• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stepping into the Future: The DDD Metagame Thread

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
As we know, Dedede is not one of this game's most popular characters. Many would say that he is a linear character with a metagame that is at a standstill. I disagree with this. I believe we have many things that we can discussing and working on as a whole. A great deal of the information we have on these boards is outdated. We have had some new discoveries however and alongside other topics, I feel like we need to come together as a board and discuss these things. The purpose of this thread is talk about tactics, topics of interest and other things that will facilitate the growth of our character. I will be bringing up topics and we shall be focusing on those. Even if you feel like you don't know much, you should still ask questions and post. This thread is hopefully going to turn into a reference thread where we can look back at our ideas and discussions and utilize them.

DISCUSSION TOPIC 1: PLATFORM CANCELING

The act of canceling your initial jump on a moving platform above you. Doing so successfully causes you to land on the platform immediately from your jump on its ascent and allow you to use any move immediately afterward. You can also buffer attacks using this method.

The 2 ways to platform cancel with King Dedede:

Method 1: While jumping (only on your first jump), wait until you level with the platform (watch DDD's feet) and use Down Air by pressing the C-Stick.

Method 2: While jumping (only on your first jump), hold down on the control stick. While level with the platform release down on the control stick.

This technique can be utilized on stage with a moving a platform. It is most commonly used on Smashville, Lylat Cruise, and Rainbow Cruise.

What are some uses and applications that you personally like to use? Are there stages you feel like we can abuse this more than others? Are there setups and mindgames that you feel we have access to using this? Do you feel like one method is easier to use than another? Discuss!

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
I personally use c-stick. Personally this feels like its one of ddd's most useful advanced techniques to incorporate. Its also pretty fun to use. The most obvious use for it is on smashville. Some things that I personally use for this are platform-cancel if they are on the platform and catch them off guard and do the moving platform chain-grab infinite to downsmash when it stops moving. Another application that i love using is platform cancel to dash attk, its really funny looking and it comes out really fast that ud probably catch ur opponent off guard with it.

ZTD | TECHnology

Maybe I'm just weird but I use both methods to Platform Cancel. I've pretty much mastered this technique now and both methods feel fluid to me. However I feel like the holding down on the C-Stick method is easier to implement (most people disagree with this however).

I use that method when I'm far away from my opponent or when I don't think I'll get hit because if you do get hit and you're holding down...yeah...hella bad DI lol. But I feel like its easier to use on platforms that are constantly moving like on Lylat and Rainbow. Timing a Dair on a platform that changes altitude is pretty hard. Plus if you screw up then you end up doing a laggy Dair into the ground.

I use the C-stick method on Smashville because its super easy. I use audio cue from Dedede's jump (he makes this weird noise when he goes his first jump) and right when it ends I flick the C-stick and it works every time.

But as far as applications I love this on Lylat and Cruise because it makes moving around so much easier for us. And we can easily just PC and then poke an opponent below us with a Dair and nbot have the laggy ending animation. Its also just really funny when someone is above you and expects a Up-Tilt and you PC and grab them or something else.

I feel like this is one of those techs that EVERY DDD needs to MASTER. It gives you so many options on several stages that we can fight effectively on. I could write an essay on this **** but I want to hear more opinions.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I DEFINITELY agree. Lylat, for example, is incredibly underrated for us, especially against characters we can't CG. Platform Cancel ALL DAY there, pay some attention to the stage and you should be able to get a feel as to when the stage is actually tilting (when it's not moving, you can't PC). Seriously, a lot of people won't see it coming. They'll approach high, prepare for a BAir, but won't see a grab coming.

ZTD | TECHnology

I started CPing Pikachus and MKs here as a test and its been working out well. Pikachu' CG will usually get messed up here and then you can work the stage to your advantage. PCing allows you keep up with those annoying mobile characters that run circles around us otherwise. Its fun :)

:phone:

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
IMO best way to PC:

Hold down on Control Stick, flick C-Stick Up.
Works with every character + It has like no lag (Or no Lag) for most characters (Some Characters have Lag with C-Down Air)

LC also makes infiniting Wolf (Ledge Infinites in general) easier, just leaving that here :)
YI btw. too.

(I come from Europe and we spam PC anyway so nothing new for me xD)

ZTD | TECHnology

Does anyone else have anything to contribute to this topic. If not I'll introduce other stuff but leave the floor open for discussion on everything in case anyone else has other stuff to add.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
I haven't found King Dedede's platform cancelling to be that great (compared to other characters), but it's useful enough to learn. I haven't tried grabbing out of it, so I'll have to implement that into my game.

Also I didn't know about that second method for platform cancelling (control stick method). I always wondered why I struggled to platform cancel on Lylat - Lylat's one of my personal favourites so I'll be sure to practise this some more!

Top Bottom