• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR's Match-up Chart for Wario

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Discussion Thread for Wario BBR MU Chart

:wario:
-2: :marth: :peach:
-1: :metaknight: :dedede:
0: :snake: :falco: :popo: :olimar: :gw:
1: :diddy: :pikachu2: :lucario: :zerosuitsamus: :toonlink: :kirby2: :fox: :rob: :luigi2: :sheilda: :sonic: :ike: :sheik: :ness2: :yoshi2: :falcon:
2: :pit: :dk2: :pt: :lucas: :mario2: :samus2: :jigglypuff: :link2: :zelda: :ganondorf:
3: :wolf: :bowser2:

If any Wario mains that were on the panel want to discuss this, or any people from other character boards/panels want to comment on something to do with Wario's MU spread from the BBR, let's do it here. :)

What do the numbers mean?

[collapse=Ratings Definition]-4: (close to) unwinnable
-3: large disadvantage/hard countered
-2: medium disadvantage
-1: small disadvantage
0: even
+1: small advantage
+2: medium advantage
+3: large advantage/hard counter
+4: (close to) unloseable
[/collapse]

[collapse=Ratings Translation - Paraphrased, NOT NECESSARILY EXACT, just my own interpretation.]
-4 -> ~Anything worse
-3 -> ~35-65/30-70
-2 -> ~40-60
-1 -> ~45-55
0 -> ~50-50
+1 -> ~55-45
+2 - ~60-40
+3 -> ~70-30/65-35
+4 -> ~ Anything better
[/collapse]

Further Discussion: (coming soon when you guys make up some arguments/matchups that deserve attention, etc...)

Lord Chair

Smash Master
:wario:
-2: :marth: :metaknight: :dedede:
-1: :peach::falco:
0: :popo: :olimar::luigi2: :yoshi2::sheik:
1: :diddy: :pikachu2: :lucario: :zerosuitsamus: :toonlink: :kirby2: :fox: :rob: :sonic: :ike: :ness2: :falcon::snake: :gw:
2: :pit::wolf: :pt: :lucas: :mario2: :samus2: :jigglypuff: :link2: :zelda:
3: :bowser2::dk2::ganondorf:

Yeah, really.

Sheilda doesn't exist, get that **** outta here. I have no idea why people think Wolf is easier than Ganon lol, or why Peach is supposed to be worse than both MK and D3. All gayness considered, DK is a free MU you cannot lose. You cannot lose the MU if you chaingrab, it's impossible. Same thing counts for Ganondorf.

Then why, oh why, doesn't this count for Wolf? Well, it's actually possible for Wolf not to get grabbed, easy as that. I'd go as far as say Bowser can prevent being grabbed either, but I really don't know the MU and I presume Wario has silly fair > grab setups on him as well.

I ask again, who was involved in this list? Admittedly, Wario's MUs tend to be controversial, but I'd go as far as say DK, Ganon and Bowser are objectively impossible to lose at top level play.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
I agree with Chair's amended list... with some few corrections:

Diddy should be 50:50
Peach is just as bad as Marth, but not as bad as MK or D3
we go even with Yoshi? no advantage?

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
No matchup is ever "free" LC.

I generally agree with this list, apart from the peach/D3 switch that should happen. It's so awesome to see so little disadvantages, and so many advantages! :D beautiful! *sniff*

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I'm pretty sure that there were quite a few Warios on the panel. I am fine saying that I was on it, but I didn't have much choice in the manner of the more controversial matchups. I pushed for Kirby, Yoshi, Mario, Pit, and a few minor others. The rest I was too late on because I was busy helping with the lacking Pit panel.

I agree that Dedede should be a -2, along with Meta Knight. Marth should be -1, and then Peach in -1.

The way Dedede was decided, really, it could have been a -2 because Dededes were fine with that, but many Warios thought -1 was better (shrugs).

Peaches weren't in favor of changing their big ol' matchup adv on us and I've addressed this, but couldn't fight it by myself. Activity was a huge issue with our panel.

Meta Knight we had submitted as -1 but originally was -2. Now looking back I see it only being a -1.5, but I don't know. Too much controversy, no one could agree much, and we simply went with the Mks on this one.

Marths were pretty much the same boat as Dededes, except the other way around; they thought a -1 was more fair, but were fine with -2 too. We just didn't decide for that, and were deadset on the -2 I guess.

Sorry for the ambiguity of my post, I'm just saying what CAN be said and what little I CAN say considering I didn't contribute enough :( Sorry guys.

