• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

marth and pit in dubz

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
hi boards, im conducting research with other character boards who i believe would be a great dubz character for pit. please post your thoughts and opinions as this will help me find a perfect dubz partner to boost both chars dubz potential as a whole. here is what i see from this team.

pros:
pit is a great stock tank while marth has high offensive capabilty in a 2v1 situation.

do to pits arrows off the edge while he stock tanks (especially if the pit has great aim and arrow control), marth with his range and speed can take advantage of pit's arrow stun and create even deadlier frame traps while effectively 2v1 ing.

together their kill and damge set ups are amazing between throws and even something simple like pit's dtilt to marth's spike, marth's throws into pit's bair, wing dashing marth towards the opponent while he charges a smash or shield breaker. or even something like pit's arrow>dolphin slash off stage>pit shooting marth to give him his recovery back.

please discuss here and don't close this thread as im conducting this search on multiple boards so it is easiest to have all the info in 1 spot. thank u marth boards

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
actually im from northern california. i just moved out here 3 weeks ago. and damn is my lazy grammar that unacceptable? ill edit it i guess then... but still i would appreciate actuall discussion like pierce started doing if i could get that.

and btw what are you talking about when you say you're ashamed? i don't even know who you are. actually forget it just talk dubz tactics and such please. thank you marth boards for what i hope will be active discussion here

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
wat that i think pika/pit could be a good team ro that those boards are dead? like i said it's research. anyways any marth's got some stuff to say actually pertaining to this?

(oh and mr.R im a huge fan. you and mikehaze are why i took up marth before i took up pit)

Mr-R

Smash Champion
thanks haha ^^
I just find it funny u went around making basically the same thread in the other boards.
wouldn't it just be better to just make 1 general thread of every character in the tactical discussion or something ?
I can imagine it being bothersome to pay attention to all those different threads.
oh and I've never really teamed with a pit so I don't really know much regarding that.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
As a Pit main, you should remain ON the stage.

You should try not to stay too close to Marth, as both of you have moves with lots collateral damage.

Pit should tank, and avoid tanking damage.

Marth should use Pit's arrow cover to approach safely, but should play more of a "Protect Pit/hit and run" roll.

Marth should be prepared to use counter excessively.

Pit should know how to use Angel's Ring and Arrow for support.

Marth should be well versed in powershielding all opponent projectiles.

Pit needs to be able to accurately shoot arrows underneath or over Marth, meaning they must have good sync.

Marth should be able to spot dodge a full charged arrow, so he can combo off of it. He should know the timing of a full charge (without toggle delay)

Pit should use a lot of Forward Smash when people get close, if Marth is in range. It hits frame 6, and does like, 16 or 18 damage. Also, if it's blocked, Marth can pressure the opponent with Dancing Blade or S hield Breaker

A Marth player in doubles should be aware that it's okay to Shield breaker through your opponent and deal them 8% if it results in breaking your foe's shield.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
wow thanks pierce! that's one hell of a good post on this!

personally i prefer staying on stage anyways but the only pit dubz team i've really watched is esca and illmatic. esca plays a very planky pit. thanks for emphasizing on that.

pit is very good at playing keep away so stock tanking on stage is still not a problem

i never thought of a double camp tactic or as you said a protect tactic. duly noted and i acknowledge it superior to my original offense based idea.

it's funny that you mention using excessive amounts of counter because before i went to bed i was thinking about whether or not purposely countering arrows would be a good tactic or not.

on the arrow and AR cover, any pit that actually matters should have practically flawless aim when weaving arrows around anyways and should understand the mechanics of AR. thus this should never really be an issue.

i agree that marth should be well versed in power shielding. fortunately as far i can see any marth that has had to play a lot of the falco, pikachu, or pit is well versed already so it should be easier to pick up power shielding multiple foes projectiles (and since marth is my co-main i understand perfectly where your coming from)

as for the fully charged arrow combo-ing i never even really considered that viable until just now. good call on that (fun fact no matter what charge an arrow is if you are fast enough it combos into a footstool. the more the charge the more foostool leeway.)

i agree that in dubz it is good for pit to use a lot of fsmash (it does 19% just for referance) when marth is close. when you point out the pressure game it leads to that is a completely solid tactic.

did you mean to say marth should shield breaker through pit to hit an opponent to break their shield? the txt there is a little confusing.

