• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OSI Presents: Charity Gaming II (Van pickup in Cinci and Cleveland! 32+ Setups!)

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

The Ohio Smash Initiative is a club for Smash players at Ohio State. The first event in OSI's Charity Gaming series took place on April 23rd, 2011, and was centered around Melee. For the second event, OSI will be focusing on running a Brawl & Melee tournament (May 21st, 2011). What makes OSI events special is the organization and planning that most other events cannot offer. The club will provide dedicated pool captions who will be responsible for making sure matches are played quickly and little time is lost. The club has the benefit of over 20 helpers for the event, and will be advertising the event to the entire Ohio State University of 50,000+ students. This means there will be a lot of casual players who will be experiencing tournament Brawl & Melee for the first time - with that in mind make sure to be polite and nice to the plethora of new players at the event.

In addition to having a large staff for the event, tons of casual players, and a great venue, OSI also offers a dedicated stream for the event and has purchased 32 CRT TV's. That means if you bring a wii/Brawl or gamecube/Melee you can get your venue fee waived (if the setup is used for pool play) and there will be 2 TVs per pool as well as several TVs for freeplay available during the entire tournament. In addition, projector screens will be used so people can keep an eye on the bracket as it is updated. Finally, food and parking (only $5 for all day) is conveniently within and right next to the venue.

Under the vision of the President of OSI, Ray Tan, these events are all about giving and less about filling the pot for the winners. Your $5 donation will be used to help children who are suffering from terminal illness. The idea is that the OSI team will visit children in local hospitals and determine what their needs are - many of these children are confined to bed and are unable to move or participate in 'normal' physical activities. This is where gaming comes in, as the OSI crew will use the money generated from your generous donations to buy things like video games consoles, video games, board games, books, movies, and any other media that will make the lives of these children more comfortable. Our hope is over time we will detail exactly what has been done with your donation and what children you have helped, so that everyone who has participated in these events can feel a special connection.

Ohio State Student Union at Ohio State University
1739 N. High Street
Columbus, OH 43210

The event will be held in the "Interfaith Prayer and Reflection Room", room number 3020C on the third floor. The room can hold upwards of 100 people and is 1,656 square feet.

Click here for parking information!

Schedule
May 21st, 2011
11:00AM: Doors open - Registration for Brawl & Melee Singles and Doubles begins
12:30PM: Brawl & Melee Doubles Begins (double elimination bracket)
3:30PM: Brawl & Melee Singles Pools Begins (8 pools per game, top 4 advance)
6:00PM: Melee Double Elimination Singles Bracket Begins
7:00PM: Brawl Double Elimination Singles Bracket Begins
10:00PM: Begin packing up

Food
Food is available in the OSU Student Union and in the surrounding area. The Student Union features the following eating choices

Just outside the Union within 5 minutes walking distance is Chipotle, Jimmy Johns, UDF, and several pizza places.

Money
Venue Fee: $5 (waived if your wii and copy of Brawl is used for the tournament)
Mandatory Charity Donation: $5
Entrance fee for Singles (1v1): $5 per person
Entrance fee for Doubles (2v2): $5 per person

Total entry for both Singles and Doubles (either game) w/o a setup: $20
Total entry for both Singles and Doubles (either game) w/ a setup: $15

Singles Payout
1st: 48%
2nd: 22%
3rd: 14%
4th: 8%
5th: 4%
5th: 4%

Teams Payout
1st: 55%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 15%
General Gameplay Rules
Brawl Rules: We will be using the Unity Ruleset.
Melee Rules: We will be using the same rules that we used for Charity Gaming I.

•These rules are subject to change leading up to the event date. The Tournament Director (Chris Brown) and Tournament Organizer (Ray Tan) reserves the right to remove you from the venue at their discretion for any reason.

Note: The Ohio Smash Initiative and its members, the Ohio State Student Union and its affiliates, Ray Tan, Chris Brown, and any persons helping run the event may not be held liable for any lost, stolen, or damaged goods during this event. Nor will Chris Brown, the venue, its owners, affiliates, employees, members, sponsors, or volunteers be held liable or responsible for any injury or harm that may befall a person during the course of this event. By entering the venue during the posted date you are displaying your agreement with this policy.

