• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alternate/Better bomb jump for Link

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
The other problem is that it turns you around, because you have to hit the bomb on the inside, so you can't grip on your landing. Although, if you have the extra Up+B, you have a semi advantage towards the edge. Its a trade-off I guess.

DMoogle

A$
I would need to play around with it first to make sure, but it looks like you need to have little horizontal momentum in order for it to work, which cuts down on the effectiveness of it.

Still cool though.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I wonder whether it is possible to SDI the Bomb hit to make Link travel a bit further.

Also, can't you also u-air instead of up b'ing into the bomb

Kabutox

Smash Apprentice
Don't think this is effective.. I think you get further using the second jump, since it cancels the momentum..

DMoogle

A$
Oooh, probably one advantage to this is that, because of the way momentum sort of "sticks" with Link's up-B, DIing this toward the stage is probably easier than the other method.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Don't think this is effective.. I think you get further using the second jump, since it cancels the momentum..
I doubt this is less effective than the old bomb jump, considering the bit of extra distance gained by the first up-B.

Whether it is more effective than a normal jump + up-B is probably a question of DI/if Link's % is high enough, but the same could be said for the old bomb jump, so whatever.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I would need to play around with it first to make sure, but it looks like you need to have little horizontal momentum in order for it to work, which cuts down on the effectiveness of it.

Still cool though.
+1

not really useful

but so is the old bomb jump... useful 1 out of 1000 times

The Star King

Smash Hero
anyone else try u-airing the bomb instead, it also seems useful
Why would you do that when you can up-b and gain a bit more distance?

Lol'd at NixxxoN's edits. I'm guessing he remembered a certain someone telling him "u dont know what ur talking about" in the past...

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
This is very situational. You'd have to already have a bomb in your hand as you're being knocked away for this to be useful. Otherwise, you have to pull out a bomb without jumping, which will already cause you to be farther behind in your recovery.

I find bomb recovering not very useful at all. If you do somehow manage to make it on the stage, you've got so much landing lag, you're just getting thrown/fsmashed back off stage. Maybe unless you're high enough that you can throw your boomerang to turn back the right way...

The Star King

Smash Hero
I like how people seem to be under the impression that Tech EDGE was presenting this as a useful technique.

Kabutox

Smash Apprentice
I dont think you get me, if you fly far enough away in the first place to need it, you will end up like millions of meters away from the stage if you don't use the second jump, since you won't move to the right immediately because of the momentum from the hit that sent you offstage.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I think I found this a while ago but figured it wasn't useful since no one had ever mentioned it before lol. And I don't play Link so I promptly forgot about it.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I thought Melee had a sorta-similar thing (since Link's Up-B is higher in that) and I've been trying to figure out how it might change, but I gave up.

Nice find.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I thought Melee had a sorta-similar thing (since Link's Up-B is higher in that) and I've been trying to figure out how it might change, but I gave up.
It does, but it's better because you can pull it out during the jump, since you don't need to use the jump during the throw, thus not losing as much distance. Not only that, but you gain more height from the first up-B, and you can grab the edge backwards. So it's pretty much better in every way in Melee lol

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Im surprised people are so surprised

Thought you guys knew about this
Yeah, same. I did this awhile back when I was playing around with link's bomb jump variations. I never brought it up because I thought it was less useful than the old one.

I guess if you already had a bomb out this one is slightly better.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
which way does a bomb fling you if it explodes in your hand

i totally should know this but mind blank atm

is jumping, boomerang backwards and up-b *explode* possible recovery a viable recovery?

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
The bomb hits you away from the bomb. If you are holding the bomb to your right side, it will shoot you to the left. If you are recovering and facing the stage, it will hit you away from the stage. If you up-B, you are spinning, so it depends on which side the bomb is when it explodes.

I might be wrong, but I believe that is the case.

The Star King

Smash Hero
If you up-B, you are spinning, so it depends on which side the bomb is when it explodes.
Most important part. You're spinning, so it depends which direction you're facing. It's pretty unreliable since it's quite hard to consistently get hit in one direction while doing the up-B, so I would say this is better.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Back when I was trying to get as good a score doing break the targets and board the platforms with every character (still working on it... though very lazily), one thing I had to do with Link very often is raise his damage to insanely high percents, then up-B with a bomb blowing up. I actually did it enough that I could almost consistently get myself blown up in the right direction near the top of my up-B. So it is something that if you practice the timing enough, you can get it consistently, but as Star King said, it's not the most reliable option. But then again, you're dead if you don't do it anyways... ;)

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Why would you do that when you can up-b and gain a bit more distance?

Lol'd at NixxxoN's edits. I'm guessing he remembered a certain someone telling him "u dont know what ur talking about" in the past...
Lol I still remember it, apparently malva is saving himself all day with this, but I dont remember him posting any video about it. Maybe he saves himself against noobs who can't edgeguard, who knows. Well, in fact, you dont even need much edgeguarding knowledge to make it useless

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
"This is me proving that anthing is possible in a game if u believe."

Inspirational sh*t right thar.

Dsc

Smash Ace
He used a jump before he upb'd.
In the other one, he only upb'd.
they are very very very different

:phone:

Top Bottom