well thanks for all that pierce. that is one solid *** summary you gave. i mean if anyone else would like to contribute to this then by all means do but pierce i believe you covered the majority of this teams meta-game. thanks again

Esca

Smash Champion
It's crucial for Pit to stay offstage in doubles. I've placed top 3 in doubles at half the events I've entered, and I've never ever won on stage. Pit can function way too well offstage to not abuse the ledge.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Hmm, Esca, do you not feel as though competant Metaknights will easily tear up your opponent in a 2 vs 1 situation? Also, what if your opponent's also decide to camp. The Marth player would have to be AT LEAST my caliber if facing competition opponents to control the stage with Pit supporting only from the ledge. Do you not feel that an on stage Pit camping NEAR the ledge and retreating to it only when threatened would not function better?

I beg your opinions on the matter.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
The Marth player would have to be AT LEAST my caliber...
Well, so much for this team. We're all screwed here :(

Also, not sure how this team would function, but be prepared to get called names for playing the two most feminine characters. I could see some funny team names coming out of this. Might throw them off.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Well, so much for this team. We're all screwed here :(
That was only under the circumstance that the opponents were themselves skilled, AND the Pit was more concerned in self preservation, than in adding to the fight.

Even with Pit having a positive damage output vs damage taken ratio by playing support from the fortress of the ledge, I can't see that neutralizing the tremendous amount of damage that a solo Marth would take in a 2-1, ESPECIALLY if one of those opponents was MK.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
like i said pierce i agree with your overall observation. it's fine for pit to be a ledge fortress sometimes but like you said it is best for pit to stay on stage NEAR his fortress so that he can retreat. 1 soldier can't win a whole war by himself. he needs reinforcements. (although i got to say it works for esca and illmatic. however that is pit/peach and that is an entirely differant team strategy all together

so yes i agree it would be best suited to both players to have active mobility where they function best together as opposed to them trying to just go with general solo metagame. as for this team being called names... who gives a **** lol? i mean as soon as the omnigay was found team meta/snake was deemed homo. but it still owns right? are any marth's going to whobo that would be down to do this with me as their dubz partner? my partner ditched me to go do something else instead of go to whobo

Esca

Smash Champion
Hmm, Esca, do you not feel as though competant Metaknights will easily tear up your opponent in a 2 vs 1 situation?
Honestly, yes competant MK's will destroy Marth 2 v 1. But you have to remember that Pit's 2 best moves in doubles are arrows and fsmash. I think arrows can pressure SOO hard that the 2 draw away from the Marth. Marth can upb tornado and a GOOD Pit can arrow tornados. Pit also has a mirror shield for overly aggressive Mk's and for gimps. The MS gimp is unlikely but it's useable 1 time a set, as is every random exploit. Pit also has a 2 frame utilt that acts as a spotdodge to MK's dsmash/dtilt. I think if the Pit has the right mindset the arrows can completely turn the game around. They frustrate the opponent and then your partner can capitolize on that. They're gonna be shielding alot more than normal so Marth can abuse neutral b. If the Marth buffers upb or downb (situational depending on the opponents positioning) during his neutral B and an arrow hits him an up b or counter will come out immediately.

Also, what if your opponent's also decide to camp. The Marth player would have to be AT LEAST my caliber if facing competition opponents to control the stage with Pit supporting only from the ledge.
I need to rephrase what I originally said. I feel like Pit can be on the ledge 75% of the time. The other 25% is necessary to be on the stage, but I never feel like the Pit should be in the middle of the stage. He's not a strong enough character to stay in the middle. Of course every set has an exception, and a good player can realize when to get off the ledge. I think if it's double MK the Pit needs to worry alot about getting gimped, but it's still avoidable and I think he's got a strong enough moveset to handle himself on the ledge. Sometimes it's a better tradeoff to take 10% for a tipper on their part.

Do you not feel that an on stage Pit camping NEAR the ledge and retreating to it only when threatened would not function better?
I can agree with this. I think that Pit still needs to stay near the ledge. Believe it or not, gliding towards the opponent(s) can force alot of bad reactions so I try to do it alot with that team.

As you may know, I used to team with takeurlife2 alot back in 09/10. While not the best Marth, he was still competant and we had excellent teamwork. If the teams run correctly, Pit/Marth can be pretty devastating, it just takes two really smart players to do it effectively.

Top Bottom