• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Monthlies (Melee, Brawl, AH3) 4/30/11

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Melee, Brawl, Arcana Heart 3
April 30th, 2011 (Saturday)
Norman, OK
Welcome Oklahoma to the first Oklahoma Monthlies. Probably calling these the Universal Oklahoma Monthlies (since thay are at the university) I also like NOMs (Norman Oklahoma Monthlies) because we know that a good helping of smash does a smashing body good. But I don't want people to think that we are focusing on Norman, these events hope to reach statewide.
The purpose of monthlies is threefold.
1. To improve our game in state and prepare for tournaments.
2. Encourage an active scene of amateurs and professionals.
3. To generate some income that will help our players travel out of state.
After this first month, we plan to add an amateur Melee bracket and some power ranking updates going, and maybe get a little Arcana Heart action going on the side.

These will be hosted that insane crazy Hazy Goose and Your liberator! Your luminary! Your leader and beacon! The one who vanquished the tyranny of the user those many cycles before! Sooooooolidus.

Brawl should be going down with some hehlp from that Illustrious LCD Elite..
of

Sooner Room in the Oklahoma Memorial Student Union at the University of Oklahoma
900 Asp Ave # 428
Norman, OK 73069-4849
Free Parking on Saturday
[collapse=Expand for map of building interior]

[/collapse]Time
Registration & Setup 12:00 PM
Registration Closes 1:00 PM
Tournaments Begin 1:30 PM (Arcana 2:00)

Fees
$5 Community Fee (goes to players fund, I will hold onto this in a lockbox) Waiver of $2 if you bring a Smash setup.
$10 Smash Singles
$10 Smash Teams (per team, $5 per player)
$5 Arcana Heart 3

Payout for all Tournaments
<16 entrants = 70/30
>17 but <24 = 60/30/10
>24 = 55/25/15/5
17-24, top 4 25+

Melee (Singles and Teams)
These rules will be subject to change on a monthly basis for the purpose of preparation for tournaments Oklahoma plans to host or attend.
[collapse=Melee Rules]
Stage List

Singles

Starter Stage List:
  • Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
  • Past Stages: Dream Land
  • Special Stages: Final Destination
  • Special Stages: Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
  • Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
  • Planet Zebes: Brinstar
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
  • Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

Teams

Starter Stage List:
  • Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
  • Past Stages: Dream Land
  • Special Stages: Final Destination
  • Special Stages: Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
  • Planet Zebes: Brinstar
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
  • Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

General Rules

• Items are set to off.
  • Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
  • Regular sets are best of 3 matches until Loser's/Winner's/Grand Finals which is 3/5 games.
  • The Tournament Host is the arbiter of all disputes.
  • Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
  • Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
  • Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players and the Tournament Host agree to it, including banned stages. This can be used in tandem with the Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR).
  • Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.

Additional Rules for Teams Play
  • Life Stealing is allowed
  • Set team attack to ON

Counter Pick System

1. Blind Picks character selection.
  2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 2 1 order.
  3. The first match is played.
  4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
  5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
  6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
  7. The losing player picks character.
  8. The next match is played.
  9. Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.
[/collapse]

Brawl (Singles and Teams)
[Collapse=Brawl Rules]

Starter Stage List:

• Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Smashville
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Counter Stage List:

• Battleship Halberd
  • Brinstar
  • Castle Siege
  • Delfino Plaza
  • Frigate Orpheon
  • Pictochat
  • Pokemon Stadium 1
  • Pokémon Stadium 2
  • Rainbow Cruise

General Rules
3 Stocks
8 Minute Time Limit
Items set to "Off" and "None"
All infinites are legal.
Meta Knight's Infinite Cape Glitch and Extended Cape Glitch are banned.
There is a Ledge Grab Limit of 35 for Meta Knight and 50 for all other characters. If a game goes to time and one player goes over the Ledge Grab Limit for their character, they will automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored.
The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
If the Ledge Grab Limit does not declare one player the winner, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations, except for when players are presented with sudden death:
In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
If the match ends with both players dying at the same time (either coincidentally or via suicide move) or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 13 is used for Meta Knight, and 18 for all other characters.

Additional Rules for Teams Play
Team Attack set to "On"
Life stealing is allowed.
In the event of a game reaching the time limit, if a single player on a team exceeds their Ledge Grab Limit, that team loses. If one or more players on both teams exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then the Ledge Grab Limit rule is ignored.
In the event of a game going to time and the Ledge Grab Limit can not determine a winner and both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, then whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.
If a player is using the character Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, or Sonic, either team may request that team colors be changed to make it easier to tell the difference between team players.[/collapse]

Arcana Heart 3 Mini-Tourney
[Collapse=Arcana Heart 3 Rules]
Round Time: 60 seconds
2/3 games until Loser's/Winner's/Grand Finals which is 3/5 games.
4:3 Resolution
Simple Mode: OFF
[/collapse]

Were adding some Arcana Heart 3. Why? Because this game has a burgeoning scene and is honestly one of the best most interesting fighters to be released since Melee in 2001 or Guilty Gear in 2002. Most of our Melee scene is playing it right now, and I want to have a place where they can play all the games they love at once. I encourage others to check the game out and play some friendlies!

Finally, Witchita Falls, Midwest City, and Tulsa people, I hope to see you at these.

