• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Dedede Doubles Discussion

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Or King Dedededede.

Let's discuss using King Dedede effectively in doubles.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
This thread is relevant to my interests.
I will actually be taking place in a small doubles tourney operated by my university's gaming club this week. Naturally I'll be representing with Trip-D, so effective doubles discussion would be helpful.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Um, big stages are good. I don't think I've lost a match with my current partner on Final Destination, while Pokémon Stadium and I find Castle Siege also good choices (even if it's a character you can't walk-off).

And... use bair a lot I guess. Fthrow and bthrow are good in congestion, your partner can combo freely off our dthrow. Dthrow is also seriously good when you have a 2-on-1 situation - I've seen locks involving dthrow into MK dtilt into regrab, and another where Dedede chaingrabs a character offstage into a teammates spike. If you Inhale a heavy feel free to try to nail an enemy with the spit-out :)

Like usual, try to avoid sticking around for long in the middle of things or else you run the risk of building massive damage. You can feed off of your partner to try and score some easier utilt kills, which are more difficult to land in singles. Best moves for team-saves are nair and dair I guess. If you're being team-saved I recommend to cancel Super Dedede Jump when your teammate comes near :)

Best teammate... is MK I guess. Suprising, ain't it.

Coney

Smash Master
don't go to battlefield ever

excluding some team combinations, i honestly think battlefield is his second worst stage in doubles behind brinstar (if metaknight is involved, especially with wario and g&w or something, cruise is obv. terrible). bf is absolutely horrid, nowhere to run and get space, you take up about 1/5 of the stage just by yourself, it sucks. i'd never really ban it, but i'd definitely not pick ddd on it

big stages are fantastic. honestly, just go wherever is biggest, that's usually my line of thinking

his best partners are metaknight (lol), wario, g&w...a strong punisher with a good recovery is best for ddd. snake is bad because while he's a great punisher, ddd can't save him from getting molested offstage. you want someone that can punish out of your dthrow every single time, and hard...and if the player is great, you can even make luigi/lucas/other strong punishers work, so long as you make it clear that you cannot save them off-stage.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
You want a teammate who can actually kill and punish hard. Pit still gets ***** by Metaknight off stage.

More details on my take on doubles after my second job. I'm just home for a second.

Coney

Smash Master
How would you say Pit would be?
good recovery, piss-poor punisher

he's like diddy in that he can do a whole lot of damage, but it only has one real reliable kill move (bair). ddd can kill, sure, but i find it's a whole hell of a lot harder than people give him credit for, and your dthrow is wasted if not used as a utility move for free kills. i honestly don't think ddd is supposed to be the killer on a doubles team, he's just an incredible zoner. you're in jeopardy of taking massive damage simply for being around him, so long as his partner is diligent in responding. ddd/wario is so scary in that regard--wario's mobility lets him follow up virtually every dthrow with a dair at worst and a fart at best.

getting back to the point, pit certainly isn't the worst teammate you could have (that would probably be sheik i guess?), but he's far, far from the best.

imo, of course!

Travis Maker

Smash Rookie
DDD can kill and is a good tanker, despite of your size. I change to wario when I face a team with a MK thats know how to pursuit me and kill me in early %'s.

I personaly like to play with G&W as a partner. This team have some good tricks.

I really wanna discuss a team with DDD and ROB. I saw a vídeo of 9B and another Japanese player, and they do very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aeS4tHFB7s&feature=related

What do you guys think of this team?

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
So, Dedede wants to team with a strong punisher?
So that would leave...
Bowser (Very poor recovery)
Captain Falcon (poor recovery)
Donkey Kong (poor recovery, but I see this being one of our best teammates. SETUPS TO NINE PUNCH.)
Falco (maybe, meh recovery at best, landing FSmash shouldn't be to much trouble)
Fox (meh recovery, but dat USmash. On a stage like Halberd, serious danger)
Game and Watch (bucket braking to live forever, Dedede effectively removes an option from DThrow techchase by being there. Unless they want to either get UTilted or grabbed)
Ganondorf (does so much damage, so much knockback, his projectile trouble is helped by waddle dees, he can use them for lingering DAir and Wizkick hitboxes. Oh, and I guess lingering Warlock Punch if you're ballsy)
Ice Climbers lol, maybe, but probably not. Though having them shut someone down and then you keep away the other person...
Ike (no recovery to speak of, but he kills at like 12%)
King Dedede (I see this as being more silly than anything)
Kirby (some kill power, probably not optimal, but he does recover)
Link Doesn't really have kill power other than DAir, and he doesn't recover ever.
Lucario (definitely not optimal, poor recovery, needs lots of damage before he kills)
Luigi (SHORYUKEN! And a pretty good recovery. Another top contender.)
Marth (poor recovery, but things die when tippered)
Metaknight I see him interfering too much. Also, I hate him.
Ness (REALLY bad recovery, but I'd totally pay money to see setups to PK Flash.)
Pikachu (Thunder, always recovers, that's about it.)
Pokémon Trainer (all three have poor recovery, but they can kill. Stamina might get in the way.)
Snake (trash recovery, but he's Snake. He UTilts you from a mile away.)
Toon Link (doesn't really kill, but he racks up damage really fast and just generally disrupts people, making it easy to get something silly like Dash Attack.)
Wario (lives forever, one of the best recoveries in the game, kills so well)

*stops*
Ugh, this is silly. I see like 80% of the cast working.

