• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pathways Smash XI April

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/PathwaysSmash
AllIsBrawl: http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=11725
Springfield, MO discussion thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298346
Results thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=12613578
May tournament thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=302399

No entry fee; prizes may be awarded based on attendance and funding, but aren't guaranteed. Please bring your own controller. The starting time is yet to be determined, but the current idea is 3:00 PM.

April tournament will feature singles brackets in both Brawl and Melee. We will also try to do doubles brackets for both games. If the match is being recorded, please use identifying nicknames so that Ugvts has an easier time keeping track of who is who when he uploads them.

March tournament will feature a normal double elimination singles bracket, and a double elimination Melee singles bracket. We will also try to do doubles brackets for both of these games. If the match is being recorded, please use identifying nicknames so that Ugvts has an easier time keeping track of who is who when he uploads them.

In parallel, we will hopefully be running a Super Street Fighter 4 double elimination bracket, but this is not promised.

If we end up having side tournaments, they will likely be single elimination, and games may include: Soul Calibur 4, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, and Super Smash Bros 64 (Virtual Console). There is also the possibility of a Super Street Fighter IV double elimination tournament.

If you plan on showing up, it would be ideal to contact Terral in advance. This is to ensure that we know how many people to expect, and won't start the tournament before everyone has arrived.

Tournaments are scheduled for the third Saturday of each month, but this may change on a monthly basis.

For the curious, there should be some kind of food and soda, and the venue has water fountains. Expect pizza.

If you think you may need to text someone, Terral can provide a cell phone number.

Venue Details

Name: Pathways United Methodist Church
Address: 1232 E. Dale Street
Springfield, Missouri, United States

Don't break anything, keep to the rooms where the tournament is in. The tournament will most likely be in the basement; facing the main parking lot, there is a dark metal door by a window and drain-thing, inside the door the basement stairs are to the left.

Rules

Brawl:
Double elimination
3 stocks, 8 minute timer, items off/none
Best 2 of 3, 3 of 5 for finals (or 2 of 3 if players agree)

Extended rules:
- Extending the duration of Meta Knight's dimensional cape is banned
- Pausing is not allowed without both players' consent
- Infinites should not carry on beyond 250% damage
- In the event of a timed-out game involving Meta Knight, if an MK has a ledge grab count over 40, that player loses the match
- Sudden Death is ignored: the result of the match is determined by stock, and then percentage
- No stalling (see SBR definition, but it's pretty obvious)
- Chaingrabbing to KO off of a static walk-off ledge is banned (static i.e. Bridge of Eldin or Yoshi's Island (Melee); doing so on Delfino Plaza or Castle Siege would be legal)
- If a true tie occurs, resolve with a rematch (same characters+stage) at one stock, three minutes
- Any case not mentioned here should probably fall back onto SBR rules

Match-up specific rules:
- If a character matchup is chosen that has a character-specific infinite or near-infinite, if the character with an infinite counter-picked the other player, the disadvantaged player may choose to reset the character selection process (they choose a different character, opponent counter-picks again; this can happen only once)
Affected:
Dedede's standing infinite (Mario, Luigi, Samus, Donkey Kong)
Marth's infinite re-grab (Ness, Lucas)

First round of a set:
- select characters for first set
- strike out stages from starter: one player strikes a stage, other player strikes two stages, first player chooses the stage from the two remaining (1221)
- each player may ban a stage for the set
After:
- loser chooses counter-pick stage*
- winner chooses character
- loser chooses character

- When choosing a character, multi-character slots are to be specified (ie ZSS or Samus, Shiek or Zelda); Pokemon Trainer can alternatively be randomized

* You can't counter-pick a stage that you've already won on in the set, unless agreed upon

Stage List:
Starter:
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium

Counter-pick:
Final Destination
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Frigate Orpheon
Brinstar
Pictochat
Rainbow Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 2
Jungle Japes
Norfair
Doubles rules follow BBR standards
Friendly fire is on, life stealing allowed, etc.

---
Super Street Fighter 4:
Play for best of 3 best of 3, with finals being best of 5 best of 3. Double elimination. Random stage, since picking is pointless.

