fair with Nana, you will guarantee to hit one of them.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Nana SH Blizzard > Popo Walking Blizzard > Nana SH Blizzard > Popo Walking Blizzard > Repeat

I say this because most times IC's use the hopping version of the wall because it has some vertical zoning properties, but it's also the easiest way to prevent Nana from shooting backwards blizzard because of the move mechanics. Popo on the other hand can Blizzard whatever direction the player inputs, so there isn't a need to do anything rising/falling. I'd say that ideally I'd do both walking Blizzards, but it's possible to pivot grab Nana out of Popo's blizzard because of how far you have to walk her in order to get her to blizzard forward without hopping.

I'm sure your method is still possible if this is done, if not making it easier. It just might remove your clear cut indicator of when to execute the tactic.

That being said, I'm now going to start trying some Solo Nana Blizzard Walls, WaveBounce Blizzard Walls, Nana Usmashes and Popo mixups. Plus a few other tricks that I need to work on tech skill wise individually before I try them out against people.

:) :) :)

Dnyce

Smash Master
Cool story bro. I'm sure the IC boards miss their local troll, you shouldn't disappoint them by moving your business here.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Cheese you should team with a color blind kid and always pick red team and whenever someone picks green team be like ***** /colorblindrule and get that *** DQ'd

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Funny story: I teamed with a color blind kid at WGF. I had to call that rule every time, because EVERY sonic and Lucario player in the world seems to always want to be on the red or green team. People looked at me, "You ****". Until my friend actually pointed out that he IS actually colorblind. Then they felt like *******s.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Oh, before people get too deep into this... there's an important thing I forgot to mention... lol.

The chance of freezing with blizzard increases the higher your damage is. This may seem obvious to some, but I wanted to make sure I got that out before you go jumping into blizzard at 0% and then getting grabbed / frustrated at my advice, and then lose the set.. hahaha.

tl;dr only do this when you're >60%

Another thing I've started doing is "letting" ICs get uairs on me until I'm above 20-25% (something around there). The main reason for that being is say I do something that hits nana slightly away and grabbed by Popo... I don't want to give him the opportunity to sopo CG me until Nana comes back. I'm pretty sure sopo can CG us as much as falco can, but I'm always too scared to try and jump out until I know I can since I don't want to lose my jump and get dthrow-dtilt'd-ledgehogged :(

Top Bottom