• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OSI Columbus, OH - Charity Melee Tournament! (4/23/11)

Ohio Smash Initiative

Smash Rookie

Notice: The Melee Tournament is Over. Click Here to see the Bracket standings courtesy of Alpha Zealot. The next OSI Charity Gaming Event is posted up as a TBA over at http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=302055. Thanks.

Keep an eye out for Hype videos for the next event as well as event footage. Visit our youtube channel or our media page at www.ohiosmashinitiative.com

Greetings SmashBoards! Awaiting you is a Tournament in the Midwest like never before!
We've been hard at work presenting you our first official OSI Melee Tournament!

Check out our Youtube

Check out our Facebook

April 23th 2011
11am - 8pm
We have officially confirmed the date for the Melee Tournament as well as the time slot. The somewhat untraditional time slot is due to OSU Union time slot reservation.

Ohio State Union at Ohio State University
1st Floor of the Building, Great Hall Meeting Room 1 & 2. Food and Drink is available throughout the building on several floors.

1739 N. High Street
Columbus, OH 43210
Phone: 614.688.4636

Venue Fee: 5$
Singles Entrance Fee: 5$.
Mandatory Charity Donation: $5

Click Here for Parking Information

Round Robin + Double Elimination Melee Tournament.

Top 4 players split the pot 50/25/15/10

We expect to have over 50 entrants in our upcoming melee tournament, and to speed things up we'll have a round robin. Players form 8 pools with a game referee at each station. We expect to have three TVs at each station along with game systems to keep things flowing near seamlessly. The Top few players at each station will advance and face off in a double elimination bracket.

We should also have plenty of casual play in Brawl/Melee/64. Players here range from noobs to semi-pros.

Smash Boards Attendance List:

EricHimself - Confirmed
Big_R - Confirmed
AlphaZealot - Confirmed
mars16 - Confirmed
The Great Jona - Confirmed
Morris (+ Friend) - Confrimed
C_Ferris32 - Confirmed
DrillbitSammy - Confrimed
Paradigm (+2 More) - Confirmed
DippnDots - Confirmed
oliman - Confirmed
DuckMan - Confirmed
The Great Jona (+2 More) - Confirmed
JamesBJames (+1 More) - Confirmed
Master WGS - Needs Confirmed
PsychoPenguin - Needs Confirmed
FlyingFrenchman - Needs Confirmed
TheKiest - Needs Confirmed
Baro - Needs Confirmed
Impp - Needs Confirmed
Vanz - Needs Confirmed
Dark 3nergy - Needs Confirmed
Falco400 - Needs Confirmed
dlaw - Needs Confirmed
God_Voice - Needs Confirmed
Megachuk - Needs Confirmed
Juushichi - May Show

You can also check out our Facebook Event for more attending guests.

Setups may get your entrance fee waived. This depends on whether or not we use your setup for tournament/casual play. Waived Fees are on a first come first serve basis.

Melee Tournament Rules
Stock is set to 4.
Time is set to 8 minutes.
Items are set to off.
Sets are best of 3 matches.

Character and Stage Selection is done by Double Blind Method. Stage Selection is determined by Elimination Method.

Starting Stage List -

• Battlefield - Special Stages
• Dreamland - Past Stages
• Final Destination - Special Stages
• Yoshi's Story - Yoshi's Island

Players may agree to play on any specific stage they wish as long as both players agree. Players may also opt for random in which the game will randomly choose between the Starting Stage List (BF, DL, FD, YS).

The Winner of the first match will choose his character followed by the loser choosing his character. Stage is determined by the previous match loser on the counter pick stage list as long as he has not had a match win on that stage.

Counter Pick Stage List -

• Battlefield - Special Stages
• Dreamland - Past Stages
• Fountain of Dreams - Dreamland
• Final Destination - Special Stages
• Pokemon Stadium - Kanto
• Yoshi's Story - Yoshi's Island

The Tournament Host/Referee is the arbiter of all disputes.

Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.

Pausing is strictly forbidden unless a Tournament Official allows it. EX: Technical Issues, Acts of Nature, etc.

Streaming & Recorded Matches
"By entering the tournament you agree to have any tournament matches be recorded if possible, and be uploaded without the need for consent by the players in the match. The only time a match can be requested not to be uploaded is with extraordinary occurrences such as a power outage during the match. Failure to abide by this rule can result in a DQ for a tournament match. Reasoning: I believe that if players attend tournaments and play with the potential ability to win money at the expense of the community, the community is allowed to watch matches that are part of these tournaments that had money on the line."

