• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Southwest Melee Thread

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Update:

Regional tournament!

NYTE
Nicknyte's Yearly Tournament Extravaganza
Southwest Regional Smash Tournament
April 7-8, 2012 Tucson, AZ​
Click to find out more!!!

I've been thinking about making this thread for a while, and I think it's a good idea. We all keep together in our respective threads, never really saying hello to each other (well, the exception of AZ and NM being butt buddies). So, lets make this official. This is the Southwest thread, created to bring together the community of the deserty/rocky mountain regions together...and Texas. A couple things to be clear about here.

1. No state bashing unless it's sports related because everyone knows that Arizona is king of the Pac-10.
2. Regional Tournaments should be posted here. I would like to encourage OoS'ers to visit Tucson for our Monthlies as Axe, Taj, and Vectorman tend to show up. It's worth your time.
3. If anyone has any ideas for this thread, feel free to give an opinion.
4. If we get a good gist of the Southwest community, we can create a Southwest Melee Power Ranking.

So lets get to it.

Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado (dead state), Texas AND OKLAHOMA (lol wtf) :D

Only Cities with Active communities Will be stated on this list.

Semi Active: Community has meleers but not very many or active in state affairs.
Active: Community has meleers, but not the main competitive scene.
Melee Capital: Core of Melee scene in the state. A state may or may not have a Capital if it is even Activity between different cities.

Arizona Melee Community Break Down
Flagstaff: Semi Active
Phoenix: Active
Tucson: Melee Capital
Sierra Vista: Semi Active *OP Lives Here :D*

Texas Melee Community Break Down
Houston: Melee Capital in dispute!!!
Dallas/FW: Melee Capital in dispute!!!
Austin: Melee Capital in dispute!!!
San Antonio: Semi Active
The Rio Grande Valley: Active
Witchita Falls: Semi Active

Oklahoma Melee Community Break Down
Norman: Melee Capital
Oklahoma City: Active
Moore: Active
Midwest City: Semi Active
Edmond: Semi Active
Paul's Valley: Semi Active
Tulsa: Semi Active

Utah Melee Community Break Down
Salt Lake City: Melee Capital
Orem: Active

Colorado Melee Community Break Down
No Melee Communities Exist within this State.
Lmfao there aren't any known melee kids in Colorado at all? Are you freaking serious? Wow, that's kind of depressing...

If anyone sees any inconsistencies, let me know.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Texas should be split in half. I mean the active part of Texas is literally on the opposite side from where the rest of y'all are lol Houston Dallas Austin are all active and on the east side near LA, OK, and AR.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Ignore Stretch. No really, put him on you ignore list. I try not to think he exists (seriously). You have a point though. How is texas usually split up?

I'd think it's like, 7 more states.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Yeah, whenever I try to break Texas into regions, it usually ends up as just four major secs for me.

Pan Handle, Austin to Ft. Worth and East, Southern half of Texas, and West Texas. All the players are in Central to East Texas. Mainly in Austin, DFW, and Houston. We have some players in Brownsville that are good (Broly and the rest of RGV).

However, that's the only active melee city we have that isn't on the East side. I could be wrong about that though. But I mean if someone were on the West side, I'd think y'all would've heard from them by now.

EDIT: Forgot about the El Paso Thread lol but chances are that y'all have played them more than we ever have..

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
lol people live in El Paso? I just assumed it was deserted...

But seriously Texas is way too huge for its own good, and it makes traveling out of state a real pain.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Yeah, I know right lol and people scrutinize us for not going places.

And there are some people in El Paso. I'm not sure if they're brawlers or melee kids though.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
If memory serves me correctly El Paso is mainly Brawl, as are Lubbock and Amarillo (and apparently Nacogdoches).

Houston and Austin (courtesy of Smash Club) are the only two cities left with sizable Melee communities, although somehow DFW ended up with the best players.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Wobbles, who might as well be AZ, was originally from Texas but he just went to AZ for school or something. Darkrain moved from somewhere like Kansas I think? DoH is just old and has been in it for an incredibly long time. He's also probably the only one in this state who likes to travel for this game and does it consistently.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
I really wish Texas was more organized. How does one make the state tournament worthy? :p

I know Austin is having a function soon, I am trying to see if it is a good choice to go on that day. I'll find out friday.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Texas doesn't like the idea of a PR system though. That's why we haven't had one in a while. I'm not actually sure why we don't like it though lol too new for that. I couldn't really careless about one.

