• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-up Discussion 8 - Donkey Kong

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Donkey Kong
Advantage/Disadvantage: +2

Certainly a unique match-up; strings rule the day.
A bit of controversy surrounded this match-up recently.
Which side REALLY has the advantage?

We need the following information:​

-STAGES-
"Best" starters for Oli:
"Worst" starters for Oli:
"Best" counterpicks for Oli:
"Worst" counterpicks for Oli:

Notable "move beats move" situations:

Opponent's primary tools:
How we can deal with opponent's primary tools:

Anything else:
(This section includes gimmicks, minor notes, and anything else that isn't covered)

Don't restrict conversation to just these points.
These are just guidelines to help discussion.
Discuss!

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Okay, I REALLY don't want this to be purely about DK's planking.
It's fine to discuss it, but be sure to discuss other aspects of the match-up as well.

I heard something about Olimar's Yellow Fsmash beating his planking. Any truth to this?
What does beat his planking?

EDIT - Okay, I don't know a WHOLE lot about this match-up.

- Sold and Hilt have both told me that the match-up is about strings.
DK can 1-string us to death, we can 2-string him, but it's easier to get our strings off.

- There was a write-up in the Impact Site:
dabuz said:
BASICS

General tactics Olimar should employ:

Side B and run away -
This will be your most used tactic and DK is possibly one of the worst characters at stopping this. He is large and all his moves to get off Pikmin are pretty laggy.
His best is Bair, which is one of DK's staple damage racking moves. This, for the most part, can be safely short hopped at any range until you are close enough to get hit by DK's Ftilt.

Abuse his laggy moves -
Most of D.K.'s moves are either laggy, predictable, or both.
On the ground, his smashes are all laggy and trying to bait them and then shield are your best best. Spotdodging against them is very very unreliable IMO (especially if any pikmin are latched to DK) and rolling when he is on the ground ruins your chance to punish.
Pivot grabbing is also a relatively safe punish.

LURE OUT THE PUNCH -
When he has a charged Side-B, either try to grab him during the start-up when he uses it or just get ready to shield it.
It has super armor so don't try to beat it out.
Spotdodge is also reliable if you have a good followup ready.

Out range the down tilt -
TBH, D.K.'s down tilt is pretty annoying. You can't shieldgrab it, can't spotdodge it, rolling behind him only works if he doesn't react fast or predict (even though rolling away is generally unpunishable if you start during his Dtilt)
I think the only real way to punish it is Side-B aimed for his head or I THINK Fsmash can clash, including Fsmash out-of-shield.

O.K., now that that is covered, next step,

How to rack up the damage and kill quickly

Using the strategies listed in the below section, you should at some point have D.K. in the air, either because you got him there with a grab or smash, or because he jumped because he wants to Bair or Charge punch you

If you got him in the air:
This is the time to get purely aggressive and take advantage of his size and lack of safe ways to get grounded.
D.K. has a lot of trouble landing, even on platforms,

There are 3 different places he can land:

The stage at the same level as you:
Pivot grabbing his landing from his front side is by far you best option. All he can possibly have is D.K. punch, which has enough startup time to react.
When he is about an inch from the ground is when you should start the pivot grab. If done right, D.K. will get grabbed so just throw him above you,
You can also Fsmash his landing, particularly useful if he is landing with his back facing you and you expect a Bair. Time it when he is about an inch above the ground so your Fsmash hits him near the end of the move before his Bair can reach you. This should also send him at about a weak 40 degree angle.
If you manage to get right below him a little before he lands, use either an upsmash (charge or uncharged depending on when you think he will airdodge).
SIDE NOTE: Air dodge is D.K.'s only option when he is directly above you because Dair and Nair both suck against Oli.
You can also upair/Nair to get him back above you for repeating set up,
Dsmash can be a slightly risky way to kill him relatively early if you can predict and punish his landing, or you can just pivot grab and throw back up

D.K. trying to land on a platform:
Just upair/ nair. You can get to the platform just as he does.
EVEN IF he shields the upair by a few seconds, you can do another upair to shield stab him and send him back up if the initial upair didn't hit him in time.
If he gets to the platform by airdodging through your upair, just nair. Either he couldn't react fast enough and you bring him back up while having platform control or he shields it but can't punish without amazing prediction on his part.