---
Melee:
4 stocks, 8 minute timer, items off/none
Best 2 of 3, 3 of 5 for finals (or 2 of 3 if players agree)

Character choice/stage selection is identical to Brawl's rules.

Stage List:
Starter:
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter-pick:
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Planet Zebes: Brinstar
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Well it would definitely be great to have you back, I'd like to play you in some friendlies. We'd understand if you decided against coming, though, it's quite the drive.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Better late than never. Are we going to get any travelling players this time? When would be a good time to start the tournament for everyone?

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Terral, your copy and paste is showing again. (March was XI, so April should be XII)
Just thought I would let you know, lol

-Sinister-

Smash Ace
Better late than never. Are we going to get any travelling players this time? When would be a good time to start the tournament for everyone?
is likely to come as long as i can get a ride. looking forward to playing those of you coming to columbia next month as well

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Terral, your copy and paste is showing again. (March was XI, so April should be XII)
Just thought I would let you know, lol
Actually, XI stands for 11, which is for 2011. So, surprisingly, it's correct.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I mentioned this on AllIsBrawl, so I thought I'd mention it here: we'll have some small novelty prizes at the tournament. It's nothing to die for, but I should have something for every first place winner.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I think I'll keep them secret until we deal out the first prize. I'll disclose the total price I paid for all of the prizes, though: $2.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I hope you Columbia guys come back, it was awesome having you here last month. If you guys know any Brawl players around there you can feel free to tip them off about our tournaments, too.

>Bert<

Smash Ace
I don't mind coming one bit, and I truthfully don't mind the drive. Only problem I have is my Jeep's horrible gas mileage lol. Hopefully someone else can drive us next time. I have a feeling if Akuma/Leum/Leviathan came, any one of them might drive (might being the key word here. I stress it a lot lol).

Linkz17

Smash Apprentice
I have to say, I'm looking forward to meeting all of you guys that went this last time that I couldn't. Looking forward to a good time with all of you. I'm still the reigning Pathways Brawl Champ, so I know I'll have fun, lol.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
I'm no longer the reigning melee champ...but Saber and VTS aren't going this time. Columbia is too good though so they'll probably have something to say about the next champ.

>Bert<

Smash Ace
I really wish I could get like every single one of them to come. I know for a fact they would all have a great time, its just more of a matter of weekends that actually "work" for them.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I found people who may be or become interested in going to the next tournament. I'm going to try to make sure I hook them up with details at some point. I think they're mostly mixed (Brawl + Melee), but some prefer Melee. They're not great, but they have a good understanding of the games.

Linkz17

Smash Apprentice
I found people who may be or become interested in going to the next tournament. I'm going to try to make sure I hook them up with details at some point. I think they're mostly mixed (Brawl + Melee), but some prefer Melee. They're not great, but they have a good understanding of the games.
Yay, more brawlers for me to beat to play with! :bee:

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Or if they main Jigglypuff and use her dramatic tier list advantage over Zelda.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Linkz beats my Snake, and I like to think that my Snake is competent.

Linkz17

Smash Apprentice
Or if they main Jigglypuff and use her dramatic tier list advantage over Zelda.
Jigglypuff is higher on the tier list, but Zelda has the advantage as far as the MU goes. So...lol. Plus, Jiggz isn't that hard to deal with.

Snake

10char
Lmao, Snake. That's such an easy MU for me. Unless you're a super pro Snake like Ally, I pretty much have the match in the bag.

Hmm...SWF is all fruity looking now. Eww...

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Zelda has weird matchups. I've tried everything against Linkz, I only beat his Zelda in friendlies using Olimar. I beat it once in the random tournament when I rolled Meta Knight, but I don't count that since he wasn't prepared for it.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I might be getting some newcomers to the next tournament, hopefully they all show up. I'm trying to recruit the people I've been playing at OTC. They aren't tournament level just yet, but they all show at least a fair amount of potential, some more than others. We have a Yoshi (Melee+Brawl), a Link (hasn't really played Brawl, just mainly Melee), a G&W (Brawl+Melee), and some others. I believe all of them will play both Brawl and Melee. Not sure who out of the group will want to show up, but I'm going to try to get as many as I can, and hopefully some of those who do show will gain enough interest to pursue their potential.

Top Bottom