• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "I Need a Secondary" Guide for the King

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
It's not easy being us. While the King is a High Tier character, he has quite a few slightly disadvantageous matchups and a few solidly bad ones against top tier. Below are the what the BBR considers to be our bad matchups.

- 1 (Slightly Disadvantageous) :diddy: :fox: :pit: :sheilda:

-2 (Solid Disadvantage) :metaknight: :falco: :olimar: :pikachu2: :zerosuitsamus:

-3 (Large Disadvantage) :popo:

Now many of us disagree with a few of these numbers. :metaknight: is considered to be our worst MU by most prominent DDD players with :popo: being the second. Some of us disagree that :pit: and :sheilda: beats us also. Also since the :dedede: ditto is soooo dumb I will be using "Who beats us" as a criteria for selecting a secondary.

Whether this is true is still up for speculation. The point of this thread is simply give you some ideas as to which characters may make your life a little easier by dealing with these problem matchups. Fun pictures and full length explanations will be included. So who should we consider?

Metaknight - "Victory is his destiny"

0: (Even) :diddy: :falco: :pikachu2:
1: (Slight Advantage) :popo: :olimar: :zerosuitsamus: :fox:
2: (Solid Advantage) :pit: :sheilda: :dedede:

Metaknight: The Universal Secondary. He has no bad matchups at all nor is there a bad stage for him. All of his even matchups can be swing dramatically in his favor by picking one of his trademark Counterpick stages: Rainbow Cruise and Brinstar. And of course you can use him against other Metaknights. Just make sure you take the time to REALLY learn the ditto if you plan on using him. MK mains > uneducated MK secondaries after all. But this is probably the safest and overall best choice for a secondary.

It's Metaknight. :awesome:

Falco - "Hands off his bread"

-3: (Large Disadvantage) :pikachu2:
-2: (Solid Disadvantage) :popo:
0: (Even) :metaknight: :diddy: :fox: :pit: :sheilda:
+2: (Solid Advantage) :olimar: :zerosuitsamus: :dedede:

Falco is one the few characters that has a documented even matchup with Metaknight. This alone gives him some of the spotlight when considering a secondary. He also does well against Olimar and Zero Suit Samus being both of their worst matchups. He is a force to be reckoned with on neutral and starter stages period. However on dynamic stages he a little bit of difficulty performing well so keep this in mind. Also he his matchup with Pikachu is worse than ours. Its BAD. Ice Climbers also give him a lot of issues as well. But overall he is a solid choice. He also beats other :dedede:s solidly which is something to consider as the ditto is terrible lol

Pikachu - "Lightning strikes WAY more than twice.."

-2 (Solid Disadvantage) :olimar:
-1 (Slight Disadvantage) :diddy:
0 (Even) :metaknight: :popo: :pit:
+1 (Slight Advantage) :zerosuitsamus: :sheilda:
+2 (Solid Advantage) :dedede:
+3 (Large Advantage) :falco: :fox:

Pikachu makes a very solid for us as secondary as well. He ***** Falco and Fox which is a big plus AND goes even with Metaknight. These are pretty valuable tools to have. However he won't make the Diddy or Olimar MU any better for you. Also keep in mind that learning him at a high level takes a lot time and tech skill. Well worth the effort but he's not exactly a pick up and play character. There's a lot of different ways to play him and he has a lot of options in general. And he's just flat out annoying ;)

Diddy Kong - "Big things come in small packages"

0 (Even) :metaknight: :falco: :olimar: :pit:
+1 (Slight Advantage) :popo: :pikachu2: :dedede: :zerosuitsamus: :fox: :sheilda:

One of the overall safer choices as a DDD secondary. He has no bad MUs with any of these characters. He also dominates on a lot of the stages that can give DDD issues. Static stages like Final Destination or Smashville are Diddy heaven. Picto is another great stage for him. He doesn't do very well on dynamic stages however. Overall, he's a safe bet for us while he doesn't give us any large advantages..he gives us better options. That's what a secondary is supposed to do.

Marth - "REAL men wear tiaras.."

-1 (Slight Disadvantage) :metaknight: :diddy: :dedede:
0 (Even) :falco: :popo:
+1 (Slight Advantage) :olimar: :pikachu2: :zerosuitsamus: :fox: :pit: :sheilda:

Much like Diddy he is a safe choice for a secondary. He only has a few slightly disadvantageous matchups and their nothing he can't overcome..Metaknight included. He is versatile and able to handle himself on most stages pretty well. He goes even with two of our biggest problem matchups and beats all of the other ones. However, we warned that Marth is REALLY hard to master. His learning curve is among one of the highest. It's up to you to decide whether the work is worth it.

Ice Climbers - "Two is always better than one"

-1 (Slight Disadvantage) :metaknight: :diddy: :zerosuitsamus:
0 (Even) :pikachu2:
+1 (Slight Advantage) :olimar: :pit:
+2 (Solid Advantage) :falco: :sheilda:
+3 (Large Advantage) :dedede: :fox:

Feared and loathed by many. Their chaingrab game exceeds our own. Their matchups in general are also pretty solid. They have no matchups that they cannot overcome and they dominate on neutral stages. They beat Falco pretty soundly and destroy Fox. Other Dededes will also have major issues against a competent Ice Climbers player.However they have an enormous learning curve and upkeep to them as well. You will be putting in so much work it'll be like maining them. Also they're terrible on really dynamic stages.

Wario - "Okay who farted??"