D.K. Landing on the edge:
To be frank, if D.K. is attempting to land on the edge the only things you can do are:
- Up-B him before he gets too low
- Fsmash if he gets to close to the edge without using his up-b,
- Side B with purple if he is far away or
- Go for the very risky Up-B edgehog from well below the edge,
His Up-B beats every move we have in the air and ground if both characters are at the same height.

DK using shorthop Bairs:
This is very very common for DK to do.
Run under him a little and do a shorthop side b (CloverLeaf's note: Is this supposed to be Fair or Purple SideB?) or an upsmash and if done right it will always hit him out of it and above you,
If cornered, running off the edge and upairing isn't bad to punish his landing lag.
Pivot grab can also punish it if you start it up just before he touches the ground after/ during the Bair.

Kill time:
If you haven't gotten a kill yet and he is about 150% or more, save your backthrows and upthrows for both blue and purple (wrong DI from a throw, even if not the best throw, ex: blue for upthrow will kill him normally at 160%+).
Shorthop Fairs instead of shorthop side-B is also a relatively good kill move if not used much and he is coming down from the air.
Mixed use of grab, Fair, Dsmash, and Usmash can all kill him with decent predictions.

DK gets olimar in the air:
Somehow DK got close enough to Olimar to get him in the air or Olimar mistimed a jump. Well now, landing for Olimar is surprisingly simple compared to DK. Keep in mind Olimar's small size, super armor, Nair and Dair when landing.
DK can keep up with you in the air.
Landing on a platform directly above DK is normally safe because you can shield whatever he throws out you once you get on the platform with ease.

Landing on the edge is relatively easy as well. DK only has Bair and Charge punish to reliably hit you (Fair is a situational joke against Olimar), so just predict and fast-fall, up-b, whistle, or jump again, but never try to beat out those moves unless you are close and confident,

Landing on the ground is easy as well, just try to get him below. You can confuse him with what way you are gonna land, DK can only cover 2 sides at once with Dsmash, which can be whistled on reaction, or up-B which, due to its lag, will let you get grounded even if hit.
Just mix up Nair->smash combos, Fair's/Bair, Dair, whistle bouncing to land next to/ on him so you can safely get on the ground, as long as you aren't predictable with landing you can Fsmash him before he can do anything if he attacked the wrong side

Other notes I forgot to include:

-Shield tilted up can take an entire grounded up-b which can beat out all our other moves except for well spaced pivot grabs

- Short hop pivot charge punish is damaging and hard to react to if not expected, so always be wary for that.

- Save upsmash/ throws for kills. D.K. can kill Oli at about 90%. If lucky, we kill him at about 130-150%.

- DK's grab is bad, but good enough to punish Olimars that are right next to him.
I cleaned it up a bit to make it easier to read, but I missed a lot.
How much of this is still true?

Greward

Smash Lord
huh this isnt an easy matchup as it is usually seen. dunno what to say. get out of his grabs soon or he'll carry us to offstage to, it's pretty weirdo lol
ban yoshis and brinstar. ok u cant ban 2 stages, but i'd still ban yoshis. im not sure if he has got those invencibility frames on brinstar too, but he cant really get out of the ledge unless he have those invencibility frames.
he's so punishable when he's up in the air... and we outcamp him hard. his foot stops our purple toss though
DK can kill us at really low % if we arent careful
yellow pikmin fsmash stops his upB, im not sure about other colours.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Purple pikmin toss stun's DK out of his upB shenanigans on yoshi's for a free fair. That being said, I honestly do not have any clue as to why anyone would john about it.

Fsmash hits dk out of his plank. Rich did it a few times in that vid, but got super frustrated and decided that making a scene would be a better idea than winning :p

I prefer to ban brinstar... super powerful, long lasting, ranged hitboxes scare the **** out of me on that stage when I'm recovering.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I personally can't stand this match up. I think it's 65-35 for oli

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
I live in Olimar country, I personally think it's 55:45 Oli's.

Olimar juggling DK is not as big of a deal as DK juggling Olimar. We have the very simple option of going to the ledge, Olimar isn't going to threaten us offstage except with a up-b maybe, but that's so telegraphed. When we get hit up, we'll probably take 40% from your stupid u-air. Our range and speed let us poke at Olimar while he's landing without having to worry about the n-air, while Olimar's weight and fallspeed makes it take forever to get down and any hit puts him right back up. Even if you momentarily land vs DK, you now have DK close to you while you don't have anything set-up and he has the option to use down-b, go for grab, d-tilt, jab, whatever.