And I can't tell who was on the panel, they have to speak for themselves and some members may or may not want to discuss the results because they don't want to be badgered. Either way, you can badger me all you want because I really don't mind. I'll be honest and tell you what I can, or tell you when I can't say.

For instance, asking "What did _____ say about _____'s ratio?" won't work, specific examples of discussion and pointing fingers isn't allowed. Instead, asking "_____, what do you think about _____'s matchup? Do you know why it is ____?" is a better way of doing it, and they don't have to say if they were apart of the panel or not.

Either way I hope this discussion can be tolerable and profitable. Anything that absolutely needs changed will be reflected in your opinions and thoughts in the next iteration. The chart was a means to spike life into individual character boards, in order to discuss matchups more accurately.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Honestly, Wario doesn't really have any 70-30 matchups in his disadvantage, does he? I mean D3 on FD is like THE WORST and even that is imo 65-35 at the worst. 70-30 means that it is very much in one character's favor, and even when both players know the matchup to the very best possible, one still wins a lot more of the time. Does this happen against D3? No, a lot of Wario players dislike the D3 matchup because they don't know it 100%. I can confidently say that I know the D3 matchup extremely well, and it is 60-40 at the WORST (imo).

70-30 against Marth? Yeah right. Against Peach? Praxis thought so in 2008, but in all the money matches I had with him, it went to last game last hit with him employing his "Wario Slayer" technique (Bair wall and Utilts). Granted, it was tough to get through but I found that approaching from above is the best bet, mixing it up with Dairs, airdodges and bites. Grab releases? Wario owns at not getting grabbed, and even if he does die, he should be at least going even if he's playing right.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
I personally think that the list is somewhat correct aside from the obvious top 4.

mk and d3 should be above marth peach. but aside from that, its pretty much correct.

I dont like reading that DK is to be taken lightly. I know an amazing wario that got 3stocked by a DK just a few weeks ago. The matchup is not ****.. :smash:

@pwneroni: i agree 100% with what you said about 70-30 matchups. I dont think there is such a thing. Wario can hold his own against everyone on the roster, but yes he does has a few disadvantages.

2-DJeff

Smash Master
Honestly, Wario doesn't really have any 70-30 matchups in his disadvantage, does he? I mean D3 on FD is like THE WORST and even that is imo 65-35 at the worst. 70-30 means that it is very much in one character's favor, and even when both players know the matchup to the very best possible, one still wins a lot more of the time. Does this happen against D3? No, a lot of Wario players dislike the D3 matchup because they don't know it 100%. I can confidently say that I know the D3 matchup extremely well, and it is 60-40 at the WORST (imo).

70-30 against Marth? Yeah right. Against Peach? Praxis thought so in 2008, but in all the money matches I had with him, it went to last game last hit with him employing his "Wario Slayer" technique (Bair wall and Utilts). Granted, it was tough to get through but I found that approaching from above is the best bet, mixing it up with Dairs, airdodges and bites. Grab releases? Wario owns at not getting grabbed, and even if he does die, he should be at least going even if he's playing right.
i Agree with this
also
Wario vs Mk 55:45 MK not to tough of a MU. remember wario kills this guy pretty damn earlier and wario is able to get around being gimped

Lord Chair

Smash Master
You guys suck at discussing matchups. No one cares about you knowing 'a good Wario' who happened to be 3-stocked by 'a good DK'.

For all I care both of them sucked and didn't know the MU.

Or, more likely, Mr. Wario preferred not to CG properly.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
I fully agree with Chair about the DK matchup... there is absolutely no reason why Wario should lose this matchup when one grab at any % should mean the end of DK's stock. seriously guys, the CG isnt even hard to do.

I also agree with Pwneroni about 70:30's I dont think Wario is that bad in any matchup.

D3 matchup is potentially horrible, but if you play safe it's very very hard for D3 to grab you and each grab isnt even a guaranteed kill, just loads of damage. Wario still has various tools in this matchup, tires, throwing the bike, bite(especially a recovering D3)

Peach Matchup can be pretty horrible too... but at top level I think it is 55:45 or 60:40 at most to Peach... they still have to play smart in the matchup to win it.

I still think MK is 55:45

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
You guys suck at discussing matchups. No one cares about you knowing 'a good Wario' who happened to be 3-stocked by 'a good DK'.

For all I care both of them sucked and didn't know the MU.

Or, more likely, Mr. Wario preferred not to CG properly.
Have you ever vsed a REALLY good DK?

Does Europe even have a really good DK?