Good Sportsmanship

"Tactics that go against fair play will result in a warning or forfeiture on part of the player using them. These types of actions include, but are not limited to: excessive stalling, unnecessary/excessive pausing, disabling the opponent's controller, and using glitches/hacks/etc that freeze characters or otherwise make the round unplayable. All players are expected to participate with an attitude of Good Sportsmanship. It is common sportsmanship, upon ending a tournament set, to shake the other player's hand regardless of winning or losing. All attendees, and their possessions, are to be respected, as are the tournament hosts/organizers and the venue."

Players are expected to understand and adhere to the rules listed. Players are responsible for any and all controller malfunctions. No refunds for Tournament Fees or Entrance Fees.

About Us
Our organization was formed with the higher motive of being able to serve as a charity. We felt that this would be an appropriate cause to pursue. We hold events where college-age kids get together to socialize, play games and ultimately give back to those less fortunate.

TVs and Game Systems
CRT Televisions as well as game systems and spare controllers will be provided. You are recommended to bring a controller that suits your play, however we'll have plenty for those that forget/cannot bring one. All spare controllers are 1st party quality.

We plan to have more than 20 CRT TVs at the event for your convenience. Bringing your own TV and Game System Setup are not necessary but are allowed for casual play. All Tournament Activity will take place on OSI's Hardware (Apart from optional controller swapping)

We'll be doing our best to Record & Stream LIVE most or all of the Double Elimination bracket for the Melee Tournament. Please be aware that this may take some time to perfect and we'll be posting these recordings online.

Get Filled In
We'd be glad to fill you in on any information you have. Send one of us an Email or catch us on Skype!

Ohio Smash Initiative
Email: oh.smash.initiative@gmail.com

*Update: We have officially confirmed a date for the event as April 23rd 2011. Parking Information & Rules Updated. Entrance Fee is 5$ and Tournament Admission Fee is 10$. We added 2 extra hours to the time thanks to the Union! Thank you all for your patience as we've been working up our entire club event at OSU as well as setting up our first OSI Event. Attendance List & Facebook Event Added.

We hope to see you there!​

EricHimself

Smash Rookie
Count me in!

That sounds awesome OSI; I'm a competitive SSBM player and this upcoming tournament sounds like just what I need.
I'm a student at Ohio State University so I'll definitely bring my buddies who're even more hardcore players than me. I'm pumped that it'll be in the Union, that's a pretty huge venue.

Keep me updated on the exact date.

Game on!

PsychoPenguinX

Smash Apprentice
No offense, but who are you? I know I haven't been the most active lately, but a joint account without an identity /random group should drop by the Columbus thread and talk to the rest of us since we could help out and whatnot.

I like the idea, I'm just curious since I haven't run across you guys yet and am on campus almost every day.

FlyingFrenchman

Smash Apprentice
Hi OSI.

I like what you're doing a lot.

Any chance we can get a bit more info on when your smashfests take place? I'd like to stop by a couple.

Also, it wouldn't be a horrible idea to change the thread title (there are already two other threads with very similar names).

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Ray, as quite possibly said before. Smashfests won't bring any notable donations for charity. Consider tournaments, that's really the only way it's going to be taken seriously.

Really though, it's not a bad idea, you just need to take a more realistic approach. Do you even have a venue yet? The apartment we were in last time can't hold mold than 16 people.

I'm not trying to shut you down man, this is a good idea for getting things rolling in Columbus. Fests just aren't going to accomplish any of your goals.

Ohio Smash Initiative

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the advice you guys, I'll certainly do what I can to integrate your ideas, and I appreciate everything you have to say.

I'm new to Smash Boards but I'm a representative of Ohio Smash Initiative to answer who I am. I'll certainly drop by the Columbus thread right now to touch base.

I'll post more precise information on when our smashfests will be as soon as I can. We're working on a lot of paperwork right now to make this an official club, get funding, training for our president, treasurer, and faculty advisor etc. so we haven't decided on our next date quite yet.

Thanks for the information that Smashfests won't bring any notable donations. We plan to post videos from our intense matches at Smashfests on our website (which is in the works) and allow people to donate on there. However, there WILL be tournaments. Not only will the next event be a double Melee tournament with pools, but all of our events should include a tournament of some sort. We will try to take your advice by emphasizing this more, as the tournaments will be our main event, and WILL have a considerable pot with how many expected participants we already have.

I understand you're not trying to shut me down, I honestly appreciate the feedback; keep it coming! We will use the OSU Union as the venue, and I can assure you this will happen. We'll do all we can to get things rolling in Columbus.

TheKiest

Smash Champion
Honestly I would change the title to your Tag name. That seems more appropriate. Then you can make a new account with YOUR "personal tag" so it's easier for people to put a name to a face.

Also, a link to said Facebook page would work too. 90% of the members on these forums use Facebook.

