• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is That Tournament: December 10th, 2011

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
We in there!!!!!!

Tarheel & Brandon Present.....Is That Tournament?????

30 North 3rd Street San Jose, CA

Parking:
- This is probably the biggest issue when it comes to this tournament.
- There is a parking lot right next to the venue
- 95 N. Third Street, San Jose, CA
- Parking is free in that from 6am - 6pm
- After 6pm it's 4 dollars to get out of where you parked

Directions Using Transit:
Coming From Peninsula:

Using Caltrain Only:
There are alternate routes to the venue for people taking Caltrain:

22 Bus: Take the Caltrain to San Jose Diridon and catch the Eastbound 22 on Santa Clara Street. To get to this stop you will make a left out of the station (or straight if you come out the side) and walk towards the HP Pavilion (down Cahill street). Make a right and then walk until you see a bus stop, sign should have a 22 on it. Board and get off at Santa Clara and 1st. Continue walking down Santa Clara St and make a left. Venue will be on the right side of the street. 30 North 3rd Street. If you went past City Hall on the bus then you rode too far.

If you take the 22 back to the Diridon you will catch the Northbound bus which is on the opposite side where you got off before. Get off at Santa Clara and Montgomery; it's the stop right after the Pavilion. Like right after it so you can miss it if you are not careful

68 Bus: Take the Caltrain to San Jose Diridon and catch the 68 from the train station. Make a left out of the station (straight if you went out the side), go to the rightmost alley in the bus lot, and look at the first stop-- should be bus 68. Take the 68 from the train station and get off at 2nd and Santa Clara St, there will be a grocery store called Zanotto's on the left (this is the same stop people will get off at if they take 181 from bart). If you get to the Safeway then you have gone too far.

To take the 68 back to the station you will need to walk back towards Santa Clara street (left out of the venue). Make a right on Santa Clara and then a left on First Street. There should be a Walgreen's, Subway, and other stuff in this area. The 68 Northbound can be caught at this stop, though I don't remember exactly where it is. It may be kind of far down the street. This NOT the same stop that you got off at to reach the venue (parallel to it). It will take you directly to the Caltrain Station

Neither of these routes should be much, if at all slower, than taking the 522 from Santa Clara station, and they are also cheaper. The express buses (181, 522) cost $4 whereas other buses are $2. It's about a 20-25 min walk from Diridon to the venue for those who don't mind a stroll.

NOTE: If you take BART be sure to grab one of the courtesy transfers from the machine in the lobby. You have to get one before you exit. I think many of the BART stations have VTA transfers, but get the transfers from Fremont to be safe. They will give you a 50% discount on the 181 fare, making it $2 (one way)

Also, Julian knows the public transit in San Jose pretty well, so if you are coming from elsewhere and need directions hit him up
- Caltrain to Santa Clara Station

Using BART/Caltrain
- BART to Milbrae BART/Caltrain
- Caltrain to Santa Clara Station

From Santa Clara Caltrain Station Alternate Route
- Once your at Santa Clara Station
- Take the rapid 522 bus (TIMES HERE) and get off on Santa Clara & 1st Street (it's about a 10 minute bus ride)
- Once you see 1st street get off the bus(you'll have to walk, but it's like a 3 minute walk)
- From there walk forward where the bus was going(if you see Extreme Pizza and Popeyes Chicken, you're walking the right way)
- Walk until you see 3rd Street
- Make a left on 3rd Street
- From there walk until you see superstars game center/30 north street (it's on the right side of the street)

Last Bus
- Last 522 rapid bus to go back to santa clara station is on santa clara & 1st (where you got off earlier)
- It arrives at 6:29pm
- If you wanna stay longer i suggest taking the 181 bus to fremont bart and bart back to the pennisula, although that would be more expensive

- All of this round trip depending on where you live is estimated at probably about $20

Coming From The East Bay:
- Bart to Fremont Bart
- Take the VTA 181(SCHEDULE HERE) at Fremont Bart (it goes to San Jose)
- Get off for at 2nd & Santa Clara (don't panic if you don't see it for awhile, it's take awhile)
- You're at 2nd & Santa Clara
- Walk forward & turn left onto santa clara (if you past the intersection walk back towards and turn right on Santa Clara)
- Walk straight on Santa Clara (it turns into E. Santa Clara)
- Then turn left on 3rd street
- If you see a starbucks you're basically there because the building is right next to it

Last Bus
- The last 181 bus to go back to Fremont Bart is on 1st & Santa Clara (not Santa Clara & 1st)
- It arrives to 1st & Santa Clara at 11:14pm

Coming from Santa Cruz
- Get to Santa Cruz Metro Center
- Take bus 17 to San Jose (about an hour bus ride)
- Head southeast on N. 1st St toward W. Santa Clara St
- turn left at E, Santa Clara St
- turn left at N, 3rd St

I'm not sure as to when the last 17 bus leaves back to Santa Cruz, but it's around 9/10pm

Prices:
Venue: $3
Singles: $5
Doubles: $10 (5 per person)
If you bring a full setup (TV+CUBE) you will get Free Venue

Setups:
If you bring a full setup (TV + CUBE) then you get will get free venue discount from all events($2 off)

List Of Setups
Tv's
1. Brandon
2. Brandon
3. Brandon
4. Brandon
5. Brandon
6. Elliot
7. SFAT
8. Kizzo
9. Moon

Cubes
1. Brandon
2. Moon
3. Tarheel
4. Elliot
5. SFAT
6. Kizzo

Power Strips

Extention Cords.