B.Mack

Smash Ace
Europe doesnt have any REALLY good DKs afaik... but that doesnt change the fact that DK is one of the easier chars in the game to grab.

bottom line is that for DK to win against a Wario that CG's properly, they have to be able to avoid being grabbed up to 3 times in the match. this includes not being hit by nair or fair(low%) and not getting shieldgrabed throughout. chances of that happening?

let's keep in mind that this is assuming top level play on either side, if the Wario player doesnt drop the easy CG he can pretty much guarantee a kill at any %

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Ook beat my Wario but lost to my Pit.

If that tells you anything.

My problem was I didn't chain grab much at all, as I did not have the "timing" down, if you can even call it that. I usually don't like in-place chain grabs and grab releases anyways. The only one I practice is Falco occasionally, just to show the opponent I'm able to do it, then the rest of the match goes in my favor, even if I drop it lol.

DK...If you drop the CG you could get Forward B'd, killed, ouch. Plus, CG isn't an instant stock, it stops at around 110 or so right? So he isn't gunna die from any attack except minute-half waft perhaps.

Regardless, the matchup is incredibly easy if played right. I got Ook'd pretty bad, but I still took it to last game last hit, I ended up pushing for the kill too early, got stuck in the lag of my fsmash, got forward-B'd into the ground and ate a fullpower dsmash (I literally was sweating/shaking and dropped my controller after getting forward B'd I was so nervous, Ook is scary D: )

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
LOL that is so awesome Krys! What I was aiming at, was Lord Chair said the matchup was "free", which I disagree with. While Wario definitely can CG the crap outta DK, has things that lead into grab at low percents (bite below 16%, Nair, Dair), the monkey man isn't out of the game completely. I'm no expert on the DK metagame, so I'll just say I think it's a 70-30 matchup in our favor.

Nicks

Smash Journeyman
dont forget that DK has grab release to fsmash, usmash and DK punch on us...
he has the ability to kill us at about 80% if he gets a grab near the edge of the stage. now THAT is scary

(S!C)

Smash Journeyman
Europe doesnt have any REALLY good DKs afaik.
luigi players DK is really good, i play with buffered chaingrab against his dk and even then its really close between us.

about wolf, it should be +4 for wario
ddd i would say -3 <.<

(S!C)

Smash Journeyman
i dont mean that, he is much better than me and my post had nothing to do with him <.<
more that dk even with buffered chaingrab he can get out already at 100% with up b

and wolf when he got grabbed at 60% without missclicks its a safe kill

B.Mack

Smash Ace
it shouldnt influence the ratio, but it certainly means that the DK matchup is a bit easier.

(S!C)

Smash Journeyman
especially 4 bowser, wolf, falco is the cg most important.
bowser can get out everytime with upB when you dont buffer the grab

xzx

Smash Lord
(S!C), I don't think the DDD-MU is worse than the MK! And DoK is an easier MU for us than Wolf! ;)

@Pwneroni: Thanks! =)

(S!C)

Smash Journeyman
xzx... ouch

well -->imo<-- ddd is the worst for wario
after that we have meta knight, leon, ramin, quiksilver, diddy kong (damn i hate him).
usual marth is easy to handle with imo, same for zss.
i cant say anything about the GaW MU at least i know he makes me so mad

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Ehhhh.... I kinda think that MK and D3 being -2 is about right.

Also, Ganon should be -3. Not so sure about Bowser. Then I think that'd be a pretty good list.

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
After some research, I think I would update this a little! =P

Actually, I think that MK is worse than DDD, but the reason I think the DDD MU is -3 for Wario is just because Wario really don't have any good stages against DDD (since the starters are all in DDD's favour). The only good stages Wario really has against DDD is LC and Brinstar and RR/RC (and maybe BF). So I think that MK and DDD is just about bad for Wario, but DDD has the stages, meaning the DDD MU is -3! =P What do you think?
D3 isn't -3 vs Wario I'd agree to -1 BF is a bad stage to pick vs D3. He gets stupidly good walling tricks on us that make it very very hard to approach and get the percent lead compared to a stage like SV. Not all the starters are in D3's favor. Just BF, YI, and FD are. The rest we go pretty even vs D3 imo. D3 isn't that bad on RC as he still has wall infinites walk offs and easier gimps on certain parts of the stage.

Snake is even or a +1. I agree with your peach ratio but not your marth ratio. Luigi and Sheik are NOT even Luigi is +1/+2 and Sheik is +2. Pit also isn't +2 he's +1. I agree with the rest of the ratios except CF, (+2) Ike (+1) and Ganondorf (+3)
I'll go into reasons why I think the way I do for the rest of the MUs later...

Top Bottom