• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

pit and dk in dubz

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
hi boards, im conducting research with other character boards who i believe would be a great dubz character for pit. please post ur thoughts and opinions as this will help me pick a dubz partner boost both chars dubz potential. here is what i see from this team.

pros:
with pit shooting arrows and stock tanking, donkey OWNS THE STAGE HARD.

pit's whole move set almost set up for dk's ridicoulously powerful smashes which means early kills all day baby all day

their grab game combined is bs. seriously it is so good. from combos to kills

pit can own the air with a bair supporting DK and dk can own the ground with an arrow supporting pit.

please dicuss ur thoughts and opinions here!

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Can you elaborate more on the smash set ups? Not that this doesn't sound like a good idea. I just wanna know exactly what kind of dubs team I'm looking at.

:dk2:

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
i thought about this team a while back, and one thing i know is that is DK has to up-b brake, pit can just arrow him and he no longer falls lagless. Easiest way to babysit DK imo

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
That's what I've been saying forever.

I got Will to want to team with Nicole at WHOBO.

:dk2: :peach:
And I'm looking forward to it sooo much. =)

Btw Kirinblaze and I have tried Pit + DK and wowowow its incredible. Arrows saving DK after up-b brake is really a godsend. His back throw combos into DK's up smash if you're right next to him. Also, it's really easy to read the trajectory of Pit's f-smash and follow up with b-air/u-air.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
thank u for those who are discussing this. i don't care about how good the peach team is lol. im conducting a Pit/Dk team so please stick to that.

good kill set ups that i know of are:
pit dthrow>dk hyphen smash
pit 3 hit jab>dk fsmash
pit fthrow>various dk move based on percent (low percent would be like fsmash, mid percent would be usmash and dsmash>high percent would be uair and dair and fair)
pit's bthrow>dk fsmash
pit's AR>dk fsmash
pit's ff sour bair can combo into pit's own moves so of course this set's up for dk's smashes.
pit's arrow combos into ur dsmash and ur forward b which sets u up for fsmash
dk's uthrow and dthrow>pit's bair (which is a ridiculous kill move when used properly)
pit can wing dash dk forward while dk charges a smash

also while i have not tested it yet but in theory dk and pit can pull off an infinte using dk's dthrow>the opponent get hit by arrow>dk regrab

keep discussing i like how u guys already brought up recovery benefits :)

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
In doubles, I've always thought DK should hangout around the ledge and let one of the opponents approach him, or just be really opportunistic and let his teammate do the majority of the work until someones in a bad position. Is Pit good at 2 v 1? I think that's what's most important for DK's teammate.

The arrow after up-b break is great if the Pit has the time to do it.

Mystic, most of DK's doubles combos should be coming off of our Cargo throws. This is one thing Pit is actually great for. Out of a Cargo D-throw, Pit's f-smash is super easy for the teammate to react with and does great damage, possibly even setting up DK to juggle.

DK's f-smash isn't the best thing for us to be comboing with no matter what it's out of :s. It's just too slow, we'd have to plan on doing that combo before pit even connected with his move. D-smash, or something as simple as d-tilt or u-air would be much better in most situations.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
thank you for letting me know that about fsmash being too slow. also to answer ur question pit can do 2v1 very effectively with dk "camping" the edge side of the stage as pit is fast and has priority out the ***. so yes this is a completely viable tactic.

wat other tactics and pros can yall think of? this research is going great and this board is by far the best participent :) so again thank you

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
thank you for letting me know that about fsmash being too slow. also to answer ur question pit can do 2v1 very effectively with dk "camping" the edge side of the stage as pit is fast and has priority out the ***. so yes this is a completely viable tactic.

wat other tactics and pros can yall think of? this research is going great and this board is by far the best participent :) so again thank you
I'm pretty sure that Pit's SideB can lead into almost ANYTHING DK has in his arsenal.

Almost all kill moves + everything else.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Oh also don't forget rapid jabs. Pit's got a pretty good jab + flurry, and DK can capitalize on it.

And yeah, I think the easiest and most effective combo for this team would be stuff like, DK f-tilt, d-tilt, b-air, cargo d-throw --> Pit F-smash --> DK u-air or maybe u-smash. I think this could work at about any percent below 90%, would do sick damage, kill if the DK connects with u-smash at like 70, and would also just look sexy. It should be easy to pull off too.