About approaching,

(credit goes to Ook!)
This is a necessary pre-req to start approaching, lol. We have the tools to approach Olimar very well, with up-b, down-b, f/d-tilt. It's still hard and we'll fail more than not. Without having to worry about purple toss, it's a lot easier to just throw out down-b's or up-bs timing the super armor closer to impact. Oh, I should mention that DK should never ever try to approach from the air. Our grounded options can challenge him somewhat safely, b-air will just get you shieldgrabbed easily.

For killing, Olimar has a much easier time lol. Olimar will get kills when we try to approach him with up-b/run up and shield/are in the air for some reason and we fail. Down-b is a relatively safe way to avoid kills, although red f-air can catch you with bad DI. Remember that DK doesn't have to hold down when he holds his down-b, so hold up after you start it. DK will get kills by hitting Olimar out of grab armor with d/f-smash or punch, reading a bad landing, or gimping. DK's actually pretty good at gimping if the Olimar doesn't get hit really high initially. Up-b is extremely powerful at keeping him offstage and eating his double jump.

Our counterpicks are ugly vs. Olimar. If I was an Olimar in this match-up, I would first and foremost ban Brinstar. The acid gives us oppurtunitys to juggle/chase you without having to go through the pain of apporaching, the curves make your grabs awkward, and the blastzones will spell death at something stupid like 60. And it's too small for you all to run away and go for pivot grabs all the time. We have a lot of tricks there too.

Other than Brinstar, Yoshi's and Pokemon Stadium 2 are very strong stages for us. Yoshi's for the usual reasons. PS2 is just hilarious vs. Olimar. DK is only like pretty good on it, we don't mind any of the transformations, but Olimar is just hilariously bad on all but the ground/normal transformation. And we're still better on the ground phase than you all are.

As DK, I'll be banning FD/Halberd. Probably FD, I personally can't stand not having platforms, and at the very least, Halberd gives us interesting ledge options, earlier d-smash kills, and some slanted slopes to work with.

We have the potential to ruin Olimar very quickly, it's just that we don't get very many opportunities to do this. Olimar, on the other hand, wins on neutral ground and has many opportunities to just tack on damage.

I honestly know nothing about DK planking Olimar. I have an Oli friend who says he tested it and that it's impossible for Olimar to beat DK's planking on Yoshi's specifically, but it'll get beat elsewhere.

For convenience, here's a post Will made regarding the match-up. This was back in 2010 so he's probably learned some new things about the match-up, but I'll leave that for him to answer.
I have a lot of experience with this matchup. So I will give you all the suggestions I can think of =)

First off, I think up b is a pretty good way to kill the pikmin that attach to DK. However, there are times when it is more beneficial for you to jump and up air to get them off of you, since up air covers most of DK's body (at least his torso and head areas) and gets you out of the way of more incoming pikmin that are being tossed. Anything that up air doesn't kill, b-air/n-air will. Up air is usually the best option imo since it's really fast and covers most options. In addition I think up tilt is another good grounded method of killing pikmin, or down smash if you are far away from him.

Also, I saw you tried to go for that up b gimp from the edge but missed the timing =P That works reallllly well against olimar if you hit him out of his double jump with it. Then you drift back onto the stage or regrab the edge depending on when you think he is going to up b. But that is a great tool toward gimping him as well.

Don't be afraid to go mad far off stage against Olimar and throw out a b-air, bc even if you miss he will be forced to recover low, in which case your up b can beat him back to the edge before he can grab it with his up b. Also, it's fairly easy to expect an air dodge or down b super armor, so just waiting for it then b-airing usually works well.

In terms of purple pikmin.... sigh. Those things really are a pain in the ***. In order to prevent most of them from coming out, you're going to have to stay on him. And its really hard to pressure him when the only true ways in are grounded up b and down b.

In terms of getting through and killing the purples, you absolutely need to use fully charged punches as often as possible. In addition to killing the purples, it beats Olimar's grabs. Yes, Olimar cannot grab armor the punch, if he grabs you while it hits him, the grab auto breaks!

Also, in general a good approach if you can get in close to Olimar- down tilts on his shield. It's hard to get in that close, but if you can, spam those d tilts!! Olimar's grab out of shield is too slow to prevent the tilts from hitting his shield/eventually poking through.