Pools and Bracket Information
Information on teams will be posted as the schedule is developed.

Singles
Singles will be run with pools followed by a double elimination bracket.

Pool ties will be broken as follows:
  • If set wins are tied between 2 (two) people, then whoever won the head to head match advances (or gets the higher seed)
  • If set wins are tied between 3 (three) people and it is an A > B > C > A scenario, then whoever has the better game record continues (wins - loses), if two people are tied in their game record then head to head is used between those two players.
  • If all three players are tied in sets and games then 1 stock 2 minute overtime will be played between each of the three players. Best of one. This continues until the tie is broken.
Attendence List

Setups
TV
The Ohio Smash Initiative will be providing 32 TVs for the event.
Wii

C_Ferris32

Smash Journeyman
Brawl is not my thing, but I would attend if there happened to be a few Melee setups for people not playing in the tournament ;)

But yea, seeing as this one is mainly for Brawl, I'm fine with waiting for the next Melee one. If these became regular, cycling between Melee and Brawl, that would be so cool.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
There will be Melee setups. Just like OSI 1 had all three games (64, Melee, Brawl) there will be friendly setups for all three games here. Also, there is a chance we may be running a dual Melee/Brawl tournament. Stay tuned for more details. We can't finalize anything until we determine exactly what rooms we will have and what date the event will be.

Ray T

Smash Cadet
The Ohio State University | Columbus, OH USA
Setups

Mm,

@Aesir, how many setups were you thinking? o_0

We had 26 crt TV's by the first event (OSI Charity Gaming 1). In fact, I frequently saw setups for melee not even being used and just sitting idly.

Now, we are obviously going to continue expanding our inventory but with another 8 pools and 2 TV's per pool, that's plenty of extra setups for friendlies in brawl and 64, in fact, that's more setups than I see at smashfests usually.

Of course, that's assuming we don't acquire any more TV's by the time of the event, which is highly unlikely. Our goal is to be able to accommodate both a brawl and melee tournament at our next event so 32+ TV's is a healthy goal for us, with whatever left over going to 64.

As far as setups for console/game discs go, we had no problem at the first event and the smash community will certainly be willing to help out with the venue fee waived for setups brought policy; I announced the policy pretty much 2 nights before our event last time and we were still able to accommodate every TV set.

Best,

Ray T

Sonjicboom

Smash Apprentice
I will be going to this event for sure. It's nice to know that other schools have Brawl clubs (we have a fledgling one here at Miami University [Ohio, that is]).

:058:

Dees

Smash Journeyman
If it was a split melee and brawl tourney I would be more willing go. But going off Ray's post I'll probably just wait until the next one unless you guys make this one split.

DBSammy

Smash Ace
AZ, since the activity on this thread is pretty low, maybe you could spread the word about this tourney at Kiest's this Saturday.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'll make sure to tell some people about it. Hopefully we will know by Friday as well if we can do a Brawl/Melee event too.

Dees

Smash Journeyman
Awesome, now all I gotta do is see if my parents will let me make the 2 hour drive. Also is there a discount for bringing just a copy of brawl, or do I need to bring a wii as well?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Dees: You'll need to bring a Wii and copy of Brawl.

Also yes, there are discounts for setups and that means with
-Cube/Wii + Melee = $5 (IF IT IS USED! which is likely though)
-Wii + Brawl = $5 (IF IT IS USED! which is likely though)

No need to bring TVs has by the time this events comes around we should hopefully have 32+ TVs owned by the OSI club. The goal will be to have 16 tvs for each game (2 per pool, 8 pools) and some left over tvs for Smash 64/friendlies.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
Mars16 will attend Osi charity tourney

Forgot to mention I will bring My wii and brawl.

Ps:My wii works and it does not cut off but I have to slap it hard to make the disk stay in.... somethings wrong with the eye or something

Mystic83

Smash Rookie
booker and i are definitely coming, and we might even have 4 setups (1 brawl, 3 melee)

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Awesome guys! Keep letting us know if you can bring a setup. We will be purchasing some Gamecubes/Melee disks but Wiis are a lot harder to get so please let us know if you can accommodate a wii.