I think it had something to do with how many active and inactive players we have. We're not consistent in how active we are so a PR system could easily become outdated. Something like that.

Austin looks like they're trying to start one up. Just between them though.

Well, we haven't had a state worthy tournament in a while..so I think this NSIC tournament could gather a few of us up.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Texas should be split in half. I mean the active part of Texas is literally on the opposite side from where the rest of y'all are lol Houston Dallas Austin are all active and on the east side near LA, OK, and AR.
I kinda agree with this. Seems Texas is too big for one region. Imma try to split the state int good sections.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Here's a good way to break it up:

Houston: Melee, Brawl
Dallas/FW: Brawl (Melee-ish)
Austin: Melee, Brawl
San Antonio: Brawl (Melee-ish)
Brownsville: Melee?
El Paso: Brawl
Lubbock: Brawl
Amarillo: Brawl
College Station: Brawl

El Paso is pretty much its own region, you can group Lbk and Amarillo together, Brownsville I guess can be grouped with Houston although its way further south, Houston, DFW, SA, College Station and Austin form a smash block where the highest concentration of players is.
Any other city I don't feel has a legit community.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
East Texas is pretty much the real Texas, where everything happens. Unfortunately, many outsiders have the perception that West Texas represents the state. It's pretty much mostly desert, and wherever they could find some resources they slapped a city there. I've been to Lubbock a couple times, I really couldn't think of a reason why they decided to build a city, and moreover a major university there. You can't even drink the tap water there w/o putting your health at risk.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Lmao, who thought that West Texas represents us? Lol I haven't talked to anyone who thinks that. The people who I've talked to are mostly focused on San Antonio and The Alamo xD

But yeah, that map that you have there is about how accurate the scenes are lol..

And that map seems really funny lol it looks like they moved DFW over to the west..a lot.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Oh, that's what you meant lol I see.

What I thought you meant was that people think of those random cities and stuff in West Texas rather than them thinking about Houston Dallas Austin etc.

Yeah, they pretty much all think that. One of my friends actually gave me a Texan accent too..I was like lolwut are you serious? I'm not sure if you've ever heard me talk before but yeah I don't have an accent at all.

So how are we going to do this though? Because we can't really play each other that often, how is this thread going to work lol I think that it'll mostly just be how it is now. We just watch y'alls fights online whenever your monthly tournaments end and then just comment on them and the other way around. Except we never record..

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Actually, my current research is over Texas English (Sociophonetics).
Current data suggests exactly what one would expect, a general shift towards "valley girl" or California speech from older to younger generations, and in Houston and DFW a greater prevalence of Midwestern or "Standard American" speech. As you move West you hear more of the proto-typical "Texan accent".

This is of course mainly based on Anglo speakers.

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
texas is usually absorbed into other states.

the very east and lousiana are usually together.

dallas and oklahoma work together more than dallas and the lower east.

austin and sa generally together

west texas is closer to the bigger NM states right? i hear them going to NM tournaments for brawl more than they go to houston.

the south idk

so like yeah pretty much absorbed into other states and houston/san antonio/austin is texas

the southmost part of texas tho idk i guess part of the houston/sa/austin cept unfortunately far away.

but this is generally how i see the large cities being split up

TxZero

Smash Cadet
Theres actually an active melee group from Wichita Falls. Little to no brawl here though. Sooo there isn't absolutely NO melee outside of east texas, but the problem is the closest place for anyone here to play is in Oklahoma

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Oh, that's what you meant lol I see.

What I thought you meant was that people think of those random cities and stuff in West Texas rather than them thinking about Houston Dallas Austin etc.

Yeah, they pretty much all think that. One of my friends actually gave me a Texan accent too..I was like lolwut are you serious? I'm not sure if you've ever heard me talk before but yeah I don't have an accent at all.

