• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-up Discussion 7 - Yoshi

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Yoshi
Advantage/Disadvantage: 0

Such a long tongue...
Yoshi has a number of tools and gimmicks to abuse.
What advantages do we have?

We need the following information:​

-STAGES-
"Best" starters for Oli:
"Worst" starters for Oli:
"Best" counterpicks for Oli:
"Worst" counterpicks for Oli:

Notable "move beats move" situations:

Opponent's primary tools:
How we can deal with opponent's primary tools:

Anything else:
(This section includes gimmicks, minor notes, and anything else that isn't covered)

Don't restrict conversation to just these points.
These are just guidelines to help discussion.
Discuss!

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I actually have a bit of experience with this one. :D
I'll post in a bit.

EDIT: And by that, I mean RIGHT NOW!!!

- Pivot grab is our main tool. It shuts down soooooooooo many of his options.
If you lose, that probably means that you didn't pivot grab enough.

- Fsmash is really good for when he's tossing eggs from below you (like if he's planking on a ledge, the platform on the right side of Frigate, etc.).
Fsmash to pivot grab is also good for limiting his options on the ledge. He can do something with an effect similar to our Instant Return, but apparently it's too hard to actually use consistently anyway.

- He can't CG us. Yay. I THINK he has something out of grab release on us, though.

- His main tools are going to be Grab/Running Grab, Neutral B (Egg Lay), and Nair.
Nair generally beats out our Usmash. The pattern is often Nair to Jab to Running Grab / Pivot Grab.
Dash attack can be used to put us offstage and Uair is one of his main killing moves.
He doesn't have to do an Uair immediately after using a jump, he can follow our float downward and rush up with his second jump for an Uair kill between our whistles.

- Don't stay on the ledge too long. His Dtilt sends us at a REALLY bad angle and can hit us on the ledge.
Fsmash and Dsmash can also hit us on the ledge.

- He has a useful gimmick, Egg lay to Dsmash.
Egg lay makes all of our pikmin vulnerable to attack for some reason and Dsmash does a good job of killing or scattering them.

- Camp from the ground and use Fsmash/Pikmin toss, depending on the angle and height.

- Stages-
Counterpick - FD or Halberd, depending on where he bans.
Starters - Strike YI and SV right-off. I try to strike for FD, Halberd, BF, or Lylat.
Ban - I ban Frigate, just because it feels like an uphill battle.
Don't ban Brinstar. Apparently, they don't like going there.

SPECIAL NOTE ABOUT RC -
Yoshi seems to get kills easily on the transition from "Pendulum" to "Sidescrolling part" and on the falling part.
Use extra caution there.

I'm forgetting stuff, I'll post more as I remember it.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I won't allow other Olimar mains to get familiar with the match-up! It's already annoying enough! D:

But seriously, if you would like my (or the Yoshi boards) help feel free to ask.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Oh, I plan on it Polt.
I post a request in every character board that I have MU discussions for. :D

Felt like that was poorly-phrased...

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I don't have enough info to type up A Complete summary, but i'll list a few things.
Egglay is deadly, and probably more then half the time we'll be able to kill either 2-4 or all of your pikmin with DSmash alone.
DSmash/Tilt seem to mess with you guys pretty badly.
Most stages with slopes gives us the ability to DownB them and snap onto the Ledge if we Fastfall when we slide off the platform/Ledge, so be wary of that if you're off stage.
UAir/Tilt is another good move in this match Up when you're in the air or when we're being constantly attacked by Pikmin
And I guess last thing I know, Pivot grab ***** Olimar as well.

