• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Singles Ruleset Idea (just want feedback)

What do you think of this ruleset?

• I would support this ruleset

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • It's no good. We have a good ruleset as it is

Votes: 21 39.6%
  • Other (please post idea)

Votes: 8 15.1%

• Total voters

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Kage has said what I would have, but I had to sleep (Aus timezonneeee)

I've had my work cut out for me

Bones0

Smash Legend
(in reference to BF, DL, YS stage list)
I never understood why everyone hates FoD. It's pretty neutral for a lot of matchups. The sides are really thin, but it has a high ceiling as well. People whine about the platforms, but I feel like that's just because most people don't take the time to learn how to actually use them because all of the other neutrals are played relatively similar.

I'm hosting a tournament soon, and this is my rule set. I didn't make FD a counterpick (yet?), but I plan on using the New DSR as well as choosing characters before stages (I think that was mentioned in this thread; can't remember with all the stage discussions lol).

MELEE RULES:
- 4 stocks
- ALL sets are a Best of 5
- No items
- 8 minute timer
- Time limit tie breakers are as follows: most stocks; least %; 1-stock, 4-min rematch; play out Sudden Death (lol Bob-ombs)
- Pause is disabled (if you forget to turn it off, I promise to pause-unpause right before your ledge tech)
- Stalling and game-freezing glitches are banned
- Wobbling is legal
- At either player's request, neutral ports (for starting positions) may be enforced.
- Stages are struck in 1221 fashion (lowest port chooses striking order; port conflicts decided by RPS).
- Each player gets 1 ban after a win. Bans are temporary, and do not last the entire set (Ex. You win Game 1 and ban FD. I counterpick DL and lose Game 2 as well. You can reban FD or switch your ban to DL (or any other stage).
- New DSR: Players cannot counterpick a stage they have already won on TWICE during that set.
- Characters are chosen PRIOR to stage bans and counterpicks (Ex. I win Game 1 on BF. I choose my character. You choose your character. I ban a stage. You choose a counterpick from the remaining stages.).

LEGAL STAGES:
Singles:
- Battlefield
- Dream Land
- Final Destination
- Fountain of Dreams
- Yoshi's Story
- Pokemon Stadium (counter-pick)

Doubles:
- Battlefield
- Dream Land
- Final Destination
- Pokemon Stadium
- Yoshi's Story
- Kongo Jungle (counter-pick)

Criticism?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Bones, I love your use of my New DSR. Btw, who is dave? My name is Dave and I'm making this **** better. ITS MINE. LOL

Also, I like your stage list a lot. Seriously I think we're moving in a good direction when I see stuff like this. Are you going to the tourney in fairfax tomorrow?

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Bones, I love your use of my New DSR. Btw, who is dave? My name is Dave and I'm making this **** better. ITS MINE. LOL

Also, I like your stage list a lot. Seriously I think we're moving in a good direction when I see stuff like this. Are you going to the tourney in fairfax tomorrow?
Dave is Scamp, wayyyyy oldschool west coast TO.

Bones0

Smash Legend

Wish I could. I have no car, and the only Smasher within 30 min of me is DJ, who is leaving for Jamaica tomorrow morning. I'm basically stranded for the rest of the week without Melee. -.-

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
I feel the newer DSR should only be used in bo5 sets (maybe want to note that in rule sets if you adopt it) and old DSR for bo3.
Allows a bit more stage variety, but won't exhaust the stage list seeing as its only bo3

Bones0

Smash Legend
New DSR wouldn't make sense in a Bo3. It would be the same as not having any DSR at all. lol It only applies if someone wins twice on the same stage, in which case the set would be over.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
New DSR wouldn't make sense in a Bo3. It would be the same as not having any DSR at all. lol It only applies if someone wins twice on the same stage, in which case the set would be over.
That's why I'm saying DSR should be modified depending on set length

bo3 = Old DSR (cannot win on same stage more than once)

bo5 = New DSR (cannot win on same stage more than twice)

Bones0

Smash Legend
That's why I'm saying DSR should be modified depending on set length

bo3 = Old DSR (cannot win on same stage more than once)

bo3 = New DSR (cannot win on same stage more than twice)
I'm assuming you meant Bo5 for the second one. I was just clarifying that no one ever intended New DSR for Bo3 sets. Using Old DSR for Bo3 and New DSR for Bo5 should go without saying...

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
I'm assuming you meant Bo5 for the second one. I was just clarifying that no one ever intended New DSR for Bo3 sets. Using Old DSR for Bo3 and New DSR for Bo5 should go without saying...
Thanks for pointing that out (fixed it!)

And yeah, was just making sure since I'd not be keen for a rule that would make bo3's a little stale at times.

Top Bottom