So how are we going to do this though? Because we can't really play each other that often, how is this thread going to work lol I think that it'll mostly just be how it is now. We just watch y'alls fights online whenever your monthly tournaments end and then just comment on them and the other way around. Except we never record..
That's the reason for the Southwest Airline Circles. If you plan 2 months ahead on any flight, getting to most locations is easy. Protip for those who want to get to a tournament far away from us. Also, this thread isn't Texas. We are just trying to find a way to split it. Overall, its a discussion board, so all of us will be in the loop for happening things in our communities. Texas is an anomaly because even though it's Southwest, It really needs to be split into West and East Texas, and west should be Southwest and East should be Atlantic South.

TxZero

Smash Cadet
That's the reason for the Southwest Airline Circles. If you plan 2 months ahead on any flight, getting to most locations is easy. Protip for those who want to get to a tournament far away from us. Also, this thread isn't Texas. We are just trying to find a way to split it. Overall, its a discussion board, so all of us will be in the loop for happening things in our communities. Texas is an anomaly because even though it's Southwest, It really needs to be split into West and East Texas, and west should be Southwest and East should be Atlantic South.
And where I'm located could almost be considered Midwest.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
And where I'm located could almost be considered Midwest.
Of course, for some great reason, OK is also Southwest. For now, we have the melee found out for the state. At least we got that straignt. I'll edit the first post moderately to show Towns and cities that have active Melee communities in the SW.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
I actually didn't realize that we considered OK south west lol

I mean I've seen the thread in this section but it just never clicked for me that they were south west lol I always considered them midwest.

And now that you mention it, why didn't we just set up our board in the Atlantic South section..I mean we there are no rules stating that we have to go to the region that we are classified in..

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Cause that would be pretty pointless for me, I'm in Arizona. I could say the same for making a Southwest Thread for Pac West. It's up to you if you want to create that. This thread is for group discussion of the Southwest Melee Community.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
hey since when is oklahoma more wack/less active than CO/UT?
i guess we're just farther from AZ but lol at that assumption.
also really confused why everyone's geography is so bad. at school (CT) everyone thinks i'm from the midwest but when did TX forget we were right there? man, southwest melee is hilarious :) i'll be home for a year so i'll try to get OK to do its part in being active in the greater southwest region. really good idea, nicknyte, and i hope as a region we can stray from being the least active and probably considered the crappiest to a combined might that is a force to be reckoned with > : )
reckon...
reckon...
oh **** i am a hick.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
It's not that our geography is really bad lol it's that people gave us misleading regional zone labels.

So, what's been up with the rest of South West? I never hear anything from New Mexico.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
I know this one a little. I know that alb is melee capital of nm. Las cruces has people who can play but its not really a smash worthy group, thus the very deserted circle in el paso

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Lmfao there aren't any known melee kids in Colorado at all? Are you freaking serious? Wow, that's kind of depressing...

And lol at Houston being the Melee capital of Texas xD I think that that should go to Austin. We have better overall players, but we don't have as many players. So I guess it just depends on what you're looking at. Maybe who would win in a crew battle.

Btw Texas, crew battle for an actual decision??

Maybe add an active players list that each of us could give for that entire city.

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
Houston vs Austin? What would that look like? Maybe something like ...

Jake, Oscar, Syba, Killa whale, TSC/Broly (he's moving here right) vs. Tirno, MT, JF, Kal, Reqy in 5 man crews? So many possibilities though. :)

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Jake Oscar Syba TSC Paul. This is what we've agreed upon mostly compared to how well we do in the city in general.

Broly is just moving here but that doesn't mean that he is going to represent us if we had a crew battle against RGV. They're still a viable applicant for the best overall players in Texas with Cloud and Vash in the other two slots. So maybe something like:

Broly, Vash, Fro, Cloud, and someone. For RGV

Austin is as you said most likely.

Dallas will probably win actually now that I think about it. Having Wobbles, Doh, Darkrain, and just two other people to take up the slots.

Who usually wins in AZ? I don't even know what cities y'alls players live in xD. Is Phoenix the best or just the most active?

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Kal beat all of Houston at our last tourney, thus I think we deserve to be the Melee capital.
Plus ya know, we have an actual club (which might as well be called Melee club).

Top Bottom