Greward

Smash Lord
i play yoshi as my low tier char and i rarely use the shield, same can be said of yoshi mains probly, and we all know it lol
nair/egg lay / falling bair will be most of his aerial approaches, and they can be really difficult to punish if he times it right with double jump. punishing yoshi when he's falling onstage is easy and i get most of my damage then. jab and dsmash will beat us in close range, so staying with shield it's pretty safe cause yoshi's grab is slow enough for us to react for it in close range.
we outcamp him
jab to grab usually works, even though they dont have any air release options it still leaves us in a bad position.
egg lay is dangerous not only because of he killing our pikmins, he can wait us to release from it and follow up with uair (it's not a true combo though but yoshis in europe like to follow up egg lay with another one or uair, maybe im not explaining it really well lol)
his killing options are meh but he can gimp us, whistle isnt as safe as it usually is because he can egg lay us out of it
i wouldn't pick stages without platforms because landing can become difficult as hell with his pivot grab
I'd go Lylat in this matchup, but actually i go Lylat in every matchup

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Go sheik, throw lots of needles, GGs

oh wait, for olimar?

UM...don't rely on fsmash or grab much, this MU is mostly olimar punishing yoshi for being in the air and then throwing purple pikmin

Dnyce

Smash Master

Egglay is deadly, and probably more then half the time we'll be able to kill either 2-4 or all of your pikmin with DSmash alone.
I'm glad this dogma still believed amongst Yoshi mains - I can use any advantage I can get :awesome:
Go sheik, throw lots of needles, GGs

oh wait, for olimar?

UM...don't rely on fsmash or grab much, this MU is mostly olimar punishing yoshi for being in the air and then throwing purple pikmin
Interesting.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Yoshi has no OOS options. Something to keep in mind while the match is going on.
We actually have 2 OoS Options.
Item Toss (which is only useful for characters that spawn items like Snake Diddy ZSS etc.)
And we can platform drop Out of Sheild despite it being difficult for us.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I'm glad this dogma still believed amongst Yoshi mains - I can use any advantage I can get :awesome:
Exactly what part of this do you believe to be untrue, Fino?

This completely contradicts my understanding of Yoshi.
Curious, what Yoshi players have you been playing against (offline) lately?
I'm not saying you're wrong or anything. Different players have different play-styles and all that jazz, so I'm trying to understand the methods your Yoshi players employ and your reactions to them.

Dnyce

Smash Master
The part where egglay to killing Pikmin is effective. Though, I guess it's unfortunate that it's been modified from "kills all of his Pikmin" to "kills 2-4"

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
If they try to camp us with eggs can't we just dash back and forth and dodge them all?
They have to predict where we will stay or go to so they can hit us so if you are camping would it be better to use different angles while camping?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I actually have a bit of experience with this one. :D
I'll post in a bit.

EDIT: And by that, I mean RIGHT NOW!!!

- Pivot grab is our main tool. It shuts down soooooooooo many of his options.
If you lose, that probably means that you didn't pivot grab enough.
It really doesn't, since it's a low grab box. And our dash grab actually sends us over it, IIRC.
- Fsmash is really good for when he's tossing eggs from below you (like if he's planking on a ledge, the platform on the right side of Frigate, etc.).
Fsmash to pivot grab is also good for limiting his options on the ledge. He can do something with an effect similar to our Instant Return, but apparently it's too hard to actually use consistently anyway.
Olimar has some legit edge pressure. We do, however, have good options to get around it. There's ledge DR, which is basically a waveland onto the stage. There's also the use of our Heavy Armor. And, one of our greatest boons in this MU, is our air speed. We can outrun you, so getting off the ledge isn't too difficult.

- He can't CG us. Yay. I THINK he has something out of grab release on us, though.
I believe it's GR > Uair on the ledge.

- His main tools are going to be Grab/Running Grab, Neutral B (Egg Lay), and Nair.
Nair generally beats out our Usmash. The pattern is often Nair to Jab to Running Grab / Pivot Grab.
Dash attack can be used to put us offstage and Uair is one of his main killing moves.
He doesn't have to do an Uair immediately after using a jump, he can follow our float downward and rush up with his second jump for an Uair kill between our whistles.
Actually, my main tool in this MU is Bair. It fans pikmin toss, and it deals with Pikmin attacks in general very well. It's also a perfect approach in this MU, as it sets up for an utilt/usmash perfectly, which leads to juggling, which is our incredibly strong advantage in this MU.

