• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thinking of hosting a smashfest...

SSBM_or_GTFO

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking of hosting a smashfest in NC around the Westfield area and I have a few questions.

1) What are good ways of finding decent venues? Or is it just asking around/searching for one?

2) What's to be expected of a smashfest host? I know there's a topic explaining hosting tournaments but none on smashfests. Or are smashfests generally more laidback?

3) Are there typically entry fees? I'd assume not but it can't hurt to ask and preferably, I'd rather host a free event.

Any other info or advice you can give would be great, thanks. :D

D

Deleted member

I was thinking of hosting a smashfest in NC around the Westfield area and I have a few questions.

1) What are good ways of finding decent venues? Or is it just asking around/searching for one?

2) What's to be expected of a smashfest host? I know there's a topic explaining hosting tournaments but none on smashfests. Or are smashfests generally more laidback?

3) Are there typically entry fees? I'd assume not but it can't hurt to ask and preferably, I'd rather host a free event.

Any other info or advice you can give would be great, thanks. :D
you might be better off posing these questions to the better known TOs of the game rather than atlantic south. I'll try to give a generalized, easy answer.

1. finding decent venues must first address cost. Private homes are ideal for this so long as you have sufficient space and the target residence is accessible and...not a dump. if a private property is off limits, your next best target should be simple public structures made for local gatherings. we're talking fire halls, church basements, or american legion posts. some of them will simply let you use the space as a public service, but most will probably charge you some small amount for electricity, toilet paper, janitorial services, or other small fees. call around and see what you can find. again, accessibility is a bonus, so try to avoid 15+ minute drives away from major highways, poor neighborhoods, etc.

2. a smashfest is essentially just a minor tournament for the sake of improvement, and are less serious in nature. you can opt to run TIO but generally standard brackets on paper are fine. you're also free to experiment with other ideas such as round robin, only running teams, etc. the standard fare for a smashfest is $5 entry fee. try not t g to $10 or above because there's a huge psychological difference between $5 and $10 and it can hurt your number of entrants. smashfests also tend to be heavily based around friendlies, so if you just want to have people come and play smash with no tournament, that's fine too. just advertise your event accordingly, and ask the people attending what they want. the flexibility can be really nice to work with.

3. you'll want to cover venue costs with a venue fee if tere is one. if you do a tournament, do $5 to start. I like doing $1 tournaments with prizes personally, since you can have a lot of fun with the prizes too (the cash is one of the prizes). again, ask people want the want to have and just make sure to cover your costs.

SSBM_or_GTFO

Smash Apprentice
you might be better off posing these questions to the better known TOs of the game rather than atlantic south. I'll try to give a generalized, easy answer.

1. finding decent venues must first address cost. Private homes are ideal for this so long as you have sufficient space and the target residence is accessible and...not a dump. if a private property is off limits, your next best target should be simple public structures made for local gatherings. we're talking fire halls, church basements, or american legion posts. some of them will simply let you use the space as a public service, but most will probably charge you some small amount for electricity, toilet paper, janitorial services, or other small fees. call around and see what you can find. again, accessibility is a bonus, so try to avoid 15+ minute drives away from major highways, poor neighborhoods, etc.

2. a smashfest is essentially just a minor tournament for the sake of improvement, and are less serious in nature. you can opt to run TIO but generally standard brackets on paper are fine. you're also free to experiment with other ideas such as round robin, only running teams, etc. the standard fare for a smashfest is $5 entry fee. try not t g to $10 or above because there's a huge psychological difference between $5 and $10 and it can hurt your number of entrants. smashfests also tend to be heavily based around friendlies, so if you just want to have people come and play smash with no tournament, that's fine too. just advertise your event accordingly, and ask the people attending what they want. the flexibility can be really nice to work with.

3. you'll want to cover venue costs with a venue fee if tere is one. if you do a tournament, do $5 to start. I like doing $1 tournaments with prizes personally, since you can have a lot of fun with the prizes too (the cash is one of the prizes). again, ask people want the want to have and just make sure to cover your costs.
Ok, thanks. I'll begin work on organizing this. If I have any problems, I'll do what you said and ask well known TOs.

Top Bottom