This team could probably be pretty successful, just make sure that Pit and DK stay well away from each other. We don't like long multihitting sword things, and you guys don't like giant monkey fists of giant monkey death.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
if its spaced correctly, pit could forward b, and DK could down b, if they are blocking broken shield, if not in the air, where can Pit can handle them. Also pit forward b -> DK forward b too gross

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
hell if you think about if we are against a ground orientated without a projectile team (although i can't think of a team like that atm) dk could just spam down b and pit could keep aerial arrow camping arrows over dk. provides a very solid anti approach game. especially at smashville if pit played king of the platform and dk played king of the stage.

@sold
i agree that combo you mentioned would be outright sexy

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Dude, the moving platform is DK's house. No joke, haha. If you ever watch DK videos, almost all of us have a habit of just jumping on the platform to chill out. We're so good there, can you have the stage instead? :chuckle: I've been meaning to do a write-up on how DKs do this, it's actually a pretty interesting habit.

Kind of exhausted talk about how the team works. How about possible CPs? First thing that comes to mind for me for this team is Delfino. The stage is relatively small, so it encourages 2 v 1s. DK is really good for 2 v 1s, if he's on the 2 side. Both characters work very well around walk off edges and walls. We're both pretty good at sharking, DK's up-b is so good from under the stage. Of course wouldn't go here vs like double MK.

Second pick would have to be Picto I think. Gives us a lot of room to make sure we're not beachballed around. And really DK is just so good here in general, and not many other characters are. Not sure how Pit is here, but if he's at least average here then it's a good stage to fall back on.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
pit can shark so well on delphino it's almost broken (but overall not as broken as halberd). and ya since both pit and dk can rule this stage and since pit can be on the 2v1 part i agree that delphino would be a great stage for this team.

pit is good at picto. watch esca's vids with him and illmatic and you will see him camp hardcore. but also since the stage is so large it gives this team the room to breath that it needs on flat stages.

another good stage for this team would have to be halberd. i mean i don't know how good DK is here but i know that his uair and all his other upward kill moves kill at stupidly low percents off the top. also this is one of pit's best stages. his sharking game here is only countered by metaknight. mk aside pit owns this stage and the large part allows him to camp mega hardcore.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
pit can shark so well on delphino it's almost broken (but overall not as broken as halberd). and ya since both pit and dk can rule this stage and since pit can be on the 2v1 part i agree that delphino would be a great stage for this team.

pit is good at picto. watch esca's vids with him and illmatic and you will see him camp hardcore. but also since the stage is so large it gives this team the room to breath that it needs on flat stages.

another good stage for this team would have to be halberd. i mean i don't know how good DK is here but i know that his uair and all his other upward kill moves kill at stupidly low percents off the top. also this is one of pit's best stages. his sharking game here is only countered by metaknight. mk aside pit owns this stage and the large part allows him to camp mega hardcore.
If I may...

In reality, I don't think this team combination would work well on Halberd. Donkey Kong has a disadvantage because of the edges and the platform (while airborne). In addition, although it may be good for Pit, it benefits other common doubles characters quite a bit too (Meta Knight, Snake, Wario, Game & Watch, etc). You have to be prepared for the worst, because people will have no mercy being competitive douchebags about this game.

That's another thing. It seems like combo ideas are being spewed out so quickly, but how many of these are actually going to work? Donkey Kong can get juggled and hit pretty easily, especially in teams with the lack of space. You guys have to be prepared to face characters that can **** you up...so I would be worrying more about general team strategies than combos, because I doubt that all of these opportunities will be available to you. Of course, a 2 vs 1 in your favor is a completely different story, but it is going to take some damn good players to make that happen with those characters.

On top of all that, you have to learn your teammate's style, each of your characters' pros/cons in doubles, and what stages to watch out for.

It will take a lot of practice and patience, but I think this combination has potential.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
thanks for lettin me know bout dk and halberd (that's too bad that it doesn't benefit him). and yes i agree that we should talk team metagame aside from just combos. to start it off you guys should list in detail what you as donkey kong should do in a doubles match and from there i can list how pit can cover your weaknesses and boost your strengths.

the only thing i don't think really needs more discussing is pit helping dk recover. but anyways then as DK what is your main strategy in dubz? from wat i see you guys, in essence, want to play the role of the opportunistic camper who waits until the team mate can create openings for you to punish with your power house aresenal. input?