Keep asking and I'll keep putting forth what I know. =)

Dnyce

Smash Master
I 2-stocked ook on brinstar back when I was bad.... I would only really focus on stuff from Will. I took him to last hit on Yoshi's with a 60% run off the stage and upB but do it too early and just momentum slide off the edge into helpless falling and SD :p

Neon!

Smash Lord
60:40 Dk needs to abuse all of his tricks in this one and be creative in approaching oli. Down-b and up-b are great for punishing olimars landing and we're good at limiting his recovery. Nine wind can kill at 65% or so and isn't too hard to land considering oli's low priority.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Nine wind can kill at 65% or so and isn't too hard to land considering oli's low priority.
(1) What the hell is nine wind

(2) Olimar's attacks have pretty good priority; however, they're not used very often so I fail to see the reason in mentioning them. Ideally Olimar wants to be camping and spacing DK rather than getting in his face.

Cook

Smash Master
Me and Atomsk tried testing Olimar vs. DK's planking right after WHOBO. If I remember right, if you drop a n-air on him while he is doing up-b off the stage the n-air wins. I think I just did short hop, then fastfall n-air. I'm guessing that he could up-air instead if he thinks you're gonna n-air and the up-air would probably win, but idk. But I also think that if you jump after he drops from the ledge you have the luxury of being able to see if he does up-b, and if he doesn't then you can just jump back to the stage. It's been a while, so I don't remember for sure how it all worked, but we were both pretty convinced that n-air was a pretty safe and reliable way to stop his planking. Just test it out sometime.

Also, wut @ Olimar having decent priority... seems pretty bad to me since like everyone's attacks go through most of them.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····

(1) What the hell is nine wind
9 *whooshes* on DK's Giant punch. MUCH stronger than his fully charged one. kills about 20% earlier. most DK's don't use it because its 8 frames slower and doesn't have SA

and just to tell you that you have to have pretty good timing to hit DK out of planking. The way most people do it is to fast fall then double jump up-b which is very very slow.

the best way to do it is to hit to the side so you don't fastfall, and then have c-stick set to b-stick and hit up.

you have ~ 3 frames to hit DK out of it and they are 4-6 frames after hit giant INVINCIBLE hitbox on up-b.

Cook

Smash Master
^Well that's true, but it's pretty obvious that Neon was referring to Olimar's pikmin moves.

Neon!

Smash Lord
I'll do a quick overview of the stages from DK's perspective, +1 means decent counterpick, +2 means great counter pick. Some of these stages I can really see going either way which is why some of them have an "or"

Battlefield = or +1
Final Destination -2
Lylat Cruise = or +1
Pokémon Stadium +1 or =
Smashville =
Yoshi’s Island +2
Brinstar +2
Frigate Orpheon +1 or =
Halberd -2
Pictochat =
Rainbow Cruise +1

I'll be glad to explain any of these numbers but for the most part dk should be cp'ing yoshi's or brinstar and olimar should be cp'ing FD or halberd.

Olimars I've played recently: Cake, Rich Brown, Logic.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Actually, the reason why 9-wind is easy here is because Olimar doesn't have grab armor. If you see his pivot grab, you can drop a 9 wind right into his face and it'll just blow him up. It might even punch through stuff like f-smashes, pikmin priority is weird and I don't understand it. Easy to shield, but it'll punish Oli's who get too dedicated to certain tactics really badly.

Olimar really does need to stay unpredictable here. We have a lot of hard punishes on Olimar if he thinks he can do something like pivot grab everytime we're about to land. Side-b, for example, will go right over it and make you very sad.

I can agree with a 60:40 though. It's somewhere imbetween that and 55:45. I say 55:45 just because we have the edge on CPs, but I don't know how that accounts into match-ups.

Edit: Neon, don't forget PS2. I really would go to PS2 as the CP, unless Brinstar wasn't the banned stage. Even then, PS2 is a safer choice than Brinstar, that stage always ends in something stupid happening.

RichBrown

Smash Master
Well if there's no LGL, just don't go to the tournament

But if there IS an LGL, just attack like a madman. DK is a combo machine, and if you practice enough against a level 3 DK, you'll just learn how to combo the **** out of him and frame trap him to the point where he just can't do anything at all. The WORST thing you can do is play afraid. Since DK is so strong and DK mains know he is strong and the people who fight DK know he is strong, DK opponents play in fear of dying to punch really early. But DK is slow as **** so just KEEP ATTACKING.

Lvl 3 computer DK, do it

Also I need to figure out how to punish DK's upB better lol

Top Bottom