I also would like everyone to provide me and Hazy directly with input, and encourage the use of the facebook group.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
30th of april planned date. we might as well start polling for what works for people in may...should we continue a pattern of last weekend of the month, or should we just see what days smashers are available?

i'll post the melee ruleset up soon, if you don't mind editing your first post, forest. we can also collect contact info/active smasher lists and add them here, as well as a hitlist and prizes (this will take me more time since i'm going to need to talk to the top 5 in OK personally first)

/subscribed

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
also Wednesdays seem to b a good time to host say..... for people who cant make it to the normal monthlies? its late... so its not like people will be doin stuffs.... i just know my days are pretty much Mon. and Tues. to be off. atleast till June :(

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
also Wednesdays seem to b a good time to host say..... for people who cant make it to the normal monthlies? its late... so its not like people will be doin stuffs.... i just know my days are pretty much Mon. and Tues. to be off. atleast till June :(
That might be okay once school lets out, but until then people who attend college will be studying and/or sleeping for class the next day. Or maybe that's just me :c

The 30th sounds great to me.

TxZero

Smash Cadet
Weekdays are really bad for anyone from Wichita Falls, the 30th works though.

My personal vote is for the last saturday of each month.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
yeah and i like the intimikill ruleset. but since monthlies are to increase competitive activity, etc, we really should be using a *pound* ruleset even if slightly modified to prepare for all the regional/national tournaments that use it. for brawl i have no idea, they're currently in a big discussion about a unified ruleset...i'll leave it up to curtis again to decide on what would be both fair and appropriate for OOSer training.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
For the purpose of bettering ourselves, we should be using as many stages as possible at monthlies IMO just for the most experience. If you end up at a tournament where some semi-legal or rare stage is present its good to know that field.

A diversity of stages also often forces you into unfamiliar situations that can improve your ability to quickly consider all of your options from a different perspective. You don't train FD Fox Only.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
how would either of those practices benefit training for tournaments when the *pound* ruleset is adopted by most tournament series?

using unpopular stages in case one pops up at some random-*** tournament makes no sense to me. if people are playing mute city or corneria, many will have to adopt new secondaries or play secondaries more to avoid getting rocked on their mains on stages banned at 95% of all tournaments. that does not sound conducive to improvement to me at all.

playing in various situations for the experience also doesn't necessarily lead to improvement. there's a reason the east coast uses the same rulesets and structure and is good and why nubs play with items on high and bad stages. if you're not able to see the huge grey area between fox dittos on FD and stupidity then lol.

that said (i know i sound like an ******* when i debate btw, sorry), while i strongly think the *pound* ruleset should generally be used for our monthlies, i think if we are specifically preparing for a tournament that month that is using a different ruleset, it would be appropriate to modify our ruleset temporarily. playing in random situations might better some players' games that are not as familiar with all game mechanics, but IMO keep that out of MONTHLIES where the purpose is to promote fair play and prepare for big tournaments that use sensible rulesets.

DualCats

Smash Ace
Virtually all tournaments of any consequence are going to have something pretty bloody similar to the *pound* ruleset. The only thing that really seems to change much is whether or not Pokemon Stadium is a neutral stage.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Adopt a new ruleset I say, Corneria and Mute City as neutrals, Icicle Mountain as the only counterpick.

And falco is banned.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
So I totally saw an N64 bong on the Louisiana Thread preceded by a Pokemon bong. If anyone's making a hitlist, it should be with that.

DualCats

Smash Ace
Of all the things that could have happened to the OK monthlies thread within two pages, I'm glad it was this.

DualCats

Smash Ace
The weekend is still probably the most practical option. I just had a fucktarded oversight.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Should this thread be in the southwest tournament subforum? Or because its constantly being updated should it stay here? Or should we just make a new tourney event each month?

It seems like some states have a persistent thread in the tournament subforum, but can you change calendar dates on events with the new system?

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Keep it as one I say, more threads is garbage.

What I really want is for us to get Dandude's account so we can constantly update off of that <_<

Or just get Pablo's account to do so cause I think he has like the third post, right?

DualCats

Smash Ace
Dandude's account looks dead and gone. Someone could probably just ask a mod and win the thread.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
No, cause I don't really want like that many posts purged which is why I asked the mods not to give me the first post.

That's why I also wanted it to belong to either Pablo or Po cause they've got some of the earliest posts on this thread, and I'm sure they'd be glad to share accounts with whoever wants to update.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
not gonna lie.... adding AH3 to this and the facebook page really irks me.... mainly this tho. i feel if we are gonna focus on getting smash up and going here in OK there doesnt need to be any other games added to the monthly since this whole talk was about melee and brawl. just cuz a new game comes out doesnt mean we need to add it to monthlies. not sayin that AH3 is just another game but you get my drift. make a AH3 monthly on its own dont add to something already crowded. like u said urself forest ur wanting to make an amateur bracket on top of the reg one? thats gonna add to the day. idk.... im ranting and i feel like a smashboards monthly for SMASH should be about smash and have other games have their own day for monthly.

DualCats

Smash Ace
I don't see anything wrong with AH3 being included in our monthlies, and, to be honest, I was assuming we'd also be seeing monthlies for MvC. If anything, I think it'd serve to synthesize the Smash and arcade-fighter scenes; especially with the addition of an amateur bracket.

TxZero

Smash Cadet
Soooo there's been a last minute scheduling conflict that affects all of us in WF, and we won't be able to make it out to Norman on the 30th.

Hopefully we'll be able to smash with you guys again in may!

DualCats

Smash Ace
What if we just started monthlies in May and did them closer to the beginning of the month? It seems like a significant portion of our community won't be present for this one.

/obvious bias
favouring Yawara

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Nah, cause the beginning of the month is basically exam week and holding off a tourney to pick me up in favor of other casuals who probably wouldn't show before crunch time is a bad idea for the community.

The important thing is for those that do go to provide a fun environment for everyone so they'd want to come back, and if they see all of us having fun, they might wanna go to a smashfest after the tourney and become regular bros for us to chill with.

All while everyone becomes better, right?

DualCats

Smash Ace
I totally forgot I go to school and have exams. I don't study for that shit, anyway.

Top Bottom