Coney

Smash Master
a strong punisher with a good recovery, or a fantastic player of a character with a bad recovery that can make the recovery work, like boss for luigi. because you will not be saving them. i teamed with takeover, a good friend and crewmate, snake main, and we got demolished by a kirby/luigi team. why? they'd harass one of us offstage and the other would be nearly powerless to help.

out of what you put, i think wario, luigi, kirby and g&w are the only ones that fit that criteria above, maybe fox too. and obviously metaknight.

again, these are the BEST partners. sure, you can team with anyone, but those are your best bets. and keep in mind, this is just how i perceive his role in doubles, others may think differently.

btw, the reason mk is the best partner for ddd and especially good for him is because he can tornado ddd out of any terrible spot--he can do the same for all characters, obviously, but if his partner is snake he runs a risk of an explosion. with us, he can suck us up and let us out immediately, taking out our harasser(s) in the process.

ZTD | TECHnology

:dedede::metaknight: is by far my favorite team.

MK just captilizes so well off of everything we do and can easily hit the opponent back to us. And of course he can get us out of the worst situations.

IMO, D3 needs to be the stock tank support role. We have a great deal of tools to support this.

Dthrow is amazing. Set amount of knockback that knocks the opponent in front of you...its so easy to take advantage of.

Swallow: If someone hits you while youve Inhaled an opponent both of you take the damage. But only the swallowed opponent takes the full knockback. DDD takes a set amount of minimal knockback. Snake could hit hit you with a fully Charged f smash at 200% and you wont die.

MORE PEOPLE NEED TO ABUSE THIS.

But yeah add those things to the fact that were fat and were a dream to have as a team.

Just remember the Golden Rule of doubles as DDD:

STAY OUT OF THE CLUSTER****.

Seriously its so easy to eat damage here. Stay outside of the commotion but close by in case your partner needs you.

Just be their support :)

:phone:

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Swallow: If someone hits you while youve Inhaled an opponent both of you take the damage. But only the swallowed opponent takes the full knockback. DDD takes a set amount of minimal knockback. Snake could hit hit you with a fully Charged f smash at 200% and you wont die.
QUOTING FOR EMPHASIS.

I found it out yesterday myself as well, seriously godlike.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
I absolutely LOVE DeDeDe in doubles :D He has so many fantastic setups and compliments so many characters because of it.

Actually, here's a grand finals video set with myself and FAE from last weekend, I get ***** / play like crap in game 1 but there's plenty of good stuff in there too, check out game 3 on Smashville specifically :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90NKa1Qm-WE

DeDeDe + Lucas is actually a really good team...

ZTD | TECHnology

I just got done watching those vids. I didn't even know you still played DDD lol But good stuff getting 2nd with FAE.

And yeah we're built to be the ultimate support system. Anyone who can get into the fray and has some good killing moves can do pretty well with DDD. Hell, I found out Olimar is a solid teammate with DDD. You'd be surprised.

MetalMusicMan

Yeah I play DeDeDe in teams and I still use him in singles sometimes :p Diddy is like, one of the worst possible characters against us in doubles imo because he negates our setups so much with Bananas, but D3 is still really good in teams imo.

ZTD | TECHnology

Since you're here would you mind describing in detail some of the fun tricks you do with a Lucas teammate? Just for the all the other folks here.

MetalMusicMan

Yeah the GF video is probably one of the worst examples because like I said, h8 Diddy :p But it's all I have atm.

But you have lots of D Throw setups:

D3 D-throw > Lucas Up-smash (kills around 50% on lighter characters, maybe 60-70% on heavier ones depending on how long he can charge the smash)

If they aren't CG'able then you can do D3 D-throw > Lucas D-smash and then it generally hits even if they tech, since it's multi-hit and a large hitbox, and it still kills pretty early. It can also lead to:

D3 D-throw > Lucas D-smash 1st hit > D3 Regrab > Lucas D-smash 2nd hit connects > D3 D-Throw > Lucas F-smash or Up-smash

D3 D-throw > Lucas F-smash > D3 Up-tilt

D3 D-throw > Lucas Jab or D-tilt > whatever

D3 D-throw > Lucas footstool > D3 1x jab (lock) > Lucas d-tilt lock > D3 F-smash

You can also do B-throw stuff like

D3 B-throw > Lucas Jump + Up-air (or N-air if they aren't in kill %)

DeDeDe can also throw Waddle Doo's and Lucas can absorb them to heal for ~80%, which is basically half of his stock.

Against MK's Lucas can PK Thunder or PK Freeze while they are tornadoing D3 to equalize the damage, or just punish with N-air or something. PK Freeze hits characters high so D3 can aerial them while they are in the iceblock for lots of damage.

Overall a teaming with a good Lucas is almost like a worse Metaknight with far better kill power and the potential to heal a whole stock. He's actually really self sufficient if he knows how to recover correctly and he doesn't need as much help as you might think.

Top Bottom