-1 (Slight Disadvantage) :metaknight: :dedede:
0 (Even) :falco: :popo: :olimar:
+1 (Slight Advantage) :diddy: :pikachu2: :zerosuitsamus: :fox: :sheilda:
+2 (Solid Advantage) :pit:

A fun and solid secondary for our fun penguin friend. His matchup with Metaknight isn't too bad but prevails where most characters fail in terms of stages. There are very few characters that can hold their own against Metaknight on Cruise or Brinstar and this makes him a very worthy choice for a secondary. He goes even with what is arguably our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th worst matchups. And he handles the other smaller nuisances pretty well. If you want a secondary that does well on problem stages with solid matchups across the board....you should consider this guy.

Snake - "Mission Accomplished"

-1 (Slight Disadvantage) :metaknight: :olimar: :pikachu2: :dedede:
0 (Even) :falco: :fox:
+1 (Slight Advantage) :diddy: :popo: :zerosuitsamus: :pit: :sheilda:

Snake is a common secondary for a lot of characters. What's not to love? KO power, a good camp game, good MUs overall and great on static stages. One of big pluses is that he beats ICs and Diddy. He goes even with Falco and his MU with Metaknight isn't too bad. He doesn't do the greatest job against Olimar or Pikachu either but none of his bad MUs are that bad. He's just a safe choice that doesn't require as much work as some other characters. But keep in mind he is weaker on dynamic stages. Though Rainbow Cruise is actually not that bad for him contrary to popular believe.

Olimar- "Taste the Rainbow"

-2 (Solid Disadvantage) :falco:
-1 (Slight Disadvantage) :metaknight: :popo:
0 (Even) :diddy: :zerosuitsamus: :pit:
+1 (Slight Advantage) :fox: :sheilda:
+2 (Solid Advantage) :pikachu2: :dedede:

Olimar...hated by many lol. He's an interesting character with a defensive and grab centered game much like our own. He also packs quite a punch so that's always a plus. As far as his MUs they are pretty solid. He's one of the few characters who soundly beats Pikachu, and he goes even with Diddy and Zero Suit. His MU with Metaknight isnt too bad either. And he's one of our bad MUs so if you fear the :dedede: ditto this guy is a good option. However he still does lose to Ice Climbers and loses to Falco soundly as well. As far as difficulty learning, he isn't bad as troublesome as most. Many people look for "instant gratification" when looking for secondaries. You won't exactly get that but its a lot easier than learning say ICs or Marth. But with any character, learning them extensively takes some work. And far as stages Olimar can get handicapped by dynamic stages due to his tether recovery. Olimar can still hold his own in combat but he is more likely to get gimped on stages like Frigate and Rainbow Cruise. Olimar is VERY strong on static stages however with his very strong camping and pressure game. Another worthy choice as a secondary but there may be better options for you as far as advantages with MUs.

So I might add in other characters for analysis later but I just wanted to get this started (and hopefully stickied) for those who are interested. Its very tough to do well in tournament with DDD alone with a game clad in Metaknights, Falcos, and other top tier problems. So this thread is here to make your decision just a little easier for you. I won't tell you which character you should secondary because your needs may be different from mine or other DDDs. But hopefully this helps.

Keep reppin' that penguin,

- TC

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
I've been trying to use falco for some time tho, although I haven't used it in tourney yet. But, are those figures for marth really true? I used to main marth myself b4 ddd back in early 08, and since then it usually felt like ddd does better overall than marth though the difference is a bit small. I don't really feel like marth is a good secondary for ddd mains but maybe thats just my opinion. I don't really see marth beating MK as strongly as this thing suggests even though it is -1. I don't really remember the last time a good marth beat a solid mk, which would be the main reason for the secondary character. Same could probally be said about diddy. Although I do notice the slight advantage it has against falco compared to ddd. Does he really have an advantage agaisnt oli,pika,zss,and fox? I would think that maybe even oli is a better 2ndary than marth really...

ZTD | TECHnology

@Dash: I totally agree with you on some aspects. Im just using the BBRs MU chart for these numbers and using them as a guide line. I think some of these characters make great secondaries and other are "meh" but worth considering. I was originally just going to do all of high and top tier lol. I could cover Olimar also for comparison reasons. But he does lose to Falco solidly and loses to ICs. And of course everyone pretty much loses to MK but those are like our top 3 worst MUs right there. Plus the fact that he's not so hot on dynamic stages leaves me to question his validity as a secondary. I mean I could see it working as he does beat Pikachu solidly and goes even with Diddy and such. Its kind of up in the air.

@WingedKnight: Thanks :D

EDIT: Added Olimar since he's worth discussing. I don't see the rest of high tier worth adding but can if people want me to.

:phone:

Laem

Smash Champion
nice thread. cool calculated way of determining a good secondary (not that it shouldnt be mk XD).

Skel'D3

Smash Cadet
Oh mah god'

Nice job TC ! I can't find a secondary, it's going to help me !

Pandu!

Smash Cadet
OP should end after the Metaknight section.

Just kidding! I went ahead and took that route though. Good stuff, TC.

ZTD | TECHnology

Zero Suit Samus - "Is That All?"

-2 (Solid Disadvantage) :falco:
-1 (Slight Disadvantage) :metaknight: :diddy: :pikachu2:
0 (Even) :olimar: :fox: :pit: :sheilda:
+1 (Slight Advantage) :popo:
+2 (Solid Advantage) :dedede:

Zero Suit Samus..perhaps the sleekest and sexiest character in the game. Also one of the hardest to master, requiring a great deal of refinement and precision. Those who learn her may be able to find a suitable secondary. She goes even with a few of our bad MUs..most notably Olimar. She also has one of the better MUs with Metaknight around. She still loses to Diddy and Pikachu however and Falco is her worst MU. On the bright side, she does beat Ice Climbers. Personally, with her high learning curve there may be better choices as a secondary. Especially since she only does an "okay" job of covering our bad MUs. Those who do master her can expect to throw off a lot of opponent and be in possession of a reliable character.

There is your answer.

Top Bottom