Jab > Grab is really a wifi tactic and isn't used too frequently by more experienced Yoshis. Generally a mix up.

Dash attack is good for breaking walls and punishing landings, but in this MU, grab is much better to use in nearly all situations.

We're VERY good at following Olimar through the air and punishing. Whistling can be annoying, though.

- Don't stay on the ledge too long. His Dtilt sends us at a REALLY bad angle and can hit us on the ledge.
Fsmash and Dsmash can also hit us on the ledge.
I'd like to add that Yoshi limits Olimar severely when he's on the ledge. It's a really really awful spot for Olimar in this MU (and it probably is in general, too.)

Egg lay makes all of our pikmin vulnerable to attack for some reason and Dsmash does a good job of killing or scattering them.
I prefer egg lay to dtilt. Or to actually ignore the pikmin in general, although dtilting is a good idea. If we Dsmash, you can escape, and we lose the juggle and all our momentum. Since juggling Olimar and keeping him from landing is VERY important, I feel like it's better to not commit to pikmin very much.

- Camp from the ground and use Fsmash/Pikmin toss, depending on the angle and height.
Just be careful; Yoshi's got a very good rush down game in this MU. He has NO fear of pikmin toss at all.

- Stages-
Starters - Strike YI and SV right-off. I try to strike for FD, Halberd, BF, or Lylat.
FD is NOT your friend, at all. Good luck landing without platforms to help you mix it up. Halberd is vastly superior as it gives you some better ledge options, although it gives us some good ones too. BF would probably be your best starter.

Yoshis don't hate Brinstar. We hate certain characters there (MK, Wario, GnW). Yoshi's a very flexible character and doesn't have problems with stages at all. The problems stem from said characters' ridiculousness on the stages. I would actually consider CPing Brinstar/Rainbow/whatever if pocket MK didn't exist.
[/QUOTE]

NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I won't allow other Olimar mains to get familiar with the match-up! It's already annoying enough! D:

But seriously, if you would like my (or the Yoshi boards) help feel free to ask.

Chill, Olimar's not that bad.

Yoshi has no OOS options. Something to keep in mind while the match is going on.
Yoshi shouldn't really be shielding much in this MU anyways. If he does, he has a good spotdodge and a very good roll away on shield hit.

punishing yoshi when he's falling onstage is easy and i get most of my damage then. jab and dsmash will beat us in close range, so staying with shield it's pretty safe cause yoshi's grab is slow enough for us to react for it in close range.
Yoshi has very good landing mixups. Egg Lay (B reversed, wavebounced, etc.) gives him MASSIVE momentum changes and the move itself is VERY safe and VERY good for defending a landing. It's not that easy to punish him when landing, especially considering his massive air speed.
egg lay is dangerous not only because of he killing our pikmins, he can wait us to release from it and follow up with uair (it's not a true combo though but yoshis in europe like to follow up egg lay with another one or uair, maybe im not explaining it really well lol)
Characters have brief moments of invincibility after the pop out from the egg, making them safe to just swing at us. People just panic when they get Egg Layed. It's hard to get the Uair kill of Egg Lay.

If they try to camp us with eggs can't we just dash back and forth and dodge them all?
They have to predict where we will stay or go to so they can hit us so if you are camping would it be better to use different angles while camping?
Yeah, Olimar is short, so egg toss can be hard to land on him.

So, here's my take on the MU.

Olimar's gonna camp, and that's all good and swell. Yoshi has massive aerial mobility and speed and can get into Olimar's zone well. Once Yoshi penetrates the zone, the juggle begins, and Olimar struggles to land. Grabs in general **** your landings, and we can gradually grab you and throw you and knock you around until you're pushed to the ledge, further limiting your options. Then we can go for the gimp. Yoshi's mobility and ability to punish Olimar's landings are HUGE in this MU.

Yoshi cannot outright kill Olimar easily. Most of our kills are going to come through gimps or juggle set ups. Our kill range reaches from very low percent gimps to really high percents where we just can't manage to finish you off. Nair is a good fallback kill move, as is Dash Attack, if the need arises. Uair/Usmash are always good for killing if the opportunity arises.

And God help you if we get a stock lead. I will NEVER approach and I will run that timer forever. Olimar has a really hard time killing a Yoshi hell bent on running away. I don't care about how much damage your pikmin tosses will rack up on me. I'll just run that timer and take potshots if the opportunity arises.

The matchup basically comes down to you keeping us out of your zone. If you fail, you get *****. Since Yoshi's good at getting into Olimar's zone, this MU shouldn't be bad for him. I'd argue +1, no less than 0.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
To be quite honest, I don't have much experience here, but from what I have played it seems pretty even to me.

My opinion is exactly what Delta said. I would write something up, but i already have several other projects and I doubt I'd be able to say it any better than him.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
- Stages-
I will forever ban Brinstar as long as MetaKnight Exists. thats just me. If you don't have a pocket MK i assure you i wouldn't mind playing you here.

Also for your own good don't take us to FD. Halberd and BF are much better for you.

SPECIAL NOTE ABOUT RC -
Yoshi seems to get kills easily on the transition from "Pendulum" to "Sidescrolling part" and on the falling part.
Use extra caution there.
Im also pretty sure we have a free upair on you on RC. Never tested it. Might not be there.

I dont really like this matchup imo but its not all that bad. It'll probably be easier for you if you, you know, learned it. I just personally have to change up my playstyle a little bit too much for my tastes.

Noooooooooooooooooooo

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

My face hurts from how swiftly and firmly it connected with my palm. 2008 is behind us Gentlemen. It doesn't work any more. Its better to just let the Egglay happen and punish what ever he tries to do on landing.

I believe it's GR > Uair on the ledge.
F-air

And God help you if we get a stock lead. I will NEVER approach and I will run that timer forever. Olimar has a really hard time killing a Yoshi hell bent on running away. I don't care about how much damage your pikmin tosses will rack up on me. I'll just run that timer and take potshots if the opportunity arises.
Edit:Delta with the snipe QFT

Dnyce

Smash Master
My face hurts from how swiftly and firmly it connected with my palm. 2008 is behind us Gentlemen. It doesn't work any more. Its better to just let the Egglay happen and punish what ever he tries to do on landing.
A Yoshi main... capable of rational thought? O_O

My name is Fino. I would be delighted to have a conversation with you on aim or skype sometime about the match-up :)

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Why is everyone harping on that statement I made? Annoying =/= hard. I find Olimar more annoying than Lucario, for crying out loud.

Also, I don't see what's wrong with Egg Lay -> d-smash (or d-tilt). I makes Yoshi's other moves less stale and gets rid of his Pikmin, plus it's fast enough to still follow up on Olimar in the air since he's so floaty.

I'll post more later.

Dnyce

Smash Master

Also, I don't see what's wrong with Egg Lay -> d-smash (or d-tilt). It makes Yoshi's other moves less stale and gets rid of his Pikmin, plus it's fast enough to still follow up on Olimar in the air since he's so floaty.
And now the only other yoshi I'll consider listening to has entered :awesome:

I remember when we played in orlando you did egglay dtilt and killed 1 pikmin when I had a full line. I never believed the strategy to be effective against Olimar and afterward had decided... if anyone would show me how Yoshi would cap on it, it would be Polt, lol. But I failed to see how killing 1 pikmin (which is generally all that I see die) was the end all strategy against Olimar, or a gimmick that tipped the match-up in his favor (there is plenty of other BS Yoshi has, lol).

However, the way you frame is different than how I've heard it from any other Yoshi. Deal damage, refresh move, get Olimar in the air. When put like this, its effectiveness/applicability is a lot more reasonable... as opposed to "do this because you can kill all of Olimar's Pikmin" which is an obvious lie. haha

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
One quick thing I do know, yoshi can utilt and all the pikmin latched onto him will die or fall off.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
It's not necessarily a lie. An Egg Lay -> d-smash can kill any number of Pikmin (yes, that includes all 6) or none at all. Sometimes it doesn't even desynch the Pikmin (I have no idea what causes this, though).