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Well, DK in doubles can play the role of stock tank, and kill power. What a lot of people don't notice is DK's ground pound is more than awesome in doubles. Especially paired with a character like Pit.

A lot of people would call this a combo, but I'd have to differ. I'd prefer to call it a set up.

With Ground pound+ Pit's aerial pressure( arrows) will both, keep Pit safe and keep constant distance and pressure on the opponents that try to approach from the air. When this is done, DK and Pit have clear control of the stage which I feel is most important in doubles.

:peach:

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
i got to say (and im not saying u guys said this cause you didn't) i hate how people say pit has bad aerials. pit has some of the best aerials in the game. his uair beats anything above and is easy to space with. his fair is long, disjointed as hell, and is decently strong. do i even need to talk about our powerhouse bair? and our dair not only juggles, it kills. our nair is like the best shield poker move in the game. not to mention our glair has transcendent priority and is like our 3rd strongest kill move iirc.

thus not with just arrows can pit own the air while donkey owns the stage. pit can litterally own the air from all sides. so yes this is definately a tactic as opposed to a combo. and like you said a very solid tactic at that. since nothing out ranges ground pound on the ground and since pit can back up his air game with more than just arrows, i can see this being bs good.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
i got to say (and im not saying u guys said this cause you didn't) i hate how people say pit has bad aerials. pit has some of the best aerials in the game. his uair beats anything above and is easy to space with. his fair is long, disjointed as hell, and is decently strong. do i even need to talk about our powerhouse bair? and our dair not only juggles, it kills. our nair is like the best shield poker move in the game. not to mention our glair has transcendent priority and is like our 3rd strongest kill move iirc.

thus not with just arrows can pit own the air while donkey owns the stage. pit can litterally own the air from all sides. so yes this is definately a tactic as opposed to a combo. and like you said a very solid tactic at that. since nothing out ranges ground pound on the ground and since pit can back up his air game with more than just arrows, i can see this being bs good.
I did only suggest arrows as aerial pressure, because he's safely out of range. Yes, I agree his aerials are damn good, but getting to close can completely defeat the purpose of the whole tactic. If he keeps himself well distanced, with his quick and accurate arrow pressure, then it makes this tactic work to it's fullest.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
oh no i agree. as a pit i believe the opponent should have to work through my arrows before they have to deal with my aerials. what im saying is if we are against some1 with good air capabilities like lucario or marth or wario, is that if they manage to get through this hellish fortress tactic that they then have to deal with pit's aerial arsenal and manage not to land.

if there is one thing i believe in it is making my opponent work damn hard to get close enough to touch me. (although it may be because im a pit/marth main.... ) :)

so now that this teams general metagame seems covered well enough, i think it is time to discuss the con's of this team. ill start off by saying that teams involving wario may pose a problem as he is hard for both of our character's.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
oh no i agree. as a pit i believe the opponent should have to work through my arrows before they have to deal with my aerials. what im saying is if we are against some1 with good air capabilities like lucario or marth or wario, is that if they manage to get through this hellish fortress tactic that they then have to deal with pit's aerial arsenal and manage not to land.

if there is one thing i believe in it is making my opponent work damn hard to get close enough to touch me. (although it may be because im a pit/marth main.... ) :)

so now that this teams general metagame seems covered well enough, i think it is time to discuss the con's of this team. ill start off by saying that teams involving wario may pose a problem as he is hard for both of our character's.
Yes, but also keep in mind how Zelda has almost no good MUs but she can potentially be an extremely effective doubles partner.

Sometimes double Metaknight can totally lose to double low tier.

Now, I know a pretty beastly Wario, that can hold his own in doubles. If it's against Wario, I'm sure that it becomes a matter of taking turns attacking him. His ridiculous air dodge keeps him alive forever. I know it's a bit more complicated than that, but that's the general aspect of it.

Also, DK's ground pound can destroy Wario's landings out of air dodge as well as any ground approaches.

Sorry that air dodge is the only thing I'm really talking about. I don't play Wario a lot but I know for a fact that his air dodge is extremely essential in his own meta game, including doubles.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Well, I'm sure that there is some sort of flaw in the team.. I just can't think of any as of now.

Top Bottom