• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has anyone looked at effect.pacs and how they worked?

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I really think we should.

I noticed that while it is possible to switch effect.pacs when making characters, the ID needed to use them is the same.

For example, Gray Fox's electricity sparkles are ALWAYS the ID 00CB0002, Regardless of who he is over.
This works, but in the case of Gray Fox, if the AT is present, the effects get unloaded when the AT leaves, leaving only the white trail.

Is there something in memory or effect.pacs that control the file ID so that we can solve this issue?

Side note: We may be able to get Ike clones their own ExtGfx set working seperately from Ike when Ike is present if this goes well.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Here's a list of known Effect.pac IDs used in the moveset files for External GFX IDs.

I didn't check the Pokeball Pokes yet.

Code:
Effect.pac
External GFX IDs

01 = Mario
02 = DK
03 = Link  
04 = Samus
05 = Yoshi
06 = Kirby
07 = Fox
08 = Pikachu
09 = Luigi
0A = Falcon
0B = Ness
0C = Bowser
0D = Peachy
0E = Zelda
0F = --------------- ?Maybe Sheik(Sheik's effect.pac is nulled)?
10 = Popo
11 = --------------- ?Nana?
12 = Marth
13 = ---------------
14 = Falco
15 = Ganondorf
16 = Wario
17 = Meta Knight
18 = Pit
19 = Zamus
1A = Olimar
1B = Lucas
1C = Diddy
1D = Pokemon Trainer
1E = Charizard
1F = Squirtle
20 = Ivysaur
21 = Dedede
22 = Lucario
23 = Ike
24 = Rob
25 = ----------
26 = Jigglypuff
27 = ----------
28 = ----------
29 = ----------
2A = Toon Link
2B = ----------
2C = ----------
2D = Wolf
2E = ----------
2F = Snake
30 = Sonic

------------------------------------------------------------------

C7 = Knuckle Joe
C9 = Mr. Resetti
CB = Gray Fox
CC = Shadow
CE = Devil
D0 = Metroid
D3 = Starfy
D4 = Tingle
D5 = Kat & Ana
D6 = Lyn
D7 = Custom Robo
D8 = Little Mac
D9 = Soldier
DA = Jeff
DC = Barbara
DD = Issac
DE = Saki
DF = Kururi
E0 = Mario FS
E1 = DK FS
E2 = Link FS
E3 = Toon Link FS
E4 = Samus FS
E5 = Yoshi FS
E6 = Kirby FS
E7 = Fox FS(Falco uses this too)
E8 = Pikachu FS?
E9 = Luigi FS?
EA = Falcon FS?
EB = Ness FS
EC = Bowser FS
ED = Peachy FS
EE = Zelda/Sheik FS
EF = Popo/Nana FS
F0 = Marth FS
F1 = ----------------
F2 = Ganondorf FS
F3 = Wario's FS
F4 = Meta Knight's FS
F5 = Pit's FS
F6 = Zamus FS
F7 = Olimar's FS?
F8 = Lucas FS
F9 = Diddy FS
FA = Pokemon Trainer FS
FB = Dedede FS?
FC = Lucario FS
FD = Ike FS
FE = Rob FS???
FF = Jigglypuff FS
100 = Wolf FS?
101 = Snake FS
102 = Sonic FS
As you may have noticed, there are gaps that WOULD be filled by the effect.pacs of the forgotten 7.

I'm willing to bet that the gap between Sonic and the Assist Trophy effects are filled by Stages and SSE bosses.

These were found using PSA, OpenSA2, and Tabuu.

Maybe this can be used?

otheusrex

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone understand how the specific external gfx are referenced under those file id's
? for instance, Zelda's Nair uses graphic e0001 and e000d. The E matches the above list being that it's Zelda, but how exactly are the gfx numbered within this file? I can open up bbox to look at the external gfx for zelda in her fitzelda.pac file, but I can't make heads or tails of matching the gfx ids referenced in psa with how they're laid out in bbox.

If someone could answer this for me it'd be a huge help!

Montimers

Smash Apprentice
Hej, I suppose you're the same person from kc-mm, right? Just found this by accident. Never have been on this board before.

Anyway... pay attention because the answer is a bit more complicated than you could expect. The ids are pretty easy to figure out. But you're looking in the wrong place. Always use the "EFLS" section for that. From there, just count the entries, starting in 1, and go counting until you reach the name of the graphic you want. That will be the id.
Now, you'll notice there is a lot of those reff effects that are not listed there. I think every reff effect in the EFLS list starts with "Ptc" before the name. That means, in this screenshot you posted, only names starting with Ptcs have ids. So if you want to call the effect, let's say "AttackS4Flash1", you can't do that.
To call the effect, you must find the ID of PtcZeldaAttackS4, but this id will call all graphics below until PtcZeldaAttackA. Even if the id of PtcZeldaAttackS4 is, let's say 2, you can't say PtcZeldaAttackA is 3, because you don't know if there are any other entries between them in the EFLS section.

I hope that's not too confusing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom