• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mr. Game & Watch Matchup Export~

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Mr. Game & Watch
:gw: :gw: :gw: :gw: :gw: :gw: :gw: :gw: :gw: :gw: :gw: :gw:

Wolf's Current Ratio: -1

Annoying Moves:
Killing:
Zoning:
Chaingrabs/Tilt Locks/Grab Releases:
What To Do Offstage:
Stages
- Strike:
- Ban:
- Pick:
MU Tricksies:
Synopsis and Quotes:

:059:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
This match-up is not in GW's favor.

Just be wary about his grab range and generally try to not close in. GW will not be able to kill you if you do it right. Keeping him away with fair and bair shouldn't be so hard and you can freely poke his shield as long as you're at solid range ... he has like no OoS options that are threatening to us.
Don't get gimmicked ... I see so many people getting killed in a really stupid manner because they fall for GW's baits. There is no reason this should happen more than once during a match ... GW can't approach well and he can't camp well. Just fight him with non-commitment and most of the time GW struggles to find an effective way to do *anything*. When I say "wait for him until he moves, then hit him" I am *not* kidding.

GW is dumb on CPs though. Not much you can do especially since pocket XY won't beat GW main on Brinstar / RC. So glad either one or the other is always banned in EU lol.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Idk about CPs being THAT bad for Wolf... Brinstar helps G&W out but isn't something I'd switch characters for, especially since Wolf is decent enough on that stage. Never had the "pleasure" of playing one on RC so I can't say much about that, I usually ban RC in this MU.

+1 for everything else Gheb said, basically. G&W's fair is a bit annoying, since it has great range/power and can intercept our sideB relatively well, but it's not the fastest move to come out which makes it easier to deal with. It's mostly a hassle offstage, and is probably the most reliable way for G&W to get kills (take Wolf offstage and intercept recovery with strong fair). His bair has good range and the disjoint makes it pretty useful against Wolf, but if you're good at SDIing out of it and all it's really not a big issue.

Whenever I'm fighting G&W in the air, the main concern I have is making sure I'm attacking as quickly as possible since Wolf's bair/fair/uair all outspeed bair/fair/dair which makes juggling pretty effective. It's a bit hard to believe at first, but if you're quick enough and have a platform around, uair > uair > dj fair on G&W starting at like 50-60% is somewhat difficult for him to get out of and can kill. I've done it, Seagull's done it, it's not something that's guaranteed but G&Ws should be aware of what can happen to them if they allow themselves to be juggled. Instead of trying to dair out, airdodge the fair, it works much much better.

On the topic of dthrows, avoid getting grabbed by G&W because a good read out of dthrow can do some serious damage and even take your stock if you're around 85% since usmash is ridiculous + Wolf has no fastfall. Wolf's dthrow near the ledge however, is pretty great at killing G&W. Since he's so light, he'll get sent pretty far offstage and won't have an opportunity to tech, so at high %s all you need to do is edgehog after sending him off to take the stock.

Once again for emphasis, avoid overcommitting and getting baited. G&W can take massive advantage of these things, and it's how he can/will score early kills. Without those reads and baits, there is very little about G&W that's actually threatening. Not to say that he's hopeless, but the main point is that if G&W doesn't make those hard reads and lure you into his smashes, odds are he's not coming out on top.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
This match-up is not in GW's favor.

Just be wary about his grab range and generally try to not close in. GW will not be able to kill you if you do it right. Keeping him away with fair and bair shouldn't be so hard and you can freely poke his shield as long as you're at solid range ... he has like no OoS options that are threatening to us.
Don't get gimmicked ... I see so many people getting killed in a really stupid manner because they fall for GW's baits. There is no reason this should happen more than once during a match ... GW can't approach well and he can't camp well. Just fight him with non-commitment and most of the time GW struggles to find an effective way to do *anything*. When I say "wait for him until he moves, then hit him" I am *not* kidding.

GW is dumb on CPs though. Not much you can do especially since pocket XY won't beat GW main on Brinstar / RC. So glad either one or the other is always banned in EU lol.

G&W can camp any character,wtf you talking about lol
upb,great air mobility, and planking
Also he has UpB OoS which is pretty reliable and hard to punish in most situations.

Idk about CPs being THAT bad for Wolf... Brinstar helps G&W out but isn't something I'd switch characters for, especially since Wolf is decent enough on that stage. Never had the "pleasure" of playing one on RC so I can't say much about that, I usually ban RC in this MU.

+1 for everything else Gheb said, basically. G&W's fair is a bit annoying, since it has great range/power and can intercept our sideB relatively well, but it's not the fastest move to come out which makes it easier to deal with. It's mostly a hassle offstage, and is probably the most reliable way for G&W to get kills (take Wolf offstage and intercept recovery with strong fair). His bair has good range and the disjoint makes it pretty useful against Wolf, but if you're good at SDIing out of it and all it's really not a big issue.

Whenever I'm fighting G&W in the air, the main concern I have is making sure I'm attacking as quickly as possible since Wolf's bair/fair/uair all outspeed bair/fair/dair which makes juggling pretty effective. It's a bit hard to believe at first, but if you're quick enough and have a platform around, uair > uair > dj fair on G&W starting at like 50-60% is somewhat difficult for him to get out of and can kill. I've done it, Seagull's done it, it's not something that's guaranteed but G&Ws should be aware of what can happen to them if they allow themselves to be juggled. Instead of trying to dair out, airdodge the fair, it works much much better.

On the topic of dthrows, avoid getting grabbed by G&W because a good read out of dthrow can do some serious damage and even take your stock if you're around 85% since usmash is ridiculous + Wolf has no fastfall. Wolf's dthrow near the ledge however, is pretty great at killing G&W. Since he's so light, he'll get sent pretty far offstage and won't have an opportunity to tech, so at high %s all you need to do is edgehog after sending him off to take the stock.

Once again for emphasis, avoid overcommitting and getting baited. G&W can take massive advantage of these things, and it's how he can/will score early kills. Without those reads and baits, there is very little about G&W that's actually threatening. Not to say that he's hopeless, but the main point is that if G&W doesn't make those hard reads and lure you into his smashes, odds are he's not coming out on top.

You're both seeming to forget that G&W has uair and Nair
Once mistake from wolf ,and you're going to get juggled 30 %+ with uair and nair mixes,especially at early percentages
Not to mention,once you're offstage, you can very easily get read into a smash or more juggles if you don't recover correctly. Fair also gimps wolf fairly well.

Wolf can kill G&W pretty early (70%ish if not careful) and has better chance of landing it, so that's what makes this MU difficult for G&W.

55:45 our favor
6:4 on cps

Choice

Smash Champion
gnw can't really uair wolf caz of how fast he moves in the air.

Laem

Smash Champion
I used to play this MU ALOT with EU's then best g&w
g&w combos wolf with nair, pretty badly, especially compared to other characters.
his fair is effective vs a recovering wolf
Beating his dair from below isn't worth trying, but wolf can manoeuvre around it. Smart g&ws will deff. adapt to this though. All in all his dair is good cuz it limits options and will kill a high % ballsy Wofl.
His smashes are mighty strong, but wolf, moreso than other characters, is great at avoiding 'em.
g&w has a slow attack speed. Wolfs is fast. Obvious pro.
Wolf can give gw some trouble when recovering, mainly through edgehogging and then dropoff jump aerial. After a dthrow at high % at the edge g&w won't recover at all :O.

Gaki probably had the greatest uair uair fair kill on g&w back in early '09 :). It was on the mountain stage of PS: he utilized like every platform, working himself and kaak up with consecutive uairs and then finished it with a fair. B e a utiful stuff.

MU tricksies: when being hit by falling bair: hold stick up > shine (if landing now, combo into jab)
Be very precise when punishing g&ws upsmash. Looooow cooldown.
Be careful in general i guess. Kaak would always try to trade hits: his usmash vs my bair. Not cool when that happened (Kinda awesome actually).

There's way too much to discuss for any given mu so i didn't say all too much
MU ratio: i'd say even.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
G&W can camp any character,wtf you talking about lol
upb,great air mobility, and planking
Also he has UpB OoS which is pretty reliable and hard to punish in most situations.

You're both seeming to forget that G&W has uair and Nair
Once mistake from wolf ,and you're going to get juggled 30 %+ with uair and nair mixes,especially at early percentages
Not to mention,once you're offstage, you can very easily get read into a smash or more juggles if you don't recover correctly. Fair also gimps wolf fairly well.