Prize/Placement Cash
Singles and Doubles Melee Payout:
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

Times:
11am - Doors Open/Set-Up
11am-12pm - Teams Sign-Ups
12:30pm - Teams Begin
4:00pm - Lunch Break/Singles Sign-Ups
4:30pm - Singles Begin
9:00pm - Last minute Friendlies
10:00pm - DIP!!!!!

Melee Singles & Doubles Rules:
-4 stocks
-8 minute time limit
-First to 2 wins advances (best out of 3)
-Winners/Losers Semi-Finals, Winners/Losers-Finals and Grand Finals are best of 5 matches (3 out of 5)
-Double Elimination
-Items Off

More Rules:
Ties broken by...
A. By whoever has more stock.
B. Whoever has lower percent.
C. If they both are at the same percent they will play a 1 stock match on the same stage the sudden death was played on and use the same characters.
- Strikeout method for first match!
- Set your one stage ban after your first match is played.
- Loser counter pick procedure.
- 1. Loser chooses stage.
- 2. Winner chooses character.
- 3. Loser chooses character.
- You can double blind character selection for first match of set.
- Dave’s Stupid Rule (cannot counter pick a stage you have won on in the same set).
- Wobbling and Freeze Glitch is banned

Stages:
Singles Neutrals:
Final Destination
Dream Land 64
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Fountain Of Dreams

Singles Counterpicks:
All Neutral Stages +
Pokemon Stadium
Kongo Jungle 64

Brinstar and Rainbow Cruise are not available counter picks =(

Doubles Neutrals:
Final destination
Dream Land 64
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Pokemon Stadium

Doubles Counterpicks:
Neutrals +
Kongo Jungle 64
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise

Contact US:

By Phone:
Tarheel - 408-341-9634(Ask For Julian)
Brandon - 209-204-2074(Ask For Brandon)

AIM:
- homemadewaffles7
- elihu85

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
this should be good. will get more transit info into the info box soon. we're going to have to be a little more well-behaved than normal. owner of the place said he didn't care too much about us being rowdy, but specifically mentioned swearing. should be all good as long as we avoid screaming obscenities. also there's the potential for more events to be hosted here if it runs smoothly so yeah, let's not **** it up. spread the word, hope to see you guys there

joeplicate

Smash Master
Coming From Pennisula

hahahaha

i would love to make this tournament
but i'm almost certainly gonna be back in socal by that time

host more next quarter!! :)

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
More Info

the main thing that i forgot to touch on

and as julian said earlier

be very careful of your language (i definitely am going to work on this as well)

try to keep it to a minimum i guess

its more so don't yell like "OH ***!"

i say just be more quiet than worrying about saying it

if ur low key about it, it should be all good

also any help with brackets and seeding would be WIDELY appreciated, cuz we're not really that good at it

depending on the circumstances

anyone with a laptop with tio, gets free venue

but yea hopefully people show up and everything goes well

Naota21t

Smash Champion
this is next week? awesomeee cuz im going to a rave this saturday so i'll be free next saturday yeeee.

anyone DOWN TO SESH AT THE TOURNEY? pm/aim me broooos

DarrellD

Smash Ace
Bring cubes guys. lets make this a great tournament =]

Where da4uan doesnt win

Mooo

Smash Apprentice
been smashing for not even half a year now but i feel like i need to go to a tournament for the lulz.
it'll probably step my game up if i can get advice from other smashers, hope you guys are noobfriendly.. =D

Walt

Smash Ace
I would love to go and as usual I would love a ride and would love to give you gas money.

Shroomed

Smash Master
we're noob friendly and will give advice

im also winning so get that **** outta here darrel

edit: the sac tourney is gonna suck, this one is going to be way better

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
well basically

the venue is pretty big

its like more bigger than the cgc room

and not as packed

everything is basically set

the only thing we're lacking is:

Power Strips, Extension Cords, Cubes

we about like 5 of each of those

if anyone can bring them that would be greatly appreciated

other than that

everything looks pretty good =)

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
So I'm going to dominate this tournament.

I'm not getting 17th at another local. Top 5 for me this time

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
some comments about the venue:

the building is a magic the gathering store and is spacious; i was shocked by how large it was when i went inside for the first time. there were at least 15 rows, each with two long tables, set up when i met with the store manager again yesterday. we don't have the entire place to ourself--it's not like they will shut down just b/c we are using it-- but we have a large section dedicated to the tournament. the reason for monitoring language is that they may be running their own events elsewhere in the store throughout the day and may have customers as well, so be considerate.

also, we're looking good on tv's, cubes, and power strips, but i want to reiterate the need for extension cords. most power strips won't have long enough cords for the setups in the middle of the floor to reach the wall outlets. please let brandon or me know if you have an extension cord that you could donate for the day, and let us know how long it is

Top Bottom