• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Psychology and Smash

D

Deleted member

This might apply more to tech chase characters like Falcon, but I've found that certain types of people are more likely to do a certain tech roll based on their personality (or what I perceive)

Assuming neutral positions (not next to an edge):

Weird people aka Kooksters tech inwards a lot

Aggressive, tech-skill players tech in place a lot so they can get back up and fk u up

Wimpy ***** people tech away more often than not

Thinking players tend to not tech in place more so they can see what you do then react

This obviously applies less to better players since they adapt a lot, but playing noobs who NEVER adapt to mid level i personally find this to be 90% true. Against a random who I've never heard of I will absolutely do my first tech read based on if my opponent is a techskill happy guy, a wimpy dude, a weirdo, or a nerdy smart guy.

"normal" looking people are the wildcards but its very rare to find a normal guy in smash

I myself in my nooby days always teched in place to get back up and fk up people

What do you guys think?

Are there any other factors that we can get from someones image that we know what to cover first as we techchase (or something else?)

Mooo

Smash Apprentice
i'm a noob, but neither am i techskill happy nor weird, nerdy or wimpy. im just in the middle and i tech adapting to my oponent, so if i saw him reading my inward tech, i tech in place, if he adapts to that, i'll tech away and i just change styles according to the situation of the match (at high percentages, i rarely tech in place, don't know why i do it but i have the feeling of teching in place is bad if i am above 80 or 90%)

D

Deleted member

This isn't about people adapting but what people do at first and what they immediately resort to in high pressure situations

Van.

Smash Ace
I think it has to do less with personality and more with your opponents confidence at the time. You are more likely to tech away after falcon just comboed you 0-50, no matter what personality you have.

Mooo

Smash Apprentice
This isn't about people adapting but what people do at first and what they immediately resort to in high pressure situations
the personality should really only come out when players are nervous. the way you tech is determined by what kind of player your opponent is, because it is a defensive option and not an offensive one. if you get pressured really hard however, midlevel players will not think about teching according to your opponent and just do the stuff they usually do. for me, it's teching away, because that's how i started (due to practicing with the same person who always fell for it over and over).

D

Deleted member

Too hypothetical but some people want to take the hit and live by teching in or tech in place to get out of the spot quickly

for example, somebody who just got double knee'd close to the edge don't seem to tech away to the edge of the stage often. A normal or cowardly maybe even a smart dude would usually tech in while a n00b will mess their tech

but would a kookster tech towards the edge?

i'm bored : /

Bones0

Smash Legend
I've actually noticed people who are timid or not confident tech in place, almost as a way to avoid making a wrong decision by not making one at all. I doubt there is some substantial correlation though. It's probably just the idea that your brain wants to find patterns even if they aren't there. I would go through a bunch of videos and use science to confirm the hypothesis before basing tech-chase decisions on it.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
If something doesn't work once, people tend to not try it again afterwards.

E.G. if someone tries to get up attack and you punish them for it and force them to a teching position again, they are unlikely to do the get up attack again.

Likewise, people won't expect you to repeat something that got you punished last time.

I've personally observed that you can get away with repeating the same action 3 times at most before people start expecting it. At that point, you'd definetely want to switch what you do the 4th time.

Bones0

Smash Legend
If something doesn't work once, people tend to not try it again afterwards.

E.G. if someone tries to get up attack and you punish them for it and force them to a teching position again, they are unlikely to do the get up attack again.

Likewise, people won't expect you to repeat something that got you punished last time.

I've personally observed that you can get away with repeating the same action 3 times at most before people start expecting it. At that point, you'd definetely want to switch what you do the 4th time.
Idk who you are playing, but everyone I play that gets punished because they get-up-attack does it over and over and over... lol

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I don't know, I think plenty of people, like myself, make a very conscious decision on where they tech. It's not so much my personality, its which I think my opponent won't punish at any given time.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Idk who you are playing, but everyone I play that gets punished because they get-up-attack does it over and over and over... lol
Well yeah, if they're doing it over and over again it's a bad predictable habit.

But this is a scenario where you're playing someone new for a bit, and they haven't done get up attack before.

I admit get up attack was a bad choice though, I guess it's not really a move you predict, more one you react to.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Tech in place is faster, and harder to punish on reaction IMO. Of course, if you are getting predicted, you should mix it up, but teching in place is what I find to be ideal, particularly if you have a shine or similar move to punish your opponent's failed read.

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
i always tech in place and literally yell at my hands to " stop teching in place damnit!!" cause i am aggressive with the tech skillz. but s2j if i ever play you i'll be sure to act very wimpy and weird to avoid that tech chase stomp and by then you won't connect this post to me irl.

LowFatHat

Smash Cadet
Honestly, having never played against a given player, there's really no other way to read their first few techs other than the way they play, their looks, and their personality. This is a completely valid way of that.

However, even when I was terrible at smash, I still managed to mix up my techs, without any thought. I've never had to tell myself not to do the same thing over and over again. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who will easily punish you if you don't read them right, and I'm sure there are people you simply can't read right, even at lower levels.

I personally feel like manipulating people's techs is the real way to go.

D

Deleted member

this is a stupid thread actually sorry for making it

but i think it has some bearing of truth, might be useful if you go out of state and play a bo3 with somebody you never heard of. it could be useful to non top tier players

repeating myself, this is what people do FIRST or what they do in high pressure spots. Mediocre players do change it up usually AFTER they get hit. super noobs never change it up, kooksters keep doing the same option to throw you off

yeah dumb topic

Quic

Smash Journeyman
I definitely make use of roughly the same theory whenever I play a new opponent.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
psychology of melee...my college needs to fund a course for this.

Heisenberg

Smash Rookie
S2J,

This thread is not stupid at all. The observations are a bit simplistic, but one has to start somewhere when making a hypothesis. I do believe you are onto something, though. I consider myself a "Kookster" and I am a fan of rolling inward and then rolling inward to throw off my opponent. If anything, I like getting hit the first time because it guarantees me a free roll inward. I'm not a stupid player and it comes through in other aspects of the game during a match so my opponents rarely assume I'll do a stupid thing twice.

Pandu!

Smash Cadet
Whats with everyone recommending teching in place? teching in place fks you up so badly, especially if you're playing falcon or shiek.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I agree with a lot of S2J said about personality and how it effects teching. I feel Like I play less agressive, a little more reserved so I guess I tend to tech away/or wait and get up attack. With these personality and reactions defined that S2J made you can use it as sort of a guideline (Granted he is correct) I find it accurate.

But of course there is exceptions. My lil bro plays an insane agressive Falcon but he always techs away. It's so hard to catch him though even though I know he's gonna roll, ; it's weird.

Like S2J said, top level players will have less patterns and adapt their teching to what teching mistakes they made, and how their opponent caught them. And Mid to low level players will adapt slower, whitch in turn will get them punished a lot more whitch results in them losing.

Top Bottom