Also rules for Melee will be posted this Friday. Likely will be the same as the first event.

Ray T

Smash Cadet
Cross-State Chauffeur Service

Hey all,

I would like to make the announcement that we will be implementing a chauffeur service for this event for the state of Ohio.

We have a 12 person van and an amazing, dedicated driver who is willing to (on Friday, May 20th) drive from Columbus to Cleveland, pick up 12 smashers, drive back to Cbus, house them and then drive down to Cinci in the same day and bring 12 Cinci smashers back to Cbus and house them.

He will also provide rides back, obviously.

He will expect to be compensated for gas money but after running the math, it should turn out to be a good deal. We had some people at our last tournament Greyhound bus to Cbus from Cleveland- $40 for the round trip. After our calculations, we found that gas money is going to be estimated as around $16 for the round trip!

Details still need to be worked out, such as which local smashers would be willing to house these players from Cleveland and Cinci, and what designated pickup points and times should be.

Any interest, suggestions, or offers to house are welcome.

We hope this will allow some players that couldn't make the trip otherwise to be able to attend our tournament. We also hope to accommodate both brawl and melee players. There is also a television set mounted in the driver's seat side wall of the van so players can play some smash and socialize on the way there; a small amenity but one that will probably be appreciated :)

If there is enough interest, we can entertain the possibility of even a southern Michigan pickup or Kentucky or another state closer to Cincinnati.

Best,

Ray

Blue Rogue

Smash Ace
NNID
ValiantVyse
3DS FC
4527-9345-8740
Links don't forget about your partner
Is there doubles? I see a payout but not a price n stuff...
I can bring a melee setup or brawl, if I feel like unlocking stuff

Ray T

Smash Cadet
Price Structures

Hey all,

There will be doubles, along with singles for both melee and brawl. Doubles will come before singles (we ran doubles after singles at our last tournament b/c we weren't sure of time constraints) and we will follow the same pricing structure as our last tournament.

$5 Venue fee to help us with administrative costs and the venue.

$10 Tournament entry fee per team ($5 per person) with $5 from every team entry going to our charity.

$10 Entry fee for singles per person with $5 from each single entry going to our charity.

We will hopefully have an itinerary for the event up by the end of the week, as well as more details for the event.

AZ, will you be available to come to our meeting tomorrow? We are up to 30 some TV's now I believe and will need to accommodate each one with a setup, as well as coordinate the chauffeur service for picking up people from around the state. Also, do you know how much Michigan interest there may be for our tournament and if it would be worth it to include a southern Michigan pickup/drop off point?

Finally, we are still actively looking for local Columbus smashers that would be willing to house any smashers coming in from far distances via our chauffeur service so please let us know if you would be willing or able.

Thanks,

Ray T

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I'm interested in coming, but it would kind of be late. If I want to spectate is it the same price? ($5 for entry/playing friendlies and stuff?)

:phone:

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Ray: I'll be at the meeting tonight. Also as of right now no one has voiced the need for the bus service. Most people on Smashboards do rides/carpools themselves. Shrug.

I'll start keeping a list of who says they can bring a setup for Melee/Brawl. I'll also update the schedule after our meeting tonight (so schedule + Melee rules will be up tonight).

Mystic83

Smash Rookie
What happens at these meetings? Can anyone attend? I'm not doing anything and I'd like to help out somehow.

Finally, we are still actively looking for local Columbus smashers that would be willing to house any smashers coming in from far distances via our chauffeur service so please let us know if you would be willing or able.
My place is sort of small, but if some people don't mind sleeping on the floor, it might be better than nothing. I'm like 3 blocks from the union. It probably wouldn't be people's first choice, but I may as well throw it out there.

QUIVO

Smash Master
I may or may not go to this, but everyone should go. It's for a good cause + the last one was actually surprisingly fun considering I don't know that many Melee players.

Top Bottom