You probably haven't played against enough Yoshis to experience it, but I've seen all kinds of cases with Egg Lay -> d-smash because I've played against Olimar a ton of times.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
One quick thing I do know, yoshi can utilt and all the pikmin latched onto him will die or fall off.
Also, forgot to mention that a quick dtilt right afterwards will kill all the surviving pikmin.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Lmao. Can't let people discuss matchups when I'm being called on from my work to correct information.

Olimar has enough tools to combat us as much as we have on him. We prolly have slightly less stuff on him due to the difficulty of actually getting in and dealing damage without being grabbed and being throw to restart all over. An Olimar waiting for our reactions instead of preemptively throwing Pikmin out makes Yoshi think about twice as hard to get in safely, not only that, but some timed moves (like Usmash) CAN beat Yoshi's moves (I think even Nair), but it's not too reliable I believe.

I've never believed "do this cause it kills Pikmin" to be effective as a tactic when it places Olimar in one of the places where we can handle him. Egglay allows us to keep stage control on Olimar since he has a little hard time landing safely when whistle is read, and adding this to ledge pressure, we're going to have a crucial time making sure we keep stage control since it'll depict the pace of the match.

Just old **** I know from playing Olimars back like in late '09/ early '10.

Dnyce

Smash Master
It's not necessarily a lie. An Egg Lay -> d-smash can kill any number of Pikmin (yes, that includes all 6) or none at all. Sometimes it doesn't even desynch the Pikmin (I have no idea what causes this, though).

Idk, I guess I'm just fortunate to instinctively input what is needed to not cause them to desync (or desync little if at all). I've played plenty of Yoshi on lolwifi, there's a couple players nearby who also use him.

Don't get me wrong... I've seen it kill all 6 before, I just largely assumed that those Olimars were bad because rarely have I had more than 2 get killed.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
However, the way you frame is different than how I've heard it from any other Yoshi. Deal damage, refresh move, get Olimar in the air. When put like this, its effectiveness/applicability is a lot more reasonable... as opposed to "do this because you can kill all of Olimar's Pikmin" which is an obvious lie. haha
I prefer egg lay to dtilt. Or to actually ignore the pikmin in general, although dtilting is a good idea. If we Dsmash, you can escape, and we lose the juggle and all our momentum. Since juggling Olimar and keeping him from landing is VERY important, I feel like it's better to not commit to pikmin very much.
Hm, reading is fun.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Its better to just let the Egglay happen and punish what ever he tries to do on landing.
Exactly how long does it take to do a Dsmash after Egg lay?
He pops up after breaking out anyway, so you should still have time to do both, no?

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Yep. One random friendly at 12 A.M. months before I knew anything about the match-up.

Lose to random Olimars in-tournament more. :3

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I'm sorry, Polt. I was just so filled with rage at the sight of that accursed match.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
It's not like I never beat Yoshis or anything, I just never record matches unless something hilarious or cool happens.
Usually my opponent saves them, so most videos I have on youtube are of me losing. ^^;

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Okay, okay, enough of this. Sorry for getting this off-track.

Do people agree that Frigate would be our best ban?

I'm willing to admit that I'm biased with FD. I don't have a whole lot of experience with BF against Yoshi, so it may very well be better for us.

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
Can you explain how frigate benefits us, greward?

:phone:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
It's not like I never beat Yoshis or anything.
Nothing Bad towards you, But that video with Me vs You is a terrible example.
I literally am not good at this game yet, I just play use Yoshi's techs which throw people off guard cause they mostly watch only Polt play with Yoshi. But again, i'm just terrible and I haven't improved since Laurel's Ragequit.
Probably as i'm typing this out at this very moment, The Yoshi's on skype are probably thrashing me about how stupid I played in that match of ours.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
You've admitted that you don't know a whole lot about the match-up.
There's no shame in losing:

- A match-up you don't know that well
- Against an Olimar that loves RC
- Against an Olimar that plays against a top Yoshi that loves RC

Top Bottom