Wolf can kill G&W pretty early (70%ish if not careful) and has better chance of landing it, so that's what makes this MU difficult for G&W.

55:45 our favor
6:4 on cps
And you forget about shine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY7mQgUj7i0

Matchup in a nutshell^

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
There's no way Wolf kills that early unless he catches G&W in horribad DI at the ledge. Earliest ever is around 90%, and G&W can kill at around the same %s with a good read. Without making those reads though, Wolf has an easier time killing than G&W imo.

By camping, I think Gheb meant "actually do something by camping". G&W's camping won't stop Wolf from approaching if he has to (as in, he's down in %/stock), especially if there are platforms. Wolf can laser through, and if you stop to bucket you eat a DACUS, I'm pretty sure you can understand why that's bad. Having a full bucket just means that Wolf will definitely win the camp war, so... yeah.

Nair, you're right enough on that point, quite the fail on my part to leave it out X_x It can combo well at low %s at set up for juggles, which can lead into a grab on the way down if there are no platforms for Wolf to run away to. Definitely one of G&W's most useful moves in this MU. Wolf can beat it in the air with shine, or bair the side at the beginning. If you land with nair, usmash OoS usually does the trick.

Uair really isn't much of a threat, at least the windbox isn't because it just resets the situation. As Choice said, hitting with uair's hitbox is difficult, and imo it'd be better for G&W to try nairing Wolf's landing from below a platform or shielding on the ground instead. Uair right before landing is hard to hit with, but can set up for combos and whatnot pretty well.

UpB OoS does it's job, but I don't know if G&W wants to be above Wolf all the time. Generally not the best position. As for planking with nair, Wolf can dair G&W out of it, so be cautious.

@ dair talk, Wolf can beat it from the side with fair or punish it upon landing with usmash OoS (gotta be quick though). Only time when dair is an issue is if Wolf jumps and is right below G&W but too far to hit with an uair before dair starts up. In situations like that, dair is great, but otherwise it's definitely manageable.

Reading the recovery easily isn't a character flaw, it's a player getting read. The Wolf shouldn't scar/lightstep/telestep when he knows that you can throw out a smash, simple as that. Reading isn't part of a matchup discussion, it's outplaying your opponent, and different characters in different matchups have more or less to gain from outplaying their opponent to various degrees. G&W has more to gain from a good read than Wolf in this MU, but it doesn't actually change the MU, for instance.

Also, what T said. Trading hits (G&W's smashes vs our bair (usually)) is beautiful and terrifying. One of the reasons why it's important not to overcommit. His smashes have very low cooldown in general, and have solid shieldpush so make sure you know what you can and can't punish.

Watch Seagull's video. Note how he basically threw away all of his first stock, got hit by Oil Panic, and still won with 1 stock low %. Also note how many smash attacks he got hit by. I'm not a G&W expert, but it didn't look like GIMR did anything too stupid or got outplayed by an unreasonably large margin. What should he have done instead, that he didn't do?

Honestly, from everything I've seen and played, my opinion is that this cannot be any worse than even for Wolf.

Camaman

Smash Rookie
This is my easiest match up. I just stand around waiting for the G&W to attack cause most likely I can shine everything he throws at me, even the bair. If he goes into the air for the dair, jump shine backwards for a bair. Pivot grab when he decides to run for the grab. I don't see a way to lose if you learn how to shine all these attacks. Haven't lost a set to a G&W ever since.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
This is my easiest match up. I just stand around waiting for the G&W to attack cause most likely I can shine everything he throws at me, even the bair. If he goes into the air for the dair, jump shine backwards for a bair. Pivot grab when he decides to run for the grab. I don't see a way to lose if you learn how to shine all these attacks. Haven't lost a set to a G&W ever since.
Hi Camaman! What made you decide to make an account on smashboards? Glad to see/talk to moar Wofls.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
:O Camaman, about time you made an account lol. Welcome to the Wolf boards, nice to see you here :)

/offtopicgreeting

Idk why, but I always have difficulty jumpshining G&W's dair ;_;

castorpollux

Smash Champion
camamaammaamammamamamaannn

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Wolf's forward air out ranges GWs b-air, that is all...

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Lol at Seagull going MK for Brinstar.

G&W's upB is pretty much vital in this MU, invincibility at the start up will really help out if he makes a mistake due to Wolf's moves punishing this mistakes very quickly.

Top Bottom