I'll be starting my own stuff soon as well, plus I have also wanted to throw tournaments for fund raising as well (I have thrown roughly 10 tournaments in my smash career). Maybe once we get to know each other, we can do a joint effort. (Most of the C-bus players are either at OSU, or WILL be going to OSU)

Have your boys sign up for this too:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=293476
The biggest problem with School/Store organized events, is that they don't research the scene. Going to tournaments thrown by said scene is the best way to learn. Ohio is another exception because we LOVE to help out new players and new TOs get started. You just have to be willing to learn and ask.

Also, don't listen to these "scrubs" about smashfests not bringing in money (while I do agree that tournes can bring even more....). Our "smashfests" might be different from your "smashfests". There are ways to make it work. I've got a dozen ideas I'd like to share with you.

Feel free to PM me, friend me on facebook (Kyle D Keister), or email me at TheKiest@yahoo.com

PsychoPenguinX

Smash Apprentice
I was about to come in and post a lot of what Kiester just said, especially the first paragraph.

A lot of us are mainly into brawl now, but make sure to make a post in the Columbus melee topic as well since they are split into two smashfest topics.

I had talked about setting up a group like you have a while back, but was never convinced that it would work with the effort and manpower that was available at the time and lost a lot of the drive for it when I moved off campus and lost access to the Mack Hall music and programming rooms.

Regardless, go to the tourney that Kiest is holding and get a feel for things within the existing smash scene.

Ohio Smash Initiative

Smash Rookie
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=100001968987289 is the link to OSI's facebook page for anyone interested in getting in on the action.

We would be interested in a joint effort for a tournament TheKiest. I'll do everything I can to make it to your upcoming event and will message you about details.

We will certainly include smashfests in our events, and Brawl and Melee are both a huge interest to us. It has been decided that in addition to the upcoming Melee tournament there will be a Brawl smashfest at the same time and place for Brawlers.

Thanks a ton for the input, we'll continue to do everything we can to make this successful.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Your tournament rules need a lot of work, but there's plenty of time for that, we can talk about it at the next fest.

Big_R

Smash Champion
Heyyy some smash in Ohio. Looks like the bomb. Cept 4pm start time? 4pm-12pm? ALL NIGHT LONG TILL THE NEXT AFTERNOON? haha

I'm down to rock some kids though.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
What Kiest and Psycho said. There's a brawl scene here, but I never really got in touch with the melee scene here. Nevertheless, the melee people would appreciate this a lot more.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'd come to this if it is in the Union. However, March 26th is Spring Break so I probably won't be in town. Weekend after that is MLG Dallas for me to.

Baro

Smash Journeyman
I might go to this and bring my wii with dumb games nobody plays

EricHimself

Smash Rookie
Haha that sounds sweet, I can't wait!

There'll definitely be a lot of players from campus going to play some Brawl and have a good time. I know i'm bringing all my friends, prepare yourselves for some serious competition gentlemen ;)

oliman

Smash Journeyman
Probably coming, along with a few other smashers in my area (cleveland)

Ohio Smash Initiative

Smash Rookie
We are looking at the third weekend after OSU resumes (April 16th) to host this event now. This is due to Ohio State still being on spring break on the 26th and also due to the need to smooth out specific room acquirement and equipment transportation to and from the event.

Ohio Smash Initiative

Smash Rookie
Sorry for the delays and whatnot. Believe me, we are working very hard to make this happen. We will personally send out pm's to everyone that replied to this thread in advance as soon as we book the room in the Union. Bear with us while we sort out registration problems.

On a side note. We have already acquired 12 usable 20+ inch crt tvs and hope acquire around 5-10 more prior to this event. The wii and gamecubes as well as the game discs are taken care of so the only thing left is for OSU to approve our bid for one of the rooms in the union.

The room we are looking is the SPHINX Centennial Leadership Suite. It is about 2/3 down the page on the following link

The room has two plugs every other seat which would theoretically allow for 16 setups. Also, the Union provides seats and tables and allows us to rearrange them in order to fit our needs.

Thanks for your patience and we hope to see you at our event!

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Also, you might want to get a confirmed date at least 2 weeks in advance so we can pull out of state players :p

Ohio Smash Initiative

Smash Rookie
right. confirmation on the date hinges on OSU granting us usage of a room in the Union. The rooms are looking to be between $100-200 and we will be catering the event. Most likely, there will be a $5 entrance fee to cover the rental of them room plus snacks like pizza, pop, and chips. The tournament entrance fee will be around $10. Half of this money will go into the pot to distribute to the top finishers in the tournament. The remaining half will be used to cover the expenses if the entrance fee was not enough (we do not see this being an issue assuming we can pull in 50+ people). All of the money that is left after distributing for the pot and the costs of the event will be donated to the charity listed on the first page.

So in summary- $5 will get you in to play friendlies and eat the food. $10 will be the cost to enter in the tournament.

We will be in contact with OSU on the first couple days of the quarter so expect a finalized date by the end of the week.

Top Bottom